Mothering Forum banner

Weekly chat thread Jan 18- Jan 24

4K views 106 replies 31 participants last post by  jul511riv 
#1 ·
Another week!

#77 ·
36 weeks... which means I'm officially eligible for homebirth! Not that I want to have the baby right this second... but it sure is a nice feeling to know that if I happen to go into labor tomorrow I can stay at home.

I started taking about 6,000 IU of vitamin D3 every day about a week ago (my levels are REALLY low)... and I'm just starting to feel a huge difference in my energy level. It's kind of amazing.

Nothing else super exciting to update about; aside from horrible sciatica pain and my hips breaking in half everything is "normal". Just kind of sitting around waiting now.

#78 ·
38 weeks tomorrow. Just a little freaking out. We moved pretty easily for how much I left undone. The men and women from our church knocked everything out pretty quickly last Saturday.

Rodeomama, stress totally brings on the contractions for me too. BH or otherwise these are pretty strong.
All day Saturday I was contracting super strongly if I got going to much or too fast and it wasn't a day I wanted to give birth. The night before we thought I was leaking Amniotic fluid, it was just a tiny bit and it stopped once I ate dinner and put my feet up. But it was pretty nerve wracking. I had a friend come over for moral support and she was awesome about asking how I was doing and playing with my kid. She is about 18 weeks herself.
Now for the unpacking... hahaha, it feels like that is getting in the way of nesting.

Although! I found a woman who's son is 4 months old and she gave me her newborn-3 months clothes and said that I should call her in another 3 months for another batch of clothes. Awesome. Plus all the stuff she has is nice. Woo hoo. Talk about cutting out work.

I am not getting a lot of un-packing done because of hips and pubic pain.
lol, I choose boxes!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlyR View Post
I have had my husband practicing diapering a stuffed animal lately. I have also tried out my sling and moby with the same stuffed animal

Haha, our DD is making sure that we have practice. She brings us diapers and stuffed animals all day long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
ANyone else getting nervous that their baby is totally tiny!? All of these ladies are having 8 lb babys like two-three weeks early!!! My baby is only measuring about 6 lbs 4 oz at 37 weeks!! Is there something I am doing wrong???
I wouldn't worry about the weight per ultrasound. The one that cracked me up was my DD was over 10lbs according to the ultrasound but she came out 7#9oz.

Maybe I have said it before maybe I didn't, but I really like ya'll and hearing about your experiences.

Good luck and good wishes.

#79 ·
quick question re: GBS swab.

I see in some other posts (on this board and elsewhere) that MW/OBs do this test for you and since they are there already many people end up getting an internal too. I thought they told me at my last appointment that I swab myself? Could I be mistaken?

Has anyone done it this way? My MW don't don't do internals (I guess they might if you ask, but I'm not interested so I haven't asked) and said I won't have any "pants off" appointments until 40+ weeks when they kind of want to check in with my body to see what (if anything) is going on. So I am pretty sure I swab myself if they told me they won't be doing anything internally....

#80 ·
OlyR - I recall someone else in this DDC who did their own swab, but I can't remember who now.
I'm pretty sure it's normal for some midwives to have their patients do it themselves.

I do all of my own testing and weight for my midwife (besides blood draw, obviously), but since I declined the GBS test I'm not sure if that's one I would have done myself or not. I highly doubt she would have done a cervix check if I had agreed to the test.

#81 ·
Quote:

quick question re: GBS swab.

I see in some other posts (on this board and elsewhere) that MW/OBs do this test for you and since they are there already many people end up getting an internal too. I thought they told me at my last appointment that I swab myself? Could I be mistaken?

Has anyone done it this way? My MW don't don't do internals (I guess they might if you ask, but I'm not interested so I haven't asked) and said I won't have any "pants off" appointments until 40+ weeks when they kind of want to check in with my body to see what (if anything) is going on. So I am pretty sure I swab myself if they told me they won't be doing anything internally....

Yep, I did it myself. My midwives are VERY DIY. I test my own urine every appointment, weigh myself (with no one watching), etc and they don't do any internals unless you request them. The swabbing is easy - you just have to insert it into your vagina about 1 inch, drag it across your perineum, and then insert it into your anus about 1 inch, and then put the swab back in its little handy dandy plastic case. Easy peasy. I figure it's easier to do it myself than have someone else shoving something up my rear!

