Mothering Forum banner

Old Navy t-shirt

6K views 42 replies 35 participants last post by  corrabelle 
#1 ·
Apologies if this has been posted already...

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=771696002

"window shopping" a couple of days ago I came across this onesie. Words fail me...

I'm drafting a note to Old Navy to express my disappointment and explain why I'll be shopping elsewhere from now on.

#3 ·
Whoa! That is horrible! I don't even really understand it, really. Why on earth would they need to state that it is "formula" in the bottle? What about "Milk powered"? Not that they should be putting a bottle in that little starburst thingie. Just so many things wrong with that onesie....

#4 ·
my reaction to this is simply... how strange... and that it also doesn't totally make sense. I am not surprised or angered, though. Maybe I'm just a cynic but this is just indicative of a lot of the terrible decisions being made by people every day. really the dumbing down of society. Lately I have seen a toddler with bahavioral issues being given buckets of juice, frozen pizza and hot dogs in one day. I have also heard about two mothers who "had" to stop breastfeeding at under three months old due to digestive issues... it is sad.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by quietmim View Post
I just reread my post. it sounds awfully grumpy, which in general I am not... that shirt is really, counterproductive, unnecessary, and not helpful...
E.
Actually I agreed with it. The shirt doesn't make me angry, just - I can't understand why they made it, or why anyone would buy it. But I suspect I'm too entrenched in my parenting style....

#9 ·
ok, so I don't like it...

...but could it just be a bad 'sports baby' joke? The shirt kind of made me think of Formula 1 racing (cars), especially with the numbers. I could imagine some designer somewhere thinking it was a spectacular play on words.

I still think the shirt is bad. don't get me wrong!

nak

#10 ·
The gray version says something about a "racing team"- so likely that is all they were thinking about.

It's just too far outside my parenting value set- why on earth would you tell everyone that your kid is on *formula*? Moms that I know that formula feed are all a bit bummed about it...

#11 ·
Oh, I'm positive it's a play on words with racing. We watch a lot of motor sports here. If it wasn't for the baby bottle I don't think I'd even have made the connection! But the bottle changes things...

Quote:
It's just too far outside my parenting value set- why on earth would you tell everyone that your kid is on *formula*? Moms that I know that formula feed are all a bit bummed about it...
This is exactly what I wanted to say, but wasn't sure how to say it politely - you said it well.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
Bummer, I was hoping the link was to a cool, pro-breastfeeding shirt! I was ready to buy!!!
Me too. I was totally bummed out.

I was about to post a negative review on the site, but I'm not signing up for a user account just for that.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heba View Post
So...anyone going to write a review of the product?
I did, under 'Breastfeeding Mama'

#18 ·
I wrote a review too, this is what I said:

I have to express my disappointment in this shirt. Encouraging the use of formula and implying that it is superior nutritionally (formula "powered") is irresponsible. I would love to see a shirt that said "Powered by Mama's Milk". That is something my little ones would wear!

At least they got some feedback, even if it doesnt change much.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodchick View Post
ok, so I don't like it...

...but could it just be a bad 'sports baby' joke? The shirt kind of made me think of Formula 1 racing (cars), especially with the numbers. I could imagine some designer somewhere thinking it was a spectacular play on words.

I still think the shirt is bad. don't get me wrong!

nak
That's how I feel too. I immediately thought of racing, and I don't watch racing of any kind. It just made think of "formula one" and then the play on words. It's a stupid play on words though and I don't like the shirt. But many people in our society would like it and buy it. That's the sad part. I would love if a mainstream giant like Old Navy would have a pro bf shirt for sale!! I'd get it for yet to be conceived dc#3!

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katrinaquerida View Post

I have to express my disappointment in this shirt. Encouraging the use of formula and implying that it is superior nutritionally (formula "powered") is irresponsible. I would love to see a shirt that said "Powered by Mama's Milk". That is something my little ones would wear.
I like this. Spot on.

#23 ·
while I don't agree with the sentiment of the shirt, I do understand why they made it and why people will buy it. Feeding our babies has become a contentious issue, with breastfeeding moms feeling pressure to cover, feed in private, etc. On the flipside, forumula feeding moms feel disapproval for their choices - look at every pro-BF'ing article, and how 90% of the comments are the "I can't BF!" sort. I see this as a reaction to the pro-BF'ing onesies for sale in certain markets. I think it's a way for forumla feeding moms to validate their decisions through their kid's shirt the same way BF'ing moms do.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueLeaf View Post
while I don't agree with the sentiment of the shirt, I do understand why they made it and why people will buy it. Feeding our babies has become a contentious issue, with breastfeeding moms feeling pressure to cover, feed in private, etc. On the flipside, forumula feeding moms feel disapproval for their choices - look at every pro-BF'ing article, and how 90% of the comments are the "I can't BF!" sort. I see this as a reaction to the pro-BF'ing onesies for sale in certain markets. I think it's a way for forumla feeding moms to validate their decisions through their kid's shirt the same way BF'ing moms do.
Well said!

#25 ·
I don't really think it's a big deal. If I had a baby that was fed formula, I might think it was cute. Just like I don't think formula feeding moms should be offended by "I love mama's milk!" type shirts, I don't get being up in arms about something like this. And I understand why a formula feeding mom (for whatever reason they aren't breastfeeding) would get offended reading some of the "reviews" of the product on the Old Navy site.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I don't really think it's a big deal. If I had a baby that was fed formula, I might think it was cute. Just like I don't think formula feeding moms should be offended by "I love mama's milk!" type shirts, I don't get being up in arms about something like this. And I understand why a formula feeding mom (for whatever reason they aren't breastfeeding) would get offended reading some of the "reviews" of the product on the Old Navy site.

I agree with this. It would be different if the baby bottle hadn't been there as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.