Mothering Forum banner

Juicy July Chat in the Allergy Forum

23K views 579 replies 22 participants last post by  dannic 
#1 ·
Join us for updates on our trials, tribulations and joys as we Celebrate Juicy July with watermelon and tomatoes and wild berries.

So bring your questions, problems, celebrations and general amazing-ness here.

Pat

See less See more
#552 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Kathy,
that's a lot of stress all at once, take your time with your decisions and try not to feel rushed. If I were in your position, I would be doing low dose naltrexone (LDN) therapy.
http://fourfoldhealing.com/articles-by-topic/
That's interesting. LDN is what my SIL is now on. I can't remember if she's on it for her hashi, her lupus, or her lyme, but I thought it was the lyme. So maybe that would help both. Scarily I'm thinking of prophylactic mastectomies, and though it's certainly not natural or healthy, it seems better than a lot of the other options.

#553 ·
Quote:

I read about mucin in Mark Starr's book "Hypothryroidism Type 2"
http://www.21centurymed.com/?page_id=12

(and he also describes a bladder condition that sounds JUST like interstitial cystitis that is connected to hypoT and his discussion of thyroid's influence on the mytochondria is extremely interesting)

Build up of mucin can enlarge a heart or cause joint or muscle pain consistent with other "we don't know what's causing it" dx like arthritis or fibromyalgia. Puffy hands/feets/ankles and face, esp. eyes. The pictures in Starr's book are interesting.

Another good description and discussion of the mucin arm pinch test is at the website below, you should get skin to skin contact when you pinch, like you would if you pinched the skin on the back of your hand, not a thick wad of tissue:
http://www.prayforabby.com/healing/t...thyroidism.htm

Also I've been meaning to ask you genetically minded mama's if you have come across genetic testing for thyroid resistance? Thyroid resistance is termed as having "normal" thyroid blood tests but your cellular uptake and/or signaling is not working. Apparently there are genes to direct this. Given my family history, I think this is likely. (Damned Irish Famine.) Also Starr does talk a lot about various chemical and metal toxicities causing it as well, really good book.

The IgG test was on different kinds of dairy and the fermented ones were lower or none, such as:

cheddar cheese 0
cottage cheese 3
milk 2
yogurt 1

So I don't know what to do. My dr. and RD want me to elim. all dairy for now. I imagine that makes sense. I have done this before and haven't seen results in and of themselves... but my CRP is elevated, so something is going on we can't figure out.

My insulin, fasting blood sugar, HGA1C and cholesterol are all extremely good. DHEA is okay could be higher, hence adrenal testing ordered. My HDL is slightly low, 39, when it should be over 40. But she said it could be b/c my total cholesterol is only 165. Which is funny given the *ridiculous* amount of cholesterol I have eaten daily for past 5 years.
This is interesting. i have always wondering if I was hypoT but my thyroid tests are always *very* normal. Not even close to not being normal. I don't have a "puffy" look that i can tell but I do fair the arm test, if I"m doing it right. And lately, I've felt "puffy" all over and have gained weight.

Maybe I'll order the book or see if they have it at the library.

#554 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
That's interesting. LDN is what my SIL is now on. I can't remember if she's on it for her hashi, her lupus, or her lyme, but I thought it was the lyme. So maybe that would help both. Scarily I'm thinking of prophylactic mastectomies, and though it's certainly not natural or healthy, it seems better than a lot of the other options.
I've read about LDN helping all three. This is the main LDN site:
http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/

Yes, I saw you mention that about the prophylactic surgery.
All I can say is that sometimes we just have to listen to our intuition and do our best. Even what seems like the "wrong" step can turn out to be the right one as the journey continues.

#555 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Two biggest reservoirs for virus are nasal passages/sinuses and the gut, and hiding out in your DNA. One of the things good methylation does is shut down viruses (by sticking a methyl group on the foreign DNA to inactivate it). So often the detox you see when getting methylation moving is because your body is finally fighting your viral load. We saw it with my son, and he didn't have any obvious viral issues or vaccines (one of the sources of viral load). And then cleaning up the gut can also help (that's where all the digestive supports come in).

