Mothering Forum banner

Weekly thread, July 25 - Aug 1

7K views 173 replies 23 participants last post by  smeisnotapirate 
#1 ·
Possibly our last weekly thread in here?

I can tell our babies are getting older -- there's less overnight posting.

See less See more
#102 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post
there's a way to have a private group on FB if we feel like LWAB isn't for us and we're mostly all on FB anyways right? am i missing anyone who ISN"T on FB?

I know Peace and Hope doesn't.

#103 ·
To make a Blogger blog private:

In your control panel, go to "settings", click the "permissions" tab, and select "only people I choose." They sign in using their email address.

There are a series of less-private ways to make your blog harder to find in the "Basic Settings" tab - things like going unlisted and not allowing a search of your blog.

ETA - I'm Nicole Coraggio on Facebook, find me there

#104 ·
J has chronic kidney disease

we had to go to the ER last night and after some labs the er dr. said they showed chronic kidney disease

#106 ·
Oh ericka
I have a good friend who is going through chronic kidney disease with her son, and it is scary. Jennings just can't catch a break.

Niki - Thanks.
I thought I had you in my google reader before, but i must have missed it. Re-adding now. And i agree - I love MDC for what it is, but I also feel like I'm banging my head up against a wall of judgement sometimes. DDC's are different, because we become a support network, and we genuinely want to see each other succeed - in the greater population there is just that layer of anonymity that gives people freereign to say things, or say things in a tone, they wouldn't use otherwise. MDC is by far the best forum I've been on, but it's still a forum, with forum-y problems.

SS - I'm glad your mom is recovering, and that your DH has this new job, but whew, you deserve a break soon. maybe in a few years, right?

We went swimming yesterday as well, and Becky loved it. My other girls both tried to drown themselves within minutes of getting there (a friend's parents house), but luckily there were many adult eyes and hands free and they were both okay. Water is a huge fear of mine, so I'm not sure we'll be swimming again this summer without my DH there. I looked into getting the big girls into swimming lessons this summer, but one parent needs to be in the water with them, and DH works during all the class times, so
Next year Becky will hopefully be able to be away from me for an hour or so, and we can do intensive swim classes and hopefully get them watersmart.

And yeah, I put becky down in her bed earlier so i could get the big girls lunch... and she fell asleep. She's been asleep for about an hour and a half now. I... will show myself out now.

#107 ·
Wow, just wow.

So, I was going to bake a cake for my grandparents today. I got everything I needed from the store, except for baking soda, which I thought I already had, since I asked DH multiple times to pick some up. We had none and I didn't have enough time for another store run, so I looked up a substitution on the internet and made my cake.
It didn't rise and it tastes awful.

I started bread while that was baking, and it seems fine, but when it needed it's last knead, I put DD2 on my back in the mei tai, and before I stood up away from my bed (where I strapped her in), she threw up all down my back and all over the bed.

So, I needed to take off the futon cover ('cause I sleep on a futon mattress). I grabbed the zipper pull and tried to open it, but the zipper came off in my hand. Futon covers are NOT cheap, either. *sigh*

#108 ·
Blogging: I see Niki already gave the details. Dh does this when he's teaching so that he can feel comfortable using his blog. I also have several friends who do this. I haven't had a reason to keep it private at this point. Sometimes I feel paranoid about the kids' blog as I use their names but then I think it really is paranoia. I can't imagine that someone is going to use that blog to piece together where my kids are and then come kidnap them. Now if I had an ex or something like that I would feel differently.

My blog ended up being quite important to my thesis. I blogged bits and pieces of it as well as ideas I was having. I got a few responses that helped me to make things clearer, etc.

Sleeping: R had a rough couple of nights but is now being awesome. She's snoozing right now. She was fussy at a play date because it was hot and she was tired. I finally got her to nurse and she feel asleep and has been pretty much been sleeping since then (it was about 2:30). This is a HUGE nap for her but she was up from 7:30 until then...at night she sleeps through anything.

MDC: I have grown a thick skin in terms of forums. I used to get so upset but now I just let it go. I don't post much anywhere else but here but I do read. I'll keep up here as well on Facebook when they take the forum off.

And Erica hugs. Thinking about Jennings and you.

#109 ·
Oh ericka, I'm so sorry.

