Mothering Forum banner

We need another Eclectic thread!

14K views 312 replies 69 participants last post by  mangopassion 
#1 ·
To quote the lovely MyLittleWonders:

"Come one, come all ... you know you are out there. Like TV too much to be completely Waldorf? Too structured for unschooling? Too relaxed for structured hs'ing? Like the Classical approach to history, but have no desire to learn nor teach Latin? Delay a little too much to be early academics, but not enough to be delayed academics? Not "pure" in philosophy/methodology enough to fit in anywhere? Tried on a myriad of hs'ing hats, and decided none of them fit quite right? Well, this is the place for you!

Anyway, I wanted to create a little space for those of us that have our feet maybe in a few different areas, but don't fully fit in any.
"

Hope you don't mind that I quoted you, MyLittleWonders. You worded your post just perfectly!

Lately I've been feeling like I need one thread where I could just ask all of my questions or get all of my thoughts/worries out to others who might understand! So ... can we start another one of these?

See less See more
#127 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mangopassion View Post
I have been majorly slacking in the History department.
We got HO and SOTW Ancients almost 2 years ago for my then 5 year old and 8 year old. We haven't even made it halfway through... so we are still doing Ancients when we should be in Modern Times.

You are probably doing it the right way! -- Ancients were around a looooong time.

We didn't finish HO Ancients last year. We have a bit of Roman and Ancient China to finish up before we can begin Middle Ages. I'm considering it review.

I have so much to do. My bookshelves are completely cluttered with last years stuff (ds likes to revisit so doesn't like things to be put away and out of reach,) and all the books for this year. I need lots of time to tackle it and get it organized. I've barely peaked at the new stuff beyond making sure that I got everything that I ordered. I won't know if I have everything that I need until I lay it out. The next couple of weeks are packed with activities and we're having a couple of parties.....I guess I'll have about 3 days before we begin to figure things out. Yikes. And double yikes!

#128 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mangopassion View Post
I have been majorly slacking in the History department.
We got HO and SOTW Ancients almost 2 years ago for my then 5 year old and 8 year old. We haven't even made it halfway through... so we are still doing Ancients when we should be in Modern Times.
Which is kind of weird because MangoPapa and I both love History (now that we are adults... our public schooling background didn't help develop that love) and I've been excited about learning History right along side the kiddos, but I just haven't been able to "fit it in". Hopefully now, with the workboxes, I'll be able to.
We've always been slack in history and science. It's the first to go when we are in a time crunch. Funny, though, because I believe it's given my kids a drive to learn it now. The older ones are 13, 11 and 9 and they are eating it up and don't mind when I give them longer lessons!!

#129 ·
I'm really glad to see some of you have been kind of slack on history, it will be and all ready is my downfall. I know it too. I'm much more book driven, I want them to read, I want to read to them. Books. Books. Books.
: LOL

We started yesterday with our modified workboxes. Each boy has 6 boxes (really just two sets of Sterlite drawers) and we are just filling them with 3 things at a time. Until they get back in the grove of things. I refilled them both yesterday after they finished them and they both came back to finish them again (mainly to earn some computer time lol).

I figure once we get in the full swing of things, I'll fill all 6 with various reading, writing, literature, logic puzzles, or math activities. Then they can do them. We do all science, history, and read alouds together each day so we should be able to cover a lot of ground this way. At least this is my plan, we shall see lol!

#130 ·
I HATED history in school. Absolutely hated it. And now, what do I read for pleasure? History. And my Netflix box is full of movies about it. I just sent back a 4 hour documentary on Napolean.
I'm going to try really, really hard to make history fun but I'm going to let it go if it doesn't become a passion until adulthood. I know I really didn't care that much about government until I became a voting citizen. Now, the thought of John Adams murmuring, "Thomas Jefferson survives" on his deathbed brings me to tears.

Science is easier on us because we are all science lovers around here so I just teach to the current interest. I'm sure someday I'll stop spending a couple of hundred dollars a summer on butterfiles and mealworms.

And I don't even HAVE a bookshelf for this year's school yet so some of you are really, really ahead of me.

#131 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post

And I don't even HAVE a bookshelf for this year's school yet so some of you are really, really ahead of me.

We start Monday and I don't have a bookshelf ready either.

