Mothering Forum banner

WHEN were your babies born

7K views 90 replies 61 participants last post by  Scalpel 
#1 ·
What I want to know (in light of the induction thread) is WHEN your babies were born. I really want to know is WHEN women who WERE NOT induced or elected to have c-sections went into labor.

I feel like women who aren't messed with carry longer in general. I wonder if this is true. So here is what I am wondering.

WHERE DID YOU BIRTH:
HOW FAR ALONG WERE YOU:
WERE YOU INDUCED:
ELECTIVE C-SECTION:
REASON FOR INDUCTION/C-SECTION:
SIZE OF BABIES:
TYPE OF TWINS:

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR DECISIONS:

#52 ·
I think what the OP is getting at is the situation when a twin mama hits a certain point in pregnancy & faces induction/elective C-section instead of waiting things out. I've never heard anyone suggest 35 weeks is term with twins, though. I think when I hit 36 weeks my care providers would not try to stop labor, but they were firmly unwilling to schedule a C-section even a day before 38 weeks. I never faced pressure to get my babies out sooner than they came. Maybe people get more worked up with twins, but it seems like singleton mamas face this if they go someone's idea of post-dates, too.

I can't imagine anyone thinks 32-weekers come because of medical (mis)management.

There was a study that came out some time in the last year & was published in a widely read mainstream medical journal, like JAMA our New England Journal of Medicine, about repeat elective C-sections. They were very strict in their inclusion criteria about only including mamas who could have VBAC-ed,but chose not to for whatever reason. There was evidence of increased risk to babies, even born at 39 weeks. Of course they were only looking at singleton moms, but it seems very clear that absent a compelling reasons to get a baby out sooner, babies know when to come.

#53 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by f&p'smama View Post

I can't imagine anyone thinks 32-weekers come because of medical (mis)management.
Well, I would think that, too, but this quote makes me wonder.

Quote:
There seems to be this association with being pregnant with twins and only carrying to 35 weeks scenario. So basically, as a mom of twins, are you more likely to have pre-term labor and birth just because you have more than one baby...or in reality, is it that care providers are causing a rise in pre-term labor and birth by overly medically managing women carrying twins.
I don't know if it's just a lack of clarity in the writing or what. But it does sound like the OP is suggesting that preterm labor and birth in multiples may be caused by medical mismanagement and that if we were all just left alone, we'd go full term.

#54 ·
OGirlieMama - I hear you. Yes, what medical management is there that would CAUSE a mom to not go full term? None.

Again as I've said before, we can do everything right and they come full term. We can do everything wrong and they come full term. We can do everything right and they come early. You do the best you can and hope for the best.

#55 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post
Well, I would think that, too, but this quote makes me wonder.

I don't know if it's just a lack of clarity in the writing or what. But it does sound like the OP is suggesting that preterm labor and birth in multiples may be caused by medical mismanagement and that if we were all just left alone, we'd go full term.
The second quote is what I was reacting to as well. I can see all points today. For many, preterm birth isn't on the radar; for those of us who have experienced it, it's right there in the forefront of our minds. I like what Shukr said, if it was about breastfeeding we would be having the same arguments. That really put it into perspective for me.

#56 ·
WHERE DID YOU BIRTH: hospital

HOW FAR ALONG WERE YOU: 39w2d

WERE YOU INDUCED: no

ELECTIVE C-SECTION: no

REASON FOR INDUCTION/C-SECTION: I had an unplanned section due to maternal and fetal distress. My blood pressure suddenly skyrocketed, I had a high fever and my distress was causing the babies to exhibit signs of distress. After about 3 weeks of pro-dromal labor, 12 hours of mild labor and several hours of labor so hard the experienced doula thought I was in transition I was dilated all of 1cm (this is a common side effect of infection). Neither tylenol nor IV administered antibiotics were able to get my raging infection under control so we moved to the c-section. It turned out that my GBS had colonized both placentas.

SIZE OF BABIES: 6lb 8 oz, 6lb 13oz

TYPE OF TWINS: fraternal

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR DECISIONS: Good. I feel like I was able to put my wishes aside for their best interests which in our case was the section. It sucked to heal and I don't recommend them unless medically necessary. It was much easier to go down the section road since my doctor/midwives had been so supportive of my natural birth plans and since the practice had a good history of non-interventions in twin births.

