Mothering Forum banner

Favorite Exercise Videos?

2K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  beachymom 
#1 ·
One of my faves is Erin O'Brien's Strong Body, Ageless Body. I'm also really interested in good/challenging Pilates videos.

What are some of your favorite exercise videos?

#2 ·
cathe has some great videos- very hard but fun. I have kick, punch, crunch which is a kickboxing type workout.
I tend to like workout videos that are either heavy on the weight lifting or kickboxing. If i do not feel utterly wiped out by the end, then i don't like it. I do not like dancey ones or yoga ones. I have like a few pilates ones, but i can't remember what they were, i got them on netflix.

#3 ·
I am a big fan of Jillian Michaels' videos.
They are intense, have a lot of variety and don't involve dance moves. I also like that she uses a lot of body weight exercises or light to medium weights.

I use Firm videos from time to time. They also are intense and deliver the goods but often involves silly or complicated dance steps that I just don't care for.

I still use my old Tae Bo VHS tapes. Again, super intense, full body, no weights and great results.

#22 ·
Currently loving, in a love/hate sort of way the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred.
Definitely love/hate but it works great. I love that it's 30 days. If I can just get through 30 days.... gives me a goal and deadline to reach which works better for me than just oh I'm going to do X to workout until... I like the deadline. I haven't done the Jillian Michael's (or anything) in a long while but I'm starting my next 30 days with her video tonight since I can get through most of the program before DH gets back home and needs my attention too.

#6 ·
'Fitvidiot' here so I've got maaaany workouts and I love them all dearly!

My #1 is Leslie Sansone, followed by #2 Ellen Barrett (all of her Studio workouts as well as her older Crunch ones).
#3 Pilates and have many different DVDs; I like the '10 Minute Solution' ones a lot because I can use them as add-ons to my other workouts.
Next I like barre workouts; anything ballet inspired ( Ballet Body, Ballet Conditioning, all of the 'Exhale Core Fusion' DVDs!)

Besides that I like traditional hatha yoga but recently started venturing out to Kundalini yoga (Ravi & Ana) as well as Qi Gong (Lee Holden).

#7 ·
I really like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred too. I did it a couple of times last summer and it really got me into shape. I've done some running in the past, but was really out of shape. After doing the full 30 days I was able to go out and run 3 miles right off the bat and it felt great!

It's hard, but so quick. It's over before you know it. My then 6 year old enjoyed doing it with me (sans weights of course).

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post
One of my faves is Erin O'Brien's Strong Body, Ageless Body. I'm also really interested in good/challenging Pilates videos.

What are some of your favorite exercise videos?
Oh I love this one!

I have Cathe Olson's KickMax which is the most fun *ever*. It's about the only workout dvd I have now that I am excited to do.

But I have quite a selection. A few Kathy Smith step aerobics dvds. I have all the dvds that came with the Transfirmer. I have about 4 dvds from Jari Love (strictly weight lifting), all the Women's Health workout dvds, one Denise Austin . . . etc, etc . . .

Strong Body, Ageless Body stands out as does Kick Max but also Train for Your Body Type. My favorite yoga dvd right now is Trainer's Edge Long and Lean Yoga with Baron Baptiste.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiromamma View Post
I am a big fan of Jillian Michaels' videos.
They are intense, have a lot of variety and don't involve dance moves. I also like that she uses a lot of body weight exercises or light to medium weights.

I use Firm videos from time to time. They also are intense and deliver the goods but often involves silly or complicated dance steps that I just don't care for.

I still use my old Tae Bo VHS tapes. Again, super intense, full body, no weights and great results.
I have the Tae Bo tapes! They are HARD! I've only attempted them a time or two. LOL But I bet they'd do the trick. I just wish I had more room in my living room to do all the kicks and such.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pacificbliss View Post
Currently loving, in a love/hate sort of way the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theoldmommers View Post
I really like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred too. I did it a couple of times last summer and it really got me into shape. I've done some running in the past, but was really out of shape. After doing the full 30 days I was able to go out and run 3 miles right off the bat and it felt great!

It's hard, but so quick. It's over before you know it. My then 6 year old enjoyed doing it with me (sans weights of course).
I wonder if this would help me. I've great things about it. The thing is that I don't need to lose weight. I've lost all my baby weight and just need some serious toning which may mean that I will gain a little weight. Do you think the 30 Day Shred will work for me in that respect?

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FitMOmmyOf2 View Post
'Fitvidiot' here so I've got maaaany workouts and I love them all dearly!

My #1 is Leslie Sansone, followed by #2 Ellen Barrett (all of her Studio workouts as well as her older Crunch ones).
#3 Pilates and have many different DVDs; I like the '10 Minute Solution' ones a lot because I can use them as add-ons to my other workouts.
Next I like barre workouts; anything ballet inspired ( Ballet Body, Ballet Conditioning, all of the 'Exhale Core Fusion' DVDs!)

Besides that I like traditional hatha yoga but recently started venturing out to Kundalini yoga (Ravi & Ana) as well as Qi Gong (Lee Holden).

LOL at the Fitvidiot!

Have you heard of Jennifer Kries and if so, what do you think of her Pilates videos?

Do you need a bar for the ballet workouts?

I'll have to google Leslie Sansone and Ellen Barrett!

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post
LOL at the Fitvidiot!

Have you heard of Jennifer Kries and if so, what do you think of her Pilates videos?

