Mothering Forum banner

We need another Eclectic thread!

14K views 312 replies 69 participants last post by  mangopassion 
#1 ·
To quote the lovely MyLittleWonders:

"Come one, come all ... you know you are out there. Like TV too much to be completely Waldorf? Too structured for unschooling? Too relaxed for structured hs'ing? Like the Classical approach to history, but have no desire to learn nor teach Latin? Delay a little too much to be early academics, but not enough to be delayed academics? Not "pure" in philosophy/methodology enough to fit in anywhere? Tried on a myriad of hs'ing hats, and decided none of them fit quite right? Well, this is the place for you!

Anyway, I wanted to create a little space for those of us that have our feet maybe in a few different areas, but don't fully fit in any.
"

Hope you don't mind that I quoted you, MyLittleWonders. You worded your post just perfectly!

Lately I've been feeling like I need one thread where I could just ask all of my questions or get all of my thoughts/worries out to others who might understand! So ... can we start another one of these?

See less See more
#102 ·
I just ordered the http://www.amazon.com/Story-World-Hi..._bxgy_b_text_b to start out with. I have never been able to find one in a store around here, so once we check it out, I'll go from there. I didn't order any of the things to go with it lol. We have such a tight budget, so I didn't want to get in too deep yet.

I've heard such great things about it though, I'm hoping it should work well. Especially since I finally figured out how to look up and place holds on books with our library system last week. Took me long enough
lol. Should come in handy when we need books to go along with what we are learning about.

#103 ·
Our weekend is still going over here. My hubby's days off are Sunday & Monday so we make that our weekend.
Right now MangoPapa and Cherry are out on a father/daughter date.
So KiwiBoy and I are just relaxing at home. I'm trying to get some laundry done and maybe straighten up a little. I really need to clean off the computer desk!

For the past few days I have been busy designing my new blog, Heart of Discovery. I'm just getting it set up right now and designing the header and background, adding links, etc. Hopefully I will actually post on it within the next few days.

Yesterday, MangoPapa and I cleaned the gutters... although he did most of the work because I'm afraid of heights and couldn't get on the roof.
And for the past couple of days, we have actually been going out on walks in the evenings. It's been really nice now that the weather is cooling off a bit. I am one of those people that absolutely canNOT stand the heat! I am just so uncomfortable and unhappy in the heat. Fall cannot come fast enough for me.

Last week I set up workboxes,we call them discovery boxes, and they are working great so far! I think it's definitely a step in the right direction when it comes to us wanting more structure to our day. I didn't like how rigid Sue Patrick's system is, so we tweaked it a bit to our liking. The kiddos are
it, too! My only problem is thinking of things to put in the boxes. But I'm slowly getting more ideas and I belong to a couple workbox Yahoo groups so that helps.

Also, I am waiting on a huge order from Rainbow Resource; an order from HWT, Acorn Naturalist, and eNasco.com. So hopefully once those get here, we'll have more things to do. I'm especially looking forward to the entomology mounting set we got at eNasco.
I still have to place an order at DickBlick for most of our art supplies. I have the Artistic Pursuit books for each child, but none of the art supplies that it calls for. Oh, and I keep forgetting to order sketch books that I want for our nature studies. I feel like I can't even begin our nature studies until we have those books!

OK... I should take a break from internet time and get crackin' on this desk!

#104 ·
Meadow, that's the one we're doing too. I can always tell you what's in the activity book and we can talk about that stuff too.

I read about a parting of the Red Sea diorama and burst out laughing. That's just not us. But some of the other activities sound neat!

#105 ·
Thanks, Jennifer! I may end up getting the activity guide if I like the book. I have 3 kids anyways, so I'm sure it may come in handy. I just don't need any extra busy work lol, we do plenty of that on our own. And to be honest, I need help with history, because it just isn't my favorite subject
LOL

#106 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeadowSong_ View Post
I just ordered the http://www.amazon.com/Story-World-Hi..._bxgy_b_text_b to start out with. I have never been able to find one in a store around here, so once we check it out, I'll go from there. I didn't order any of the things to go with it lol. We have such a tight budget, so I didn't want to get in too deep yet.

