Mothering Forum banner

October 2009 Charting to Avoid Thread

10K views 378 replies 27 participants last post by  BarefootScientist 
#1 ·
Welcome to the October 2009 charting to avoid thread. If you would like to be added or removed (or have anything changed) from the roll call list, please let me know by PMing me. PM me if you'd like to start next month's thread.

Here's a link to last month's September thread.
If you did not post in August or September, you may have been deleted from the list. If you were mistakenly deleted, or you would like to be added/removed, please PM me and let me know. I cannot promise to make changes requested in the thread, but I will try to get to everything.

*Charting/Using FAM/NFP to AVOID*

who we are:

54mama - since 8/09
Ajbaby - since 8/09
alicewyf - CTA since 9/09 plus 6 m before
AnnieA - since 12/07
annie2186
BarefootScientist - since 08/08 and 12 cycles in '05-'06
bbrandonsmom
brittneyscott - since 8/09
Carlin - CTA since 8/09
craft_media_hero
DanaMarie
eirual - CTA for 2.5 years
elonwy - since 8/09
Eresh - since 8/09
GriffsKat - since 4/09
heathermarie73
HulaJenn - since 4/09
JoyFilled
Kelm711
LadyBee
laurelg - CTA since 10/09, plus 16 months before
MarineWife - CTA for 10 months, now CFS&G
michelleoverby - since 8/07
mommyevekitty - since 9/09
momtokimari
motray36 - charting since 10/04
MovingMomma - since 02/09 + some time before
mystic~mama - CTA for 3 years
NaturalMindedMomma -
Nazsmum
nerdymom - CTA since 8/09
phatchristy
pmojzak
RaraAvis - CTA since 8/09 plus 13 months before
ScarletBegonias - CTA since 4/09
Smylingeyz - CTA since 06/08
whitekole
wholewheatchick - since 05/09

Graduates (no longer charting to avoid)
maggirayne -- CTA 02/08-10/08
JuicyPakwan - CTA 06/07 - 06/08 (?)
jul511riv - CTA 17 mo
Mrs_Lurker - CTA 11 mo
augustinem -- cta 6 mo
DanelleB - 12/07 - 05/08
Runner29 - CTA since 07/07 + 2 years previous
ShwarmaQueen - CTA since 09/07
BananaBreadGirl - CTA for 2 years
sk8ermaiden - 09/07-10/08
texaspeach - 10/04 - 01/09
cfiddlinmama - CTA 11/07 - 01/09 + more prior
CanidFL - CTA 06/08 - 02/09
Shell_Ell - (FF) (OS) 11/04 - 02/09 (15 cycles)
Juliacat - CTA 03/08 - 03/09, +33 cycles prior from 2001-2004
mommy2twobabes - CTA 7/08 - 03/08
Othermother'n'madre - CTA 02/08 - 04/09
cahwilson - 01/09 - 04/09
lacysmommy - 04/09-05/09
DucetteMama21842 - CTA 11/08 - 7/09
Danielle283 -
Teenytoona - 2/09-8/09
Virginia884 - 2/09 - 8/09
momongeon
Laggie - 1/09 - 9/09
wannaBmom_NICU_RN - 1/09-9/09
dachshundqueen - since 6/04

Pregnancies per Month (due to user error or condom failure unless otherwise noted)
February - at least 1
March - 2
April - 2
May - 2
June - 0
July - 0
August - 0
September - 1

Happy charting!

Summary of FAM rules (sympto-thermal)

Pre-ovulation rules:

1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.

2) Dry day rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.

Post ovulation rules:

1) Peak day rule: the last day of fertile mucous is called the peak day (the day before your mucous begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucous appears, start your count over.

2) Temperature shift rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.

BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.

How to set a coverline:

When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2 degrees F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1 degrees F above that highest temp.

