Mothering Forum banner

a "what did you eat today" tribe? (come on and join us!!!)

5K views 128 replies 29 participants last post by  durafemina 
#1 ·
DO we have one for TF?

Unless otherwise informed this can be it.

PLease feel free to introduce yourself, your goals and your sensitivities/why you are avoiding certain things and then feel free to post what you and yours are eating day to day!

I'm Sistee, 28, and mama to one dd, partner to one man who I won't bother posting about because he free ranges during the day!

Our goal is to eat more fat and waaaay less carbs. This is hard for me as I am pretty much addicted to them. But I will be trying none the less.

My dd does not have any sensitivities that we have discovered but I am sensitive to raw veggies and carbs.

We have lots of supps here, but don't take them all consistently so that is another goal.

#52 ·
Mmmm--today was really yummy...

Breakfast (we slept in late, so it was more like brunch):
green smoothie (1 cup kale, 1/2 banana, 1/2 hass avocado, 5 frozen strawberries)
2 eggs fried in ghee

Snack/lunch:
rest of the green smoothie

Dinner (serious feast for my sister's b-day):
1 chicken leg/thigh w/ skin on, covered in gravy (chicken drippings mixed w/ a little arrowroot and water, along w/ salt and pepper--it was sooo good) plus some more chicken (my ds's leftovers)
red potatoes and green beans w/ garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil (roasted)
a green salad w/ some veggies, olive oil and vinegar dressing
some cultured veggies (it was SOOO awesome--my mom and I made some together recently--she's decided to start eating them--when we got there there was a bowl of a kimchi style mix right on the table for all of us to snack on pre-supper!!! How cool is that??!!
)

Dessert: pumpkin seed chocolate cake (I modified an elana's pantry recipe using ground pumpkin seeds in place of almond flour)
and vanilla coconut milk ice cream

Woo--was I stuffed!! And I still am. It was a VERY yummy day!!!

ETA: Yesterday was awesome too--we got pastured pork Italian sausage at the farmers market (w/ no additives--totally free of allergens my ds avoids--woo hoo!) We ate 2 of the sausages for lunch w/ peppers and onions (ds and I) and 2 of them for dinner w/ a green salad. They were WAY delicious! (We could.not.stop.eating.them.)

#53 ·
Breakfast: spinach-shiitake-bluecheese omelette in butter
Lunch/Dinner: yesterday's veggie burgers fried with potatoes in ghee, sour cream, a whole avocado

The earlier bedtime has not been working out, to say the least. Maybe I'll just stop trying

#54 ·
Chili Verde sveral times this weekend.

Eggs and potatoes fried in butter for breakfast each day over the weekend.

Forgot supplements on Saturday.

Had beef burritos fried in butter with sour cream and salsa for dinner last night.

Made a pumpkin cheesecake with Splenda for my mom and had a piece.

#56 ·
today- not such a good tf day....

breakfast was leftover oatmeal with blueberries and maple syrup and butter/cream, salt. coffee with cream.

lunch was 2 eggs from our chickens fried in coconut oil with lots of salt and some cheddar. Snack was some milk, and totally normal choc chips walnut cookies made with maple syrup.(which makes it not such a good tf day) another cup of coffee( I make mine in a mokka pot strong) with cream. Also some homemade sun dried tomato bread and leftover turkey meat, lots of salt.

dinner is on the stove stewing now. Red cabbage soup with lots of onions, garlic, caraway, thyme, lemon pepper, coconut vinegar, a bit of maple syrup, canned tomatoes, salt, chicken broth and some other stuff I may be forgetting. I will also add half a turkey keilbasa I have leftover. I may eat a few hardboiled eggs with it as well.

since I am pregnant I usually have a nighttime snack of apples and peanut butter or cheese, but I am out of apples. I also will have my usual pregnancy tea with raw honey.

#57 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
11/22/09

Breakfast

Scrambled eggs with collards, onion & raw cheddar.
Fermented beets, carrots & ginger.
Cup of decaf green tea with raw milk.
1/4 of a pomegranate.