I've heard such great things about it though, I'm hoping it should work well. Especially since I finally figured out how to look up and place holds on books with our library system last week. Took me long enough
lol. Should come in handy when we need books to go along with what we are learning about.
We're using this one right now, too. I actually just ordered the CD so it's one less thing I have to read aloud ... as almost all of our subjects are through living books and there is a lot of reading aloud. I recently realized that I can only stand hearing my own voice for so long.
That's why MangoPapa has taken over with the bedtime reading.

#107 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mangopassion View Post
We're using this one right now, too. I actually just ordered the CD so it's one less thing I have to read aloud ... as almost all of our subjects are through living books and there is a lot of reading aloud. I recently realized that I can only stand hearing my own voice for so long.
That's why MangoPapa has taken over with the bedtime reading.

I so totally agree with you (in terms of hearing my own voice, not yours
). I am sure my kids probably tired of mine too!

#109 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
I would love to know what your family(ies) thinks of the CDs. I tend to drift off during CDs of people talking so I want to know if they hold attention.

We love Jim Weiss and really enjoy the SOTW CDs. Ds#1 will often listen while building Lego's. I also have the Medieval CDs on my iPod so we can listen in the car. But, personally, we still read the book out loud along with the corresponding section in the Usborne Encyclopedia (I use History Odysssey).

#111 ·
Hi, I'm new here,
Just thought I'd post after reading along lots of other posts.
I have two girlies starting public school and wednesday and I homeschool my 10 yo son. yeah, different, but it works for us right now.

I would have to say I'm eclectic because I have a hard time with structure. This is only my second year homeschooling so I feel things will go better this year. not that they didnt' got well last year, but we both feel comfortable to just sit around and read and figure things out.

I'm looking forward to hanging out on this site and getting support. There's those days when I just don't know what we are doing???

thanks!

#112 ·
MyLittle, we're using HO too! Or we will be if Pandia Press would ever mail the dang box. It's been over a week now without shipping confirmation.

Did you get the ancient China treasure box too? I want to know what's in the darn thing.

My Calvert box will be here tomorrow!! Super fast shipping is my love.

And welcome Lizann!

#113 ·
Hi all ~ I know this doesn't belong in the homeschooling forum, but I just don't have the strength right now to go look where it does belong and I figured since I know you all, I could trust you all, and post here for some support.

I just found out that my mom's brother passed away on Saturday. He lives in the Philipines so I was never able to meet him, but he was my mom's "favorite" brother ... they were very close.

Another one of my mom's brothers passed away just a few months ago, but we sort of saw that one coming as he was ill for quite some time. This recent death was an accident and a shock.

I'm not sure why I'm so upset about this, but I think it has to do with my mom. She is taking this really hard. She is the type of person that tries to avoid medication if at all possible. But she is having such a hard time with this that her doctor is giving her sedatives.
Thankfully my dad is a really supportive husband and he's there to give her lots of hugs and take care of her. They think they want to get out of the house for a while, so they might come visit us and get more hugs from their grandchildren.

If you wouldn't mind, can you please do whatever you do (pray, meditate, etc) for my mom to find strength and healing? It's been a really hard year for her and I'm worried about her.

Thank you.

PS... I know this might be a little dumb, but if you wouldn't mind sending good vibes my way so I stop crying, that would much be appreciated too. It's hard to do things with two kiddos around if I'm constantly crying.

#117 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LauraLoo View Post
-- I will keep all of you in my thoughts, mangopassion.
:

#118 ·
Oh....my kids are Dom 9, Abby 7, Angelo 4, Mylee 2, Delainey 4 months, and Joey (my CA son....coming to MN soon!) 17yrs (not bio....just like a son to me though. Helping him through school)

#120 ·
Mangopassion - many
's and prayers for you, your mom, and your whole family.

Quote:

MyLittle, we're using HO too! Or we will be if Pandia Press would ever mail the dang box. It's been over a week now without shipping confirmation.

