Mothering Forum banner

October Low-Income Thread

19K views 384 replies 62 participants last post by  Satori 
#1 ·
Here we are in a new month. How is everyone doing?

I'm having a hard time because we have to move by the 19th, as our house is being sold. I tried to negotiate to the end of October, but they don't want to negotiate. I've feeling so overwhelmed with this move, and still haven't found a home to move to yet. Also, the fear of having not saved enough money to put down some money for the deposit. Also, my son is having a terrible time, and has gone from being dx with NOS to Bipolar Disorder. It's not a surprise, but still it is hard to accept. I'm unable to work because of him, and he could not attend school when he did. I still do take on birth clients, but that has been just a few this year. Not enough at all.

As we fast approach the winter of colder days, and the holidays, I'm worried.

#127 ·
Pumpkin pie: I am sorry you are having such a hard time getting this all worked out, but it this current arraingement sounds even better than the previous ones. I hope you can get him switched schools soon. : hug

Marlet: What a great feeling to have a bill already paid out of no where.

Well...DH's interview yesterday turned out to be junk again it wasn't selling the ads for the paper like he had applied for it was setting up infront of stores & trying to sell subscriptions to the paper making like $100 a week in commission
Granted it was an opportunity but assumeing he gets his unemployment reinstated (which he should) it would cause him to lose his unemployment. It is all so frustrating. He has another interview today & this is a legit job but we have no idea what the pay will be like. It is a small company so the pay might not be enough to make it worth it. Sigh!

#128 ·
DH has a job!
It's just a smidge above minimum wage, and it's overnites, but hey! Full-time means he can finally get health insurance after 30 days or so. That alone makes it worth it--with insurance, we can get the ball rolling for sme relief, as well as proof of his medical probs, which will allow him to have accomodations in college and for the NREMT exam when he can take it again. I'm in the middle of kids' schoolwork, but wanted to say THANKS for the goodvibes! =D

#130 ·
Hi everyone!
I'm beginning to think that I really am screwed on Friday, at my UnEmployment Hearing. I have the sinking feeling that I'm going to get shafted, but I'll go through the motions anyway. Maybe I'll get lucky.
I've been putting in applications everywhere, but no one has called back (yet)
Deep breaths, Cassie, Deep breaths.

#131 ·
s everyone!

Things have been real tough here. My clothes piles are now mountains and I have no idea how I am going to get the money to go to the laundry mat which is 30 miles away so I would need money for gas. I can not hand wash my cloth diapers I can not wring them out good enough
The money DH got this week has to go to rent which is late and the numerous other bills that are pilling up !!!!

#133 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Well...DH's interview yesterday turned out to be junk again it wasn't selling the ads for the paper like he had applied for it was setting up infront of stores & trying to sell subscriptions to the paper making like $100 a week in commission

I am so sorry that his interview turned out to be a crap job. It is sooooooooooooo frustrating to work and work and work at finding something...anything... and then go waste your time for a nothing job. I have definitely been there. Done that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
DH has a job!
It's just a smidge above minimum wage, and it's overnites, but hey! Full-time means he can finally get health insurance after 30 days or so. That alone makes it worth it--with insurance, we can get the ball rolling for sme relief, as well as proof of his medical probs, which will allow him to have accomodations in college and for the NREMT exam when he can take it again. I'm in the middle of kids' schoolwork, but wanted to say THANKS for the goodvibes! =D
Hooray!!!!
Congrats to your DH and to your family!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
Hmm, I see the post count went up again for Holiday Helper.
I don't post that often as I don't have time....Bummer!!

hope all of you have applied.

Nothing new here. Just a bad school day with the kids...Fight, fight and fight.

UGH

I didn't apply this year, and am actually going to try to find a way to be a helper!
I don't have much extra, but I am going to find what I can here that I can pass on and ship it out. I need to get out to the PO tomorrow to ship my first box. I can't wait!!

