Mothering Forum banner

A thread for the homebirthers!

4K views 82 replies 40 participants last post by  karen1968 
#1 ·
I figured this would be a good place to chat and share our plans/fears etc.

We are planning our 2nd homebirth. However our first we didn't homebirth because of some PTL issues that arose and by the time we made it to full term my DH was a little scared of a homebirth. But our midwife stayed with us through a great hospital birth.

This time we have our own home now and I am really looking forward to having our homebirth. This is our last baby. I"m super excited I will be telling our MW on tuesday

So I know I"m not the only one out there.

See less See more
#77 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I think I'd feel better knowing that if she doesn't make it, I'd be a bit prepared.
Maybe talk to your mw about a Rx for some cytotec? Even though I'm not a fast birther by any means, I had some on hand just in case my mw didn't make it for my last birth. Its pretty cheap and doesn't need refrigeration. From a clinical perspective, I think it works better than pitocin does for bleeding immediately PP.

#78 ·
Metasequoia---How far away is your midwife? And how far are you from a hospital? How fast have your last births been?

While it's definitely good to be safe and prepared, I'd also be worried about self medicating with some pretty strong stuff....that said, I'm in Philadelphia and I live 2 minutes from a hospital, so I'm in a different boat from someone who lives an hour or so....

#79 ·
I would look at homeopathics for hemorrhage - can't recall them off-hand but I know there are resources out there. If you're worried about it, I would also research symptoms and signs of PPH. I think evaluating when there is a need to worry is probably the hardest thing.

I am thinking about getting some homeopathics on hand for birth, too. I sat in on some great sessions with a midwife who has compiled information on when and what to use in birth, and I have wanted to get her info and pick up a few things. Of course, now I can't remember which things I was interested in.

My uterus tends to take its time shrinking down (even after a c/s), so we've been proactive with my 2 home births and done Pitocin with any sign of extra bleeding. It'd be awesome if I could find something effective that wasn't pharmaceutical (and didn't involve needles!
).

#80 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by birthdancedoula View Post
Maybe talk to your mw about a Rx for some cytotec? Even though I'm not a fast birther by any means, I had some on hand just in case my mw didn't make it for my last birth. Its pretty cheap and doesn't need refrigeration. From a clinical perspective, I think it works better than pitocin does for bleeding immediately PP.
I think I will mention my concern & see what she says. She knows her homeopathic remedies too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliversmommy View Post
Metasequoia---How far away is your midwife? And how far are you from a hospital? How fast have your last births been?

While it's definitely good to be safe and prepared, I'd also be worried about self medicating with some pretty strong stuff....that said, I'm in Philadelphia and I live 2 minutes from a hospital, so I'm in a different boat from someone who lives an hour or so....
My midwife is 35 minutes away w/o traffic and if she runs out the door as soon as I call. Considering she has two kids and could be in the middle of something, I imagine it would take her closer to an hour or just under.

All of my labors have started in the middle of the night while I've been asleep. A contraction wakes me up & then it's fast. First labor was 3.5 hrs, second labor was 1 hour from that first contraction to babe in arms and my last labor was 2 hours. Closest hospital is 10-15 minutes away. I wouldn't go to the hospital though, unless the baby had come & my mw still wasn't there & something was obviously wrong with one of us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
I would look at homeopathics for hemorrhage - can't recall them off-hand but I know there are resources out there. If you're worried about it, I would also research symptoms and signs of PPH. I think evaluating when there is a need to worry is probably the hardest thing.

I am thinking about getting some homeopathics on hand for birth, too. I sat in on some great sessions with a midwife who has compiled information on when and what to use in birth, and I have wanted to get her info and pick up a few things. Of course, now I can't remember which things I was interested in.

My uterus tends to take its time shrinking down (even after a c/s), so we've been proactive with my 2 home births and done Pitocin with any sign of extra bleeding. It'd be awesome if I could find something effective that wasn't pharmaceutical (and didn't involve needles!
).
I'll definitely talk to my mw on Wednesday about having something on hand.

#81 ·
I also need to get some stuff on hand for if the mw doesn't get here in time. Mine is 3 hours away or so and my fastest birth was 6 hours or so, so I'm not terribly worried about this one coming fast, but just in case...Also need to get a car birth kit in order for my 1.5 hour car drives to appointments alone with kids! Didn't think about that one!

#83 ·
Ugh, I still need to order. Trying to figure out if I can "break" my midwife's kit, as I have some of the things already (like PP pads, mesh panties, knit cap...)

Our mw provide the pool, IIRC, but I'm not sure if we need to get hoses, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.