Mothering Forum banner

Thanksgiving recipes?

3K views 54 replies 26 participants last post by  Ms.Doula 
#1 ·
Anyone have good thanksgiving recipes they can share? Especially TF versions of Thanksgiving classics?

Cranberry Chutney?
Pumpkin soup?
Pumpkin pie?
Sweet potato pie?
stuffing?

Those are just the first things that come to mind...

Recipes that non-TF family members will like or won't know they are TF?

please share!

See less See more
#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post
Recipe?

Of course, let's see....

I had a small turkey but of course you could use any size and adjust....I am a throw it in the pot kind of cook so this will all be estimated, but it will work just fine.

I used a couple of cups of cider
Maybe a 1/4 cup maple syrup
dried marjoram and poultry seasoning
a bay leaf
butter salt and pepper
an onion, celery stalk and carrot
homemade turkey stock(I make turkeys more than just on thanksgiving, but chicken would be just fine as would boxed broth)

*So I jammed butter up under the skin of the turkey and sprinkled salt, pepper and poultry seasoning onto the skin of the turkey.
*Then I put the veg. inside the cavity, I think I also seasoned the inside of the turkey with salt and pepper and herbs as well.
*Then I put the turkey in the roaster and seared the outside by setting the oven high like 425 at first and then once it was seared I turned it down to slow cook.
*At that point I poured in the cider, stock and maple syrup and basted the turkey with the liquids about every 20mins.
*Once the turkey was made I made gravy the reg. way, but I like the pp idea of using heavy cream to thicken intstead, it would be yummy this way I think!

I served this with cornbread stuffing but it would be good with other kinds, maybe even one with some nuts or fruit in it.

#28 ·
Ok, that's it. I have put in an order for a heritage breed local turkey.

I was surprised to FIND a heritage breed local turkey... doubly surprised to find a small one that would be the right size for our tiny gathering, and triply (is that a word?) surprised to find that it cost about the same as last year's disappointing organic turkey.

Now I'm going to do my best to make it a Local Thanksgiving. Luckily for me, being in south Texas, that's pretty easy to do. I won't go 100%, cuz I like salt and there's no local butter and... I seriously doubt anyone grows cranberries down here.

Anyway, that cider/maple/marjoram turkey recipe sounds like a real possibility. I've been gathering recipe ideas... I need to finalize my menu soon so I can start shopping and not leave it all to one big, expensive trip.

#30 ·
Quote:

I have a whole list going now thanks to you ladies!
Funny tho, cause I am due on Thanksgiving day this year... Hopefully, in-laws and my mom will step up to the plate and make all the food (maybe a few days early or late depending on baby)!
Can't miss Thanksgiving!!
Here is my list so far (it will definitely continue to grow):
-Turkey
-Fermented Cranberry Chutney
-Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
-Greens w/garlic and butter
-preserved lemon salsa
-almond flour buscuits
-somesort of potato thingy
-pumpkin pie with nut crust

hmmm, looks like a lot of starch, need to come up with more starch free type thanksgiving recipes... any ideas?
How funny! We're due on the same day. I would LOVE to cook a TF style thanksgiving this year but my MIL is flying out for the birth and she is one of those take over the kitchen kinda people. Plus, hubby will defend his mom and what he wants to eat. Not worth the fight. Although I probably will make a couple TF friendly sides (like the stuffing for sure). Helping her sub boxed crap for some homemade stuff.

#31 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisteeesmama View Post
Of course, let's see....

I had a small turkey but of course you could use any size and adjust....I am a throw it in the pot kind of cook so this will all be estimated, but it will work just fine.

I used a couple of cups of cider
Maybe a 1/4 cup maple syrup
dried marjoram and poultry seasoning
a bay leaf
butter salt and pepper
an onion, celery stalk and carrot
homemade turkey stock(I make turkeys more than just on thanksgiving, but chicken would be just fine as would boxed broth)

*So I jammed butter up under the skin of the turkey and sprinkled salt, pepper and poultry seasoning onto the skin of the turkey.
*Then I put the veg. inside the cavity, I think I also seasoned the inside of the turkey with salt and pepper and herbs as well.
*Then I put the turkey in the roaster and seared the outside by setting the oven high like 425 at first and then once it was seared I turned it down to slow cook.
*At that point I poured in the cider, stock and maple syrup and basted the turkey with the liquids about every 20mins.
*Once the turkey was made I made gravy the reg. way, but I like the pp idea of using heavy cream to thicken intstead, it would be yummy this way I think!

I served this with cornbread stuffing but it would be good with other kinds, maybe even one with some nuts or fruit in it.
Oh wow, that sounds heavenly! I think I may take over turkey cooking this year (even if I'm in labor)! When you turned the heat down, what did you turn it to?

#34 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
Does anyone have a good recipe for cranberry chutney/ fermented cranberry something?

In regards to using cream to thicken gravy - has anyone tried this with coconut milk? Was it successful?
While I haven't done gravy this way, I've made lovely alfredo sauces with coconut cream. I just stick the cans in the fridge overnight and scoop off the hardened cream. I save the "skim" water for other purposes.

HTH!

#35 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenalove46 View Post
Oh wow, that sounds heavenly! I think I may take over turkey cooking this year (even if I'm in labor)! When you turned the heat down, what did you turn it to?
350, sorry, should have said that!

