Mothering Forum banner

Christmas!or any other December(ish)time gift giving celebration!

31K views 649 replies 61 participants last post by  IntuitiveJamie 
#1 ·
This thread over here really got me excited!But since I don't have a big bunch of tuts,patterns or "how tos" to share I thought I'd start a thread over here.

So...Have you started?Are you planning?

I started on one thing and have a few plans.I'm going to make teacup candles for the ladies in my family.Thankfully there is a Good Will by my house that usually has lots of teacups.

As always I'm short on ideas for the fellas.

So what are you all up to or planning?

See less See more
#354 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post
My mom gave me a good idea and I thought I'd share it with all of you. I needed a gift for a 2 1/2 year old boy and a 4 year old boy, and my mom suggested a tool belt. I think it's a terrific idea!

I can't find a tutorial for one, but I figured I'd just copy my husband's tool belt and just scale it down to size. I'm going to use brown felt, our Walmart has felt by the yard for like $2/yard. My mom thinks I should put a buckle on them, but that sounds too complicated so I think I'll just give them long ties, like an apron.

Anyway, maybe some of you can use the idea!
If your a knitter, New Knits on the Block has a great pattern for a tool belt and tools!
http://www.amazon.com/New-Knits-Bloc...8942586&sr=8-1

#355 ·
SO I've been taking a break....because I'm stumped on what to work on next. I need gifts for dh's cousins little ones a 2y old girl and a 4 y old boy. I could give the girl the hat I made and knit one for the boy...I really don't know BUT I got to figure something out. I'm going in for minor day surgery today and who knows how long I'm going to hav to wait so I would like something on the needles!

#356 ·
Some of my favorite boy hat patterns are the R2D2 hat, and the coney hat. I'm Panjo on Ravelry if you want to see my finished ones. Coney is a great stash buster and mindless knit which is nice for a project on the go.

If you sew, even just as a beginner you could make the girl a bookbag and put a few used kids books in it. That is my go to gift. Lately I've been using a drawing my son did (3years old) and embroidering it on a pocket of the bookbag.

#357 ·
I found a newsboy cap that I jsut started to knit...I'm doing it in a funky orange w the thought that once its too small it can be used by his little sister(plus I have an abundance of orange so I don't have to buy any yarn
)

Hopefully I'll get the ribbing done(have to increase needles after that) before I go so it's straight knitting at the hospital...

We're maybe going to get santa pictures done after
the mall by the hospital does FREE santa pictures
Not looking forward to the line up though
but am looking forward to saving 20 bucks

#358 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
I found a newsboy cap that I jsut started to knit...I'm doing it in a funky orange w the thought that once its too small it can be used by his little sister(plus I have an abundance of orange so I don't have to buy any yarn
)

Hopefully I'll get the ribbing done(have to increase needles after that) before I go so it's straight knitting at the hospital...

We're maybe going to get santa pictures done after
the mall by the hospital does FREE santa pictures
Not looking forward to the line up though
but am looking forward to saving 20 bucks
Hope everything goes well with your surgery (and that you get some uninterrupted knitting time in
).

#359 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rere View Post
Hope everything goes well with your surgery (and that you get some uninterrupted knitting time in
).

Surprising the wait/procedure didn't take more then an hour total! So I didn't even p/up the needles! And we did get to see Santa! Hurt to be walking the mall but it was the only time dh could go w us unless we went on the weekend which is not my idea of a good time. There was only 8 kids infront of us
they already emailed the picture and they did a video recording of dc sitting w santa...all for FREE!!!!

#361 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
Finished my MIL crochet hook clutch! Its fabulous!

My sister is about to have a baby girl and I forgot to add her to the list. HELP! What can I sew her that isn't clothes? My sister is VERY picky with her littles clothing & wouldn't appreciate handmade clothes. Any ideas?
I've been keeping up on y'alls thread, but haven't posted yet I don't think.
Anyways, what about a diaper changing mat? I've seen really darling ones, sewn out of a full size towel (smaller one) and some fabric. Sew the fabric to one side, fold over the edges of the towel and sew to make some nice seams. Then fold the bottom up about maybe 6 inches and create pockets. (to hold wipes, cream, whatever). Then the whole thing folds up in halfs or thirds. It's so cute.