Did you get the ancient China treasure box too? I want to know what's in the darn thing.

My Calvert box will be here tomorrow!! Super fast shipping is my love.

And welcome Lizann!
That stinks about the wait time with HO. This last time I ordered an ebook and printed it myself (turns out, we probably won't be ready for it until December/January as we basically did no history last year, but I have it none-the-less). I would consider dropping them an email just to check and make sure it's coming.

I have never ordered the extra books/materials. When we did Ancient Times, I did buy the Ancient Civilizations Pocket whatever book - we did a few of the different activities from it and enjoyed them. This time around for Medieval Times, I am just using the maps and copywork ideas from HO, plus I am hoping to integrate the Book of Centuries pages from Tanglewood.

#121 ·
Well, my order's on backorder with CHE and they typically don't tell people when that happens.

So I cancelled most of it and ordered through Amazon instead. Now I'll have it in 2 days at least.

But the Calvert boxes are coming today! DD is so excited. She told her father last night that, "School is coming! School is coming! I'm a big girl now!"

#122 ·
Thank you for the responses!
I think your good thoughts worked for me. I'm feeling much better right now. I think my mom may be doing a little better, too. Thanks again... it is SO MUCH appreciated!

#123 ·
Quote:

I would love to know what your family(ies) thinks of the CDs. I tend to drift off during CDs of people talking so I want to know if they hold attention.

I kind of drift off, too. But from what I understand Jim Weiss is wonderful! I haven't gotten mine yet. I ordered it from RR and hopefully it will be here this week or early next week.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Mangopassion - many
's and prayers for you, your mom, and your whole family.

That stinks about the wait time with HO. This last time I ordered an ebook and printed it myself (turns out, we probably won't be ready for it until December/January as we basically did no history last year, but I have it none-the-less). I would consider dropping them an email just to check and make sure it's coming.

I have never ordered the extra books/materials. When we did Ancient Times, I did buy the Ancient Civilizations Pocket whatever book - we did a few of the different activities from it and enjoyed them. This time around for Medieval Times, I am just using the maps and copywork ideas from HO, plus I am hoping to integrate the Book of Centuries pages from Tanglewood.
I know the question about China's Treasure Box wasn't for me
, but I finally ordered this one and will be happy to let you know what's in it. I've been curious, too!

MLW, Thanks you so much for the kind words and hugs... that's just what I needed.

I have been majorly slacking in the History department.
We got HO and SOTW Ancients almost 2 years ago for my then 5 year old and 8 year old. We haven't even made it halfway through... so we are still doing Ancients when we should be in Modern Times.
Which is kind of weird because MangoPapa and I both love History (now that we are adults... our public schooling background didn't help develop that love) and I've been excited about learning History right along side the kiddos, but I just haven't been able to "fit it in". Hopefully now, with the workboxes, I'll be able to.

We are also doing the History Pockets and think they are pretty fun! I might par it down a little because some of it seems like busy work, but the kiddos definitely love the craft aspect of it.

And I'm still trying to figure out a good timeline that would work well for us. I've been thinking about this one for years!

Quote:

But the Calvert boxes are coming today! DD is so excited. She told her father last night that, "School is coming! School is coming! I'm a big girl now!"

Awww... that's so sweet!

#124 ·
Mango, I'm so glad you're feeling better.

My HO order should ship by the end of next week. That's ok because it'll take me that long to figure Calvert out. This is a
load of stuff. Wow.

I got the History Pockets stuff from amazon. Only the Ancients one is for grade 1-3. The Egyptians and Greeks are for grades 4 and up. So we won't get to those until much later unless I just ordered the wrong ones.

#126 ·
Mango, we LOVE it. I can totally see why other families would be derisive about "school in a box" but my DD absolutely loves it. She was crushed when I suggested taking the weekend off so I think we'll just "do school" until she wants to stop for a day or two. The worksheet work is so easy that she's gaining a lot of confidence, except for the writing. We cheat on that. She's not ready to write her name yet so I hold her hand and we do it together. But she's still in the scribbling stage of life.

How have all of your weeks been?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.