Resources

Books:
Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler
Garden of Fertility and Honoring Our Cycles workbook, by Katie Singer
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila Kippley
Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing: How Ecological Breastfeeding Spaces Babies by Sheila Kippley
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition
by Marilyn Shannon

Websites:
Ovusoft charting software, and brief fertility library
Fertility Friend charting software, and ttc charting guide
Author Katie Singer's Garden of Fertility website
Billings Ovulation Method info
Billings Ovulation Method Association, USA
Billings Centre, CA
Couple to Couple League (find an NFP instructor)
Creighton Model

Abbreviations:
AF: Aunt Flo, your period
BFP: what we are trying to avoid, a positive pregnancy test
CD: Cycle day
CM: cervical mucous (same as CF)
CF: cervical fluid (same as CM)
DPO: Days past ovulation
DTD: Do the deed
GIO: get it on
EWCM: eggwhite cervical mucous/fluid
LP: Luteal phase - the time from ovulation until your period, average 10-16 days
LTL: low temp level (basically 1/10th below FAM's CL or on the highest of the 6 previous temps)
HTL: high temp level (4/10ths above LTL, temp rise needed to indicate O)

See less See more
#352 ·
Still no clue about my chart...I've decided to just put it back the way it was and interpret my spotting as very light AF. My temp is down like it normally does at the beginning of a new cycle. I'm not pg. So I'm just going to move on to the next cycle.

My chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1f0436

#353 ·
Nazsmum - I third or fourth or whatever TCOYF. It is a great book and easy to understand. What I would do if I were you is just learn as much as you can about cervical fluid and how to interpret it, and start charting yours. You can temp if you want too, but if you don't want to yet, you can start when you start seeing a change in cervical fluid and that way you can catch your thermal shift.

Annie, something is still fishy about your chart (obviously). But your temp did drop back down so I guess you probably aren't pregnant. Hope you get it figured out soon. Is the spotting like what you typically get before your period, or is it really like a light flow?

I am starting to gear up to ovulate. Chart.

#354 ·
AnnieA: I don't think there's any way to know, but I think your chart looks like a super early miscarriage. Spotting and a post O temp jump on CD 8, plus an unusually light AF... I know you never got a +HPT, but I think it fits.

#355 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
AnnieA: I don't think there's any way to know, but I think your chart looks like a super early miscarriage. Spotting and a post O temp jump on CD 8, plus an unusually light AF... I know you never got a +HPT, but I think it fits.

Well, AF has picked up as well as cramps arriving so it's definitely full-blown AF now. The spotting until today was different than it usually is. It was like pink-tinged watery CF rather than dark brown sticky CF. But there were episodes of bright red blood on Wednesday and Thursday so that is why I am leaving it as light AF.

One of the pg tests that I took appeared to have a very faint line but I didn't notice it until yesterday evening when I went to throw them all away. It was the test that I took Wednesday evening so I should officially count it as an evap line. The other tests didn't have that though.
I know that I *felt* like I did when I had the chemical last summer. My breasts just feel different than they do when I have PMS. I'm more aware of them or something.

I guess it's a good thing I will never TTC because my track record so far of keeping a pregnancy isn't so good.

#356 ·
again, Annie. I'm sorry things have been so wacky and emotionally straining lately. I hope things settle down for you.

I'm still waiting for
to start. I wore my Diva cup and a liner to the gym. About halfway through my walk/run interval I had to stop running because the Diva started to pinch me. It must've moved down from my exertion. This was after I had lifted weights and I lift hard and heavy. Have any of you who use a Diva or similar cup had this problem when exercising? I think I need to snip off the end of the part that sticks down. Honestly, I haven't done it because I'm afraid I won't be able to get the thing out without that little tab. I know that's probably silly.

I looked up what TCOYF says about the wet/ew discharge and feeling just before AF. It's the first part of the endometrial lining that comes out when progesterone drops and indicates that the corpus luteum has fulling disintegrated. It is not CF, fertile or otherwise.