I had wanted to get some sort if cubby system put together but that hasn't happened either.

#132 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
We start Monday and I don't have a bookshelf ready either.

I had wanted to get some sort if cubby system put together but that hasn't happened either.

We are starting full blown school Monday. We started slowly, adding one subject per week and it worked really nicely for us. But I am cramming to pull the schedules together for 4 different aged kids! ugh!! Race, race...

#133 ·
Does anyone use a Waldorf style block system? Working on one main theme for a couple weeks or more and then going to something else?

We have been alternating 2 wks of math (with short literacy activity every day) with 2 wks of literacy (with short math activity daily), and on paper---we should still "get through" everything in a regular year.

I'm just wondering if anyone's BTDT because even tho it makes sense to me to take a break from focusing on one then the other and allow the new information to sink in....I don't know, even though I've done our planning for months ahead, I'm feeling wishy washy.

Someone on the HS thread said that if you commit to any program, it will "work" and that it's the switching around all the time that causes distress, so I'm just trying to commit to one method at least until mid-school year and then re-evaluate.

#134 ·
I don't know what the Waldorf block method is, so I don't think I'm doing it
... but I have found that my kids love integrated learning. My dd (7) also loves history and geography, and stories, so we integrate that way. I'm planning to do start this year with Prehistory unit which will mix up history/geography/science and then math/reading stuff on the side, for example. Then we'll do ancient history with Story of the World. Last year we did a month-long unit on Cinderella around the world - again with the history/geography/stories and math/science on the side. Instead of seperate binders, she keeps a "lesson book" which is an idea from Oak Meadow - everything is integrated into that book, some written/drawn into it, other things cut & pasted in. Basically I get an idea from her or one curriculum or another, or the calendar with seasons/holidays, and mix as much into our lessons from other disciplines as makes sense, and put the other disciplines on the side; then another idea and different disciplines added and other ones go on the side.

#136 ·
I'm just starting homeschooling my daughter, but we're doing blocks for new material, but still doing a little bit of math and LA everyday for review. I think it's important that new content has that time to rest, but some things do need everyday practice. For example, the new math content that we'll be working with is decimals -- we'll do that in our math block. But in our everyday practice she'll be working with fractions, times tables and long division.
Can't really give you a BTDT response, but this is my plan anyway.
Meredith

#137 ·
As for the Waldorf block method, I'm not familiar with it. With my kids, I have learned that a break from math is the worst thing I can do for them. My kids remember language arts, history, etc. But not math. It's the one thing we do every day. Well, that and reading and journaling. The other things we spread out and do 3 days a week. Sorry I'm no help.

#138 ·
We use Oak Meadow as a base for now, so waldorf lite and no blocks. I can understand the idea of commit to a method. But at the same time as teachers, we have to understand when it might be time to change that method. We used OM for pre-k (I wasn't impressed) and kinder somewhat (better but we're not into main lesson books.) I have it again for 1st, but we've also decided to go a more unschooling route. So I'm pulling from OM as well as other things I've found. We have some games and I hope to gain more. TBH, we're looking to games being our main educational focus for now. This allows us to focusing on reading and math as play. We also don't mind TV and I'm utilizing our DVR to record shows like Reading Rainbow, Between the Lions, Magic School Bus, and other "educational" items as well as those for fun. I've realized that just like dh and myself, the kids have their favorite shows and ways to decompress. So I'm trying to honor that.

But in regards to blocks, I thought normally they're at least 3 weeks long. Could the 2 week time period be too short?

#139 ·
We "did school" for 6 days straight as of yesterday and yesterday was HARD. I'm thinking of taking today off but I'm worried about losing our rhythmn. Arrgghh, type A homeschooling moms cannot be good.

I tried to take yesterday off and DD begged for her workbooks. So then we tried to do some pages and she melted. But everytime I tried to redirect us to something else, she melted MORE.

So I might have a type A kid too. Yikes.

#140 ·
Even though we hs year-round, this week marks dh's official return to work, so it is like we are starting our school year now. I should say, *I'm* starting my school year today since I no longer have dh to help with lessons and/or redirecting way-ward children.
So, I got up early, showered and made my smoothie and am waiting for kidlets to wake. I told ds#1 that I would read another chapter or two from the Burgess Bird Book when he got up - then, it's breakfast, chores, and lessons. Their public-schooled friend is coming over at 2, so hopefully we can get through everything well before that. He doesn't return to school until the 9th, so the boys have two weeks left of being able to play with him in the early afternoons before it's back to only weekends.