#82 ·
I like that they'll let you do the GBS swab yourself! I declined the test w/my midwife births, but I'm pretty sure a nurse swabbed me 9 years ago w/my OB birth.

Which reminds me...

***Public Service Announcement: Keep your panties on at the doc's office!***
Dilation/effacement can be fun to know, but not necessary and not always helpful! You can be dilated/effaced for weeks before giving birth.

You do not HAVE to consent to a vaginal exam. But if you do, you might want to announce that you do not consent to having your membranes stripped (unless you do!). Especially with OBs, it's not uncommon for them to decide to strip your membranes 'since we're in there anyway' and then tell you about it afterward like they just did you a favor!

----

About me! -- My husband is going away for the weekend. So that's something to be thankful for. I need some MOMMY time, where *I* am the boss of myself and my kids -- ME, BY MYSELF. (We will have bedtimes! And healthy foods! And no tv! Wheeee!) Plus it'll be three lovely days without a dramatic spat about whether or not I am "crazy" for not wanting to vax our preemie yet. And by "yet", I simply mean before my husband has read ANY kind of literature on the subject! (How is that not reasonable?!) But I digress... Yay, weekend!

#83 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aramat View Post
I like that they'll let you do the GBS swab yourself! I declined the test w/my midwife births, but I'm pretty sure a nurse swabbed me 9 years ago w/my OB birth.

Which reminds me...

Dilation/effacement can be fun to know, but not necessary and not always helpful! You can be dilated/effaced for weeks before giving birth.

You do not HAVE to consent to a vaginal exam. But if you do, you might want to announce that you do not consent to having your membranes stripped (unless you do!). Especially with OBs, it's not uncommon for them to decide to strip your membranes 'since we're in there anyway' and then tell you about it afterward like they just did you a favor!

----

About me! -- My husband is going away for the weekend. So that's something to be thankful for. I need some MOMMY time, where *I* am the boss of myself and my kids -- ME, BY MYSELF. (We will have bedtimes! And healthy foods! And no tv! Wheeee!) Plus it'll be three lovely days without a dramatic spat about whether or not I am "crazy" for not wanting to vax our preemie yet. And by "yet", I simply mean before my husband has read ANY kind of literature on the subject! (How is that not reasonable?!) But I digress... Yay, weekend!
Have a fun by yourself weekend

So I posted on another thread that I just went potty and felt baby slide into home
She's moved directly center instead of off to my right side like she is prone to do. Maybe this will get things flowing!!

Here's a funny story to pass the time:

So this morning ODS (he's 3.5 yrs) is sitting on my lap just chattering away and he asked me "Mommy when is Tristyn coming out of your belly?" So I told him "Maybe soon or maybe a little longer, we have to see when she is ready." He accepted that answer and then started looking me up and down and said "Mommy how will Tristyn come out?" So I decided to be diplomatic and tell him "You know how mommy's pee pee (his word for it) is different from yours? That's where Tristyn will come out of mommy's belly." He said "Oh that makes sense. I have a pointy penis like daddy and bubba (my YDS) and you have a line penis, like Lily (my 2yo niece who stays with us often.)"

Ahh from the mouths of babes.

#84 ·
My OB does the swab. They don't necessarily check you that appointment, but I asked him to because I wanted to know. He'll only strip your membranes if you ask, after 38 weeks...

#85 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
So this morning ODS (he's 3.5 yrs) is sitting on my lap just chattering away and he asked me "Mommy when is Tristyn coming out of your belly?" So I told him "Maybe soon or maybe a little longer, we have to see when she is ready." He accepted that answer and then started looking me up and down and said "Mommy how will Tristyn come out?" So I decided to be diplomatic and tell him "You know how mommy's pee pee (his word for it) is different from yours? That's where Tristyn will come out of mommy's belly." He said "Oh that makes sense. I have a pointy penis like daddy and bubba (my YDS) and you have a line penis, like Lily (my 2yo niece who stays with us often.)"

Ahh from the mouths of babes.
Line penis!!!! I love it!