#57 ·
WHERE DID YOU BIRTH: Home
HOW FAR ALONG WERE YOU: 40w 3d
WERE YOU INDUCED: castor oil
REASON FOR INDUCTION/C-SECTION: I felt like I was not doing well. I started throwing up again and just really felt like they were better off out than in. It was not about me being uncomfortable or anything, I really felt like I was not giving them what they needed and I was not getting what I needed. Looking back I think I was pretty anemic and if I had dealt with that (which I was aware I needed to deal with but didn't) I would not have felt so bad.
SIZE OF BABIES: 7lb 15oz, 8lb 3oz
TYPE OF TWINS: MZ - di/di

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR DECISIONS: It was a great decision! Not an east one at all but it was the best thing to do for me. It was a great birth and so nice to be in my peacful, dark house. There is also no way I would have made it to the hospital in time!

#58 ·
WHERE DID YOU BIRTH: Hospital
HOW FAR ALONG WERE YOU: 33 weeks 2 days
WERE YOU INDUCED: No
ELECTIVE C-SECTION: No
REASON FOR INDUCTION/C-SECTION: Baby A born vaginally, Baby B was breech and born c-section
SIZE OF BABIES: 4# 2oz, 3# 11 oz
TYPE OF TWINS: Fraternal

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR DECISIONS: I don't necessarily feel that I made the decisions regarding my twins births, so much as they just happened. My water broke, Baby A was born while I was being checked in triage and I was rushed off for an emergency C-section because Baby B was breech and the hospital wouldn't allow him to be born vaginally. My OB told me later with much regret that she could have easily just reached in and pulled him out. There was another doctor there, though, and I think she was concerned about liability. All that said, though, I feel some sadness about how it all went down (mainly that DH missed both births) but not so much regret. They will be 17 months tomorrow and are the most beautiful, healthy babies you've ever seen. They have no developmental delays and I count my blessings for that everyday. So for me, the bummer of having a c-section is totally outweighed by the joy of having these two wonderful people in my life.

#59 ·
Quote:

Maybe it is lack of clarity, but what I got from it was not that we'd all go term if left alone, but that the averages for how long twin pregnancies typically carry would probably be a hell of a lot higher if you didn't include routine inductions or cesareans at 38, 37, or even (sheesh!) 36 weeks. Those of you who have been on this forum long enough know that there are plenty of moms whose doctors have recommended a "twins are term at 36 weeks, due at 38 weeks, and post-dates at 40 weeks" intervention. Yes, I do consider that medical mismanagement (in the absence of some other compelling reason, TTTS, IUGR, or mono-mono twins, or something like that). And yes, it does skew the numbers and make the averages look like twins are always early. And no, I don't think that's a helpful message to send to moms expecting twins.

#60 ·
HOW FAR ALONG WERE YOU: 37 1/2 weeks
WERE YOU INDUCED: yes
ELECTIVE C-SECTION: sort of
REASON FOR INDUCTION/C-SECTION: Pre-E
SIZE OF BABIES: 5 lbs and 5 lbs 13oz
TYPE OF TWINS: MZ - shared placenta

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR DECISIONS: I feel good about all the decisions. I began to develop severe pre-e and was induced and feel okay about that decision because after the girls were born I was back in the hospital for 4 days due to severe post-delivery eclampsia, so clearly the induction was needed for my health, unfortunately, I am always one of those odd cases and delivery did not fix the pre-e. The girls' heads got lodged together (both wanted to come out first) and so a c-section was needed once baby A started having serious heart decels. The section sucked and the post-delivery pre-E was worse, but after having a late-pregnancy loss, all that really matters in the end is that I have two healthy babies!!

That being said, if I wasn't induced at 37 weeks I would have probably carried these babies forever as I was not dilated at all and still had a closed long (5 cm) cervix! and this was after 9 weeks of bedrest due to severe contractions! My body is crazy!

#61 ·
WHERE DID YOU BIRTH: at home, in a birth pool
HOW FAR ALONG WERE YOU: 40 weeks, 1 day
ELECTIVE C-SECTION: n/a
REASON FOR INDUCTION/C-SECTION: n/a
SIZE OF BABIES: 6 lbs 10 oz, 8 lbs 4 oz
TYPE OF TWINS: di/di
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR DECISIONS: I feel extremely blessed that I was able to have my twins safely at home. I realize that it could have gone very differently, and I feel fortunate. If I could do it over again, I would absolutely plan a homebirth again.

#62 ·
The whole due at 38 weeks thing drives me batty. Babies are meant to bake 40 weeks, just because twins usually come earlier then that doesn't mean that going full term in being overdue. They try to tell me how overdue I was at 39w and I gave them an earful about how asinine that was.