I actually made one yesterday and it came out so moist, I love FALL!

Another recipe I remembered that would be good for Thanksgiving is swisschard/broccoli rabe with craisins, walnuts, balsamic vinegar and garlic/onions cooked in Olive oil or Coconut oil or butter.......SO yummy.

#36 ·
This thread is making me drool!

I'm not sure what my menu is yet. I have to endure a family gathering with the ILs but luckily it is on F instead of T-day. SO, we are having a dinner at our house - just DH, DD and I plus a friend of DH's that doesn't have family in the area.

One thing I've been making for the last few years is a pumpkin pie with coconut milk subbed for the other milks. VERY tasty! I started doing it when I was dairy free for a while and now I just do it because it is good.

#39 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
I feel like a goober but I totally don't see it....

Hehehehe! I totally understand! here yah go again!

The Cranberry chutney:
3 c. cranberries
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. nuts (pecans)
1/2 c. rapadura
2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. whey
1/2 c. prune juice or other juice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
juice from 1 orange
juice from 1 lemon

pulse first 10 ingredients in food processor
stir in raisins
ferment for 48 hours
refridgerate

What do you guys think about using date paste or something instead of rapadura? Then it would be completely fruit sweetened!

#41 ·
Well, just two weeks to go! I finally finished planning my menu. I'm overcooking and I know it. Hopefully the leftovers will freeze well. I absolutely could not come to a compromise on dessert, so I decided to be all cute and hostess-y and package up the cranberry bars for my guests to take home with them.
Here's what we'll be eating:

Spiced Pecans and Pepitas (appetizer)

Cider-Brined Turkey with Giblet Gravy
Cornbread Dressing
Cranberry Salad
Roasted Root Vegetables
Bubba Beans (my BIL's long-cooked green beans with ham)
Broccoli Rabe with Lemon and Shallots
Chebe Rolls

Pumpkin Custard in Pumpkin Shells
Cranberry Bars
Chocolate-dipped Fruits (and marshmallows and... well... anything that stands still long enough, LOL)

#43 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
Well, just two weeks to go! I finally finished planning my menu. I'm overcooking and I know it. Hopefully the leftovers will freeze well. I absolutely could not come to a compromise on dessert, so I decided to be all cute and hostess-y and package up the cranberry bars for my guests to take home with them.

Cornbread Dressing
Cranberry Salad
Roasted Root Vegetables
Chebe Rolls

Cranberry Bars
Chocolate-dipped Fruits (and marshmallows and... well... anything that stands still long enough, LOL)

Recipes please?

#45 ·
Quote:

I have a whole list going now thanks to you ladies!
Funny tho, cause I am due on Thanksgiving day this year... Hopefully, in-laws and my mom will step up to the plate and make all the food (maybe a few days early or late depending on baby)!
Can't miss Thanksgiving!!
Here is my list so far (it will definitely continue to grow):
-Turkey
-Fermented Cranberry Chutney
-Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
-Greens w/garlic and butter
-preserved lemon salsa
-almond flour buscuits
-somesort of potato thingy
-pumpkin pie with nut crust

hmmm, looks like a lot of starch, need to come up with more starch free type thanksgiving recipes... any ideas?

How do you make the -Fermented Cranberry Chutney??????

#46 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post

Cornbread Dressing
Cranberry Salad
Roasted Root Vegetables
Chebe Rolls

Cranberry Bars

oh yes recipes!!!! PLEASE

#49 ·
Oh, cranberry chutney, how could I forget cranberries!!!!! I love cranberries. I usually just do them w/ coconut, pecans and pineapple chunks but that recipe sounds very good.

Oh, on sweet potatoes I make them very basic but we love them here- bake in their skin(I think the texture and taste is better that way). Then I slip them out of them skins and mash w/ plenty of cinnamon, coco oil, and some raw honey then top w/ nuts. Especially tasty if you toast the nuts in some oil(I used to do butter). However, for day to day I usually just top w/ the plain nuts, but for a special occasion will toast them and sprinkle w/ a bit of turbinado. You can then rebake for that twicebaked taste but they are still yummy even if not.

#51 ·
Quote:

Hehehehe! I totally understand! here yah go again!

The Cranberry chutney:
3 c. cranberries
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. nuts (pecans)
1/2 c. rapadura
2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. whey
1/2 c. prune juice or other juice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
juice from 1 orange
juice from 1 lemon

pulse first 10 ingredients in food processor
stir in raisins
ferment for 48 hours
refridgerate

What do you guys think about using date paste or something instead of rapadura? Then it would be completely fruit sweetened!

I just tasted this and it is DELICIOUS!!!! I am a die-hard jellied cranberry sauce fan and was slightly apprehensive about anything other than that, but I made this for thanksgiving at the in-laws and sampled it today. It is awesome! If you didn't make it this year, definitely do it next year!

#52 ·
(Meant to quote above poster....regarding Cranberry Chutney) I have this sitting on my counter as we speak. I hope it is as good as you said! I got some wierd looks from hubby about it. I have decided that I am going to make most everything this year and tomorrow is the day I'm gonna prep it all.

I'm making a crock pot dressing with some sourdough from a local bakery and it looks so good (and easy).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.