I'd follow that viral track with your various practitioners - I *think* you can get a blood titre or nasal swab for strep?? Yasko has a whole protocol to attack chronic strep, fwiw - really common in ASD kids.
So here's another piece. There was a time last winter when *I* got sick and during that time DS did very well. Would my being sick work along the same lines? I doubt it but thought I'd ask.

#556 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
This is interesting. i have always wondering if I was hypoT but my thyroid tests are always *very* normal. Not even close to not being normal. I don't have a "puffy" look that i can tell but I do fair the arm test, if I"m doing it right. And lately, I've felt "puffy" all over and have gained weight.

Maybe I'll order the book or see if they have it at the library.
Crap, I just lost my post, my internet connection has been sucky today!! Why does this always happen on long posts?!

I had my library order a bunch of books including Starr's so if you can link into the Minuteman network you can request to have it when I return it.
Now that I know they do this I'm going to order a bunch of cool stuff. I also ordered James Wilson's Adrenal Fatigue book and Datis Kharrizian's.

Are you taking a good form of selenium?

Have you had adrenal testing done?

Of course nutritional deficiencies and toxicities can be a factor in cellular thyroid resistance, but also there is evidence that both can be influenced by poor thyroid function interfering with digestion as well as detox. Chicken or the egg! I've thought long and hard about it and concluded I would go with my dr.'s rec and see how things go b/c she is really the best I've ever found.

My TSH has always been "perfect", under 2, no antibodies. It wasn't until now that Wedda tested my reverse T3 and total T3 that something unusual came up. But I have been telling dr's for the last 15 years I've had many hypoT sx that have only gotten worse. There is a great deal of doctors which treat by sx first instead of lab results: Dr. Starr only being one. Dr. Langer's book "Solved: The Riddle of Illness" updates Dr. Broda Barnes' work (creator of basal body temp test). Dr. Lowe's site I linked to today in the fibromyalgia thread was very interesting, he is finding most FM patients respond to thyroid supplements.

There is so much evidence that traditional thyroid testing is useless unless it shows bad numbers or antibodies. So many patients go on T4 - Synthroid, which improves their TSH but they still feel like sh*t. Obviously something more is going on and there are studies on "thyroid resistance". But mainstream medicine ignores these and assume that everyone has perfect conversion and cellular communication and are able to stimulate the TSH... because if the thyroid hormone is not getting used by the cells, or the cells cannot tell the pituitary to make more, the TSH isn't going to go up.

#557 ·
Quote:

I'll followup on this. As an aside, does Yasko's protocol involve getting methylation moving? If that inactivates the virus that seems like a key thing to stopping it in the long run.

Also, does the fact that he has chronic congestion point more towards an infection in the sinus' as opposed to in the gut? He's never been vaccinated so he didn't get it that way.
I think Yasko thinks of the gut as the reservoir, and it can reinfect other places. Methylation would help on two fronts, fighting the virus, and fighting chronic congestion. However, many ASD kids get methylation moving and still end up having to take strep on directly - it's an evil virus, hard to get rid of. Does your son have any OCD type behaviors? At least in ASD kids, those are common with strep flares.

Quote:

So here's another piece. There was a time last winter when *I* got sick and during that time DS did very well. Would my being sick work along the same lines? I doubt it but thought I'd ask.
Hmmm. Guessing your body dumped a bunch of stuff into your bloodstream to kick your immune reaction into gear, and some of that may pass through breastmilk, and have given his immune system a boost? Or you passed him some good virus killing stuff directly? I don't think we really understand very well what we pass through breastmilk, but it wouldn't surprise me if we send things to help our babes fight off whatever virus we have

Another possibility is that you have strep as well, and when you got sick, you had a fever and shut down your strep, so you weren't passing on to him? (Don't know if that can be done, just mentally scoping out the possiblities).

I'll go read more on Yasko for you when I have a moment - this isn't one of DS' issues, so I don't have my brain well wrapped around it.

