Mothering Forum banner

Check this out! "Oil Cleansing Method"!

105K views 199 replies 127 participants last post by  Lady Sophy 
#1 ·
This is freakin' amazing. 10 pages of people saying they love how it works. I'm very intrigued & plan on giving it a try. I like my oatmeal scrub but I worry about clogging the drains with it. Plus, who can resist something that might be *better*? :LOL

#178 ·
I just started about three weeks ago using just EVOO, and added in the castor oil today. The first two times I did it I could see and feel all the hard plugs of oil that came out on my hands...it was crazy. I got a couple of zits on my cheeks (which I never get) the first week, but I think it was mainly due to the process pulling all the crud out of my pores. Although the article says to be generous with the oil, I find I have better luck using a smaller amount, that way my fingertips still have enough friction to sort of scrub and help pull the clogs out of my pores. I rub it on, let it set for a couple minutes, then do the massage, keeping my face very relaxed and using very slow circular motions. After I'm done, I usually use a little bit of a witch hazel toner, which I also use in the morning and before bed (I do the OCM in the afternoon when I get a chance to shower). Overall my skin is much less oily, my nose is no longer flaky and my face feels clean, not tight and dry. So far, so good!

#179 ·
okay,read this whole thread tonight.Off to pull out my evoo,pot of water to steam and some bamboo rags.

Think I'll try it on one side of my face only so if I actually DO break out worse I can tell people I took part in some bizarre "clean your face with oil" to see what oil does to your face experiment

#181 ·
In contrast to some of the other posters, I have had fabulous results by keeping this as simple as possible.

My skin is combination - dry cheeks, oily nose, blackheads around nose and hairline, some pimples on the chin, and starting to get crows-feet around my eyes. I've never been able to adequately balance all those zones before.

I pour a little castor oil and a little olive oil in my hand, about half and half, and mix between my palms. I massage it into my face well, including into my eyelashes, as I sometimes wear waterproof mascara and maybe some eyeshadow. I massage about 2 minutes. Then I run the water until it's hot, but it never gets very hot as we turned the water heater down. I soak a facecloth, drape it over my face for about one lovely breath, then gently massage my face with the cloth. All the makeup comes off, and most of the oil.

Then I drop the cloth in the laundry and go to bed.

It takes about 4 minutes total, and my skin is lovelier than it has been since puberty. The blackheads gradually dissolved over a week and didn't return. There were a few small pimples, but as others have posted they heal twice as fast now, and haven't come back. I don't need to moisturize afterwards, because I'm not steam-scrubbing all the oils off. My skin feels dewy and glowy right after the treatment, and the next day. In the morning, I splash my face, then apply sunscreen and makeup. This is the easiest, most effective, and eco-friendliest regimen I have ever followed. I love it. I just wish it didn't sound so insane when I try to explain it to people.

#185 ·
I've been using this method for a while and my skin, which suffered from sensitivity/hormonal acne/milia, is doing much better. My acne has almost completely cleared, I'm not getting any more milia and my skin is just clearer and rosier.

I use Jojoba and Castor Oil, but alternate their usage. In the morning, I use only jojoba, because the castor oil is really strong and was leaving my skin with a tight feeling. But it clears my pores the best, so I decided to only use it once a day, at night.

I use about a quarter-sized amount of jojoba oil in the morning and rub it around in circles all over my face for 2-3 minutes. Then I run hot hot water over a wash cloth and set it on my face and then smooth the oil off. I rinse it and do the same several times, until my face feels oil-free. I make sure I wash my hands of oil (with soap) so I can best judge if my face is clean.

I know when it's working, because my face will feel light and like it can breathe. I never know how much my face suffered the harsh cleansers I used before until I realized what it felt like for my skin to actually BREATHE. It's amazing. I had a day when my whole OUTLOOK felt better, just because my FACE felt...OPEN. I don't know how to describe it!

At night, I use a little drop (not even a dime-size) of castor oil and then jojoba with it. And do the same process.

This has worked wonders for me! I definitely think that if this method isn't working for you, you should try different oils/different amounts. Most people recommend 50/50, but that would have KILLED my skin! 50% castor oil would be TOO STRONG for me!

I think people with normally oily skin should try more castor oil, people with sensitive skin/dry should try LESS. And i've never even tried EVOO, because jojoba works very well and is a good match for the natural oils (sebum) we already make. So it seems to do a great job melting the oils out of my pores!

Anyway, that's my experience!

#186 ·
I stumbled across the concept of oil cleansing while I was searching for things to do with coconut oil and immediately switched from my natural mainstream cleansers to Coconu Oil. I must say I have never been happier with my skin and I hadn't even expected it to work in the first place.