#363 ·
I'm serial posting this morning, forgive me. I've been lucky enough to take two months off from work (Nov/Dec) and have been crafting like crazy instead. It feels so nice b/c I just have not had much time this year to craft because of my business. But my goal this year was to use what I have to make gifts. I've done really good so well. (I've impressed myself) LOL

Here's what I've made so far:
Puppet doorway theatre- cost-less than $10
Rag quilt for husband (first quilt ever!)- cost-less than $10
Snowmen ornaments made from CD's and lids- Cost-free
Felt/fabric mailboxes -cost- $1.50
Store bought Halloween costumes on mega discount. They were all the wrong sizes, so I had to do some cutting and sewing so they'll fit my kids.
cost-$15 for 4 costumes
Crochet potholders- cost-free

Here's what I still need to make:
Puppets to go with theatre. I'm thinking about doing a couple of story themes. My son is really into the Gingerbread man story right now. Any other suggestions for a good story line?
Fabric postcards
These: http://soyouthinkyourecrafty-tuts.blogspot.com/
(those are for me

White spray painted pine cones made into ornaments. My Mil saw these in a magazine and would like some. They are cute, but spray paint is awful smelling, so I don't want any in my home. But she'll love them and I can always get pine cones for free and only have to buy spray paint, so that's a deal!
I need something for my Maillady, any suggestions?
I also need something for the three garbage men, also need suggestions.

Glad to finally join in. Y'all are doing such a great job and I've loved reading what you are making and giving! Such inspiration!!

#364 ·
Quote:

Finished my MIL crochet hook clutch! Its fabulous!

My sister is about to have a baby girl and I forgot to add her to the list. HELP! What can I sew her that isn't clothes? My sister is VERY picky with her littles clothing & wouldn't appreciate handmade clothes. Any ideas?
Hooded towel?Blanket?Some sort of snuggle?A fabric book?Cloth balls?or blocks?

I was determined to make something last night but I'm sort of at a point where I need stuff for any project that I have left.So I made a fabric bucket for my nephew.I have a felted ball for him but now I think I need to make some fabric balls to go in with it.

#365 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
Surprising the wait/procedure didn't take more then an hour total! So I didn't even p/up the needles! And we did get to see Santa! Hurt to be walking the mall but it was the only time dh could go w us unless we went on the weekend which is not my idea of a good time. There was only 8 kids infront of us
they already emailed the picture and they did a video recording of dc sitting w santa...all for FREE!!!!
Glad it went well!

Quote:

Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
I'm serial posting this morning, forgive me. I've been lucky enough to take two months off from work (Nov/Dec) and have been crafting like crazy instead. It feels so nice b/c I just have not had much time this year to craft because of my business. But my goal this year was to use what I have to make gifts. I've done really good so well. (I've impressed myself) LOL

Here's what I've made so far:
Puppet doorway theatre- cost-less than $10
Rag quilt for husband (first quilt ever!)- cost-less than $10
Snowmen ornaments made from CD's and lids- Cost-free
Felt/fabric mailboxes -cost- $1.50
Store bought Halloween costumes on mega discount. They were all the wrong sizes, so I had to do some cutting and sewing so they'll fit my kids.
cost-$15 for 4 costumes
Crochet potholders- cost-free

Here's what I still need to make:
Puppets to go with theatre. I'm thinking about doing a couple of story themes. My son is really into the Gingerbread man story right now. Any other suggestions for a good story line?
Fabric postcards
These: http://soyouthinkyourecrafty-tuts.blogspot.com/
(those are for me

White spray painted pine cones made into ornaments. My Mil saw these in a magazine and would like some. They are cute, but spray paint is awful smelling, so I don't want any in my home. But she'll love them and I can always get pine cones for free and only have to buy spray paint, so that's a deal!
I need something for my Maillady, any suggestions?
I also need something for the three garbage men, also need suggestions.

Glad to finally join in. Y'all are doing such a great job and I've loved reading what you are making and giving! Such inspiration!!
Really nice!