We don't need any help this year, as I have been buying little things all year for DS for Christmas, and with my new job, the bills are finally starting to get caught up. Not entirely caught up yet, but getting there little by little. Woo Hoo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwat View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm beginning to think that I really am screwed on Friday, at my UnEmployment Hearing. I have the sinking feeling that I'm going to get shafted, but I'll go through the motions anyway. Maybe I'll get lucky.
I've been putting in applications everywhere, but no one has called back (yet)
Deep breaths, Cassie, Deep breaths.
mama. I am so sorry you are feeling down. It is so hard to be in the "wait for interview calls" place. I was there for three freaking months. It was absolutely insanely frustrating and depressing. Put the energy out into the universe that a job will come. I will cross my fingers for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peacemamalove View Post
s everyone!

Things have been real tough here. My clothes piles are now mountains and I have no idea how I am going to get the money to go to the laundry mat which is 30 miles away so I would need money for gas. I can not hand wash my cloth diapers I can not wring them out good enough
The money DH got this week has to go to rent which is late and the numerous other bills that are pilling up !!!!

Yikes! Is there any way you can wash the dipes, wring them out as best you can and let them drip dry on a rack in the tub? That way you wouldn't have to wring them out quite as much. I once was so desperate I filled my tub with water, dumped my clothes in there and swished them around with my feet. They weren't totally clean, but they got me by in a pinch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwat View Post
I HAVE A JOB INTERVIEW TOMORROW! Granted it's for holiday help at Macy's but...
I am SOOOOOOOO excited!!!!!!!

I hope you get it! Something is better than nothing!! And, hey, Macy's is festive all holiday season, right? It could be fun for a while!!

On my new job front, I finally felt like a part of the "team" at work today. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my new job. It really is such a perfect fit for me. The director is a youngish single mama like me, and she is so down to earth and approachable. She is unlike any boss I have ever worked for. I really hope I can get full time there. The benefits are great once I am full time, and the people are just so wonderful. I LOVE the kids there too. I haven't been this happy in a job in so long!! Even the childcare center I worked at prior to this one can't hold a candle to the one I am at now.

I am so, so grateful that I quit the bagel job in the hopes that something more appropriate would come through. I really was doubting myself there for a while, but am so thrilled at having a job that I love now! Now if only I can pick up a few more hours so I can pay the bills.....

#134 ·
Peacemamalove, just wash 10 items a day, and you will eventually catch up. Hange them out to dry. It may take longer while it is cold, but they will dry. Never give up. I also don't have a washer and dryer. I am PRAYING that I have a washer and dryer at my new place. A friend of mine was out of town for the weekend and allowed me to use her washer. I washed all the clothes, all the sheets and we have nothing dirty right now, but a 2 or 3 days of clothes. LOVE IT.

Anyway, if you have kids over 8, you can have them wash 1 thing per day. That will help you alot. Hang in there.

#135 ·
Well mama's, its been a rough 2 weeks, Murphy's law struck on a regular basis and I swear fate just kept tempting me to think "what else can go wrong?" which of course leads to more bad crap but when its piling on you can't help but think that which just temps fate to show you. In the past 2 weeks I have..

Kids have been fighting nonstop
Gotten a shut off notice for phone/internet
The car broke down and spent 5 days in the shop, thankfully my parents paid the bill but I missed a week of school which was really bad.
I had friends stay with me over night and well, they brought cockroaches along for the visit.. nough said.
I failed a major exam because I haven't gotten study time due to the kids, got another one Friday, praying I pass this one.
Spent the week seriously freaking out over a tumor (was fine until they scheduled the oncologist appt then I freaked) and worrying that if it is cancer I was in a really crappy position, cure mom, kill the baby, don't kill the baby, mama dies from cancer and then baby dies anyway cause there was no one available 24-7 that can take care of her medical needs and she goes into crisis and dies anyway. Yeah, fun week!
The rent check bounced, why you might ask? Because I had to pay for gas and parking ($15 for 3 hours of parking!
I was told it was only $12 to park, thank god I had that extra $2 in change) to see the oncologist today to find out if it is cancer so I had to pull $50 from the bank after I wrote the rent check, the bank paid it and I got a $27 NSF fee. Not to mention the $6 daily over draft fee... no idea how thats getting paid.
oh, did I mention I got a speeding ticket on the way to said appt? yeah, I got busted doing 80 trying to get on the freeway from hades and I had to speed up to get ahead of some guy and cross over before the next on ramp or risk an accident (this is why they set speed traps there, they know you have to speed to get on the freeway at that spot). That 5 seconds of speeding got me an I don't know how much ticket, a google search says about $300 +cost of traffic school, great! After rent is paid I have exactly $100 to pay everything else, yeah, $300 is gonna go over real well. But wait, it gets better! Remember how the car was in the shop for 5 days? Well I emptied the car out, COMPLETELY. Every time I've ever had a car in the shop for anything the registration always disappears for some reason so I took out the Registration and the Insurance. Yep, got busted for that too. Was lucky I didn't get my car impounded to boot.