Tamara, glad you are looking forward to your weekend! Sometimes you just need some SPACE! And a total lack of bickering. I could use a dose of that myself.

Ugh, I'm sorry you're having to deal with the vaccination issue already. How incredibly frustrating.

#86 ·
Is everyone else having a weird formatting thing happen today when they come on MDC? I read some post in the questions and suggestions that the person had to turn off the blue and tan format to fix something. All I know is that everything is smaller and squished to the middle, plus there are a ton more ads- which I see even when in a thread, and things move slower! Annoying! Are you all dealing with this too?

#87 ·
Quote:

Which reminds me...

----

Aramat:
1. Thank you for your public service announcement. I TOTALLY agree.
2. I also did my own GBS swab with my first. I've declined it ever since because I did test positive the first time around and declined the IV antibiotics and it was like the attack of every doctor and nurse on the ward when I was in the hospital. I learned that I will never NEVER take that test again. I think it was Midwifery Today (but I could be wrong) that had an article in their archives about it. Basically almost the same amount of mothers die from the IV antibiotics as babies die from the GBS....and both are pretty damn low unless the mother presents with a liteneny of risk factors, many of which can only be determined during the time of the birth (bag of waters "broken" for more than 48-72 hours with no birth, fever in labor, etc...) as it turned out, dd was born in the bag of waters and so no one even CARED about GBS because there was no risk to her whatsoever. But I went through lots of scaremongering and agony because of taking that one test.
Also, I've been told time and time again that having a mother swab her anus or perineum is ridiculous because she doesn't birth from her anus...even if it feels like it.
The ONLY issue of concern is whether or not she is "colonized" in her vaginal canal, and even then, if she WERE "conlonized" even a week or two prior to the birth, it doesn't mean that she would be during the birth.

I've also read all about tricking the test...and alternatives to "treating" it (inserting garlic into the vagina to get rid of infection, etc...) and it just seems totally ridiculous to me, espically since a good segment of the population has this at one time or another and the majority of the population is thought to harbor this in their digestive tract at one time or the other.

Also, here in Israel, they found that they weren't saving enough babies compared to the amount of mothers they were loosing by having reactions to the iv antibiotics (even a woman with no prior history of reaction to antibiotics can have a reaction during labor/delivery because the immune system is just totally different during this time, or could possibly be allergic to the antibiotic used...or could be given the wrong dosage or medication in the IV, etc...) and so they totally stopped testing for GBS, unless a woman specifically requests it, or she has tested positive in a prior pregnancy. Because I refuse everything and birth at home, this is a non issue for me. But it was a major hot button issue for me for many years.

3. Back to Tamara, I'm really really REALLY sorry that you are dealing with the vax issue. Have you been to www.beyondvaccination.com? Might be a helpful resource for you. I'm glad your husband is hightailing it on outta there for the weekend. I think that is a wonderful idea and hopefully each of you can get the clarity you both need to move forward with the situation in a healthy and productive way. I know it's not what you wanted, dreamed about or hoped for...but it sounds like you are playing the hand you have been dealt with style and grace and lots of smarts and good intuition. You are going to be Just. Fine. xoxo (((hugs)))

#88 ·
Tamara, hope you have a good weekend. You totally deserve it.

ObliviousAnnette, glad you got your move behind you! Our house is on the market, but I don't think there is any way we'll sell before the baby is born.

I'm all happy with an internet purchase I just made.
Old Navy has nursing tank-tops that don't have a built-in shelf bra (those built-in ones totally don't work for me), so three days ago I logged in and put a couple in my shopping cart, but then walked away and didn't complete the purchase, on purpose, hoping they'd send me a discount code as an incentive since they know I want something. Then today they did!
So I got my tanks and saved an extra 20% for playing games and being patient.

#89 ·
For you CDing mamas - I need some advice!

My DH is not on board with CDing, so we'll be using disposables for our newborn. I'll already be the only source of food, and I don't want to be the only one doing diapers as well (he does not want to change any clothe diapers). Once he goes back to work, I will still be home with baby, working full time as a contractor for my current company. Since I'll be the one diapering during the work day, I though part-time cding might be nice.

