Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Not drinking right now

Votes: 50 56.8%
  • Was not a drinker to begin with

Votes: 25 28.4%

Who is still drinking?

2K views 48 replies 32 participants last post by  AFWife 
#1 ·
I was just wondering ..who is still drinking and what are you drinking if you are?

Do you drink in public or only at home?

And if you do drink around others what is their reaction? How do you respond?

#27 ·
I've had a few sips of DH's beer, but that's all. My mom offers me a drink every time I'm at her house, which is surprising. I'm not comfortable drinking a full glass of anything at this point.

#28 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
On the other side I think the zero limit is usually used because science does not trust Americans to understand moderation, we as a whole have proven that inability time and time again.
I think this hits the nail on the head, personally.

I drank moderately when pregnant with DS. Like, 1/2 a glass during my second tri and no more than 2 beers in an afternoon during my third tri. He's a brilliant little boy. I feel like Adorkable and am more comfortable indulging after I hit that "magical" 12 week mark.

In fact, my mother was told to drink a glass of wine a night when she was pregnant with me because she kept going into preterm labor and her doctor wasn't comfortable giving her drugs for it.

#29 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
In fact, my mother was told to drink a glass of wine a night when she was pregnant with me because she kept going into preterm labor and her doctor wasn't comfortable giving her drugs for it.
My mother's doctor told her the same thing - she had a glass of red wine every night before bed. She went into labor at five months, and was always fairly certain that she miscarried a twin at that time. She ended up back in the hospital three times before I was born - two weeks and two days late.

#30 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
This was recommended to me... But I can't stomach the idea of drinking alcohol, caffeine, taking drugs (prescribed or otherwise) or anything during pregnancy. It just gives me an icky feeling. Like it's unsafe, even if it's supposed to be safe in small amounts. I'm pretty torn up about having to get anesthesia for my cerclage, honestly. I'm such a freak...

Crunchynerd- That's a really funny point you make about how someone would respond to seeing a pregnant woman do a shot. I honestly don't like watching pregnant women drink anything, but I wouldn't DREAM of saying anything. It's just beyond rude.

#31 ·
I'm not drinking any alcohol right now and haven't during my entire pregnancy so far. I don't think I could stomach it right now anyway, I can barely keep anything down! I went to Ireland a few weeks ago and I thought that I'd really be craving some beer, but the smell of it made my stomach turn. So much for my pint at the Guinness Factory!

I probably won't drink during this pregnancy, but I'm not much of a drinker anyway. But hey, if the desire strikes, I may just have a drink. Who knows? I certainly don't look down on pregnant women who have the occasional drink.

#33 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mra View Post
I went to Ireland a few weeks ago and I thought that I'd really be craving some beer, but the smell of it made my stomach turn. So much for my pint at the Guinness Factory!
Kind of a side note, but hugs over missing the Guinness while on your trip. I went to grad school in England and though I don't understand why it's been my experience that it really does taste better in Ireland. Obviously a baby is better than a pint of beer, but still - that had to be slightly disappointing.

#34 ·
I had a sip of the most beautiful drink ever. My dp ordered a blood orange margarita, and it had floating limes and bright orange rind bits floating in it, and a thick layer of pink salt on the rim. I sipped it, b/c I had to, it was too beautiful not to sample, and I didn't like it. I felt like I'd had a whole bottle of tequila. Not drunk-wise, just overwhelmed with the taste and sensation aftermath. Damn pretty in that patio sunlight, I must say.

#35 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by paintedfire View Post
\Obviously a baby is better than a pint of beer, but still - that had to be slightly disappointing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormgirl View Post
I had a sip of the most beautiful drink ever. My dp ordered a blood orange margarita, and it had floating limes and bright orange rind bits floating in it, and a thick layer of pink salt on the rim.
Sounds pretty.
I bet the tequila would be overwhelming to the pregnant person... But I bet it's awesome otherwise. Now I want something with lime in it...

#39 ·
I'm a light to moderate drinker when not pregnant. I consider myself a non-drinker during pregnancy. If hubby is having a beer then I might have 2 sips. He doesn't really get wine for just himself, but we had a bottle on hand & I had one sip the other night. I don't judge for drinking, but personally I don't know what I think is safe so a couple sips is my limit. I am known to be a wino so I wouldn't want to drink too much.

#40 ·
With my first pregnancy, I didn't have a drop until after 40 weeks. At that point I was starting to become anxious about going into labor, so I had a partial pint of Guinness. It made me feel like I was at the end of the road with the pregnancy and about to return to normalcy, which was important to me at the time. Guinness also felt "safer" because of its lower ABV and, uh, micronutrient content...

This time I'm also not drinking, although I wouldn't be surprised if I had a Guinness again after 40 weeks. When I'm not pregnant I tend to be a somewhat irresponsible drinker, so I prefer to put myself on a zero-tolerance policy throughout my pregnancy.

I do miss it, though. I love vodka/gin tonics, a homemade Bloody Mary (have my own special recipe with lots of horseradish and fresh lemon), Domaine de Canton & prosecco, Vouvray, Carmenere, Belgian beers (saison, tripels, and wits especially), stouts and ales, Corona and lime, Pabst or Genesee, margaritas with fresh lime juice (salt and rocks), champagne punch. I could go on. I make infused simple syrups for cocktail mixing. I've made my own wine; my husband has brewed beer.

While I'm pregnant it's something I'd rather not think about. I drink Arnold Palmers (half lemonade, half unsweetened iced tea) when I'm out.

#41 ·
honeyhaze-we would so hang out & be bestfriends.

My Dh has made a few batches of beer-but nothing since we moved back in Jan. I'm a responsible drinker for the most part-but get carried away w/ wine. I love all drinks-beer, wine, cocktail drinks. Although I'm not a fan of some of the domestic beers like bud, etc. How do u make ur own wine? That is something I would def want to try in the future. The arnold palmer is good-haven't seen that since I've moved to Ohio though.

#42 ·
i've had like half a beer is all...which i thought was weird because normally i hate beer but the last few weeks i've been craving it. turns out the morning sickness remedy my midwife gave me was mostly hops and fennel

#43 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by babyjelly View Post
i've had like half a beer is all...which i thought was weird because normally i hate beer but the last few weeks i've been craving it. turns out the morning sickness remedy my midwife gave me was mostly hops and fennel

A few sips of beer is excellent for an upset stomach...just in general!

#45 ·
I had a martini - extra olives - at dinner night before last. Then I took a bubble bath. Both were equally nice. The spinach dip was the best, though.

I had a glass of red wine last night. I was better than my dinner - marrow bones, french onion soup, steak au poivre - and all.

#46 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by paintedfire View Post
I had a martini - extra olives - at dinner night before last. Then I took a bubble bath. Both were equally nice. The spinach dip was the best, though.

I had a glass of red wine last night. I was better than my dinner - marrow bones, french onion soup, steak au poivre - and all.
All that sounds yummy...I haven't had any wine all week but I might make DF to stop on the way home and pick some thing up.

#47 ·
I had a few sips of beer the other night and it tasted so gross...

DH said it also smelled funny and checked the exp date....

Yeah, it was expired by almost 2 months. *blech*

#48 ·
I am all for a having a glass now and then, but after taking a couple of sips, I don't want anymore. My body def turns itself off any kind of booze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.