#357 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Rara ~ I'd say you are safe now.
I'd still put your O day on cd17, but one day doesn't make a difference at this point unless you tend to freak out at the end of your lp.
who, me? Damn skippy, I'll be back here in a week frantically looking for reassurance

AnnieA: I'm so sorry. I was thinking about you last night -- I really hope that you and your DH find a situation you can be happy with.

MW: I totally hear you on the "dropping cloth pads into the toilet" thing -- I had the same trouble when I was cloth diapering DD-- I had extra cloth lines in the diaper and *always forgot and shook it in the toilet.

BFS: Is it just me, or did you change from a sleepy coffee cartoon in your siggy to a thumbs-up? That seems like a big jump in mood!

#358 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RaraAvis View Post
who, me? Damn skippy, I'll be back here in a week frantically looking for reassurance

OK, I'm telling you now, if
is a day late, don't freak! It's just cuz your O was a day later than FF says.

#359 ·
Ok. So... DH decided we should DTD without any protection or anything yesterday. Which was CD10. When I did O, it was super late and I had a short LP. So I'm not exactly worried. But I told him, I reserve the right to cry and blame him if he ruins my plans for a vacation this spring because I end up pregnant.

#360 ·
I finally decided to sit down and check out FF, and since I'm on CD3 it was easy to set up. Yay! I'm still going to do my own book charts, but in case I have questions I can now show everyone. If someone tells me how to link it
Can I put it in my signature? I vaguely remember did they change that recently where you could and now you can't?
Oh, and AF is extremely heavy again, same as last month. The only change in my diet I can think of is I've been eating lots of tofu and almost no meat. Can the phytoestrogens in tofu change the hormone balance in a way that makes AF heavier?

#361 ·
You can't put links in your sig anymore. BFS can put a link to your chart on the first page of this thread. You can always post a link when you want us to peak at it. Go to sharing on the left side of your FF charting page. Click on homepage set up. Set up your homepage and check or uncheck the box to allow others to view it. Copy and paste the link at the top of the homepage set up and we should be able to see it.

FF says I may test now because I'm past my usual lp. I may be pregnant!

Still waiting for

#362 ·
AnnetteM-hi there

MW-cut that thing down, at least that's what I did. My uterus is tilted, so I think I have issues w/ the diva anyhow. It worked after ds1, but not after ds2. I cut that end all the way down and had no problems getting it out. I know some other moms who had to do that too. I'm going to have to try those cloth pads-do they work for heavy?
Oh, are you doing anything different to effect your lp?

I forget what day I'm on. I think d16. I missed another temp this morning, so will try for tomorrow. This is certainly a rough month for me, and no worries on getting pregnant at all.

#363 ·
OMGosh, I'm so glad we decided not to have intercourse at all this month-- I think I might be about to ovulate! Purely going by mucous signs and the fact that I'm having ovulatory pain, because I haven't started temping yet. It's almost as if my body just started it's normal cycle from the day of the D&E, even though I bled for so much longer than I would if I had a period (does that make sense? It does in my head, LOL!)

Anyway, is there any sense in starting to temp now, or should I wait until my period starts?

#364 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
OMGosh, I'm so glad we decided not to have intercourse at all this month-- I think I might be about to ovulate! Purely going by mucous signs and the fact that I'm having ovulatory pain, because I haven't started temping yet. It's almost as if my body just started it's normal cycle from the day of the D&E, even though I bled for so much longer than I would if I had a period (does that make sense? It does in my head, LOL!)

Anyway, is there any sense in starting to temp now, or should I wait until my period starts?
Your temps won't tell you anything about when you will O, just that you have Oed after the fact. You could start temping now. If you can get at least 6 pre-O temps, you should be able to see a thermal shift (if you have one). The day of your D&E would be day 1.

bbm ~ I think the cloth pads come in different types, liner, regular and heavy. If the SMJAE ones don't, I know other brands do. I just don't know the brands specifically. I think if you look on Hyena Cart or Neccesitae, you'll find some.

I haven't done anything differently as far as I know. Technically, I don't think I'm late yet.
is due today and the day's not over yet. My lp has been as long at 14 days before a couple of times so I have a couple more days before wondering wth.