#366 ·
Quote:

Here's a link to what I'm describing:
http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2009/02...-tutorial.html

Only the one I saw the fabric was on the inside instead of the outside and the pocket had three divisions. But you get the idea.
I really like this! I think my sister would love this too with the right fabric. Ill buy some spose & wipes to throw in. I can even embellish a travel case for the wipes. Something like this http://www.etsy.com/shop/KatiebugBou...ion_id=5710796
Any ideas on how to glue the fabric onto plastic?
I'd love to make her little an adorable cloth diaper & wipes to include but my sis just isn't into cloth.

#367 ·
Quote:

I really like this! I think my sister would love this too with the right fabric. Ill buy some spose & wipes to throw in. I can even embellish a travel case for the wipes. Something like this http://www.etsy.com/shop/KatiebugBou...ion_id=5710796
Any ideas on how to glue the fabric onto plastic?
I'd love to make her little an adorable cloth diaper & wipes to include but my sis just isn't into cloth.
Maybe modge podge would glue the fabric to the plastic?I also saw a pouch made from "oil cloth"for holding wipes.Super cute!

#368 ·
BRR- how about a doubled flannel recieving blanket? I love mine (all 5 of them). All you need are 2 pieces of flannel (mine are huge and great for bfing- so mine are like 45" pieces). Wash to preshrink, then sew them together turn and topstitch with a cute stitch/contrasting thread/whatever. JoAnns has flannel for $1.49 on Friday- but even at the 40-50% price it is a pretty cheap gift.

I am going to do teh memory tile game and the bath paints. Those will be awesme. I finished up DDs mermaid- I want to keep it for myself though. It is so cute! I think I may need to make a couple of fish to go with it though.

I am also going to make my Cousins children some wool slippers- hardwood floors- brrr.

#369 ·
So I went xmas shopping today...$35.00 at dollar-rama! OMG

Ds asked santa for arts/crafts supplies and tools. So I figured I'm getting off easy with the tools(F-I-L is making them) so I should just suck it up and buy him some art supplies(which he is quickly running out of!!)

I got
bucket to hold everything(can never have to much storage!)
3 packs xmas stickers
3D wooden farm stickers
250 decorative paper flowers
120 googly eyes
5 pack sparkles
100 pcs pompoms
96 xmas foam shapes
4 pack glue sticks
10 pack markers
wooden letter/number stamps
TOTAL WAS $12.75...

Then stocking stuffers for ds
border of letters/numbers to go around his play area(like the ones in schools)
high school musical microphone
he's wanted a mike...thats the only one they had
blue feather boa(jealous of all his girl friends who play dress up)
dinosaur magnet paint set
backyardigans alphabet flash cards
caillou soap(god i hate that kid)
backyardigan kelidascope
TOTAL was 6.25
Stocking stuffers for dd(barely anything..but she's one so whatever lol
hair clips
sleeper
socks
TOTAL $4.00

Then a tambourine to go in the music box dh and I are putting together for her..she saw it and her eyes LIT UP!

I got some random things for the house as well..but it seems like I spent so much...is this good or did I totally suck at "buying"

ds is FINISHED...well I'm finished BUYING stuff for him...there's still some making to be done and the rest of dd's gift needs to be bought/a small toy for her stocking?

#371 ·
beansricerevolt- I would just hot glue it (maybe with a low temp one?) When in doubt, I hot glue. LOL

So I had a question for the people on this thread. Reading through it, it sounds to me like you make all the gifts for all the people in your family..and that its a lot of people. And you do it every year. Is this true? How many people would you say you typically make gifts for? I make most, but our list is very small. Sometimes I can't believe you make cousins and extended family stuff! I'm amazed. My list is about 8 people and that includes couples; like grandparents usually get one gift. How do you do it? Do you start crafting mostly in November?Are your gifts always well received? I know a lot people complain that homemade is not well received, but I would guess your families are used to your homemade stuff and like it. And overall, is it more affordable? One last question: do you buy anything not homemade?
Okay, so that was a lot of questions. LOL But I'm just amazed at y'all and was wondering some things.

