Mothering Forum banner

Swine flu vaccine

3K views 48 replies 38 participants last post by  GoBecGo 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Just joining today, after my second
Wondering if anyone has decided whether or not to get the swine flu vaccine. When I met with my RE two weeks ago, before BFP, she suggested getting it because the risk of fever, etc is worse to an early pregnancy than the vaccine. But I'm not sure...

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not planning to. I'm just uncomfortable with the idea, as so many people are on both sides of the fence. I had the reg flu a lot as a kid, but never since, and I've been exposed to it a lot in previous workplaces and never catch it. I just avoid sugar, take high quality vit C regularly, and make sure I religiously get a good night's sleep. If I feel the slightest touch of something coming on, I'll suck on a zinc losenge, and as long as I do that I never get sick.

#4 ·
I'm strongly leaning towards getting it. I work with small children and I have asthma. Being pregnant, that puts me at even more risk for respiratory complications. When I get sick, I get very sick. I'd like to lessen the likelyhood of needing to be hospitalized.

#5 ·
I won't be getting it and neither will any of my family. We are a non-vaxing family to begin with but even if we did Vax I would be skipping that one. The risks of a VERY new vaccine where the side effects on an unborn baby is not known isn't worth it to me. I am going to keep my immune system strong practice good hygiene and hope for the best. Good luck with whatever you decide.

#7 ·
This week I'm thinking no, we won't. But I'll continue to evaluate the situation and maybe once I'm out of first trimester, if I'm feeling like there is an increased threat, I may then. There are single dose vials available without thimerisol preservative but I don't know how hard they are to get. Right now, we are just being common sense careful about handwashing, good diet and sleep, etc. It's hard to gather real facts about this flu.

#9 ·
I won't be getting the vaccine and neither will DD. I don't work, have no children in school, and just hope to limit our exposure to crowds and anyone who is sick.

DH (military) already had to get it, so hopefully he won't be bringing the germs home.

Lots of handwashing and vitamins for us!

#10 ·
I know this isn't the popular view here at MDC, but if the vax ever comes to my area I will probably get it for both myself and DS. Mainly because we are at high risk for being in contact with contagious people. DS goes to a private preschool and daycare two days a week. I am a collage professor, so I am surrounded by hundreds of collage students with very dubious health habits. Whenever I lecture, I can hear a chorus of coughs, sneezes, and sniffles
. Also, I have an autoimmune disease, so I already at high risk of contracting every bug that comes my way
. I don't like the idea of taking a new vac, but I also don't want to take the risk of getting seriously ill.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
I know this isn't the popular view here at MDC, but if the vax ever comes to my area I will probably get it for both myself and DS. Mainly because we are at high risk for being in contact with contagious people. DS goes to a private preschool and daycare two days a week. I am a collage professor, so I am surrounded by hundreds of collage students with very dubious health habits. Whenever I lecture, I can hear a chorus of coughs, sneezes, and sniffles
. Also, I have an autoimmune disease, so I already at high risk of contracting every bug that comes my way
. I don't like the idea of taking a new vac, but I also don't want to take the risk of getting seriously ill.
I'm in a similar boat.

I know it isn't popular but I have to weigh the fact that I work with small children who swap germs on a regular basis. All the handwashing in the world won't protect me when a small child runs across the room to sneeze full on in my face.

With my asthma, I am already subject to complications to the flu. The regular flu will knock me out for weeks. This one might send me to the hospital or worse. I don't want to risk that. Being pregnant makes me all the more vulnerable.

I also don't see this particular vaccine as any better or worse than any other flu vaccine. The only thing different is the strain of virus used. I've had other flu vaxes with no problems and so I don't see why this one would be any different.

I will, however, be absolutely militant about making sure that I get the single dose version and not the mercury laden one.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post
I'll probably get the Flu vax but I'm not sure about the H1N1. It's so new...
It isn't all that new really. All they did was swap out the current flu strain for the H1N1 strain. The formula is exactly the same otherwise.

They do this every year when they decide on what the major strain is likely to be and adjust it accordingly. This isn't something that has never existed before like Gardesil. Now that is a vaccine I won't touch with a ten foot pole and a Geiger counter.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traceround View Post
It isn't all that new really. All they did was swap out the current flu strain for the H1N1 strain. The formula is exactly the same otherwise
Unless they choose to put the non FDA approved adjuvant (sp?) stuff in it to be able to make more doses.

