Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Not drinking right now

Votes: 50 56.8%
  • Was not a drinker to begin with

Votes: 25 28.4%

Who is still drinking?

2K views 48 replies 32 participants last post by  AFWife 
#1 ·
I was just wondering ..who is still drinking and what are you drinking if you are?

Do you drink in public or only at home?

And if you do drink around others what is their reaction? How do you respond?

#2 ·
I guess I should start:
I am still drinking wine and beer , I do in public and around my family, DF's family is not so happy about me doing anything during pregnancy..like what I'm I suppose to climb in bed and not get out for 9 months..lol

No one has really reacted to it , well my sister said something the other day about me not being able to do some other stuff during my pregnancy and I told her "I'm a grown woman I can do what ever I want to do when ever I want to do it." ooh did I mention I have been alot bitchier then normal due to all the hormones ..lol

#5 ·
I've had a few glasses of wine. My partner works in the wine/beer industry, and so we pretty much always have alcohol around. His co-workers bought us a really, really good bottle of pinot to congratulate us on the pregnancy, and I had to have a glass of that when we finally relented and opened it. It was amazing, there was no way I was going to let him drink it all! Actually, my pregnancy sense of smell has really improved the wine tasting experience. I am much better at picking out different flavors and scents than I ever was pre-preggo.

I've pretty much only been drinking wine, only small glasses here and here and when I know I have already drank my quota of water for the day. And pretty much only at home, although I have tasted (and spit) wine while at my partner's store.

#6 ·
I had a glass of wine the other night and I was planning on indulging in some champagne during my wedding reception - but we eloped. Hence the wine.

It was lovely.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by baglady View Post
I don't drink during pregnancy and am usually not much of a drinker; however, I really crave hard liquor mixed drinks when pregnant.
I totally get the craving thing...with my DD I craved beer !!

#13 ·
DDDC... I always thought that any alcohol, regardless of the amount, could be harmful during pregnancy. When I did some research, I found that no one really knows how much is too much, and when the most damage is likely to occur. While I personally doubt that the occasional beer or glass of wine (like once a week...) would hurt the baby, I have never been comfortable enough to indulge during pregnancy or even BFing for that matter.

#14 ·
I don't have a problem with a drink now and then. I try to limit one at a time and maybe once a week. I have done research and this appears to be fine. I am not one for out and out limitations due to 'what if's'. I just don't work that way. I think statistically your more likely to get in a car accident than cause FAS to your baby by an occasional drink.

That's just me though. Oh, mostly at home, although I did have a glass of wine out once. I imagine when I get bigger I won't, just to eliminate dealing with others judgement. My friend is a 'some' at a fancy restaurant in SF and says its so funny how many pregnant educated wealthy women will drink wine at her restaurant. No big deal in that environment, interesting.

#15 ·
I have a glass of wine when I want to during pregnancy. I am more likely to drink in public than in private, since I am most likely to drink wine when we are out for a special dinner or at a gathering of family and friends. I have never felt uncomfortable ordering drinks when pregnant, but then I don't live in the US and I believe that it's a much bigger deal there. I don't know what I'd do if some stranger said something to me about my drinking. That would be so incredibly rude. I'd probably give them a long lecture about how my rights as a pregnant women aren't any different than the ones I had before I became pregnant - if I got over the shock sufficiently to answer! My family thinks I'm overly cautious when it comes to alcohol when pregnant, so I've never heard boo from them.

All in all, I probably drink once or twice a month when pregnant, and usually only a glass of wine at a time (although I can go up to two glasses if its over a meal that lasts several hours). Not really much different than when I'm not pregnant, except I don't allow myself that second or third glass of bubbly (which I'm usually a sucker for).

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asparagus78 View Post
DDDC... I always thought that any alcohol, regardless of the amount, could be harmful during pregnancy. When I did some research, I found that no one really knows how much is too much, and when the most damage is likely to occur. While I personally doubt that the occasional beer or glass of wine (like once a week...) would hurt the baby, I have never been comfortable enough to indulge during pregnancy or even BFing for that matter.
i am in an multicultural relationship. my partner is from a country and continent where it is not uncommon for women to enjoy the occasional alcoholic beverage. additionally restrictions on fish, cheese, and many other common no no's in the u.s. are also different here. i find it hard to believe that the americans have it right on this one and that an entire continent of well-educated people are knowingly informing there pregnant women astray. with that said, i am not comfortable enjoying alcohol as often as they would be comfortable, but i still do have a small, slowly savored glass of wine with dinner here and there.

with that said...the last time i expressed this kind of view when i was pregnant with my first, i was flamed and accused of being a terrible mother who was to selfish to put her needs after her child's.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
with that said...the last time i expressed this kind of view on a DDC on another board, i was flamed away and accused of being a terrible mother who was to selfish to put her needs after her child's. i hope that this won't happen here.
Using my phone to say this from the tarmac while the flight attendant's backs are turned - dude, it's going to take plenty of beer to get me through my time in Houston. No flames here.