Lots more bad stuff has happened the past 2 weeks, its literally been one thing after another but I'm tired and drawing a blank but I seriously need a break. At least I got some good news today
See my sig

#137 ·
That is great news...really wonderful! I hope it is something that you can deal with. Hugs for all the bad things happening, but I agree that no cancer will definately wipe away all the bad things for one day!

#138 ·
Oh Satori sending hugs and peaceful vibes your way

I have a job interview tonight!!!!!!!
It's only temporary during the holidays but...

Plus, the 2 younger kids dad (I don't quite know what to call him?!?!) has also been out of work for the past couple of months (
-Murphy's Law-right Satori
) and he has a job interview today too (which means I will start getting my child support again woohoo!!!!)
So, maybe BOTH of us will be working again.

#141 ·
Satori-
I'm happy for your good news, sorry things have been so rough!!!

cwat-
for your interview!!!

I'm having a hard time dealing with my living situation right now.. We live in my MIL's basement apt, as most of you know. She is a wonderful lady, but I need my space
I love our location, our garden, the spring water, and help with rent, but really.. I'm a 28 yr old adult. I would love to invite friends over and not have to make them climb the mountain to smoke (most of my friends smoke.. it doesn't bother me- they don't smoke around my kids, but I don't care if they step out in my backyard to do so), or have to kick everyone out at 9pm because she has to go to bed. We are late-night people.. she is an early morning person. It's rough.
I should be happy we have a place to live, though, right?

#142 ·
Sorry to butt in
, but I'm cheating a bit to give you all an FYI:

There are still HOLIDAY HELPER spaces left in both the US and Canada! They are taking rolling applications. Apply away!! It's not too late until there is announcement saying the HH is full.

All questions about the Holiday Helper Program need to be PM'd to either abimommy or Maluhia. Discussion about the program is open now Holiday Helper Forum, so questions can be posted there, as well.

#143 ·
The food stamp interview went well. I wasn't qualified because I'm a student, but my husband and daughter were qualified so that will definitely help. When I graduate in December, I can have my status re-evaluated, but I'd probably have to do like a 30 hour job training thing, which I'm not sure is really all that practical considering that I'll be STUDYING FOR THE BAR.

#144 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbond View Post
The food stamp interview went well. I wasn't qualified because I'm a student, but my husband and daughter were qualified so that will definitely help. When I graduate in December, I can have my status re-evaluated, but I'd probably have to do like a 30 hour job training thing, which I'm not sure is really all that practical considering that I'll be STUDYING FOR THE BAR.
That's weird.. I am a student and qualify for FS
:

#145 ·
Quote:

That makes no sense...my food stamps just when UP a $100 because i showed proof that I AM A STUDENT.
The way they see it students=being broke=increase food stamps for students.

#146 ·
Satori, wow, that's a lot to deal with at once! Sorry things have been so rough! But that's wonderful news that you don't have cancer.

cwat, good luck with the job interview! I hope it goes well!