#365 ·
AnnieA, bbm

Quote:

And we'll be happy to provide it.

Quote:

FF says I may test now because I'm past my usual lp. I may be pregnant!

Still waiting for

Well, MW, you NEVER KNOW!
Some of us believe it's happened at least once before...

haha

annettemarie, you can start temping now if you have your thermometer. You may not get enough temps to tell you anything useful this cycle, but then again you may! I have never had a miscarriage but I have heard that the cycle after one you can be extra fertile and ovulate sooner than normal.

#366 ·
Quote:

BFS: Is it just me, or did you change from a sleepy coffee cartoon in your siggy to a thumbs-up? That seems like a big jump in mood!

Yes. They both apply.
I had a feeling I was starting to put
after like all my posts so I figured I'd save myself some trouble.

#367 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
Well, MW, you NEVER KNOW!
Some of us believe it's happened at least once before...

Maybe but I certainly wouldn't be first choice for that. I'm far from pure.

Got
first thing this am.

#368 ·
I love this smiley for af. It makes me smile everytime I see it. Maybe because it's so appropriate.

Still in the 'quiet' phase of my cycle. That being, right after af is done, no cf, no moods, nothing. It's just quiet. I like this time. It feels like all hell is breaking loose when I start to get fertile. It's just all downhill from there.

This must be what it's like to be a man.

Must be nice.

#370 ·
Hey thank for the advice. I about 10 month PP. My little guy is really only b/fing. He only really plays with "food" He is my second with my 1st AF came back on his 1st b-day. But I have had some spoting? See I'm not sure that it was not the whole thing.? You know?
So I'm going to look at another book. Also maybe the Couple to couple home coure.

He is teething and I not sleeping and not thinking so sorry for not making sence. I will figure this out.

#372 ·
Hey ladies

I have a ? can taking your temps at varying times (but within an hour of eachother) make a huge difference in temps?

I have three temps all within an hour hour of eachother and they are all over the place. 96.9, 96.1, then 96.3. Maybe because the first day I had just had the Mirena removed and the Progestin was getting out of my system? The 96.9 was the latest at 4 AM and the others were at 3 and 345 AM ...

Any thoughts?

#373 ·
NMM, I would think just having the Mirena removed is what is making your temps crazy, not the variation in temp times. If the variation is over an hour I have found it to make a difference but under an hour, not usually. It can vary by person too I think.

You can get an idea of how they compare by keeping in mind that an hour usually equals 2 tenths of a degree (later - 2 tenths higher; earlier 2 tenths lower).

#374 ·
NMM ~ You shouldn't temp more than once a day. Take it when you first wake up and use that temp. If you have any unusual circumstances, make note of them on your chart. If you have FF, you can leave the default temp time blank and FF will attempt to determine your usual time. That's what I do because my sleep is to precious to set an alarm just to take my temp.

#375 ·
Quote:

NMM ~ You shouldn't temp more than once a day. Take it when you first wake up and use that temp. If you have any unusual circumstances, make note of them on your chart. If you have FF, you can leave the default temp time blank and FF will attempt to determine your usual time. That's what I do because my sleep is to precious to set an alarm just to take my temp.
I temped once a day over the last three days, does that make sense?

I think the Mirena removal is prob the culprit...
I just am not sure how and what this cycle will show. I am actually excited to see if I am ovulating or not.

ETA I didn't set an Alarm, those are the times the babe wakes. So closo together I guess she has a schedule! LOL

#376 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NaturalMindedMomma View Post
I temped once a day over the last three days, does that make sense?
Oh, ok. Those temps were for 3 separate days. I thought you meant you temped at 3 different times the same morning. Then I agree with you all that it could be the Mirena. If it has progesterone, your temps will be higher when you have it in and maybe right after having it removed and lower after removal.

My brain must not be working properly. I can't seem to understand what anyone else is saying lately.

Trick or Treat!
Happy Halloween!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.