Mothering Forum banner

Anyone want to join in a purge?

4K views 72 replies 28 participants last post by  VisionaryMom 
#1 ·
I started this a while ago, but forgot about it. I want to continue what I started. You don't have to pare down to just 100 things, just as long as you pare down.
So who's game?

#2 ·
I need to do this. I've been toying with the idea. For right now, I've packed up all of or clothing except what we need for a week to see how it affects our life. I'm one week into it, and I think I like it. I definitely am not going for 100 things. But paring down sounds great.

#3 ·
Ooh, me, pick me! I'm not going to be purging down to 100 items either but I do need to do a thorough declutter. School (well, homeschool) is starting in August so it gives me about two weeks or so to do it... I need to reinspire myself. I remember living minimalist when we moved here two years ago with practically nothing, now our house is PACKED - danged thrift store habit!

#5 ·
I have already been purging heaps doing the 2010 things, but the more I do, the more I realise I still have SO much more to get rid of...it's really like peeling off layers of an onion.

There is no way I can get down to 100 things, nor do I want to, however I agree that cleaning the house is so much easier with less possessions.

I just wish I had more energy and more time to spend more time decluttering....having to do daily chores takes up so much time, that the decluttering is a slow process.

I definitely only wear a small percentage of the clothes in my drawers, and I realise every day I look through my drawer for something to wear and usually decide against certain items over and over, which is a good sign to get rid of them!!

#7 ·
I would take pictures, but I can't find my battery charger. So I'll do a run down of what I've done so far. My original post in my blog was from last October, and back then I did pare down a lot. I got rid of tons of clothes that were not fitting, extra plates, pots, toys, purses, diaper bags, makeup. But now it's time to have another go at it.
A few days ago I got out all of the kids assorted plates and sippy cups, and got rid of a lot.
Before: about 30 pieces, including sippy cups without their spouts.
After: 2 sippy cups (one for each boy), 2 bowls and 2 plates from Ikea, along with the matching cup that goes with it (can't find the other 1), and one wooden bowl.

Purses/Diaper bags: There's not much to get rid of here, because I did a serious purge last October, but I'm getting rid of a white purse that I just don't love anymore. So that leaves me with three purses and 1 diaper bag.

my next thing to tackle....books and bed linens.

#8 ·
I'm joining. We're moving in two weeks, and I refuse to move all of the crap that has accumulated here.

From clothes I haven't worn in a couple years to receipts for 2 dollars worth of cheese a year ago, it's going out the door! I hope.

ETA: I just realized that other than the paper (and some clothes) there's not THAT much stuff to declutter here. (yikes). It's mostly we have like no storage, nor the money to buy it. Not that this will change where we're moving. we're temporarily moving into my dad's house while he's not there though, and all my childhood crap still is there. That's where I really have stuff to clean out. Though I'd like to reduce the stuff in this apartment. It's just... hard. And DP is convinced that it's ALL my stuff (a lot of it is but by no means all), and I'm the only one who might want to do some decluttering besides papers. grrrr

#10 ·
I'm also instituting a new rule for myself (I'm not even going to try to get DH on board with this one). Anytime I bring something new into the house, something has to go out. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the same category, but I think this will help keep things from getting out of hand and will make me think twice about buying things.

#11 ·
I'll play! We moved into my ILs old apartment, and when they moved out they left all their stuff here.
My SIL lives here too and doesn't want to get rid of anything. I thought I'd decluttered as much as possible before we moved in...at least mine and DD's stuff, DH is more of a clutterer than a declutterer.
But I'm getting anxious with all the STUFF here and something has to go, so I have to figure out what else of mine I can get out.

I'm at a point right now where a lot of my decluttering is tied into decisions about my life path...Like, will I ever go back to work at my old job, or can I donate all the costumes? Will I ever actually get my social work license, or can I get rid of all my school notes? It's really making it difficult!

#14 ·
I've gotten rid of a bunch more things between yesterday and today. About 10 books, a bunch of bed linens that was mismatched or ripped, tons of clothes the boys have outgrown. Hopefully my mom will come over next Wednesday so I can drop everything off at Goodwill.
How's everyone else doing?