#63 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by christyc View Post
Maybe it is lack of clarity, but what I got from it was not that we'd all go term if left alone, but that the averages for how long twin pregnancies typically carry would probably be a hell of a lot higher if you didn't include routine inductions or cesareans at 38, 37, or even (sheesh!) 36 weeks. Those of you who have been on this forum long enough know that there are plenty of moms whose doctors have recommended a "twins are term at 36 weeks, due at 38 weeks, and post-dates at 40 weeks" intervention. Yes, I do consider that medical mismanagement (in the absence of some other compelling reason, TTTS, IUGR, or mono-mono twins, or something like that). And yes, it does skew the numbers and make the averages look like twins are always early. And no, I don't think that's a helpful message to send to moms expecting twins.

All factors considered, both of my twin pregnancies were pretty much the same. But one ended in a beautiful homebirth and one ended in a horrible cesarean. I also had the pressure (from both doctors and midwives) to induce at 37 weeks-which I didn't, but I'd consider that medical mis-management, especially since I was planning a VBAC. Maybe I'm crazy, but I also consider it medical mis-management when doctors pressure moms to limit weight gain or fail to counsel them on adequate protein intake and nutrition. So basically, my thoughts are that you can do everything "right" and have a great birth or you can do everything "right" and still have things go wrong. But the bottom line is that moms are being pressured into inductions that are not medically indicated and that leads to preterm births and the thinking that twins always come early.

#64 ·
HOW FAR ALONG WERE YOU: 32wks
REASON FOR INDUCTION/C-SECTION: transverse baby a descending down through my stitched-up cervix
i had a cerclage for a short cervix...
SIZE OF BABIES: 3lb 9oz, 4lb 4oz

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR DECISIONS: didn't make a decision, i was whisked to the hospital in an ambulance b/c i was in labor and my husband was in the bathroom, on the floor, barfing w/stomach flu!

#65 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleheather79 View Post

All factors considered, both of my twin pregnancies were pretty much the same. But one ended in a beautiful homebirth and one ended in a horrible cesarean. I also had the pressure (from both doctors and midwives) to induce at 37 weeks-which I didn't, but I'd consider that medical mis-management, especially since I was planning a VBAC. Maybe I'm crazy, but I also consider it medical mis-management when doctors pressure moms to limit weight gain or fail to counsel them on adequate protein intake and nutrition. So basically, my thoughts are that you can do everything "right" and have a great birth or you can do everything "right" and still have things go wrong. But the bottom line is that moms are being pressured into inductions that are not medically indicated and that leads to preterm births and the thinking that twins always come early.
Yeah, inductions for no reason other than some OB's misguided ideas makes me want to go ballistic!

#66 ·
WHERE DID YOU BIRTH: At the hospital
HOW FAR ALONG WERE YOU: 38w exactly
WERE YOU INDUCED: yes
REASON FOR INDUCTION/C-SECTION: I was induced because my dd (baby B) has a major congenital heart defect. We *thought* she would need surgery within a day or two of being born (turned out she was a bit stronger than they'd anticipated and we were able to wait 2 months!) and wanted to sort of coordinate her care a bit to make sure there were certain doctors/surgeons available and not on vacation. I told the perinatologists that I would absolutely not be induced before 38 weeks, and by then, my bp had started to rise and was getting really worried about dd, so I caved. The c-sec was due to baby A's cord prolapsed, once they did the c-sec, they also found baby b's placenta had partially abrupted, so even if baby A had been born vaginally, we would have done a c-sec for B.
SIZE OF BABIES: Baby A : 6#4oz, baby B 5#15oz
TYPE OF TWINS: Di/Di

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR DECISIONS: I do have regrets, I wish I could have had the resolve to go a bit further with the pregnancy. But at the same time, I was using so much leave from work to go to dr's appointments that I was running out of available leave for after the babies were born. As it was, I ended up going back just shy of 6 weeks pp. I wasn't even medically cleared to go back to work, but medical bills were just piling up and my leave had run out. I couldn't afford to be without a paycheck for even one day. My higher bp was starting to take a toll on me physically, and I was really feeling pretty terrible. I was given an out and I took it. While I regret it now, I'm not sure if given the same circumstances again that I'd do anything differently, cause I was feeling pretty rotten.