My routine is that I rub my face with about a teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oils including my eyes and lashes to remove all traces of makeup while the shower warms up, then I hop in and soak the washcloth with steaming hot water and lay it over my face for about 10 seconds. I lightly rub my face with the wet washcloth gently scrubbing my problem areas.
After I get out of the shower I moisturize with a tiny dab of Jojoba oil and voilà I am good to go. I then apply makeup as usual.
I cannot tell you what a blessing finding this process has been for me. I feel like the last 15 years of my life were spent doling money out on cleanser after cleanser that claimed to fix all my ailments when my solution was right in my kitchen. Who would have thought it?!?
I encourage everyone to give this a try, if one kind o oil isn't working out for you just try another one.

Blessings!

#187 ·
Hello!

I like to know if DHC Deep cleansing oil works as well as your oils "out of the kitchen", since DHC contains more than just oil.

Ingredients: Olea Europaea (olive) Fruit Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbeth-30 Tetraoleate, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Rosmarinus Officinalis (rosemary) Leaf Oil.

thank you for sharing your experiences with this method!

#188 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by evoo View Post
Hello!

I like to know if DHC Deep cleansing oil works as well as your oils "out of the kitchen", since DHC contains more than just oil.

Ingredients: Olea Europaea (olive) Fruit Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbeth-30 Tetraoleate, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Rosmarinus Officinalis (rosemary) Leaf Oil.

thank you for sharing your experiences with this method!

i haven't tried it but would probably skip just due to the paraben. YMMV.

#189 ·
OK, I'm going to try this. I have to order the Castor Oil (no HFS around here
), though.

I've had horrible skin since junior high. I've tried everything. What's the old saying? Something about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

#190 ·
I am trying this tonight with CO & Coconut oil- 50/50, and a little bit of jojoba.

I have had bad cystic acne for the last 4 years- never had it as a teen. It has been so awful. I have tried SO many different things, but have yet to go to the dermatologist. I don't want some perscription, plus since I'm nursing it's doubtful they would have any other options. So I am giving this a try- nothing to lose, right? I just really hope things don't get worse!

#191 ·
I have done this for the past 2 evenings and loving the smooth clean feel my skin has. No tightness and certainly no greasiness. I have only got EVOO on hand, so that's what I've been using (I actually had some infusing with some lavender flowers so am using that). I had some dry patches and they already seem to have buffed away. It will be interesting to see if the rosacea around my nostrils settles down.

#193 ·
Hi everyone, just wanted to let you all know I've been doing this for 2 weeks and my skin is happier than it's been in years, ps I'm 43 and had combination skin and I'm using a 20/80 blend of castor oil/olive oil. Wish I'd discovered this in my youth, all that money I'd have saved too lol
:twothumbs

#194 ·
I am confused. In the article she said that you have to use Castor Oil about +- 20% and other oil +-80%. But if I read here, most of you are using 50/50????

I have not tried it at all, so if I use 20% CO and lets say 80% Olive oil, is that then correct. I actually looked up this article to use as a facial cleanser for my 2 girls of 9 and 11 years old.

But will the rinsing with very hot water on a facecloth not be tooo much for them??? I can see myself doing it, but do not know about the kids.

They do not have any skin problems, but now and then there is one little white head popping up (so small that it does not even bother them), they are very active and athletic and we live in Namibia/Africa dry and hot climate. I just want something that is natural and get them to start cleaning their faces properly without chemicals. I do not feel water is doing the job, with them being active/sweaty/dusty farm girls not the mention sport activity's.

Please can someone give me advice???

#196 ·
I'd suggest playing with the ratios of the oils & the temperature of the water until you find something that works for your girls. They may even enjoy having their own special bottles with formulas tweaked exactly for their skin. You can start at 80/20 and adjust from there until each of you figures out what will work best. Same for the rinse. You might enjoy hotter water for longer, one of your daughters might like very hot for a breath, another might need it to be simply warm but not hot.

I was trying to figure out how to do this "right" for a while & gave up. I'm having much more success now that I've stopped reading about how to do it & am just mixing up formulas that seem to suit my skin. It takes a bit of play, but I think I've gotten a routine down. And I expect that that will change with the seasons so nothing is set in concrete. Good luck!

#197 ·
jojoba &coconut oil

I have adult acne in my T zones .Oily forehead ,chin and nose.Cheeks get a huge painful pimples but rarely to a head. Ive been using JOJOBA oil & Coconut oil 1/2 &1/2.I keep the oil in a little glass jar in the mirror cabinet.

1. wash my hands (am)
2.Use a cotton ball and rub it allover my face massaging it well in.
3. Then I take a white wash cloth (organic or terry) soak it in hot water,squeeze it out,place on face for 10 min or until rag gets cool.
4.Rinse with cool water and pat dry with clean towel.

***Doing this ( 3 times a week) has really keep most of face clear unless its that time of month...

I have also read that coconut and castor should be used with another oil carrier because both are very strong alone on skin and may cause rash like on forehead....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.