Mothering Forum banner

k12+/Virtual Schools Fall 2010

10K views 178 replies 33 participants last post by  elanorh 
#1 ·
Hi all!

I suppose it's time to start our K12/Virtual School thread again for the fall. Our boxes o'materials arrived a couple weeks ago and I've yet to unpack them.
The plan is to get the desk all cleaned up and organized before I unpack - start the year well on track! So that's my goal this week (among many other goals of course
).

So - here it is! The support thread for those families who are doing a virtual academy/school (k12 or otherwise) this year - newbies and old-timers are all welcome, we look forward to hearing from everyone! It would probably be nice if we all introduce ourselves a little so everyone knows "who" everyone is.

This is my family's second year of k12. Dd1 will be a first grader this year. We liked kindergarten quite a bit, other than the music program -- really liked our teacher, and liked the flexibility combined with forced accountability for me (I tend to procrastinate, so needing to do attendance etc. really kept me on track!). Initially we thought we'd just do k12 for a year or so, mostly because I was overwhelmed by trying to figure out what the 'right' curriculum to follow would be, for homeschooling independently and k12 was to give me a year to research while still homeschooling; but we are back this year. We do k12 because we travel a lot, which wouldn't be possible if dd1 were in school; and also because she has an egg allergy which the school didn't seem very receptive about when we discussed it with them, and of course, concerns about overall academic theory/focus in the public schools. We very much appreciate that most days, Ina's school takes around 2 hours (sometimes less, sometimes more).

Our WYVA doesn't really start 'til the 24th, but we are thinking about starting to ramp up next week - I'd like to get ahead because dh's Grandma (94) is coming for a two week visit the last week of August and we'd like to spend as much time as we can with her. Also, if I can start ahead and stay ahead, that would mean that we might be able to end 2-3 weeks 'ahead' in the spring - which would allow me (and dd1) to really enjoy getting the garden in and basically do a garden "unit study."

This summer we did a little schoolish work - we did a unit study on butterflies, with a butterfly kit, which was a lot of fun, and we did random math from the first grade math curriculum, since we'd worked ahead far enough that we got that before the end of the K year. Also, we read books from the library all summer, so I think dd1's reading skills are well maintained/improved over the summer. I haven't worked on handwriting at all, and plan to actually do a little review on that this coming week ... Ina wrote a backwards "a" last week signing a birthday card (of course, one that was going to a skeptical family member
).

We are planning to do music lessons (still undecided whether violin or piano) this year instead of the k12 music; we were told that would be an option for us this year. We will either need to rent a scaled violin, or purchase an electric keyboard if we do piano, so either way it's an investment. Ina would like to do both. So my Big Project tomorrow is to go to the local music store and ask them what they charge to rent scale violins (if they do), check out their keyboards, see what teachers they have on list and recommend - I hope to know what we're doing for music by tomorrow evening.

My other big goal this year, is to check out the two local homeschooling groups. We have some friends that the girls play with - but they're younger than Ina, and although she does Cloverbuds and swim lessons/art class, those are more sporadic, less interactive - and the swim lessons are with older kids at this point, too. Ina told me the other day that she really would like to have more friends her own age. SO -- I'll check out the homeschooling groups and see what they're like. I dread it a little since most of the homeschoolers here chose to homeschool because of their religious beliefs, and that's not at all our concern.

I got a lecture from my aunt about when Ina will go to "real" school, this summer. Ugh.
I knew she was opposed to homeschooling, but it still stunk to have the conversation with her.

Our K12 'teacher' emailed today to say that we will be working with a different teacher this fall - she's been assigned to do only 2nd graders this year (last year they assigned teachers to various grade levels so she worked with k-5 I think). This must mean they have more students this year?! Maybe our local gatherings will actually have a few more people in attendance, but we will miss our teacher, who was very flexible and supportive of how we were working with Ina (and didn't make us do any online class time with her other than during her phone calls).

Looking forward to hearing from everyone else - how was your summer, what are your plans/goals?

