Mothering Forum banner

half or full day kindy?

2K views 43 replies 37 participants last post by  momtoS 
#1 ·
DS1 starts public kindy in fall and we need to decide soon if we want him to go full day or half day. I was originally leaning toward half day because DS still has some potty issues to work through but all the moms look at me like I'm nuts for not doing full day!

I was hoping to get some feedback on what you put your LO in and how it worked for you.

TIA!

#3 ·
All of mine went to or are in full day. My 5 yr old who is emotionally young for his age loves it, but then again he is with a really nice teacher. I still resent him coming home with work, but she understands if we do not do it.

#4 ·
Full-day is all that is offered here (9-4), so that's what we did last year. DS did really well with it - even after being home with me for the previous 8 mos. He gave up napping at age 2, and loves to be around other kids and learn - so I think that is part of why it worked out for us.

I really think it depends on the kid. I wonder if you could do full day and see how it goes and then switch to half-day if it was too much?

#7 ·
When Djuna started school (pre-kindergarten) there was no choice - full day or nothing! That said her teachers (she had one in the morn and a different one in the aft) were actually very cool, and suggested (since she had never been to daycare or preschool or anything) that we ease into it by starting with half-days and then have her gradually stay later and later. This worked well for us/her. And full-day was totally fine, but I think it helped a lot that we built up to it.

#9 ·
We did full day, but it's a montessori school and the Children's House is full day (meaning he went full day last year as a preschooler too)...it's also 5 days a week. At first, I thought it was a long day but he actually does a LOT better in full day than half day. With half day (or the days his school does half days due to inservices), he actually has a rough day because there's not enough time for him to settle in. With full days, he has time to settle in, really get to work, and then also have time for recess (as well as library, art, spanish, and PE).

#10 ·
we are looking at half day at the waldorf school. financially we can't afford full day (can't afford half day if we can't get financial aide, but we'll cross that bridge then), and i think it would be too long for dd for her first year...
that's just her though, some kids are really ready for full days at 4/5 years old..

on a side note, i moved this over here as i think you will get more responses...

good luck!

#12 ·
My son is in All Day Kindy (thats all that is offered in the District he is in). He loves it! He is a little immature but the teacher has been great and very understanding. I can see a huge difference in him since August when he started. This is exactly what he needed!

#13 ·
Half days are still the only option in our district, which just frosts me. My kids were entirely ready for full day, and they try to cram a full day curriculum into what amounts to about two and a half hours. My kindergartners had homework most nights and it was very academic.

#14 ·
I ended up being a full day fan... My gut says 1/2 day and my true feeling are that most kindergarden programs now a days are filled with way too much I don't rally care if my 6 year old is reading 4th grade level chapter books by the end of the year or can solve basic algebra problems but its suddenly become this school bragging right that they "can".. And often these things are stressed and pushed and those "other' activities such as art music PE reccess ect are shoved aside or flat out cut out especially with the 1/2 day programs..
Full day kinder in my DD program wasn't that much longer than the school that did 1/2 day half day was from 8am to 12:30pm the program had a 20 minute lunch recess break and that was it, no art music and PE met jsut twice a month.. The kids that went to 1/2 day brought more massive amounts of homework because the program still crammed in the circulum of the full day program

My DD school went from 8am to 2pm she had 2 scheduled reccess periods a day (20mintues each) plus a 30 minute lunch daily PE once a week rotating specials for art music ect and they are also incorporated into the classroom activities. Homework was limited to reading and maybe another 10-15 minutes per week of "assignments"..
Shes is now in first grade the day is pretty much the same as last year except they go till 2:30pm and she averages around 30 mintues a week in written HW assignments.

Deanna

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by crl View Post
I wish we had been able to choose! I would have gone with 1/2 day. I just think a full day of school is awfully long for little kids.

Catherine
This!!! My first 2 kids went to 1/2 day but my dd will not have a choice. I think she'll be fine but I really wish there were a 1/2 day option.

I don't feel they do any more actual learning in whole day. With breaks, snacks, recess, naps, etc...I don't think they're learning more.

#16 ·
My dc did full days, but they were split between a half-day private Montessori in the morning and a half-day public kindergarten in the afternoon. They had been in half-day Montessori for 2 years at that point and really enjoying it. When they were kindergarten age, I wasn't going to bother enrolling them, but they both asked if they could go. They had friends who would be attending. I decided to let them try it, since they wanted to do it. Other than working out the organizational kinks (getting them back and forth between the schools), it worked out well.