#16 ·
I'm in Canada. Anyone know anything about the make-up of the vaccine up here? I heard an interview on CBC a few weeks ago that was saying that that have an "un-adjuct..." (can't remember the word) version for pregnant women. The scary part was that there are no trials being run on pregnant women in Canada, they are just saying that since the regular flu vaccine is fine for pregnant women, this should be fine too.
I am at a complete loss for what to do. I have never had a flu vaccine and don't want this one but given that dh and I are both primary teachers and work in a kind of petrie dish of germs, I think my risk is very high. Anyone know if there is thimerisol in the Canadian flu vaccine?

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traceround View Post
It isn't all that new really. All they did was swap out the current flu strain for the H1N1 strain. The formula is exactly the same otherwise.

Yes, this. If the H1N1 flu strain had emerged just a few months earlier it would have just been included in the regular seasonal flu vaccine along with the other 3 or 4 varying strains normally included. I think part of the reason H1N1 "seems" so different is that it emerged in the "off season" for flu viruses, and is therefore requiring it's own vaccine development.

#20 ·
We won't be getting it here. We are a no-vax family to begin with and at very low risk since, due to my husband's work schedule and only having one working vehicle, we rarely get out of the house.

#21 ·
Not here. We don't get the regular flu shot, and we aren't going to get the H1N1 vax either. We are just trying to make sure we eat really healthy, have lots of Vitamin C, exercise, and take good care of ourselves. New vaccines scare me.

#23 ·
I wont be getting the new h1n1 vax, just like I do not get any flu vaccines. Its not even that I am worried about it being a new vax so much. If the vaccine is based on the same principle/manufacture as the regular flu vaccine, what is the point?

They make these flu vaccines using the surface proteins of the virus, the very proteins that undergo a high rate of mutation from generation to generation (even within the same person). Just like the regular flu vax its rendered nearly useless by the time it reaches the shelf. Its also guaranteed to be almost completely obsolete by next flu season. H1N1 has suddenly doubled the income for manufactures because, Ta Da, you will need to get a new one every year (and possible two in one season). How convenient.

Until they make an effective and properly tested vaccine for the conserved structures of the flu virus, I wont be lining up to get them.

#24 ·
This is a tough one for me. My acupuncturist, who I've been working with for months now in preparation for this pregnancy is dead set against vaccinations, especially the Swine Flu vax - but just today at my ultrasound visit, my OB, who I love and trust very much, recommended I get vaccinated against Swine and "regular" flu. We had a good talk about it, where she explained that she feels differently about vaccines when it comes to children versus adults. With kids she's okay with selective/delayed vaccinations, with adults, particularly when it comes to the flu, she doesn't think there's any reason to decline them. I asked about the Swine flu vax being new and she said only the virus is new, the technology used to create the vaccine is tried and true. She said if she were me, she'd get the vaccinations.

I've invested so much in this pregnancy, spiritually, physically, even financially (though money's the least of my worries). I wouldn't want to risk it for anything but I can't decide what's more dangerous? The vaccination or the flu? Fresh from the OBs office I'm leaning toward getting the vax but my inner crunchy person, is yelling, "Don't do it!!!" Ugh!

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
ITA

I'm also an autoimmune sufferer, so whenever there is a bug going around, I tend to get twice as sick as anyone around me. A mild cold lasts four to six weeks for me. I have two children in public school, use military medical facilities (full of sick people), and live in an area that is likely to be hard hit by H1N1. As well, because my DH is deployed, I will have no help to care for sick kids or myself if we get a flu. Therefore, I'm thinking that we all will get the vax when it's available to us.

#26 ·
I won't be getting it and my 16 month old won't be getting it either. I don't even think I have ever had the flu in my life (well, maybe when I was a kid) and the vaccine has never been tested on pregnant women before.
Also, they advise that kids from 6 months to 2 years old get 4 FLU SHOTS this year (2 for regular flu and 2 for swine flu) which has never been done before...who knows what the side effects will be!?!
I'd rather take a chance with the flu than take a chance with the shots

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.