Do you need a bar for the ballet workouts?

I'll have to google Leslie Sansone and Ellen Barrett!
That's what we call ourselves over on videofitness.com

I've heard of Jennifer Kires, yes, and actually had a few VHS tapes ~10 years ago when I started to work out at home. I don't have any of her recent workouts (I have other favorire instructors like Susanne Bowen -she's in a lot of '10 Minute Solution' Pilates ones) but I know Jen. K. has a dancer background and find her work to be quite thorough and good.

No bar necessary for the ballet workouts, though some do have one. (I don't as we have no space.) A chair simply works too.

Let me know what you think about Leslie & Ellen!
(For more questions, come on over to videofitness
)

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
Oh I love this one!

I have Cathe Olson's KickMax which is the most fun *ever*. It's about the only workout dvd I have now that I am excited to do.

But I have quite a selection. A few Kathy Smith step aerobics dvds. I have all the dvds that came with the Transfirmer. I have about 4 dvds from Jari Love (strictly weight lifting), all the Women's Health workout dvds, one Denise Austin . . . etc, etc . . .

Strong Body, Ageless Body stands out as does Kick Max but also Train for Your Body Type. My favorite yoga dvd right now is Trainer's Edge Long and Lean Yoga with Baron Baptiste.
Erin O'Brien is probably my favorite person to work out to. I wish she had more videos. I've only heard of her Fit and Firm Pregnancy, pregnancy rehab and Strong Body, Ageless Body (all of which I have), but I would gladly add to her videos.

I'm VERY INTERESTED in Long and Lean yoga with Baron Baptiste! Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm going to have to look into Cathe Olson's videos.

I've never heard of Train for your Body Type. I'll have to look into this, as well.

Which Denise Austin video do you have? I have several of hers and while some are too easy, a couple are a little more challenging. The ones I like are Hit the Spot Sizzler: A Hot, Hot Fat Burning Workout and Burn the Fat Fast: Cardio Dance and Sculpt. These combine aerobics with weights. Admittedly, I have to be a little more coordinated for the Dance and sculpt, but each time I try it, I seem to master a new move--and it's fun.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
Oh I love this one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FitMOmmyOf2 View Post
That's what we call ourselves over on videofitness.com

I've heard of Jennifer Kires, yes, and actually had a few VHS tapes ~10 years ago when I started to work out at home. I don't have any of her recent workouts (I have other favorire instructors like Susanne Bowen -she's in a lot of '10 Minute Solution' Pilates ones) but I know Jen. K. has a dancer background and find her work to be quite thorough and good.

No bar necessary for the ballet workouts, though some do have one. (I don't as we have no space.) A chair simply works too.

Let me know what you think about Leslie & Ellen!
(For more questions, come on over to videofitness
)
I'll have to visit that site! Thanks!

#16 ·
Another vote for T-Tapp. I really didn't think it was "fun" but I can't stand weights and I needed some exercises to help toning and muscle strength without weights. And I love that T-Tapp really, really works for core strength and inch loss instead of focusing on weight loss!!

#17 ·
I am a complete video virgin and do NOTHING to work out right now other than occassional walks. That has to change and I think videos are my only shot (single mother of a 2 year old and I work a lot of hours). Anyway, my big issues (other than the obvious - motivation, time etc) are my tummy (c-section victim) and back (I'm small my breasts are not). I'd love a video that focuses on core strengthening so I can start there and work my way up to more varied work outs. I have some small weights so could incorporate that and I'd like something that is kind of medium in intensity, speed and length right now. Any suggestions? tia

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanny2032 View Post
I am a complete video virgin and do NOTHING to work out right now other than occassional walks. That has to change and I think videos are my only shot (single mother of a 2 year old and I work a lot of hours). Anyway, my big issues (other than the obvious - motivation, time etc) are my tummy (c-section victim) and back (I'm small my breasts are not). I'd love a video that focuses on core strengthening so I can start there and work my way up to more varied work outs. I have some small weights so could incorporate that and I'd like something that is kind of medium in intensity, speed and length right now. Any suggestions? tia
I've found pilates to be great when it comes to strengthening the core. I think some folks have recommended both yoga and pilates videos on this thread. So far I only have experience with Jennifer Kries, but I like her workouts a lot. Also, Tammi Lee Webb has a good I Want Those series that are only 10-15 minutes apiece. I Want Those Abs ROCKS. I love that one and it's something I can fit in if I only have a small amount of time. Good luck to you!

I'm actually going to try to get some streaming exercise videos off netflix to see how I like them before buying. I can't wait to do some of the recommended videos on this thread! Thanks so much to everyone who shared your favorites!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eplatt View Post
Another vote for T-Tapp. I really didn't think it was "fun" but I can't stand weights and I needed some exercises to help toning and muscle strength without weights. And I love that T-Tapp really, really works for core strength and inch loss instead of focusing on weight loss!!
This sounds really good, especially because I don't need to lose weight at this point. I just need to tone. I'll have to try it out!

#21 ·
I like doing the 30-Day Shred video. I will look into the TTapp workout, as I have heard a lot about it.

#23 ·
I also love all the Exhale Core Fusion. I've been doing Physique 57 for about 2 months now--wow, I haven't been this shredded since I was doing triathlons in the pre-baby days! The instructor randomly changes her voice and it is like Jack Black makes a guest appearance in my living room. But I don't mind because the moves are challenging and don't aggravate my knees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.