ETA: Oh yeah. DS got stung by a wasp last weekend - 3 different stings, 1 on his belly, one on each knee. Belly was first I think, the second knee was very minor. At the time, he had a very minor reaction - swelling, but back to playing in a few minutes, and they didn't seem to bother him. Gone in a few days. This morning, the belly one is back - there is a red ring around where the sting was. And his knee has a hot swollen red patch about 2 inches in diameter. Any idea what's going on? It's freaking me out a bit - my mom and grandfather are anaphylactic allergic to bee/wasp stings, and the last time I was stung I had a systemic reaction as well. But a week later, isn't that an awfully long time

Edited again - well crap. There's something called serum sickness that happens in about 0.3% of bee/wasp stings. Generalized immune reaction about a week later - anything from fever and achy joints to big rash to swollen joints... Sigh. Why my kid.

#558 ·
Quote:

has there been any concerted effort to test basal body temps with ASD kids?
Thyroid discussion comes up a lot on the vitamin k yahoo group, I think I've seen it mentioned on the autism mercury list as well. Don't know if they're actually testing BBTs but there seems to be a reasonable level of knowledge as thyroid function being sub-par.

So, I feel really icky today. Was worried that my experimentation with the modified citrus pectin had really messed me up, but DS is napping for more than 3 hours (he doesn't nap regularly at all anymore) so I'm thinking we're fighting something off. Blah. This was my weekend to get caught up. Ain't gonna happen.

Following the various discussions with much interest over here. JaneS, your description of the skin on our upper arms being like the back of our hands (supposed to be) is fascinating--mine isn't. I need to test DH. Is anyone's upper arm _really_ like that?

Deb, I don't have any guesses about the red marks that are back. Wish I could help. That does seem like a long time, but when it's the same places, it seems related, I just don't know how.

eta: just saw your update. Ugh.

#559 ·
Well crap. Based on what I'm reading about serum sickness these rashes we're seeing likely precede DS feeling totally crappy - fever, swollen joints, swollen face, hives, itching all over, maybe issues breathing. Treatment can include steroids. And most scary to me, it's not an uncommon trigger for childhood arthritis (which all three of my sibs have).
. OK, second most scary - it also means he's pretty much guaranteed to have a repeat bout of serum sickness, but more severe, and quite possibly anaphylaxis, if he ever gets stung again.

Really? We just got done with freaking whooping cough. OK, homeopathic experts - what would you want to have on hand for itching, swelling, fever, and swollen/aching joints? I'll also get Benedryl and phone my HCP first thing Monday morning for an Epipen.

#560 ·
Deb.

I've lost 3 "friends" on FB in the last week or so. Presumably because of my prolific postings on the plight of indigenous Americans.
I haven't gone through my list to figure out who they are.
If they knew me at all, they'd know that I will get annoyed with all the postings soon and either taper off or stop altogether (and they could hide me until then). Of course, if they were close friends, they'd know my feelings on the matter too so meh.

Tired. Did groceries. Getting ready to make supper. Contemplating. Not sure what yet, just contemplating.

#561 ·
Sorry, Deb, no idea on a remedy.

So, I noticed last night that there was an odd taste to my water. Thought maybe just needed to change my water filter. Today realized- noo, that's dishwasher detergent or something... figured ds1 maybe went overboard with it.
just checked out the dishwasher.. SOMEhow, the rinse reservoir thing (you know- put jet-glo or whatever it's called or vinegar in it?) has been filled with BLEACH.
W.T.F?

#562 ·
Quote:

Well crap. Based on what I'm reading about serum sickness these rashes we're seeing likely precede DS feeling totally crappy - fever, swollen joints, swollen face, hives, itching all over, maybe issues breathing. Treatment can include steroids. And most scary to me, it's not an uncommon trigger for childhood arthritis (which all three of my sibs have).
. OK, second most scary - it also means he's pretty much guaranteed to have a repeat bout of serum sickness, but more severe, and quite possibly anaphylaxis, if he ever gets stung again.

Really? We just got done with freaking whooping cough. OK, homeopathic experts - what would you want to have on hand for itching, swelling, fever, and swollen/aching joints? I'll also get Benedryl and phone my HCP first thing Monday morning for an Epipen.

Since it's from a bee sting, I wonder if apis would still be applicable. I may try to make an appt with someone really knowledgeable, wonder if PB would do a phone appointment?