See less See more
#128 ·
Well I had a conference with dd1's teacher a couple hours ago. We think we have a solution on the math issue. I am completely ignoring the program beyond the lesson objectives and the assessments. I'm using the workbook to give her work to do on the dry erase board, I'm writing her work in the workbook as she does it on the board, and I'm teaching it HER way at HER pace. Meaning, right now we're working on numbers to 1000 because she can count them, read them, and write them easily while her daddy works with her on adding and subtracting them (with carrying and borrowing). Thing with that is, unit 1 is numbers to 500 and unit 8 or 9 is numbers to 1,000 so I'm doing two totally different units at one time. I also was told today that the teacher is 99.9% sure that she's going to be on the list for title 1 services when it comes out next week, and if she's not then she's putting in a formal request. We're also seeing if we can get the LD testing fast-tracked a little bit so she can get services (which will include dropping the phonics program hopefully, she's not a phonics reader). The only negative right now so far is that since she's in lang arts and phonics 1, we can't move up to 2nd grade until she can master the PHONICS material. Part of her issues is that she can't pick apart individual sounds, she has trouble hearing the individual sounds in words (and its even worse when she sounds out a word because of her lisp lol). I printed off the lesson objectives for the first 3 units of lang arts, and thanks to our time with Sonlight the only thing I need to do is the GUM material with her. We're going to fly through the language arts and then sit twiddling our thumbs while she's being tortured with phonics.

So, all that to say that I'm going to keep with OHVA for now to see if the changes we're making will work with her.

#129 ·
Hi everyone. DD1 is in the 8th grade and expressed that she is very unhappy at public school for a variety of reasons and wants to be home schooled, so I just filled out the application for the TXVA. Skimming through this thread I noticed a lot of talk on the lower grades, but I was wondering if anyone has any older kids doing this program? Any tips or advice for someone completely new to this?
I'm very nervous but quite excited, too.

#130 ·
Ok, I kinda feel like we are just bobbing along. I guess I'm unsure of how to prepare. Tomorrow my son starts, so I have three kids in k12 and he has lots to catch up on. How do you prepare? How much do you use the teachers guides?

#131 ·
Serenity I totally rely on teacher's guides normally to teach a lesson. However, right now I'm being forced not to use it at all in math for dd1 and we're choosing not to use it much with either girl in phonics (or language arts) because the girls already have 3/4 of the skills down for lang arts and I find that actually building words with the tiles to review the digraphs we're learning is MUCH more effective. As far as how I prepare, well all I do really is look over the lesson objectives for the basics and then figure out what we need to get out for all subjects (I consider math and lang arts/phonics to be basics here so I spend more time on them daily by default) based on the materials list, and then we jump in.

(pardon if I don't make a lot of sense right now, its 3am and I have no clue why I'm awake but I'm going to roll with it and take the opportunity to do some advance prep for the girls and do some of my college work)

#132 ·
Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great curiculum and we are very happy with PA Cyber. My DD is in K-5. She likes watching the videos, etc., but she knows almost everything already. So she is bored. I've been trying to focus on the concept they are trying to get across and expand upon it. She is reading already and they are teaching beginning phonics. Even when we do the "Extend your thinking" sections, she grasps it quickly and moves on. From what I understand, you cannot skip a grade with them, but you can progress through the program at a faster pace as long as you are covering the information and the student is "getting it". By the time we cover the information though, DD is done with it and doesn't want to do more. So I am not quite sure how to balance it. I guess I should contact her IS and ask for advice or what options we have. Has anyone had a similar experience? Have you moved through the curriculum at a faster pace? I don't want to rush her, but I want her to be challenged and not bored. She said to me the other day, "I can't wait til I am in fifth grade because then I think school will be harder. I like to figure things out more than I have to do in Kindergarden."

#133 ·
OK I have a slight issue. Portfolio for dd1 and dd2 are both due tomorrow. DD2 did hers over the weekend so I just have to scan it and k-mail it to the teacher, but dd1 won't touch the paper to do hers because of the feel of the paper. *sigh* I sent a k-mail to her teacher asking if she can do it on the dry erase board instead, and I just send pictures to show it is her doing it and close-up shots of her writing (if its readable, if not then she'll have to copy it on paper) of the rough, editing, and final drafts. I have a 4'x8' dry-erase board being hung tonight on the school area wall, so she has *more* than enough room to do the entire process on the board.

#134 ·
I apologize for all of the questions and very little support in a support thread. My head is spinning from this big transition to virtual schooling from public schooling for so long.

I finally got the scantron results. My son is in 4th grade but tested above the advanced range for 5th grade in both math and reading (the scale didn't go above 5th grade). His recommended learning objectives in math are 6th and 7th grade items and his only recommended learning objective in reading is to "identify the meaning of a 10th grade vocabulary word presented in isolation." The teacher just sent the assessment over and that's it. I'm hoping that they can provide some enrichment type activities for him. We don't mind doing the 4th grade work because that is what is needed for the state's mandated testing but I'd like to pop in some more challenging items as well. Perhaps the teacher will respond with more information soon.

kittie313 - Good luck with your daughter and the dry erase board assignments. Both of my children have some sensory sensitivities so I can understand the challenges you are facing.