#142 ·
Hi, everyone, I need to read and catch up with the thread, I was really busy there for a bit.

We are starting school on the Virgo new moon, which is on Friday the 18th, I believe, but we might start that next Monday the 21st. At any rate, I'll start preparing stuff on the first day of the new moon. Exciting!
: I wish I could start now-- I've been waiting for this since before I HAD kids-- lol! But I don't have anything ready yet so I'll wait. I'm still waiting to buy some of the stuff I wanted.

I am worried about actually being productive every day, though. It takes me a while to recover after having a baby, and I still feel so lazy and tired many days. On days we have soccer practice I feel like I get little else done during the day. (Usually just chores!)

Anyway, I ordered some classic children's collections of poetry (used on Amazon) and am waiting to order Singapore math next. I also bought a used set of the Sonrisas Spanish curriculum and should get that in soon, too. Then I want to make an order with Dover, for some for the Burgess animal stories, and some of their activity books, and then I will just need some basic craft supplies and a globe.

Our one little bookcase is double stacked already, so I don't know where we'll put the new things! Probably in boxes or baskets for now . . .

Okay, I'm going to go back and catch up more now.

#143 ·
Having an off day. If anyone would be willing to say a prayer for me and my attitude. Thank you

#145 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
You got it!

Thanks
:

#146 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Having an off day. If anyone would be willing to say a prayer for me and my attitude. Thank you

You got it.
for a much better ending than beginning of your day. May the
on you tomorrow.

#147 ·
We have had a nice day - if all could be like this, I think I'd be in heaven. The boys and I started with gardening and then actually got through our morning lessons with very little fuss (ds#1 didn't fuss at all ... ds#2 did a bit, but was still able to finish; it probably helped that I told him that if he didn't finish, he would have to finish when their friend came over
). Our neighbor came down and hung out with us, and then went with us to Lowe's for some soil/manure for the garden (which was totally cool because not only does he help with the boys - he's 16 - but he helped load the van and then unload the van
). Now they are all playing Lego's with ds#1's friend from around the block. I still have to go work more in the garden, but I'm waiting for the sun to go down a bit.

I'm also determined to do some science today - I have a little experiment on decomposition (basically burying a small piece of food and a small piece of plastic in dirt, keeping it damp like compost, and then seeing after a week which looks like it is decomposing) and a book I want to read. Then, we are going to practice "reusing" by making paper.

#148 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
We have had a nice day - if all could be like this, I think I'd be in heaven. The boys and I started with gardening and then actually got through our morning lessons with very little fuss (ds#1 didn't fuss at all ... ds#2 did a bit, but was still able to finish; it probably helped that I told him that if he didn't finish, he would have to finish when their friend came over
). Our neighbor came down and hung out with us, and then went with us to Lowe's for some soil/manure for the garden (which was totally cool because not only does he help with the boys - he's 16 - but he helped load the van and then unload the van
). Now they are all playing Lego's with ds#1's friend from around the block. I still have to go work more in the garden, but I'm waiting for the sun to go down a bit.

I'm also determined to do some science today - I have a little experiment on decomposition (basically burying a small piece of food and a small piece of plastic in dirt, keeping it damp like compost, and then seeing after a week which looks like it is decomposing) and a book I want to read. Then, we are going to practice "reusing" by making paper.
Gosh, that's a great day!! We were going to start our full days today (as opposed to the half days we've been doing) but I got up and looked at the house and we cleaned instead!

It will make for an easier week anyway!

#149 ·
MyLittle, I must have channeled you a bit yesterday. I went out and stirred up the vermicomposter which ended up turning into a discussion about decomposition and plastic and dirt.

We didn't even finish our curriculum yesterday because we were having so much fun. I LOVE homeschooling!

#150 ·
We are here

This year we are going to read the story of the world series and work on a different unit study every month. I have not decided anything else yet
We'll figure it out as we go along!

Yesterday I showed DS how to make grilled cheese
He asks me a lot to teach him how to cook things, and I just love when he asks to learn!

DD started back to public school today, I only homeschool DS. (DD's choice)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.