MDC does make me crazy in general, and I post a lot. I'm not really crunchy enough for a lot of these people.

L has slept for about 10 minutes since noon, and it's now 7:23. She's screaming at me, I finally had to put her down for a minute and eat some dinner and regroup. She has a bit of a cold, and I think she's just frustrated.

Okay, back to ms screamy mcscreamerson.

#110 ·
Rhi, I feel the same way. But I am still more at home here than anywhere else. Here my parenting choices are mainstream, other place they are OMG YOU'RE A G-D HIPPIE.

That was Cecilia today! No cold here though, and she just woke up from an almost 3 hour nap, thankfully.

I've kept my blogging promise so far.

#111 ·
Ericka
Let us know what's going on. Prayers for all 3 of you!

I'm pretty darn crunchy. CafeMom and BabyCenter and all the others make me cry wracking sobs whenever I go on, so I've stopped. Aside from the Jew/circumcision thing, I'm pretty much an MDC posterchild (sadly - I hate labels!)

#112 ·
Mercy's medical records got here today.

The whole vascular congestion issue was raised by the radiologist within hours of us getting there. People went on the whole tangent with invisible infections, but the statement about vascular congestion was made right off the bat.

Also, it's really easy to see which nurses liked me and which nurses didn't. Nurse who liked me? "Mother is very loving and tender with her child." Nurse who doesn't like me? I get described as weepy and complaining.

And under pain management, they've got stuff like "baby in sling." So, at least there was that?

#113 ·
((hugs)) ericka

lnf - its amazing what you read in medical files!

rhi - can totally relate. but now that I am back livin up north, I think I am a bit more mainstream. went to a friend's camp yesterday and his mom was there and she's used to be a L&D nurse. she said she loved helping new moms BFed, and we talked about how her hospital was on of the baby friendly ones. Its so nice to not be so worried.

I was going for a swim and I came in to feed Dani & I noticed I had sand all over my boobs! LOL. My friends mom was so nie and she was like, here take your boob out and we'll rinse it under the spray gun at the sink!! ROFL. it worked! I love how BFing is so much more "normal" up here.

My friend's brother and his wife were also there and were expecting. I dont know them well and they moved south. his wife I guess said something to her MIL about maybe not being able to BFed, and her MIL encouraged her to gie it a try for a couple weeks at least. then I looked as she got up, and it almost looked like she had cigarettes in her back pocket?? I hope that was something else!! please someone convince me it was somethign else!

anyway - had a blast at the lake. i have to work tomorrow in teh AM, then I leave for the weekend as my dd is getting "married" I'm not exactly positive its a legal marraige but I know at the very least its a "commitment ceremony" LOL. sort of complicated - he has a degenerative muscle disease and so if he married this woman, who has sizeable assets, they may insist that their joint money be used to pay for medical expenses and he doesn't want her to lose the house over it. So IDK if he consuled a lawyer and decided to go through with it or if they just decided on a commitment ceremony instead. I told him gay people do weddings all the time without it being legally recognized, so he could do it too - just don't file for the license! LOL

ETA: I am putting some small diapers up FS, if anyone needs any LMK. I have TFF, TFD AIO, SDF pocket, FN cover, IV cover and a few other things. I realize most of us are about the same size, but I'd thought I'd check. Dani is well into her med now and busting out of the last snaps of these.

#114 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post
hugs silverspook. hope things get a little calmer for you soon!
Thank you! I hope so too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
SS - I'm glad your mom is recovering, and that your DH has this new job, but whew, you deserve a break soon. maybe in a few years, right?

Right? lol. This weekend should actually be pretty chill. I'm totally looking forward to it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by laughingfox View Post
I put DD2 on my back in the mei tai, and before I stood up away from my bed (where I strapped her in), she threw up all down my back and all over the bed.
Isaiah did this to me yesterday in the wrap. I wonder if the leaning over to get them in puts weird pressure on their tummies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
Rhi, I feel the same way. But I am still more at home here than anywhere else. Here my parenting choices are mainstream, other place they are OMG YOU'RE A G-D HIPPIE.

