Mothering Forum banner

Best in-home exercise recommendations...

2K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  ctdoula 
#1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations for in-home exercise videos/games, etc. Dh has mentioned getting a Wii, but I no nothing about it, and have no idea what to get/how it works. I desperately need to exercise/lose weight. I doubt joining a gym is going to happen right now (financially) and it's winter in New England, thus walking outside isn't probably going to happen very often for the next couple of months.

So, tell me all about the Wii. Is it a good option? What games/programs do you recommend? What about DVDs?

Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I love Turbo Jam--used to work out to that before I had kids. It's mainly cardio though (there's one strength-training/weights workout).

I'm going to start Chalean Extreme on Tuesday as I really want a strength training workout.

#4 ·
I've never loved working out at home, but lately have been trying to do it here and there on days when I just can't get to the gym, or the pool, or out for a run. I've actually really been enjoying this workout which is avaiable for instant viewing on Netflix. I'm thinking about investing in a few DVDs but am trying to find something I like before I plunk down the $$.

#5 ·
I make up my own kickboxing routines in the living room and do them while watching TV. We also have an elliptical and I like to run the stairs in short bursts. DD and I dance too.

The Wii is, I suspect, like doing a video but with more accessories. If you're not one for exercise videos, which I am not, then it may not be a good fit. I would be interested to hear from Wii owners though too.

That being said, I just ordered a TTapp dvd.

V

#6 ·
I have a pull up bar that is tension set in the door. A couple times a week I do a little circuit at home for about 20 minutes and it's a GOOD hard workout!

Pullups to failure, directly followed by pushups to failure (or 40 for me, but I've been workin out a while....), then abs for 2 minutes, then up and do jump squats, maybe 20 reps. FOr the abs I do bicycle crunches for 1 min, then twists with a core ball. Rest 60 - 90 seconds and do it again. I probably do it for 4 sets

#7 ·
I am anti-wii. I mean really, for the cost of a wii and all the fitness stuff you would have spent enough for 6 months of a YMCA membership, or pretty close to it, right? There are plenty of good things you can do at home.

There's the Prison Workout, which requires absolutely no equipment at all. There are a bajillion dvd's and podcasts and stuff like that - I have had really good luck with yoga podcasts, you can find anything from super gentle, rehabilitative yoga to very intense "power" yoga.

What are you interested in doing? I think those "Walk Away the Pounds" dvd's are supposed to be pretty good, or if you have a little room, you can get a jump rope and do that for a little bit.

Good luck to you!

#8 ·
If you're looking to spend very little money, the best tools you can get are a ball (Make sure to get one that is appropriately sized for your height) and a set of resistance bands. Throw in a step and you've got a tool for cardio as well as a make shift weight bench.

#9 ·
Oh yeah. I have a step too I use off and on. It actually came with a good dvd for a 20 min workout. Sometimes I 'march' on and off the step for workouts that aren't panning out for me choreography wise (or I'm bored/uninspired with exercise) and I need to burn more time.

V

#10 ·
We have wii Active, but unfortunately it doesn't do much good just sitting in the case.
I've done it a few times, and it kicked my butt to the point I don't even want to attempt it again. I need to, though.

For something low key, what about a recumbent bike? I try to use it while watching TV... though I haven't for a while.

#11 ·
I need a wide variety of work outs to keep me motivated and on track. I have Wii Fit and Wii Biggest Loser. I also rent various work out videos from the library, like Jillian Michaels, Tae Bo, and Leslie Sanson Walk Away The Pounds. She must have like, 30 different videos out, and they are fantastic.

#12 ·
I love to ratate my dvds, right now my favorites are T-tapp, Tracy Anderson Mat workout, Ellen Barrett Fat Loss Fusion, etc. I prefer low impact(no jumps, which put strain on the joints)cardio and low weights/no weights toning exercises, that create small long muscles.
Dependable of what style of exercise you like, there are tons of dvds available. Also not all people like overly enthusiastic instructors or very quite ones(for me Leslie Samsone is way too chatty), even if they like the workout itself. Read the reviews, visit video fitness forum(you can also trade your dvds there with others.), watch little clips on amazon before you decide.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by danieliausmama View Post
I love to ratate my dvds, right now my favorites are T-tapp, Tracy Anderson Mat workout, Ellen Barrett Fat Loss Fusion, etc. I prefer low impact(no jumps, which put strain on the joints)cardio and low weights/no weights toning exercises, that create small long muscles.
Dependable of what style of exercise you like, there are tons of dvds available. Also not all people like overly enthusiastic instructors or very quite ones(for me Leslie Samsone is way too chatty), even if they like the workout itself. Read the reviews, visit video fitness forum(you can also trade your dvds there with others.), watch little clips on amazon before you decide.
Hey, what is T-Tapp like? I'm waiting for my first dvd and would be interested to hear from someone who has done it.

V

#15 ·
T-tapp is an interesting wokout. Basically rehalibitation type, so the form is very important- I do it in front of the mirror, so I can see, if my allignment is right. It seems to work well, but it doesn't have any music, and not as much fun, so I wouldn't use it as the only workout for very long.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctdoula View Post
I'm looking for recommendations for in-home exercise videos/games, etc. Dh has mentioned getting a Wii, but I no nothing about it, and have no idea what to get/how it works. I desperately need to exercise/lose weight. I doubt joining a gym is going to happen right now (financially) and it's winter in New England, thus walking outside isn't probably going to happen very often for the next couple of months.

So, tell me all about the Wii. Is it a good option? What games/programs do you recommend? What about DVDs?

Thanks!!

Come join those of us who started Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred! It's a only $10 DVD. I am normally someone who HATES to exercise, but so far I am hanging in there. I have a wii and wii fit, but the problem is that it is broken up, b/c you chose different activities to do. With the dvd, I don't have to think, just stick it in, put on my shoes and choose the level. I've started the wii fit two times already and just haven't been able to keep up with it, and I don't think that I pushed myself hard enough, not as hard as the dvd pushes me to.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
I love Turbo Jam--used to work out to that before I had kids. It's mainly cardio though (there's one strength-training/weights workout).

I'm going to start Chalean Extreme on Tuesday as I really want a strength training workout.
Yep!
Anything Beachbody is pretty awesome!

#19 ·
I LOVE turbo jam! I also dig Jillian Michaels and, on lighter days, the Biggest Loser workouts.
One-On-One with Jackie is great too!

The Firm videos are great too if you are short on time. Toning with cardio is super effective for weight-loss.

#20 ·
i just started the 30 Day Shred three days ago, and i am really enjoying it! this is the first exercise dvd i've ever done, and i find it both easy enough to follow and challenging enough to get a good workout! i think i would recommend any Jillian Michaels, i know my next dvd after this one will be another jillian.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
I am in love with anything by Jillian Michaels. She's kicking my butt, but it still feels good.
She's tough, but not obnoxiously perky and she's honest. She doesn't promise that you'll lost 20 lbs by doing three simple moves three times a week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.