On the plus side, you're doing great on nutritional support customized for your son, he's going into this better than most who are susceptible.

#563 ·
Eek, Deb. Hoping it's just a mild delayed response and nothing comes of it. True to what Tanya said too.

And ew, JR. Can just throwing the dishes through a rinse work? (Oh, after you get all the bleach out of it? Ick.)

Recall two weeks when I slipped and fell? I went shopping with DH last night and as I walked, that muscle began to bother me again--worse and worse until I could barely walk and touching them uscle caused me to gasp in pain. Got outa there, DH had to lift me into the car, I was crying it hurt so much! Called MW and am to stay down (not bed rest but not up doing stuff) for a week and take it easy so it will heal before labor. CanNOT imagine being in labor with this muscle (the one that stretches across just above the leg and just under the abdomen). I think I would die...
Any homeopathics for this come to mind? I'm using essential oils and frankencense and white fir are really helping, but I had to get up and shower so I could go sit at my grandparents' 62nd wedding anniversary party
and it really hurt it to be up enough to just do that.
On the funny bone side, DH said I was getting a lot of looks in the store and people thought I was in labor. Ha! If I was in labor, they wouldn't have known a thing! I deal with that much better, lol.

#564 ·
deb. Wow.
Yuck, jr!

On the thyroid stuff... I think Dr K blames thyroid resistance on adrenal fatigue? It's exactly my moms issue. We had dinner at her house tonight - a pork butt roast slow cooked on the grill, mmmmmmmmm. Anyway, I tried the arm thing on her, me and dh. And dd, but she said it hurt and ran away
My mom (screaming obvious thyroid symptoms, normal tests, overweight, not much muscle) and I (potential/questionable thyroid symptoms, high-normal weight, strong arms) can pinch a teeny tiny bit of skin, or else it's like an inch and a half or more. Dh (thyroid issues unlikely, super skinny, strong arms) can pinch about 1/4 inch easily.

Dd tried a buffalo bleu kettle chip and liked it. Then peed a million times, including on grammys floor. We also spent the afternoon at the pool, and she was a bit out of sorts all morning. Sigh.

As soon as this round of enzyme die off settles (soon, I hope!), I think we're ditching the elimination diet concept. I've been reading on bloodsugarthinktank about certain cheeses *helping* blood sugar, and its got me thinking about traditional diets. Not like the mix and match that traditional foods seems to become, but like the whole eating culture of specific groups. I'm not quite ready to reintro or even test gluten, but I think we're going to work towards going French, perhaps. Yogurt, cheese, fruit, salami, pate, other organ meats, wine, slow meals, etc. It'll be a fun experiment at the very least!

Eta: oh right, the interesting part of the theory - I'm thinking that people will tend to break in similar was, across centuries, and that the traditional diets have a huge bit of prevention and support in them. So it makes sense to me right now that they would be good for healing as well. And in this moment, that makes more sense to me than an elimination diet does. At least for our situation.

#565 ·
Quote:

Crap, I just lost my post, my internet connection has been sucky today!! Why does this always happen on long posts?!

I had my library order a bunch of books including Starr's so if you can link into the Minuteman network you can request to have it when I return it.
Now that I know they do this I'm going to order a bunch of cool stuff. I also ordered James Wilson's Adrenal Fatigue book and Datis Kharrizian's.

Are you taking a good form of selenium?

I am taking a liquid selenium, sodium selenite.

Have you had adrenal testing done?

Yes, and they are in the crapper

Of course nutritional deficiencies and toxicities can be a factor in cellular thyroid resistance, but also there is evidence that both can be influenced by poor thyroid function interfering with digestion as well as detox. Chicken or the egg! I've thought long and hard about it and concluded I would go with my dr.'s rec and see how things go b/c she is really the best I've ever found.

My TSH has always been "perfect", under 2, no antibodies. It wasn't until now that Wedda tested my reverse T3 and total T3 that something unusual came up. But I have been telling dr's for the last 15 years I've had many hypoT sx that have only gotten worse. There is a great deal of doctors which treat by sx first instead of lab results: Dr. Starr only being one. Dr. Langer's book "Solved: The Riddle of Illness" updates Dr. Broda Barnes' work (creator of basal body temp test). Dr. Lowe's site I linked to today in the fibromyalgia thread was very interesting, he is finding most FM patients respond to thyroid supplements.