My roommate just told me, really out of the blue, that she is moving out in 3 weeks. I'm angry and scared because I don't know what to do. It doesn't seem likely that I'll be able to find a new roommate in 3 weeks, but there's no way I can afford to pay the full November rent on my own, because right now I can barely afford the half of it that I pay. My landlord is not the most understanding type, either... e.g. last year he took a week and a half to get someone over to fix the broken furnace, leaving us without heat for that week and a half, in February (we're in New England!).
I don't know what will happen if I can't find a new roommate. I can't afford a single penny more than what I'm already paying in rent, which also means I couldn't move to a different apartment if it required putting down a security deposit or first/last month's rent. Also, I can't SIMULTANEOULSY search for a roommate to move in with me, and search for a new apartment to move into; I would have to choose one option or the other, and really, NEITHER seems very do-able with only 3 weeks to work with.

I'm so scared that I will have to move back in with my mom. I totally love her and we get along well, but her house is 45 mins away from this town that I have been living in so happily for the past 4.5 years. HERE is where all of my friends are, my work, my community, my school, my LIFE. I don't want to move back in with my parents at age 30.

#147 ·
s Inci I hope things work out and you can find room mate. Maybe you can talk to some of your friends and see if anyone is looking for a place to stay or if they have any suggestions. There are always options so try to check them all out first.

#148 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
That makes no sense...my food stamps just when UP a $100 because i showed proof that I AM A STUDENT.
I should have stated it's because I'm a student and AM NOT
-working at paid employment for 20 hours a week
-working at a work-study position
-a single parent
-OR, providing childcare for my child. My husband actually is providing her childcare, and we were using his child-care leave as part of our proof of income so I couldn't really fudge on this one.

I'm not that torn up about it even the $367 we're getting for just the 2 of them is pretty much our food budget for a month so it's incredibly helpful.

#149 ·
Quote:

I
I'm not that torn up about it even the $367 we're getting for just the 2 of them is pretty much our food budget for a month so it's incredibly helpful.
That's almost 2x as much as we get, and it plus WIC gets us through the month just fine most of the time. I usually spend about $30 out of pocket every month.

#150 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
hmm...i wonder if that is the same here? i'll have to go to my lovely website (oh gosh i love being able to get the what if's all straightened out online!) and see what it says for students! thanks for the tip!

we get $350 for 3 of us.

eta: just an FYI; claiming my extra check cut for my pell grant and my new place/rent my FS did go up about $100...not sure if it was cause technically my rent went up $155 (but now includes heating, cooling etc) or because I am claiming student status but I'll make sure to take my ID (when I get it) and my class list in when i change my address and rent officially. TY!

ETA2: does anyone here use section 8 or public housing (yech!)? our section 8 office is CLOSED and i'm just wondering if that happens anywhere else and if its totally overloading the public housing as well.

#151 ·
I had a very hard day today. **** haven't found an apartment and have about 10 days left. I'm stressed to the max. to make things worse, I got a flat today, and my van is parked at the gas station about 2 miles from my house. I'll have to depend on my father to come get me and help me get a new tire tomarrow. I'm just a little exhuasted. Fortunately my two daughters were not with me when it happened, so my son and I had to deal with it. I pulled into a gas station and bought one of those fix a flat cans. I sprayed it into the tire, but the container couldn't contain the foam, and it it went everywhere. They would NOT give me back my money, were very rude with me. I called my ex (I know..bad choice) and he hung up on me. My son and I walked over to his house (about an 8 minute walk). My son knocked on his door, but he never came. I think he knocked about 5 or more minutes. I can't believe that his dad would not even come to the door to help his son.
I had called my brother, and he showed up about that time (saw my empty car, made assumption that I went to ex's house) and he took us home.

There was no one that could help me tonight, so nothing to do but go home and rest. I don't know where the money will come from to buy a new tire (tire is not fixable). Child support has not been paid yet, and I haven't had a single client this month. Money I do have is from some things I sold, and I used it to pay a bill...with only $20 left.

Please send good money vibes my way. If ds gets approved for SSI, I'd have three months (or four?) of back pay coming my way. I need it right now..really very much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.