IKWYM! I'm out there, but not too out there. Around here, it's homebirth, no circ, no vax, exclusive bf'ing for 9-12 mos & CLW (it was 2 1/2 yrs for DS1), CDs, and babywearing, but we do eat junk food and have 3 TVs (that DS1 watches way too much of!) so

#116 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
My very crunchy friends are aghast that we are not vegetarians. And that we have chosen to vax selectively and on a delayed schuedule. And my more mainstream friends are aghast at everything we do!

I meet a homeschooling mom I really liked because she said "I'm too crunchy for my mainstream friends and not crunchy enough for the alternative friends." That's us. Let's see I've gotten crap for not doing consensual living, unschooling, and attachment parenting "right." I was run off two aping yahoo groups because I worked. I was shamed for giving my daughter formula because I couldn't pump enough. The list goes on. And then I get the same crap from mainstream parents. Luckily I just gave up and now have a tougher hide and real friends:p

#117 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
I don't facebook.

Ericka -- I'm so sorry. What does that actually mean for Jennings?
thanks everyone...he can't catch a break

I meet with the nephrologist and urologist in the morning. I have tons of questions I have written out. I want to know why I haven't been informed about this before?
J was sick so we had to go to ER. Kidney Dr. called and said to go and mentioned something about his blood tests, but made it sound as though it was nothing?
At ER, the Dr. brought it up and I said oh no, kidney Dr. said this and this and his exact words "no, that's not correct. These blood tests are getting worse, dating back to the NICU"..bicarbon levels i believe? I was in shock and pure tired at 2:30am...so if these levels were bad in the NICU and getting worse as the months go on? why hasn't the kidney Dr. said anything?
The ER dr. kept saying chronic kidney disease this and that and I kept saying no he has a kidney "DEFECT" and he said no every time..he said it's chronic kidney disease and his chart said it..wth?
I am calling to get the charts tomorrow, I want to know why I have not been told till now?
I am *assuming* it will lead to surgery? I am thinking they were waiting till he gets a bit older? a bit more stable weight wise and health wise? I mean they did just discover the reflux of the bladder/kidneys too...all in all..kidneys=bad..maybe if he had a transplant maybe other issues would be fixed? Poor baby has been on antibiotics for 2 months now..I am wondering if he will build an immunity to the antibiotics? I just can't imagine antibiotics would be good for the rest of his life..or even till he is 4-5 when they either will hope it corrects itself or do surgery.
Either way, I have a lot of questions. My mom is coming to the appt with me so I have someone else to ask ?'s when I am absorbing everything. I have a feeling I will not be hearing good things.
The good thing is, he cooed and laughed when the nurse did the catheter..silly boy. No UTI and the kidneys are still functioning according to blood tests..I am still confused by it all..bodies are so complex. I do know he has not been feeling good. He also lost weight AGAIN..we are back down to 9lbs 14oz.
i'm scared.

#118 ·
oh ericka, what a lot to absorb and work through for you guys.
s to your sweet jennings, i hope you see your way clear to next steps.

ivy, just wanted to say i'm SO glad for you and how becky sleeps! you so deserve that.

charlie is great at night, but is continuing his little to no napping in the daytime. he's just too busy right now, it's exhausting! at least he's not fussy with it, i can't believe he doesn't regularly freak since he's sleeping an average of 1 1/2 hrs b/n 9am and 9pm.

FB, yeah, am i the only one who doesn't FB???
it's a lot for me to keep up with email and MDC, honestly. rhi sent me flckr stuff a while back, and i signed up, but haven't posted anything yet... does FB have private forums? how do the private groups work? IDK, i feel like i spend a lot of time on the computer already... but i'd honestly consider it if it became the only way to keep up with you ladies *sniff*

anyway, i'm another who hopes our thread in LWAB will be like a weekly thread here. maybe there's something i can say in the first post that would discourage others from jumping in at just the wrong moment? i mean, i know people DDCC, and they are certainly entitled to it. but then i think of the bitter sushi ladies who have a TTC and pregnant thread. i don't think anyone gets in their business
. maybe we should ignore anyone who crashes our party...

MDC is the best there is imo, but i'm in the same boat as most of us, too conservative for some and too out there for others - there's just not one template for parenting even in the same style. duh, right? get a grip, mean people! GTG, i like what you said, because real friends can be comfortable with differences. thankfully i have several IRL.

so good to hear how you all are doing! i'm working on the LWAB thread now, so not posting much here, and i've PM'd one of our DDC's moderators to ask for the date we'll be shut down...