I just went to a new PCP. When I asked for a full thyroid panel she told me that the TSH is a very sensitive test and if its in range you're ok. Well, clearly I picked the wrong pcp. Maybe I'll try to get into Wedda but last time I tried I couldn't get an appointment b/c I couldn't get in for a physical b/c her calendar was full.

There is so much evidence that traditional thyroid testing is useless unless it shows bad numbers or antibodies. So many patients go on T4 - Synthroid, which improves their TSH but they still feel like sh*t. Obviously something more is going on and there are studies on "thyroid resistance". But mainstream medicine ignores these and assume that everyone has perfect conversion and cellular communication and are able to stimulate the TSH... because if the thyroid hormone is not getting used by the cells, or the cells cannot tell the pituitary to make more, the TSH isn't going to go up.
What a conundrum. Maybe I should try to see Wedda, if she's still taking patients. At the time I was just too tired to add another long drive.

#567 ·
Quote:

I think Yasko thinks of the gut as the reservoir, and it can reinfect other places. Methylation would help on two fronts, fighting the virus, and fighting chronic congestion. However, many ASD kids get methylation moving and still end up having to take strep on directly - it's an evil virus, hard to get rid of. Does your son have any OCD type behaviors? At least in ASD kids, those are common with strep flares.

Haven't really noticed OCD behaviors.

Hmmm. Guessing your body dumped a bunch of stuff into your bloodstream to kick your immune reaction into gear, and some of that may pass through breastmilk, and have given his immune system a boost? Or you passed him some good virus killing stuff directly? I don't think we really understand very well what we pass through breastmilk, but it wouldn't surprise me if we send things to help our babes fight off whatever virus we have

Another possibility is that you have strep as well, and when you got sick, you had a fever and shut down your strep, so you weren't passing on to him? (Don't know if that can be done, just mentally scoping out the possiblities).

I'll go read more on Yasko for you when I have a moment - this isn't one of DS' issues, so I don't have my brain well wrapped around it.

Edited again - well crap. There's something called serum sickness that happens in about 0.3% of bee/wasp stings. Generalized immune reaction about a week later - anything from fever and achy joints to big rash to swollen joints... Sigh. Why my kid.
Boy, that is scary. I hope it doesn't last long. Is this some new phenomena?

#568 ·
So, if I develop bad computer vibes, can I change this somehow? DH, JUST YESTERDAY! got my new keyboard installed (remember my 'e' problem?)... and it was lovely to use my computer again (on DH's now)... til last night.

(Well, I think it was lovely to use his computer... while I was using it, his screen started going very dim when the lid is at certain angles--only sometimes, and I eventually figured I just need to adjust the angle of the screen of the laptop and it stops... but it apparently never did this before and I haven't dropped it and DH hasn't either)

So last night, no idea what I clicked on, but I seem to have acquired a nasty virus in my computer; I can't open a single application, I get a nasty dinging noise and a 'do this to fix it' message that doesn't help.

Ok, DH got it open in safe mode and was able to start my virus/malware software...
this works...

Shannon, sounds tasty and happy, and plausible. Make sure to include whatever herbs and such are appropriate?

Danni--so sorry, I hope that muscle heals really fast.

#569 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
On the thyroid stuff... I think Dr K blames thyroid resistance on adrenal fatigue? It's exactly my moms issue. We had dinner at her house tonight - a pork butt roast slow cooked on the grill, mmmmmmmmm. Anyway, I tried the arm thing on her, me and dh. And dd, but she said it hurt and ran away
My mom (screaming obvious thyroid symptoms, normal tests, overweight, not much muscle) and I (potential/questionable thyroid symptoms, high-normal weight, strong arms) can pinch a teeny tiny bit of skin, or else it's like an inch and a half or more. Dh (thyroid issues unlikely, super skinny, strong arms) can pinch about 1/4 inch easily.
I can't remember what, exactly, but there's something about cortisol and thyroid hormones and how they interact which can cause problems. Too little adrenal support, in the presence of adrenal fatigue, can cause hyperT symptoms in someone who is actually hypoT.

