Mothering Forum banner

What are YOU eating now?

8K views 193 replies 49 participants last post by  paintedfire 
#1 ·
So, I'm full of nervous engergy and can't sleep. Out of nowhere, ten minutes or so ago, I think to myself, "I would really like a nice, homemade bowl of matzo ball soup."

This is my first go-round with the whole pregnancy "thing," but I'm thinking this is the beginning of the much talked about phenomenon of "pregnancy cravings."

Ladies? Ready, set, and . . . go!

See less See more
#128 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebigfam View Post
:j oy

That is all I have to say for you Leigh!

Thanks!

I ordered enough Chinese food to feed the whole block, I swear: spring rolls, sesame noodles, egg drop soup, chicken fried rice, vegetable lo mein, and sauteed string beans. I'd feel bad, but guess what? I don't!

The best fortune that I got said, "Your dream must be bigger than your fear." The worst fortune I got said, "Accept the next proposition you hear."

It's a good thing I'm not superstitious because I totally didn't switch our long-distance provider.

#129 ·
Great news Leigh!

On the food channel I saw this place in Brooklyn that is supposed to have the best fish & chips! The owner is from England & the food looked amazing! Do you know what I'm talking about? They also fry other things...almost anything...pizza, mac & cheese, cherry pie. Your link reminded me of it.
I told DP if we ever make it to NY we have to go...he
s fish n chips!

#130 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmiss'mama View Post
Great news Leigh!

On the food channel I saw this place in Brooklyn that is supposed to have the best fish & chips! The owner is from England & the food looked amazing! Do you know what I'm talking about? They also fry other things...almost anything...pizza, mac & cheese, cherry pie. Your link reminded me of it.
I told DP if we ever make it to NY we have to go...he
s fish n chips!
Thanks! I'm quite happy myself.

You're talking about ChipShop. They're pretty good, actually. You should absolutely check them out if you ever make it to NYC. I lived in the UK for about eight years so I love it there. In fact . . . I think I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

#132 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by paintedfire View Post

You're talking about ChipShop. They're pretty good, actually. You should absolutely check them out if you ever make it to NYC. I lived in the UK for about eight years so I love it there. In fact . . . I think I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Yep that's it! I see they have rice pudding on the menu. Rice pudding is my absolute favorite food that my grandma used to make! She was Italian though so maybe hers was different. I am definitely going to have to make some...I think I may have found my first craving!

#133 ·
Quote:

Yep that's it! I see they have rice pudding on the menu. Rice pudding is my absolute favorite food that my grandma used to make! She was Italian though so maybe hers was different. I am definitely going to have to make some...I think I may have found my first craving!
Glad I could help!

#134 ·
Leigh: I have been wanting Chinese food but every time I go to one of the buffets in town I get such horrible heartburn it's ridiculous. It's really quite frustrating!

#135 ·
My Day, As Seen Through My Mouth

Breakfast: Blueberry pancakes and yummy, yummy bacon.
Snack: Almond butter and honey on toast.
Lunch: Fish, chips, and mushy peas from ChipShop.
Snack (right now): So much watermelon.
Dinner (will be): Eggplant parmesan, caesar salad, and garlic bread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Leigh: I have been wanting Chinese food but every time I go to one of the buffets in town I get such horrible heartburn it's ridiculous. It's really quite frustrating!
I'm from Texas so I know that while there is good Chinese to be had there, I must tell you - it's nothing like New York Chinese food.

Mine was deliciously good, so I'll have some more soon in your honor.

#136 ·
Quote:

My Day, As Seen Through My Mouth

Breakfast: Blueberry pancakes and yummy, yummy bacon.
Snack: Almond butter and honey on toast.
Lunch: Fish, chips, and mushy peas from ChipShop.
Snack (right now): So much watermelon.
Dinner (will be): Eggplant parmesan, caesar salad, and garlic bread.

Haha, you did go!
I dream of living in a place with an amazing variety food available at all hours!

#137 ·
Quote:

Haha, you did go!
I dream of living in a place with an amazing variety food available at all hours!
I know. I love New York. It's home. I never really felt connected to Houston and as much as I loved London it's nothing compared to how I feel here. I may not be born-and-bred but I definitely consider myself a New Yorker at heart.

Believe it or not, all but my lunch came from my very own kitchen. The sliced eggplant is currently "sweating" on the counter in preparation for being fried.

I love to cook so the kitchen is the first room I made sure was "together" when we moved. I'm giving myself one week to completely go crazy with food following the depravity that was the last week and then I'm going to try my best to be "good," whatever that means.

#139 ·
Breakfast: Poached egg on top of tomato sauce, goat cheese, sliced and cooked vegetables; buttered (real butter) multigrain toast; two large glasses of ice-cold, extra-pulpy (mmm! Pulp) orange juice.