#67 ·
WHERE DID YOU BIRTH: Hospital (home birth not an option where I live)
HOW FAR ALONG WERE YOU: 36 and 3
WERE YOU INDUCED: membranes stripped due to 6-7 cm dilation and no contractions
REASON FOR INDUCTION/C-SECTION: advanced dilation, no contractions, concern r/t to birth of mono/ di twins. My doc was worried about twin b's position.
SIZE OF BABIES: 3#13 and 3#15
TYPE OF TWINS: Mono/ Di

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR DECISIONS: I ended up with an unmedicated birth in the OR. Wish I would have stayed home longer instead of checking into the hospital at 4 cm dilation...I am not all that fond of hospitals and we were there for 4 days before I went into labor. Still feel guilty/ pain because my guys were teeny tiny and went straight to the NICU where they stayed for 2 and 1/2 weeks.

#68 ·
HOW FAR ALONG WERE YOU: 37 weeks 5 days
WERE YOU INDUCED: NO
ELECTIVE C-SECTION: NO
REASON FOR C-SECTION: Baby A Breeched
SIZE OF BABIES: 6 pounds 6 ounces and 7 pounds 11 ounces
TYPE OF TWINS: girl/boy

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR DECISIONS: In part I feel like the decision was not mine - the hospital would not allow breech delivery. This is a bit disappointing as I think I could have delivered them - they were much smaller than my first and my cervix was ready when I hit the OR room. Much easier and faster labor than my first. But, it the end healthy mom and babies. Recovery from c-section not bad at all.

#69 ·

HOW FAR ALONG WERE YOU: 36 weeks 6 days

REASON FOR INDUCTION/C-SECTION: I went natural until I was in the pushing stag and then I hemorrhaged. They told me (they being my friend's husband the OB) that I could deliver a vag but they'd have to go in and get b via c and perhaps remove my uterus which they couldn't stop from bleeding.

SIZE OF BABIES: 7 lbs 1 oz and 7lbs 3 oz

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR DECISIONS: If I could do it again I wouldn't change a thing, although I wish my hubby had been there to see it. He was in Iraq!

#70 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spring Lily View Post
One of my babies had a complication and the c-section saved her life, but I do believe I would have gone full term otherwise, no signs of cervical change at 34wks. I've never heard that 35 weeks is the expected term for twins, I've always heard it's typically 38-39 weeks.
Some docs consider 36 weeks to be term. I asked the repro endo about this, and his staff said that 40 weeks is term "even" for twins! One thing I've heard/read is that 50% of twins are born by 37 weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nummies View Post
I think that it really is helpful for those of us who are currently pregnant with twins to see both sides of the spectrum here. It does give me comfort to see so many babies born at or near term. However, it also gives me comfort that sometimes, even with mamas do everything "right", that babies do just come early. That is comforting to for me to know that it won't be anything that I did "wrong". So thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

Ditto! I find this all very encouraging and somewhat surprising. I assumed that most twins born in the hospital before 36 weeks would have been born via c/s, for example.

Quote:

That's not really how I took it. And really, as applied to twins especially, the term "elective cesarean" is misleading. To me this indicates that a woman was planning a cesarean from the start. Maybe so, but if so, why? More than likely because her doctor thought it was in her babies' best interest. So is that really elective?

I do think that women who aren't getting pressured after 36 weeks by their CPs are more likely to go to term. But often we have the "you'll need to schedule" threat being made in late term. Too much stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system can certainly delay labor!

And then in my case . . . 38 weeks and both babes are breech. Homebirth isn't an option in my state for twins (or breech).
: And OBs in this community just don't "do" vagi breech. My OBs malpractice insurance doesn't cover him for breech even though he did vagi breech back in the day. If I end up with a c/s, is that elective?

I wonder when i'll be able to answer these questions. I'm just waiting for something interesting to happen, lol!
1 - I'll have to go to the hospital to birth these babies; if baby A is vertex I'll be "allowed" to vagi birth in the OR
:
2 - I'll be 38 weeks tomorrow. It's interesting because earlier in my pregnancy, my OB said he'd want to schedule a c/s at (or was it after) 39 weeks. I think because I've had such a healthy pregnancy, and he's actually trying to give my babies time to gestate and possibly even turn back vertex, he's not pressuring me to schedule at 39 weeks or 40 weeks or anything, at this point. I'm kind of amazed.
3 - He will NOT medically induce a VBAC, not that I'd consent to it anyway. There will also be NO augmentation (except perhaps if a bit of pit is necessary to try and help turn a breech B). I don't know if he'd want to pit me under any circumstances.
4 - My OB will elect for me to have a c/s if both babies remain breech. And if A comes out vaginally vertex but B stays persistently breech, I'll get sectioned. I'm not going to be able to fight this.
5 - How am I going to feel about all of this - dunno, ask me in a few weeks. It's been pretty stressful. I HATE that no one in Western Montana does vaginal breech. It's out of SOP for the homebirth midwives, and the OBs just don't do it.
6 - according to u/s, my babies have been keeping up with singletons in terms of size.
7 - I'm assuming fraternal - 2 girls in seperate sacs with seperate placentas.