#119 ·
Ericka, I am so so so sorry. That sounds so scary. I just can't imagine how difficult this all is for you, but I will have you in my thoughts and prayers.

#120 ·
P&H- I don't think we have to worry too much about people jumping in. Because in the "new posts" it will just show up as the thread title, not what is being said, and who wants to go read through a zillion pages of some random DDC's weekly thread? I read a lot of random posts on MDC, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've read another group's weekly thread.

#122 ·
I love it when babies get diagnosed with conditions they don't meet the diagnostic criteria for.

Mercy also evidently got diagnosed as having "hypoxic/ischemic encephalopathy." IE. Brain damage due to oxygen deprivation. And once again, her clinical course was not remotely consistent with this. Brain damage doesn't reverse itself completely inside of 30 minutes because you put a kid on a diuretic which raises also blood pressure. Sorry!

Freaking morons.

#123 ·
wow lnf. i can't wait to see my records and i'm wondering if i should get reeves since we left ama... although i really can't believe a persons MEDICAL RECORD is indundated with peoples OPINION like that. do all of them write stuff like that? wow.....i really think its time for PATIENTS to have a say in their medical records ON RECORD (maybe survey or patient addition by law they can send to medical establishments?) whew....stepping away from this now.

sme~ doesn't you saying you don't like labels make you even MORE of a posterchild of mdc? :rofl

aimee~ i really like being labeled a hippie. makes me think of people who are at least HAPPY with their choices...jeeze i Hate being happy right?

aw ivy no need to walk away from the sleeping baby er i mean mdc because you got the lucky draw.

erica i really hope that figureing out the kidney disease helps ease all his other ailments. maybe he is so cranky because it hurts? hugs and i know you guys are struggling so much. j's ssi takes care of the rent all by itself? that's a HUGE monthly burden so i'm glad you are seeing some silver linings.

i will try to add everyones blog when i can. thanks for telling me how to do the privacy.

ETA: check my wall for claire. she is friended on FB for me so you can find her!

#124 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenTeaGinger61 View Post
Luckily I just gave up and now have a tougher hide and real friends:p
I love it.

Talking with a friend yesterday about crazy postpartum hormones (she's going on a progesterone supplement to help hers even out) I made the connection that with DD1 i was on the minipill (progesterone only) and didn't have any PPD, but with the other two I didn't bother with the pill and had/have pretty massive mood swings (which spiral into depression). I'm fairly anti-pill, since A) I got pregnant with the first two while on the pill, and B) hormonal birth control has a lot of sideeffects, BUT I'm going to do some investigating. Maybe it's a case of correlation not causation, but it's worth a bit of internet research if nothing else.

#125 ·
Ericka you and J are in my thoughts!

LNF--Medical records are so revealing! I thought it was strange to see personal notes/opinions in them when I got mine.

AFM, I think I'm getting back on the healthy eating train. My body will stop feeling like crap now. I already feel better from eating only whole foods (well, mostly whole foods) the past day.

I feel like MDC can be too judgmental too. I guess I do some crunchy things like no sposies, EC, co-sleeping, homebirth, nursing my 4 year old...
But I'm happy with my choices and I no longer care what others think, or what they do different in comparison for that matter. I never do anything just to fit a label, I do it because it works for us and we like it! When someone (mainly IRL) tries to debate, argue, or says something negative about one of my "extreme" choices I say something positive in return and smile, then walk away.

#126 ·
Ivy, I've thought about that as well, regarding progesterone and post partum mood. I feel best when I'm on an even keel, and I can imagine that the minipill might do that.

Reading these records, I feel like I'm in a Monty Python episode. So Mercy had encephalopathy, but a completely normal head ultrasound at 2 days old. But clearly brain damage. Mercy is the queen of invisible yet DEADLY conditions! Invisible pneumonia, invisible brain damage. Girlfriend is a witch, I tell you. Word still out on whether or not she is made of wood.
Pepper, how much does your lecherous duck weigh? Need to see if Mercy is made out of wood, and therefore floats on the water like a duck, and therefore weighs as much as a duck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.