Snack

Big glass of cream with cocoa, stevia & shredded coconut.
Crispy pecans with butter.

Lunch

1 turkey burger with mayo.
1 fermented pickle.
Sauerkraut.
Cup of ginger tea with raw milk.
CLO, FO, K2, D.

Dinner

Big bowl of goat stew. (goat meat, bone broth, onion, leek, garlic, carrots, collards, Celtic salt, garam masala.)
Coconut-banana-pineapple jello. (young coconut meat & coconut water, coconut milk, 1 banana, fresh pineapple, beef gelatin - split 4 ways. )

I haven't had a banana in a long time, nor pineapple - but I wanted something different & this turned out really yummy!
ok, I am totally drooling over that goat stew....

#58 ·
Breakfast: a breakfast sandwich composed of rye bread, an egg fried in ghee, some cow-milk feta, butter, and lettuce.
Lunch: more leftovers, with sour cream and avocado
Snack: mashed roasted pumpkin with butter, maple syrup, and cinnamon
Dinner: cream of spinach soup in bone broth, a hard boiled egg, some non-TF white bread with butter

I actually got to bed by 1 last night! And fell asleep almost immediately
Then I woke up naturally about 8ish. Unfortunately though, I felt very agitated and eye-tired then and after a couple hours laid back down and napped till 1
Now I feel normal again. I can't figure out if I just didn't get enough sleep or my body is just used to sleeping in the morning.

#59 ·
B- 1/2 grapefruit
Bulgur with butter, blueberries, bananas, and maple syrup

Snack- fresh carrot, celery, apple, spinach juice

L- Brown rice and black eyed peas on tortillas, with a side of peas, and a local baby green salad with local bell peppers

Snack- Local apples with raw soaked almond butter and tahini

Dinner- Lentil veggie soup with homemade WW sourdough bread and butter

#60 ·
11/24/09

Breakfast

Goat stew. (goat meat, bone broth, onion, leek, garlic, carrots, collards, Celtic salt, garam masala.)
Sauerkraut.
Cup of decaf green tea with raw milk.
A few crispy cashews.

Lunch

HUGE salad of mixed greens with anchovies, crispy sunflower seeds, 1/2 of an avocado, crispy walnuts & Bragg ginger sesame dressing.
Chocolate-coconut-cream pudding. (cocoa, stevia glycerite, beef gelatin, cream.)
Few spoonfuls of raw cottage cheese with a dab of strawberry fruit spread.

Snack

Cup of ginger tea with raw milk.
1 hard-boiled egg yolk.

Dinner

Steak.
Broccoli, cauliflower & green beans sauteed in coconut oil, topped with raw butter.
Sauerkraut.
Chocolate-coconut-cream pudding. (cream, cocoa, stevia glycerite, beef gelatin, shredded coconut.)
1 date.

#61 ·
I am subbing because I'd love to get some good ideas here... because my family's diet could be much better.

Granted, it could be much worse, too! Tonight we had baked tilapia, fresh steamed green beans, creamed corn and brown basmati rice... lunch was natural peanut butter sandwiches with pineapple fruit spread (NOT jelly - yuck) on sourdough bread, with pretzels and sliced bananas.... but breakfast for the kids was cold cereal (Honey Bunches for DD, Rice Chex for DS) while me and Lil'Man had oatmeal and shared an english muffin with Smart Balance and cinnamon.

There's room for improvement... so I'm gonna be lurking for ideas!!

#62 ·
Breakfast: oatmeal with butter and a bit of maple syrup. Which kept me full for all of one minute
I think I just got definitive proof that I need some good protein to balance out breakfast carbs.
Lunch/Snack: some dried apricots, canned tuna on sourdough rye with olive oil, black pepper, and rucola
Dinner: baltic herring filets (bones stay in) filled with dill from the freezer, sea salt, and pepper and dredged in ww flour, then fried in ghee, boiled potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts with olive oil and sea salt.

#63 ·
Sorry I've been AWOL, I've been sick.
So I really haven't been eating a whole lot.
But my husband made some amazing food last night I had to share. I got some local grass-fed lamb sausage at the farmer's market last week, and my husband cooked it up in some oil and garlic and I swear they were little links of heaven! UGHHH. He served them with broccoli and brussels sprouts. So good.