#71 ·
Kimberly

I know this situation is stressing you and not ideal AT ALL. Is he going to allow you to go into labor on your own or is he set on you scheduling? I've heard of babies flipping vertex just before labor begins. That wasn't my experience (she stayed breech) but it COULD happen. I'm still thinking good thoughts for you.

#72 ·
Yeah, he'll let me go into labor naturally. He thinks it's better for me to have a c/s in early labor so we know the twins are "cooked." I was pleasantly surprised by this. At one point he was talking about auto scheduling me for a 39 week c/s, but I think because I've had such a stellar pregnancy, he's fine with waiting it out. I don't know what he'll do if/when I pass 40 weeks.

I'm staying hopeful that they'll turn!
Ok, off to listen to my hynobabies track, "Turn Baby Turn."

#73 ·
Quote:

I haven't been on (been to a birth and I am also a mom of twins!) in awhile and really thank others for stepping in. I completely understand that we can do everything right...and still babies come early. I am talking about living in a society where doctors are induction happy.

And they are for singletons as well. They are for most birthing women. I just find that as a twin mother...it was out of control. I will come back to the thread in the morning and try to state myself clearer.

#74 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spring Lily View Post
So you're only looking for answers of women who went into labor on their own?

I have to speak up here, because this statement/thread really seems to me like it's invalidating certain birthing situations. You're talking about 3 scenarios: induction, natural labor, or elective c-sections. You do realize that some c-sections are actually GOOD decisions and just as valid as allowing yourself to go into natural labor?

One of my babies had a complication and the c-section saved her life, but I do believe I would have gone full term otherwise, no signs of cervical change at 34wks. I've never heard that 35 weeks is the expected term for twins, I've always heard it's typically 38-39 weeks.
I was born by c-section and it saved not only my life...but my mother as well.

I understand how it can seem offensive that I am attempting to single out women who have had certain birthing situations. I guess that it IS what I am attempting to do. I see birthing situations like yours as high risk (as in save the baby) and in those situations you make decisions based on the needs of the baby.

What is unfortunate is that the medical community sees all twin births as high risk and I don't.

In my medical community...they talk about twins coming around 35 weeks all of the time. They want to induce at 37 or 38 weeks here, in many of the hospitals.

#75 ·
Kimberly, if you end up with a section, I wouldn't even dream of calling it elective. Maybe it's elective for the OB, but at that point, not for you.

homebirthing, I think I see more clearly what you're driving at now. I guess my big desire would be to look at the data behind the average gestational age of twins in this country, and see what the distribution looks like. Is it really the 36-38-week inductions and scheduled sections that are driving the mean down, or is it the large number of very premature babies born? Impossible to answer without a lot of access and a lot of time spent, so we'll naturally bring our own bias into play.

FWIW, I was really pleased that (back in the days when I had a nice, uncomplicated twin pregnancy) my OB had no inclination to induce me early. He laid out the milestones - make it to 32, 34, 36 weeks...and then when I asked what he would do if I went past 38 weeks (because I had heard so many doctors view 38 weeks as term for twins), he basically said "Um...I'll wait?" He was also willing to do a vaginal birth as long as baby A was vertex, and really downplayed c-section as an option. I think he's probably VBAC-friendly, too, though I've never asked since we're finished with babies.

And even when I went into labor at 29 weeks at a different hospital with a perinatalogist who didn't know me all that incredibly well (she'd handled my case for only 2 weeks), the assumption was very clear that they were vertex-vertex, so I'd have a vaginal birth in a L&D room, not an OR. That actually meant that when the section became necessary for baby B, they had to wheel me down the hall into the OR between babies. In retrospect, I'm pretty impressed by that.

And I guess those experiences of having reasonable doctors who didn't try to push me around one darn bit also inform my thinking on this. It's just not the first place my mind goes, even though I know it happens all the time, which truly truly stinks.

#76 ·
That is incredibly impressive that they were comfortable with you birthing outside of an OR. I once attended a birth of a baby whose gestational age was 36 weeks and they made her birth in the OR "just in case" and this was one baby and almost fully developed. They were able to bring him home two days later and he had no difficulty with breathing at all.

And I do agree with you about the average gestational age. I wonder how I could phrase that...?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.