PS. I REALLY want berries!

#570 ·
Well, DS is REALLY stimmy, and not pooping, but nothing else terrible has happened yet.

Serum sickness used to be fairly common, back when they didn't have vaccines and treated diptheria, tetanus, and rabies exposure with horse serum. It still happens with anti-venom treatments for snakebites and things. It's very uncommon with beestings (0.3%), but I read about several cases in beekeeper forums.

Chlobo, with your genetics, adrenal fatigue and thyroid issues are common, but you likely won't do much more than bandaid them until you get on a LOT of B12. You may still need extra help/support after that to heal your thyroid/adrenals, but I'd give basic organ support and then work on B12.

#571 ·
How long have I been in this detoxification world? I think it's 3 years? And DH didn't "get" that artificial colors and flavors need to be detoxified and use up the same nutrients that I've been supplementing.
He's a great guy, he's really been supportive through this mess, but I have no idea how he hasn't picked that up yet. He bought the kids some gum yesterday, from one of the candy stores where you scoop from bins, like 30 or 40 little pieces, in bright, fake colors. And I feel like the heavy--even though I've mentioned this (he tends to buy candy or a slurpee or something like that on their Saturday morning excursions). I don't want to be the heavy, the bad guy, but it's almost every week that he's getting something like this, and 30-40 little pieces of gum are going to make this an every day thing for days and days.

I guess I hadn't realized just how differently we perceive this whole thing. I have been in charge of researching and implementing, but I thought I'd talked enough that he got the general idea--but I guess not the specifics. Ah well.

Deb, let us know how things go with your DS? What's made stimminess go up/down in the past for your DS? Seems like it's a clue as to what's being thrown out of whack, what nutrients are being used up, pathways strained.
that this passes quickly and doesn't ever, ever escalate into a more serious reaction if/when he's stung again.

#572 ·
Awww, DS is so cute! So, bedtime was WAY late last night because of DS's 4-hour nap, and I tried an earlier naptime today to see if he needed a bit more sleep, but no dice.

*I* still needed quiet time so he was playing on the couch in the play room while DD was in her bedroom, and DS fell asleep. His little head is propped on the arm of the couch, looking over the side (that would give me a horrible crick in my neck) but he's really cute. DD is really quiet too, I am going to go see if she's asleep or not.

Oh, and it's extra funny because after I gave up on him napping in bed, I gave him his comt-- methyl donor supp and a sublingual B12. Really didn't expect him to fall asleep immediately after those.

Makes up for the bickering that was the initial push to have quiet time today.

#573 ·
I finally figured out mayo tonight (yes, it has eggs - sorry folks, but it doesn't have any soy or corn in it, which all the store-bought mayos seem to have) and I made tuna macaroni salad (rice noodles). Yum. Yum. Double yum. It tasted... yes... NORMAL. I had 3 bowls of it. Tomorrow I'm going to make a salad and make thousand island dressing (homemade ketchup, my mother's homemade zucchini relish, and the mayo). I'm trying to think what else I can do with it, since it only lasts for 3 days. Maybe I'll make some bread so I can make a BLT or a cucumber sandwich (which will remind me of my Grandpa). I'm not feeling too creative these days; I have too much else going on in my mind.

I still haven't started the cell salts, or my metals chelating, or the pancreas enzymes. I'm definitely stalled. My back has been spasming non-stop for 3 days and I don't even know why (tell me it's not because I did 2 flips into the pool and swam for 10 minutes, because that would say I'm even more out of shape than I thought I was, but I didn't eat anything odd). DS is stalled for foods. I'm thinking of trying DD2 on something new but can't think what would make life easier or something that she's really missing (except the big 4, and those scare me too much).

I'm thinking about all you guys, and keep checking how things are going for you all, but can't think of anything super supportive to say and I definitely don't have ideas to make things easier. But I'm thinking of you.

#574 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
I guess I hadn't realized just how differently we perceive this whole thing. I have been in charge of researching and implementing, but I thought I'd talked enough that he got the general idea--but I guess not the specifics. Ah well.