For lunch yesterday I had yogurt with a bit of honey and a mug of bone broth.

Breakfast was bacon and throat coat tea (my favorite even when I'm not sick).

Feeling better today, so hopefully I'll be up to par for the big round of festivities this weekend.

#64 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post
Breakfast: oatmeal with butter and a bit of maple syrup. Which kept me full for all of one minute
I think I just got definitive proof that I need some good protein to balance out breakfast carbs.
Lunch/Snack: some dried apricots, canned tuna on sourdough rye with olive oil, black pepper, and rucola
Dinner: baltic herring filets (bones stay in) filled with dill from the freezer, sea salt, and pepper and dredged in ww flour, then fried in ghee, boiled potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts with olive oil and sea salt.
This all sounds so good.

I know what you mean about oatmeal in the morning. If I do I have to have some meat or a 1/2 cup of beans. Or even almond butter mixed in with oats is really good.

#65 ·
Sorry I haven't been updating much, been offline a lot the past few days.

Today I had buttered pumpkin for breakfast, dd had oatmeal with cream and butter.

Last night, tilapia fried in butter with butternut squash mixed with cream, butter, peas and salt and pepper.

For lunch yesterday we had a baked potato that we split with butter, sour cream, broccoli, cheese, green onions, salsa and bacon.

Breakfast yesterday was eggs with ham, bacon, avocado and fried in butter, topped with salsa.

I need to start fermenting my own salsa.

We did our supps each day.

#66 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
This all sounds so good.

I know what you mean about oatmeal in the morning. If I do I have to have some meat or a 1/2 cup of beans. Or even almond butter mixed in with oats is really good.
Ohhh I wish I could get fresh almond butter here... I can get it in a jar but it's exorbitantly priced and after fresh ground I just can't go back.
We actually didn't have the herring after all as the kitchen was a mess and I got lazy - will have to make it tomorrow. Instead we had some delicious fresh local pastured lamb sausage and the rest of the rucola with olive oil.
I think almost everything posted here sounds so good! That's the joy of the TF board: reading about real food with creative ingredients!

#67 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post
Ohhh I wish I could get fresh almond butter here... I can get it in a jar but it's exorbitantly priced and after fresh ground I just can't go back.
Can you go on ebay? I got bulk really raw low spray almonds for $3 lb and free shipping. I just had to buy 20 lbs at once.
I soaked, dried and then ground them. So yummy!!

#68 ·
Quote:

Can you go on ebay? I got bulk really raw low spray almonds for $3 lb and free shipping. I just had to buy 20 lbs at once.
Oh wow, that's great! I don't know I'll have to check. I wonder about the shipping though - I live so far away from anywhere that it probably wouldn't be free for me.

Today's meals

Breakfast/Lunch: Sour rye with butter, a cup of beef bone broth, some sauerkraut
Dinner: the herring, potatoes and brussels sprouts I meant to make yesterday

#69 ·
Oooh, glad to see this thread up!

Yesterday I got a chance to work on grain-free versions of some thanksgiving favorites and made a really yummy cauliflower & sausage stuffing to go with the turkey, and a green bean casserole from scratch with bacon and onions (though I did have to use some rice flour to thicken the gravy...). Really, really good, and I didn't even wind up in a carb coma.

Today was leftovers for breakfast and we're planning to make turkey/bacon/brie/cranberry sandwiches (mine will be on coconut flour english muffins) for lunch/dinner. (I don't think we could possibly have room for both, lol).