At the time, we were a 2 career family, so we would also have considered full time daycare. I honestly don't see much difference between daycare and kindy (I know some people do), so full day schooling wasn't a leap for us.

I don't think it's unusual to consider half-days, if that's an option. What about other issues for your family, aside from toileting? Do you think your child will enjoy full days? How large are the classes, what is the kindy environment like, what are the teachers like etc. - it can make a big difference if he only has to spend a couple of hours vs. a full day in a less than ideal place. According to your sig., you'll have a new baby by then. If your oldest occupies a lot of your attention and energy, it may be nice if someone else can provide some of that for him. Lots of factors to consider. Good luck with the decision.

#17 ·
Quote:
I don't feel they do any more actual learning in whole day. With breaks, snacks, recess, naps, etc...I don't think they're learning more.
No naps around here but I do agree the issue I had between the two was the 1/2 day program was 4 hours a day with zero break other than luch served at the end. No recess and all programs such as art music ect were totally cut they spent 4 hours at a desk doing desk work
then they were comming home with literly hours worth of homework...
The full day (6 hours) meant incorporating breaks activites other than strictly desk work or math and reading and once school was over we pretty much had the rest of the day for family stuff...
The 1/2 day kinders around HERE are totally burned out..
I went to 1/2 day kindy back in my days it was totally diffrent and I wish that was still avaiable... sadly around HERE it is not.

Deanna

#18 ·
Just depends on the child.

I had DD in short preschool--2.5 hours, 3 x week, and she was bored. Now she is in a new school, 9-4 4 days a week and she loves it. She takes a nap there, but there is a lot of activity. She likes to do projects, she likes having the extra time to play outside with the kids. Next year will be kindy, 9-2:30, no nap, and I'm not sure how much time they spend outside. Orientation is next month.

I think if your child has never been in preschool or any kind of daycare, full day kindergarten can feel like a big leap for mom and child. If they have been, then half day feels like not enough! They're little creatures of habit!

#19 ·
Depends on the kid and on the school. We are a two career family so we are thrilled with full day. But, as many have noted, there are real advantages to it as well. My brother moved to a very swanky school district and his daugther had a miserable year in half day KG. They actually pulled her. A big part of the problem was there were basically no breaks. Also, no real time to get to know the other kids or have fun.

#21 ·
Depends on the child. Our ds would have done best in 1/2 day. Our dd needs a full day.

If you are comfortable with him being half day, I think it's a more gentle transition to school if you do 1/2 days.

#23 ·
I chose half-day for my ds (we had the option vs. full day). He got plenty of "school" stuff and only missed lunch, rest, recess and I"m not sure what else.

They are only little once and they grow so fast and will be gone so soon. (I get teary thinking my dd1 is only going to be home for two more years before going to college!)

I got those same "looks" when I didn't send dd2 to preschool for three years. I wasn't even sure she would go to school this year but I did send her. She is at the local Conservatory three mornings and she turned 5 this past November.

Go with your gut -- 1/2 day -- and enjoy this added, special time with him!

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
I vote 1/2 day, I think children need to get adjusted to the idea of going to school gradually.
Yea totally depends on the area.. I sooo agree in theory but the 1/2 day programs around here are sooo darn busy and intense the kids just end up with massive burn out sooo fast. Of course then the city goes around reporting how much the wee ones love the "full day" in comparsion which is umm true but thats because they try to force 7 hours into 3.5 including making the parents into big meanies by asigning hours of HW.
I'm glad my DD thrived in her "full day" program but I still think a TRUE 1/2 day program is better KWIM?

Deanna

#25 ·
There are 3 things to take into account: the child's personality, the ways the schools are run, and family dynamic.

First your child:
  • Is he social or introverted?
  • Does he need a lot of stimulation or more quiet time?
  • Does he get worn out quickly or is he a ball of energy?
  • Is he a close to mom guy, or an adventurer?
Then the school set up:
  • What are the days like?
  • Do the half day kids go to the same class, but leave early or is it a separate class?
  • Do the full day kids get more of the fun "extras" like arts and recess, or do they just get more academics?
Finally there is family dynamic:
  • Is there stuff (museums parks) you would like to do when he gets out of school?
  • Are you good at doing play dates, or is school time his best opportunity to socialize?
  • Do you need the extra time to get more done, so that when he is home you can be more focused on him?

#26 ·
I think its all about the child's personality, whether as a family you are able to have your kid in only half day, and what you all want for your kids, ie what values you see as important. If after all that you're back and forth on it, I would suggest half day to start, you can see how your kid does then up to full day if you feel its a better fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.