#15 ·
Today we took a giant bag of clothes to Goodwill. None of the thrift stores near me accept toys, though...does anyone have any ideas of what to do with them? I don't mean big toys you can sell on CL, but little plastic toys and random stuffed animals.

How's everyone else doing?

#16 ·
well, I got most of the paper sorted, and organized. There are a few things here and there, but the six bazillion piles all over the apt are GONE! they're recycled or they are filed away in a file box!!! that's seriously the biggest problem I had in the apt of clutter. (we have lots of other clutter, but it bothered me the most).

#17 ·
I've been working on our play room. So far I have five or six boxes ready to go to the church yard sale. All of that's great, but I saw a mouse or something similarly small and furry in there this morning (it ran through too quickly to see much except the movement). Eek!

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoGoGirl View Post
None of the thrift stores near me accept toys, though...does anyone have any ideas of what to do with them? I don't mean big toys you can sell on CL, but little plastic toys and random stuffed animals.
Shelter, hospital, hairdresser, daycare, art teacher at a school, dentist and doctor's office?
Pretty much anyplace that has a waiting area where kids might be- this is good for books too

I need to do a purge too, I will start in my bedroom today- the closet, the bookshelf and under the bed....I have not looked under the bed since I stored a bunch of stuff under there~ that stuff cannot be very important since it's been at least a year

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by *Lisa* View Post
I saw a mouse or something similarly small and furry in there this morning (it ran through too quickly to see much except the movement). Eek!
Eeeeeeeeeeeee!! Congrats on all those boxes though!

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshineafterrain View Post
Shelter, hospital, hairdresser, daycare, art teacher at a school, dentist and doctor's office?
Pretty much anyplace that has a waiting area where kids might be- this is good for books too.
Oh, good idea, thank you! We have a community playroom at our apartment building, I'll check if they want them.

#21 ·
I did a huge amount of moving/sorting books yesterday, think I overdid it actually as my back is hurting today! But at least I weeded out some to get rid of, going to store most of them though in plastic containers under the house. Although that is not helping me purge, it has helped to declutter our bedroom.

I have found out somewhere I might be able to sell some of our 2nd hand toys, to a store that pays 50% cash, 50% credit, for old toys and clothes...so will take them along next week and try my luck, otherwise will donate them to charity.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by *Lisa* View Post
I've been working on our play room. So far I have five or six boxes ready to go to the church yard sale. All of that's great, but I saw a mouse or something similarly small and furry in there this morning (it ran through too quickly to see much except the movement). Eek!
EEEEEWWWW! How scary!

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post
How's everyone doing? So far, I've gathered about 70 items to donate.

The saving items to sell thing is really holding me up, and I can't decide what to do about it right now.
Saving items to sell ALWAYS gets me, and for some reason I'm such a procrastinator about selling stuff. I usually just end up donating them anyway.

I'm doing really well! I've been through almost all of my stuff to pare down. I've been through DD's toys, but not her clothes. What do you all do with stained baby clothes? They're not worn out at all, just kind of messy looking. Does Goodwill take those, you think?

DH and SIL are soooo not on board, though. DH asked me if he could go to a movie a few nights ago. I said, "Sure, if you choose 10 books to donate." He decided not to go to the movie.
I asked SIL if she wanted to donate any books...Our bookshelves are PACKED with her books, like required reading books from high school, junky paperbacks from the 80s, tons of old magazines, etc. She must have a thousand books--most of it junk, but she only gave me 5 to donate. I'm trying to remember that DH and SIL just have different priorities right now than decluttering.

#25 ·
I definatley need to purge... 75+ pairs of shoes is just the beginning!
We have a "tunnel system" in our house, and I admit it is mostly my crap! Not to mention the baby due date is just a few weeks away...

#26 ·
I'm in on decluttering. Tomorrow, I will go through all of our clothes, wash what needs to be washed, and get rid of what we don't wear (that's still wearable) on Freecycle. Some of the extra clothes for the older 3 kids will go to their dad's house, so he has some decent clothes for them.

Anybody want to take any bets on how many garbage bags of clothes I'll fill?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.