#372 ·
I make homemade gifts every year. I buy a couple things for each of our littles & dh too. As far as immediate family, its pretty much half & half. For my IL's & my mother, father, sisters, niece & nephew, friends, we make stuff for them as well and have every year for the last few. My side of the family gets handmade gifts only. But for the IL's (MIL, FIL & SIL), we usually buy them something extra. They are VERY into gift giving & one year we did a handmade gift for each of them & I felt like sh*t after. Only because they spent sooo much money on each of us. So now we do the handmade stuff & a little extra something.

Is it well received? For the most part. There are always a few who are NOT happy about their DIY gift. There were always a few who didn't like their bought christmas gifts too. I try really hard to make them something they would use, like, buy themselves.

Cost? I spend very little. I use up supplies that I have bought throughout the year.

#373 ·
I make gifts for almost everyone on my list...and for the most part its gone over great. Last year the in-laws weren't to excited about there gifts..this year my F-I-L can't wait for his socks.

I start sometimes in July. It depends. I usually start whenever I get an idea for something I want to make. Last year it was a sweater for my aunt...found the yarn and went to it. BUT for the most part I buy all my supplies on sale/use what I have. And it doesn't cost that much. This year I got 3 500g balls of yarn for 12.00 and so far I've gotten 3 gifts out of the balls....and I could prob get one more gift. BUT to me they didn't really cost anything b/c I so badly wanted the wool anyways

I do buy for certain people that I know don't like the "homemade" gifts..and thats ok. I'd rather spend my time making for people who appriciate it

#374 ·
I wish I could get started earlier on gifts. But I've learned about myself that I am not inspired, nor motivated to do projects until its time. It does not interest me in July as I wish it would! I like to think about what I'll make and every year I think I'll start well in advance, but I never do. It's like that with all crafting for all occasions. I just can't seem to get excited until I'm right on top of it. Sometimes that makes it stressful though. *sigh*

#375 ·
I have made my family gifts every year since I was old enough to put glue to paper.There have definitely been years where I bought some presents.

This year the only bought presents will be for my daughter and one for my mother.I always make my daughter a present from me but I'm afraid she will recognize my work if I try to make something that is supposed to be from Santa.I wasn't planning to buy anything for my mom but I really wasn't happy with her made present and she REALLY wants a punching bag.So when I found one at half price I ordered it.

I'm not sure how the families really feel about it.My family is too sweet to let on if they hate the handmade.And my husband's family never seems to get too excited either way.

For me it's definitely more affordable.But I have a lot of stuff.I have a lot of stuff that has been given to me for free.I sew things made from sheets and clothes that other people didn't want.Or I made my sister a set of candles from these little green glass cups that a friend was trying to get rid of and some left over candles that I melted down.Free present.

I think there are about 25 people on my list this year.I started in July.My time for making is very limited.So instead of making myself crazy I started really early.

#376 ·
Quote:

I wish I could get started earlier on gifts. But I've learned about myself that I am not inspired, nor motivated to do projects until its time. It does not interest me in July as I wish it would! I like to think about what I'll make and every year I think I'll start well in advance, but I never do. It's like that with all crafting for all occasions. I just can't seem to get excited until I'm right on top of it. Sometimes that makes it stressful though. *sigh*
That is where this thread has helped me.Knowing there were other people out there working on stuff in July helped get me and keep me going.Being able to "report"back on what I had done was very helpful in my motivation.

And I just couldn't accomplish it if I didn't start that early.Too many people on my list.

#377 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rere View Post

For me it's definitely more affordable.But I have a lot of stuff.I have a lot of stuff that has been given to me for free.I sew things made from sheets and clothes that other people didn't want.Or I made my sister a set of candles from these little green glass cups that a friend was trying to get rid of and some left over candles that I melted down.Free present.
Same here. Many of my gifts this year are/will be made from felted sweaters. These were just nice sweaters that were accidentally thrown into the washer and are now fingerless gloves and embellished sweater vests
Check out this sweater vest. Its not mine but im doing this same vest (from Warm Fuzzies) for DS http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2049/...194818002e.jpg

#378 ·
Quote:

same here. Many of my gifts this year are/will be made from felted sweaters. These were just nice sweaters that were accidentally thrown into the washer and are now fingerless gloves and embellished sweater vests
check out this sweater vest. Its not mine but im doing this same vest (from warm fuzzies) for ds http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2049/...194818002e.jpg
cute!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.