Mid-morning snack: A strawberry-filled donut and a cup of hot chocolate with extra whipped cream.

#141 ·
Early afternoon snack: A large glass of iced green tea and a fruit cup/bowl of melon and berries.

Lunch: Split cheese fondue and steamed artichoke appetizers with DF, a warm goat cheese salad, fried chicken with mashed potatoes and collard greens; crème brulée, and three-and-a-half large bottles of water. (The chicken was so beyond good - I think I may have discovered a phenomenon that can only be described as "taste bud orgasms.")

Late afternoon/early evening snack: An extra-large Orange Sensation smoothie. It consisted of blueberries, strawberries, pineapple sherbet, orange juice, and ice. I had them add a boost of echinacea. Figured it couldn't hurt.

Dinner (I cooked!): Roasted shrimp and broccoli, steamed brown rice, and freshly baked (by me!) oatmeal raisin cookies.

Wow. I better start gaining weight soon or I'm going to be one pissed off pregnant woman and I don't think New York can handle me right now.

#142 ·
Breakfast was a spinach and cheese strata that I prepared last night while cooking dinner and DF popped into the oven when he got up to make coffee for him and tea for me (I may or may not have ended up eating half of the casserole dish.
). We also had a huge bowl of organic strawberries that one of my friends brought us (she went berry picking at a farm yesterday). So, so good.

Now I'm having my mid-morning snack: (many) more oatmeal raisin cookies from last night and a glass of milk.

#144 ·
Quote:

mmm, we have organic strawberries too right now! I have a recipe for strawberry shortcake cream biscuits sitting next to me...but it'll have to wait until after work!

I have a similar recipe - strawberries and dumplings topped with fresh cream. So good.

I, um, slept through lunch. So I was forced to combine lunch and my late afternoon snack.

I put on some passable clothes, wiped the sleep from my eyes, and headed the three blocks to one of my favorite places in all of Brooklyn - Bedouin Tent.

There, with the frightened eyes of the other customers upon me, I consumed the following: fresh-baked pita bread and hummus, spinach and chickpea salad, a cup of lentil soup, half a dozen or so stuffed grape leaves, the piece de la resistance - a leg of lamb sandwich on pita with onion and yummy house-made lemon mint mayo, a large slice of baklava, and several glasses of iced mint tea throughout. My bill was under $30. Don't tell me there's no value to be found in NYC.

Now that I had food in my belly to give me the energy I needed I had to go home and get dressed because an artist friend of mine just landed an awesome new gig, so a group of us were taking him out to celebrate. During said celebration I had half a dozen fresh oysters and a lobster roll with french fries.

When it got to be around 11:15-11:30 I caught a cab and headed to my DF's office to wait around for him. Then we headed to the office's usual after-work restaurant and there I had a cheesesteak sandwich, waffle fries, coleslaw, a large pickle, and pretty much nearly all of DF's best friend's dessert - an I don't know what with all different kinds of chocolate, macadamia nuts, and vanilla ice cream.
In my defense, it came while he was in the bathroom and it just smelled so good.

#147 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by expat_canuck View Post
right now - yummy yummy french toast with homemade raspberry compote/syrup (sounds a lot fancier than it is - we were out of maple syrup so I threw some frozen raspberries in a pot with some water a spoonful of berry jam and lemon zest and boiled em a few minutes). Delish!
DF made waffles for breakfast this morning (he doesn't cook as much as I do, but for a former bachelor living in Manhattan he's got some skills
), and I ALWAYS spread mine with raspberry jam. There is almost nothing in this world that I love more than raspberry anything. With lots of butter, a little (real) maple syrup, and a very light sprinkle of powered sugar.

I had four.

#149 ·
I had breakfast, but after reading the last few pages...I feel like I need to go grocery shopping for many items. Glad I'm not the only one feeling extra hungry. Now that I'm done w/ being in a wedding-I'm less paranoid about the rounded belly I'm starting to get.

I am loving pickles, fruit & starches. Same as so far. Still eating most meat-wondering if it will start bothering me like last time.

I'm craving a smoothie & have nothing to make one with. Gonna have to hit up the store or try the mr smoothie up the road.

#151 ·
Quote:

There is almost nothing in this world that I love more than raspberry anything.
Yes, me too. I grew up with a big raspberry bush in the backyard. Delish. I may have gone to the grocery store this afternoon and bought big bag of frozen raspberries to make more syrup/sauce/compote tonight...

and in other eating and drinking news, while in the grocery store I grabbed a pint of milk and chugged it. I needed it right then, but...I don't drink milk. I haven't in years. My partner was with me and was worried about me. We've been together going on 9 years and he has NEVER seen me drink milk. Ever. ever. It totally hit the spot, though.

I must be pregnant, or something

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.