Can you recommend what I'd need for part-time cding a 1 mo+ - preferably the easiest to wash/maintain and with the least start-up cost?

---

Re: internal exams. My OB doesn't normally do them at the 36w when she takes the GBS swab, but she did for me as I was having cramps all day. Turned out to be wicked diarrhea on the way. Fun!

#91 ·

My DH is not on board with CDing, so we'll be using disposables for our newborn. I'll already be the only source of food, and I don't want to be the only one doing diapers as well (he does not want to change any clothe diapers). Once he goes back to work, I will still be home with baby, working full time as a contractor for my current company. Since I'll be the one diapering during the work day, I though part-time cding might be nice.

Can you recommend what I'd need for part-time cding a 1 mo+ - preferably the easiest to wash/maintain and with the least start-up cost?

QUOTE]

I def think that prefolds can be the cheapest, but do require a bit more "work" than all in ones or pocket diapers. Greenmountain diapers is my go to for prefolds (we are using these right now). They also give a lot of good advice about how many you need, etc. We are using only 6 preemie ones right now and 4 covers because at night we actually have a good bit of sposies that were given to us as gifts. My thought is that they are already purchased and will be used anyway, so we might as well use them (and hubby is on board with CD, but not the prefolds, yet).

After Felix is about 10+ lbs, we will convert to our bumgenius one size. I LOVE LOVE these. We do have some fuzzi bunz, but we do better with the velcro closure rather than snaps. I prefer one size because with the insert, I feel like i can get the diaper cleaner rather than have it all in one. But that is TOTAL preference. They are expensive...not doubt, but soon we will be using the same diapers for both a 20 month old and a newborn. We have about 15 of them...but the other thing is that our 20 month old is in childcare and wears 7th generation sposies there, so we could probably need more if he was at home.

cotton babies is a great site, as is kellys closet and pinstripes and polkadots. We got most of our BGs at kellys closet, but that is because I searched for coupon codes (totally recommend that!) and they had the best ones at the time.

Feel free to call me/facebook me or e-mail me if you have more questions along the way.
You know how to reach me DDC buddy!

#90 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by punquin View Post

The cheapest would be prefolds and covers.
You can get prefolds for around $1.50 each (give or take a little depending on size).
For example, from this website

Sizes available and price chart:
$1.00 - Preemie 2x6x2 ply 9.5" x 13" (4-8 lbs).
$1.50 - Infant 4x8x4 ply 12" x 16" (7 to 15 lbs.)
$1.75 - Regular 4x6x4 ply 14.5" x 21" (15-30 lbs.)
$2.00 - Premium 4x8x4 ply 14.5" x 22" (15-30 lbs.)

And covers from the same site are around $13.00/each.

How many you need kind of depends on how often you intend to wash them.
If you're doing part time, I'd say 10-15 prefolds a day and 2-3 covers (they can be reused after diaper changes unless they get totally gross). You would probably have to wash them almost every day, thought you may be able to get away with every other day depending on the number of hours your LO is in cloth compared to disposable.

However, let me say that if you want to try to convince your DH that cloth diapers aren't all that bad (not saying you should, but there is a chance you could change his mind if he sees that they really are not that much of a pain), prefolds are probably not the way you want to go. My DH does not touch prefolds with a ten foot pole, but he has no problem using other types of cloth diapers.

When DS was a baby, my DH was really against cloth because of the "work required" and the "gross factor".
We made an agreement that I would do all of the washing, and all he had to do when he changed DS was throw the diaper in the diaper pail which isn't any different than tossing a disposable in the garbage.

If you were to get all in one diapers (no stuffing, no diaper cover and no folding), they are just as easy to use as disposable, aside from having to wash them.

I used pockets (fuzzi-bunz), which did require stuffing but I prepared all of the diapers right after they were finished washing/drying so DH didn't have to do any extra work.

#92 ·
Quote:

---

Re: internal exams. My OB doesn't normally do them at the 36w when she takes the GBS swab, but she did for me as I was having cramps all day. Turned out to be wicked diarrhea on the way. Fun!

My DH was the same way when I decided to CD my oldest at around 9 months old. He refused to have anything to do with them. So I did all the diapering (and hand washing at that time because we didn't have a washer and dryer in our apt.)