#70 ·
yay! love what-you-ate threads - I'll play

yesterday:

spatone (natural iron supp) in glass of water

b - 3 brazil nuts
2 dried apricots
apple

l - small bowl eggplant, kale & chickpea curry with tomato
hummus
whole grain salba bun

snacks - homeade slab with rolled oats, coconut flour, eggs, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, dried apricot, dates, coconut, lots of butter & a little organic unrefined sugar
-chicory coffee sub with splash of raw milk
- cup of raw yoghurt with frozen blueberries and sprinkle of crumbs from the oat slab!

dinner - breaded pork schnitzel, braised cabbage & carrot with onion (delicious!), spiced potato wedges tossed in olive oil & roasted

today:

iron supp in water

b - 3 eggs, over easy with sea salt & cracked pepper
apple
2 cups nettle tea

snack/lunch - several pieces of oat slab baked yesterday
handful durian fruit 'chips'
piece of dried tamarind fruit
1/2 cup raw whole yoghurt
3 brazil nuts

d - chickpea, kale & eggplant curry with spicy tuna

#71 ·
Yesterday

Breakfast: a fried egg in butter, a couple dried apricots, sour rye with butter

Lunch: not telling
let's just say it was school cafeteria food and not TF in the slightest.

Snack: sour rye with butter, sauerkraut, an apple

Dinner: karelian stew - so satisfying!

Today

Breakfast: paneer and apples sauteed in ghee with a spoonful of honey and cardamom

Lunch:a mcdonald's cheeseburger
we were out and hungry and DP got one and so I had to have one too...

Snacks: an apple, a few bites of cold stew, piece of rye bread, rest of paneer

Dinner: making pea soup with a smoked ham hock, will have it with mustard and sour rye bread and butter

#72 ·
Here is from yesterday:
B- apples, roqufort(sp?) raw sheep cheese (yummm), sourdough toast covered with kerry gold butter

L- brown rice, black eyed peas, on warmed masa corn tortillas, steamed dandelion greens on the side. Kerry gold cheese only for dd.

D- steamed carrots and peas, black beans and rice with LF pickle on the side

No supplements yesterday but loads of nettles, etc herb infusion. I have increased the nettles and plantain for more calcium.

We are increasing more butter lately and cutting out meat for my 2 yr old. More grains for her instead.
I also have the goal to have a big bowl of steamed and raw greens everyday.

I have alot planned for future meals. (I woke up early and had alot of time on my hands)
I have wheat soaking for a lacto fermented wheat beverage called rejuvalac, wheat sprouting for a manna type porriage,
mung beans semi sprouting before cooking,
beet greens chopped ready in the steamer,
amaranth cooking in the double boiler,
nettles steeping,
sourdough bread rising,
carrots and celery chopped for juicing,
bulgur soaking for breakfast tomorrow

What do ya'll have planned before eating?

#73 ·
Quote:

Since the almond pasteurization requirement was passed last year (two years ago?) all "raw" almonds here are actually pasteurized. If they're conventional, they're chemically pasteurized with a chemical shown to be carcinogenic in humans. If they're organic "raw", they're heat pasteurized.

I haven't seen any follow up that changes these requirements...

#74 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Since the almond pasteurization requirement was passed last year (two years ago?) all "raw" almonds here are actually pasteurized. If they're conventional, they're chemically pasteurized with a chemical shown to be carcinogenic in humans. If they're organic "raw", they're heat pasteurized.

I haven't seen any follow up that changes these requirements...
I am totally aware about these changes. Yes they have to be pasturized, but it is like raw milk, you can get it from the farm and it can still be raw. The person that listed their almonds on ebay is the almond grower and they are really raw, no heat or chemicals at all. That is why I was sharing because it is a good deal for really raw almonds. And when I contacted the grower, he said that he only used sprays when the blossoms were out, so I would consider that lower spray. Way more afordable than certified org almonds in the store that are $15 lb and not really raw anyway.

#75 ·
will add as I eat

b - nettle tea
- smoothie: handful kale, 3/4 banana, handful of blueberries, raw yoghurt, flax seed oil

bluebirdmama - I thought you didn't have to soak bulgar?

#76 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by durafemina View Post
will add as I eat

bluebirdmama - I thought you didn't have to soak bulgar?
You don't if the companies that make bulgar do it the traditional way. I doubt they do, and bet they make it as fast as possible. It is like couscous, it was a tradtional food, and would be great for you, since it was presoaked, but if you are a large scale company, it is probably going to be made fast and then not TF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.