Deb, let us know how things go with your DS? What's made stimminess go up/down in the past for your DS? Seems like it's a clue as to what's being thrown out of whack, what nutrients are being used up, pathways strained.
that this passes quickly and doesn't ever, ever escalate into a more serious reaction if/when he's stung again.
Empathy on the gum stuff - I hear you. I tell DH stuff, and he's supportive, but DS is not pooping right now (= give lots of mag and separate from milk). Yeah - no.

Things that make him stimmy, unfortunately, are legion. With the no pooping, I have to suspect mag, maybe B6. Could also be backed up toxins from not pooping, serotonin out of whack, using up more methyl groups than usual, or not enough. Or detox reaction - perhaps from his body's stepped up immune response to the bee stings.

The rash is better today, so I don't know if that's the worst of what we'll get, or we may still get the fever & joint swelling. And tomorrow I get to call our HCP and get an epi pen for a reaction type she's probably never heard of, that should be fun
. I think I may just hedge my bets, tell her he had a systemic reaction to a bee sting, and leave it at that.

#575 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I finally figured out mayo tonight (yes, it has eggs - sorry folks, but it doesn't have any soy or corn in it, which all the store-bought mayos seem to have) and I made tuna macaroni salad (rice noodles). Yum. Yum. Double yum. It tasted... yes... NORMAL. I had 3 bowls of it. Tomorrow I'm going to make a salad and make thousand island dressing (homemade ketchup, my mother's homemade zucchini relish, and the mayo). I'm trying to think what else I can do with it, since it only lasts for 3 days. Maybe I'll make some bread so I can make a BLT or a cucumber sandwich (which will remind me of my Grandpa). I'm not feeling too creative these days; I have too much else going on in my mind.
Tuna macaroni salad. Yum. Is it basically tuna salad plus noodles?
There's talk in TF land about adding whey to homemade mayo to make it a bit probiotic and keep longer. If you could find a tasty ferment juice, that could extend the life a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
I keep getting stuff like that from dh, too. We really just don't see eye to eye on this stuff, at all. He humors me, and has gotten good at it, but every now and then something will come up and slap me in the face with how much we're in totally different places..

I planted a stevia plant a few weeks ago, and just today tasted a leaf. So much fun! Now I want to make a mojito from the yard...

I finally got some mental processing time this afternoon. Not much, but I was so low on it, it counted for a lot
I'm looking at my healing and dd's and what nutrients and supports and what order and what goes through milk vs not. But more importantly, I divided it out into categories. There's the organ support - PNO, sweetbreads, liver, greens for K, etc; and the detox support - Mo, vit C, clay, zinc, mag, etc. Then there's exercise and emotional/mood support. Giving those their own categories really points out to me how much they've been on the back burner with all this. And if dh were in charge, they'd be the ONLY thing to work on. Now that the nutrition is somewhat settled, (and I'm still excited about my healing foods rather than eliminating foods plan) and now that dd is in a place where I can come up with ways to meet my needs for community and socialization, I'm excited to start working on those angles

#576 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Then there's exercise and emotional/mood support. Giving those their own categories really points out to me how much they've been on the back burner with all this. And if dh were in charge, they'd be the ONLY thing to work on. Now that the nutrition is somewhat settled, (and I'm still excited about my healing foods rather than eliminating foods plan) and now that dd is in a place where I can come up with ways to meet my needs for community and socialization, I'm excited to start working on those angles

Interesting - DS and I both have MAO+ genes, which Yasko handles with frequent low dose 5htp. We tried her compounded supp, just 5htp, theramood patch - all made me much moodier, and messed up DS in plenty of ways. DH pointed out to me that I choose to work at home (much less stressful for me than an office), I try to get sleep, I do yoga - for me, I have chosen a lifestyle, rather than supps, to handle that piece for me. How do we do that for DS? And the answer is pretty simple for him - let him be outside a lot, work damn hard to fix anything messing with his sleep, and don't overdo stressful environments. Some things, supps rock for. Others, not so much. Good for you for thinking of some of the pieces you've backburnered for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.