When we started having some issues with life in general (I miscarried, he lost his job) I went back to disposables. It took him remembering how $$ diapers get and how much they stink and how quickly they fill up the trash for him to realize they are awesome

#93 ·
Quote:

Stephanie, have you looked into gdiapers? They are a cloth/disposable hybrid, and they just came out with a newborn package that seems really reasonably priced to me! Looks like it's out of stock right now, but 12 nb and 6 sm diapers, plus a pkg of their disp. inserts (you can use cloth instead of the disposable, or do a combination of the two) for $150 is pretty darn good! And they are easy to use--no pins, no folding, etc.

I just wonder if maybe a system like that might convince your dh to give cloth a try....you could "save" the disposable inserts for him to use, and use cloth for after he goes back to work. They aren't the cheapest system, but still cheaper than full-time disposables. About the same cost as if you used only something like 7th generation or other more "natural" disp. brands.

You'd still want to prolly buy a couple dozen prefolds to use as inserts with the gdiapers (they sell cloth inserts along with the disposable inserts, but I think buying prefolds would be cheaper.), but prefolds have TONS of uses--burp cloths, etc.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw that out there; if we hadn't just had to replace our washing machine, I would have LOVED to invest in the gdiapers nb package!!

#94 ·
Quote:

Prefolds and covers are the cheapest, but if you think you can try to convince your husband to cloth diaper full time you might to buy a few pockets too.

My husband (even with practice) is scared of prefolds. I think it will be easier once the baby is here, but I'm glad that I also have some NB fitteds and pockets for when the baby is 10+lb (will use the pocket system for daycare as well).

I don't have any actual experience with the washing and all that but did quite a bit of research while figuring out what will work for us.

#95 ·
good to know everyone's experiences re: the GBS test - I am glad I didn't hear her wrong, I would rather be in charge and do it myself.

I will still have it done, but agree the better route is probably just monitoring the mom in labor. I just don't want it to have any impact on how soon I can check out of the hospital after the birth. I have heard that they often want to monitor the baby a lot longer if the mom didn't have the GBS test done and I would rather just get it out of the way now so I can get the heck out of the hospital after the birth - and here's hoping I "pass" next week :smile

#96 ·
Quote:

Prefolds and covers are the cheapest, but if you think you can try to convince your husband to cloth diaper full time you might to buy a few pockets too. My husband (even with practice) is scared of prefolds.
Prefolds are the cheapest, but if you have any hope of convincing a reluctant DH, I would vote for at least a few BumGenius or Blueberry One size pocket diapers - they function pretty much exactly like disposables AND they are a good investment since they grow with your baby - something my DH is a big fan of.

What I did the first time around is to buy a couple of a bunch of different kinds (Fuzzibuns, BumGenius, Happy Heinys, prefolds, kissaluvs, etc) - bought many used - and tried them out. Some diapers just don't work on some babies (i.e., Happy Heinys were just too trim for my chubby boy and we had blowouts every time we used them - so I'm glad I didn't invest in a whole stash of that variety, kwim?) Diaperswappers.com is a great place to find gently used diapers, as is the TP here at MDC.

#97 ·
Quote:

Plus it'll be three lovely days without a dramatic spat about whether or not I am "crazy" for not wanting to vax our preemie yet. And by "yet", I simply mean before my husband has read ANY kind of literature on the subject! (How is that not reasonable?!) But I digress... Yay, weekend!
Have a good weekend on your own!

My cousin had a preemie (28 weeks) and she got her baby vaxed with 6 shots (who knows how many different vaxes in there) at 2 months old and 8lbs! I just about died.

#98 ·
Thanks for all the great advice guys! I have a lot to mull over.

I don't think DH would ever have the patience for prefolds, though I did just buy and wash a 6-pack to use as burp cloths. I don't have pins or whatever is used with them. I think I'd need to get something that grows with baby for him to be okay with paying for any fancy CDs.

I have some time to figure it all out I guess...

