Mothering Forum banner

Herbal Healing Mamas stop in here!

22K views 357 replies 69 participants last post by  WuWei 
#1 ·
I was wondering if we could get a tribe going where we can discuss all things herbal? Plant info., remedies, links, experiences,etc.

See less See more
#52 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~D~ View Post
I'm just starting out with this, so I'm waiting to see what other mamas are doing
I don't have any specific problems that need help at the moment, knock on wood
:

Ok I was wrong... My acne won't heal...
:

I think I may die...

#53 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by highlandmum View Post
Ohhh we made some fire cider this year too...never tried it before, and it's not done 'brewing' yet.....so we'll see how it turns out!
I hope it turns out for you!

Fire cider is so wonderful to have around during the winter!

Next I'm going to make up a batch of Thieves Oil!!!
http://sites.google.com/site/natural...-immune-system

I've been craving the smells.........
fp

#59 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
I am looking for a recipe to make my own herbal bug repellant spray that is good for most specifically repelling mosquitoes and ticks. It also should be kid friendly! TIA if anyone has a recipe to share! I have found several recipes online but thought I'd ask here! IU normally use the Swy Flotter by Kiss my Face but wanted to make our own this year!

I've made my own insect repelant by gathering eucalyptus leaves and seed pods and making a real strong decoction then adding a bit of grain alcohol to preserve it (10-25%) I also have added essential oils such tea tree, juniper and some more eucalyptus just to make it real detering. I then add it to a spray bottle.

#60 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by herbalshakti View Post
I've made my own insect repelant by gathering eucalyptus leaves and seed pods and making a real strong decoction then adding a bit of grain alcohol to preserve it (10-25%) I also have added essential oils such tea tree, juniper and some more eucalyptus just to make it real detering. I then add it to a spray bottle.
Oh that sounds really interesting - I'd like to try that decoction!
I usually make this one:
Herbal Insect Repellent
It's just essential oils and witch hazel.
fp

#62 ·
Subbing!

Great thread!! I am making a bunch of tinctures for the upcoming fall.winter.spring/flu season.

#63 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyMom View Post
Just wondering, do you all use comfrey leaf internally?
I have a bunch that I dried from my garden to use in salves and stuff, but I'm wondering about drinking it in infusions???
TIA
I do. I add it to my nourishing infusion blends.
I know some ppl don't take it internally b/c of reported liver toxicity. But I think that's the root, not leaf.
fp

#64 ·
Herbs & vitamins are my passion!

ALL drugs, OTC & prescription are evil, at leaast thats how we run our home

#65 ·
hey just came across this thread today- wanted to make a note so I could find it again.
sometimes I have used comfrey internally- but since all the PA info came out I have been very selective when I have used it and usually have found something else to use= like plantain or ... that way I don't have to think about the PA risk at all-
externally as a skin healer still use it and the thing is that because it heals things so fast you don't use much of it.

#66 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
hey just came across this thread today- wanted to make a note so I could find it again.
sometimes I have used comfrey internally- but since all the PA info came out I have been very selective when I have used it and usually have found something else to use= like plantain or ... that way I don't have to think about the PA risk at all-
externally as a skin healer still use it and the thing is that because it heals things so fast you don't use much of it.
What's PA?

#67 ·
so I had to look it up to spell it right - it stands for pyrrolizidine alkaloids- the toxic ones get trapped in the liver and act sort of the way that asbestos acts in the lungs- the body can't easily get rid of them and the attempts to do so make for more toxicisity ...

#68 ·
Quote:

so I had to look it up to spell it right - it stands for pyrrolizidine alkaloids- the toxic ones get trapped in the liver and act sort of the way that asbestos acts in the lungs- the body can't easily get rid of them and the attempts to do so make for more toxicisity ...
There's some good info on Pyrrolizidine Alkaloids in Comfrey here:
http://www.comfreycentral.com/research/comfrey_pa.htm
Loads of great info on comfrey in general.

fp

#69 ·
I have made tinctures before using brandy as a mentruum. I would like to use glycerin as my family objects to the alcohol.

On the topic of making an herbal tincture in a menstruum of glycerin, what ratios do you favor, as far as glycerin to water goes?

Some sources I've consulted indicate 60% vegetable glycerin to 40% water. Rosemary Gladstar (from her website) suggests 1 part glycerin to 2-3 parts water.

Any other suggestions? What have you found works well?

From Rosemary's site, she points out that glycerin does not draw out the resinous or oily components of herbs as well as alcohol does. Any opinions regarding this or herbs that do better in glycerin than others?

Thank you for your input. I am looking forward to making some lovely tinctures again before the flu season begins in earnest!

#70 ·
I'm subbing! I'm big into herbal and homeopathic remedies for illness in our home. Its mainly focussed on childhood illnesses for the kiddos, but my husband is coming around as he sees me using things that work. My favorite is a fever reducing tea that I discovered doesn't have to be ingested to work. Soaking in a bathtub with it brings down a fever quickly. Off the top of my head, I'm trying to remember: lemon balm, peppermint, echinacea?, and something else. Wow, that's not helpful. I pretty much always have to look stuff up. I use Susan Weed's for the childbearing year and "Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child/Healthier Living" I've considered an herbalism degree (I live in Seattle afterall, home of Basytr) but its $90,000! No thanks! I like the idea of mentoring/apprenticing with a wise herbal woman, or book learning on my own.

I am lucky enough to live a few blocks away from a store called the Herbalist, so I can get lots there.

I have also tried some Ayurvedic herbs which I get from the Ayurvedic Health Center down the street.

#71 ·
My sweetie thinks it's strange when I make things instead of buying otc products too, but he's gotten used to me doing it, and sometimes takes the herbal capsules from the stores. He's starting to understand about the difference between treating and over-medicating.

One young lady in my neighborhood was embarassed once when out for a walk with her mom (who doesn't speak English.) Mom saw the great stand of mint around my front step and wanted permission to pick some. I said of course, all she wanted!

#74 ·
FrannieP do you refrigerate your glycerins? or use them right away- I really have tried the 50/50 and have ended up with mold in this dry climate- I start with fresh herbs and they just haven't worked- tell me how you have done it please. and what you have made

#76 ·
Quote:

FrannieP do you refrigerate your glycerins? or use them right away- I really have tried the 50/50 and have ended up with mold in this dry climate- I start with fresh herbs and they just haven't worked- tell me how you have done it please. and what you have made
I do refrigerate my glycerines and vinegars.
I can't recall all of the glycerines I've made - I've made so many.
comfrey
chickweed
dandelion
cleavers
elder berry
hawthorn
echinacea
red clover
nettle
and blends like roots for iron/calcium etc.

As for mold.
Have you tried leaving an inch of glycerin above the plant matter?
Do you shake it daily?
Store in the dark?
Plastic lids - not metal?
What else?....
I use a chopstick to poke the plant matter around in the jar to get rid of air bubbles.
The only time I've had mold is if I've forgotten a jar in the cabinet and find it next year!

hth
fp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.