#18 ·
Quote:

with that said...the last time i expressed this kind of view on a DDC on another board, i was flamed away and accused of being a terrible mother who was to selfish to put her needs after her child's. i hope that this won't happen here.
I am always sad because I also hear of women not breastfeeding AT ALL because they want to drink and they were told they couldn't drink while nursing. So someone decided that it was better and safer to feed formula than nurse after an occasional beer.

I just think entire civilizations survived drinking mostly beer and wine before water was clean, and managed to advance. Beer and wine has been around longer than clean water, and it was probably much stronger than what we drink today.

I wouldn't do it, because I am not one that likes the taste of most beer or wine (some I do, not all) but I can't judge anyone else who does (unless they are at the bar every night drinking 4-5 shots, a few beers, and a mixed drink...then I 'd probably be worried
)

#19 ·
I drank occassionally when I was pregnant with my son, but not until after the first trimester and then only a glass of wine or nice beer.

I'm trying to hold out until then during this pregnancy but I have been craving a good beer!

#20 ·
Quote:

Let's also not forget how much women in this country used to drink during pregnancy, like in the 50s. It wasn't an occasional wine with dinner either. It was hard liquor. I mean have you seen Mad Men?

I wouldn't flame you. I know plenty of people who drink here and there while pregnant and their babies are fine. Obviously excessive drinking is dangerous. Hwever, I've also seen the oposite extreme (where women are so afraid to consume anything unhealthy they limit too much) turn out badly.

#21 ·
I did not drink much at all during the first tri (I indulged a couple of times before getting the BFP and had a glass of wine on my birthday), but now that I am at 12.5 weeks I feel much more comfortable having the occasional wine or beer.

In fact, at my 12-week visit my midwife said, unprompted by me, "Do you drink? Because I would highly recommend having an occasional good-quality, hop-y beer to help with breast milk production." Apparently she did a lot of her training in Germany, where it would of course be unheard of to go an entire pregnancy without wine or beer. I am already planning to share a bit of Guinness with DH just after the birth (so long as the idea of it doesn't make me puke at the time!).

For any who are interested, there is some pretty thought-provoking information about American pregnancy and alcohol consumption in this blog post.

#22 ·
On one side i do think there is things to be concerned about short of FAS and that things don't suddenly go from safe to dangerous as some particular amount, it's a scale and alcohol has toxins, that is just a fact

On the other side I think the zero limit is usually used because science does not trust Americans to understand moderation, we as a whole have proven that inability time and time again.

AS for ME:
I waited till just recently when the major organs had formed before being willing to let any optional toxins in my body. This includes some workplace toxins that I have to contend with as well as caffeine and alcohol. I now go back into my shop, but only with a respirator that blocks most everything but not 100% and will now let myself drink a very small 1-3 oz of wine from time to time, but very rarely. I had a few ounces mixed with seltzer to make a glass and it was very yummy!

The bottom line for me as I have just said in a caffeine thread is why would I volunteer toxins when it's not going to torquer me to avoid? If I'm drinking enough alcohol to " get me thru something" I think that is too much right there.

#24 ·
Not much, but I'm not a huge drinker anyhow, having been pregnant and/or nursing for the better part of the last five years.

A German friend made me a yummy white wine spritzer at a mother blessing, and that was super tasty. Other than that, a sip of the mister's beer (he let me have the first limey sip of his Corona, the wonderful man).

#25 ·
I enjoy a drink in the evening, when not pg, but while pg I exercise caution, and won't have more than 1/2 a serving of alcohol, and that rarely.

That means, either 6 oz. of beer, 2 oz. of wine, or 1/2 oz of hard liquor.

Beer tastes GROSS to me now, but during the worst part of the 1st tri, light beer tasted good, and I would have as much as 4 oz. of it in a tiny juice glass.

What I find laughable, is how people mistakenly think wine is somehow different from beer or liquor! People will say wine is ok, but vodka isn't, for instance, despite the fact that a pregnant woman having one measured 4 oz. glass of wine, is no different, functionally, from her having 1 shot of whisky. Yet emotionally, people who wouldn't freak out seeing a pg woman have a glass of wine with dinner, would freak out if she had a shot!

So illogical.

If I wanted whisky, which actually.... half a shot of 15 year old Glen Garrioch scotch whiskey sounds really good in theory.... I would savor it. I wouldn't even have a whole shot, just to be cautious.

But I don't feel the need, and probably would find it yucky. What a waste that would be! LOL

#26 ·
I'm a moderate drinker not pg and a light drinker while pg. I still go out for margarita Mondays but I don't drink the whole thing- more due to heartburn issues than thinking that the whole Margarita would be harmful. Occasionally we go for brunch and then I will finish a bloody mary. They are just. too. good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.