#99 ·
We wrap our mattress in plastic (polyethylene 5 ml, I believe) before the birth, mostly for after the baby is born. You can get a giant roll, enough for a queen size mattress and a toddler bed mattress too, with some left over, for about $5. You never know what might happen to the mattress with a newborn in the bed! We did that day before yesterday, actually, so now we're all set for water breaking. My water broke as the beginning of labor last time, but it was just a trickle - I made it out of bed without getting anything on the sheets that time.

These are my favorite diapers right now (of course, I haven't actually used them yet, but I'm very excited to have a few finally): http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...oducts_id=1825

They're supposed to fit 7-35 pounds, so they might be an idea for your husband. We got regular AIO bumgeniuses for my son, and he's been in them for two and a half years, so they hold up quite well.

My midwife home visit was yesterday. Yay, I feel like things are coming together! Of course, I have to keep telling this baby not to get born this weekend. My mom is on her way to Panama, and my husband is leaving for Atlanta tomorrow (only about 4 hours away). February would be best. Hear that, baby?

My midwife told me she thinks the baby is probably 5.5-6 pounds right now. I started to worry too, just a little!
But then I remembered that I'm only 36 weeks, 35 if you go by ovulation... and I looked back at my notes from my first pregnancy. I had an ultrasound at 38 weeks to see if he was breech, and they estimated his size at 6 pounds then, too. A week later when he was born, he was 8 pounds.
So let's not worry about size at this point. The midwife was just trying to tell me that I have a few more weeks to go, I think.

#100 ·
Hey everyone! It's been a busy week-not sure if I've even updated on here.

aramat-a weekend to yourself sounds like a good idea and some breathing room that you need.

GBS--I got the swab Wed, but he didn't do a perineal/anal swab-just vaginal. I did get a vaginal exam, but I could have refused obviously. I had been having contractions and I was curious if they were doing anything to my cervix--no apparently

CD-I wimped out on the idea of prefolds. I had such high hopes for them, but I ended up getting some fitteds on diaperswappers and as a gift and I love them. So then I made a bunch of NB fitteds since the idea of folding a prefold on a baby freaked me out--I mean, I haven't changed a diaper in 10 years or so! I don't think I can do prefolds yet.

OB visit--so I went to the OB Wed and won't see him again (hopefully!) He told my MW ad me that it will be a "tight squeeze", especially if the baby is much bigger than 8lbs so if he came early it would be better. I'm a little paranoid now, while at the same time "pshing" his lack of faith in my pelvis. My mom really does have CPD-she couldn't have pushed out anything other than a 5lber-it surprised her old school OB that just thought everyone would have a baby eventually. I ended up being chin first and stuck after 40+hours and one of the very few c-sections in this rural hospital at the time (no epidural or interventions-just stuck). Obviously I've not examined my mom or anything, so I guess it's possible that she doesn't have CPD, but this was not a cut-happy Dr so I tend to believe it. I guess I thought I was ready for a 10 lb baby down there, but now in the back of my mind I'm worried my genetics will win out.

We met with a ped today and he seemed really nice. Practically everyone I asked recommended him. He was very pro-breastfeeding and gave us lots of support and helpful tips about the first few days since the baby won't be seeing him probably before my milk comes in. One of the nurses is also a LC and they encourage new moms to call anytime there is issue and she and the other nurses can help with latch, etc. They work with alternate/no vax schedules which is nice. We haven't decided what we're doing exactly, just that we want to wait and he said people do that all the time. He also has different forms of the vaxes and will order others if you decide you want other ones. I don't anticipate seeing him all the time, but it's nice to have someone friendly and laid back if we need him.

#102 ·
Mommy2Austin: You seriously handwashed the diapers?
. DH was exactly the same: never has washed a cloth diaper, it was totally up to me b/c it was my thing, I guess. He wouldn't hardly put one on DD. I really liked our FuzziBunz, but I didn't try anything else. I have the medium size and they fit her for ages and I'm planning to use them with the next baby, after the initial newborn phase. I'd like to say I'd handwash them if our washer broke, but... I just don't know how much I can handle yet with 2 kids. How do you do this? As soon as it's warmer out and we've adjusted a bit to everything, DD1 will have to start seriously potty training. She's 3 in May, but I haven't done much about this and am not planning to for a few months. I'm worried about being able to afford disposable diapers for 2 kids!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.