#135 ·
OK do a happy dance with me.................

DD1's teacher approved my having her do the portfolio writing on the board and my taking pictures of the rough, dd2 taking pictures of us editing it, and then my taking pics of her final. She is perfectly fine with the modification since we have the sensory issues, she knows that we're still waiting for all the testing to be done and that anything to get this child working is a good thing.

#136 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopefulmama View Post
Have you moved through the curriculum at a faster pace? I don't want to rush her, but I want her to be challenged and not bored.
We thought about Little Lincoln, but chose to go with K12 because each of the subjects are separate. We have K level for most stuff and 1st grade for other stuff. You should talk to her teacher and let her know the situation. She may be able to reccomend some enrichment stuff or have other ideas available through your virtual school. Good luck!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie313 View Post
OK do a happy dance with me.................

DD1's teacher approved my having her do the portfolio writing on the board and my taking pictures of the rough,
Love it when the schools are flexible and understanding of individual student's needs.

#137 ·
Quote:

Have you moved through the curriculum at a faster pace? I don't want to rush her, but I want her to be challenged and not bored. She said to me the other day, "I can't wait til I am in fifth grade because then I think school will be harder. I like to figure things out more than I have to do in Kindergarden."

WHen we started Math for K it was colors and shapes. Dd2 looked at me like she couldn't believe I asked her such a dumb question and roller her eyes. She's quite a firecracker, lol. So we are moving through it quickly. Most of it she doens't do, I do it, then she does the assessments. Today we hit graphs and stuff, so I didn't do it and we will do it together. Her teacher said as soon as dd2 is done K she will order 1st. We will do the same for phonics.

#138 ·
Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great curiculum and we are very happy with PA Cyber. I guess I should contact her IS and ask for advice or what options we have. Has anyone had a similar experience? Have you moved through the curriculum at a faster pace?
I'm not familiar with Little Lincoln. Sorry I can't be of help. We use k12.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post
I finally got the scantron results. My son is in 4th grade but tested above the advanced range for 5th grade in both math and reading (the scale didn't go above 5th grade). His recommended learning objectives in math are 6th and 7th grade items and his only recommended learning objective in reading is to "identify the meaning of a 10th grade vocabulary word presented in isolation." The teacher just sent the assessment over and that's it.
Welcome! We started the first day of school and we just got our results back as well. Our teacher kmailed our 4th graders results along with a document containing the "indicators" which listed the score ranges through 12th grade. I imagine your charter should have that information available beyond 5th grade since the test is supposed to have no ceiling. You may just want to ask your teacher for that info. I was informed by our teacher that we would be discussing the test results at our next phone conference which isn't for another few weeks so we are in a similar situation. In the meantime we are doing checkpoints (CP's) to assess out and doing lessons as needed. Our teacher did say to just do the unit assessments if DD knows the material and skip the lesson CP's.

Also, check out the ALP (Advanced Learners Program). We are in a different state but where we are they offered lots of enrichment opportunities through our charter (k12 offers them nationally too). For us it was all optional but last year DD had critical thinking classes, special research projects, online theater productions put on by the kids. This year they are offering even more so I'm excited about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie313 View Post
DD1's teacher approved my having her do the portfolio writing on the board and my taking pictures of the rough, dd2 taking pictures of us editing it, and then my taking pics of her final. She is perfectly fine with the modification since we have the sensory issues, she knows that we're still waiting for all the testing to be done and that anything to get this child working is a good thing.
Awesome! Glad to hear they are being accommodating.

FWIW I've used a similar approach with some subjects (math and LA primarily) as you have. I look over the lesson/unit objectives and teach the material on my own. I've done this a lot for our younger daughter as it has allowed us much more flexibility regarding where we do schoolwork. It's a little more challenging with older DD as I'm having a difficult time finding ways of incorporating things like Distributive Law into our daily activities.

#139 ·
Thanks EXOLAX. I asked about the ALP prior to enrolling and so I know a little about it. Tomorrow we will actually have the opportunity to meet with one of the certified gifted teachers at the LEGO Robotics Club for the school. My son is so excited that he's old enough to participate with the "big kids" (ages 9-14).

I will have to ask the teacher for the score ranges through 12th grade as it is hard to estimate where he'd fall based on the 3-5 ranges only. I get the feeling that my teacher is a little overwhelmed right now but I will definitely follow up with her. I like what you are doing with regards to the checkpoints and I think we'll start that tomorrow. Right now he is working on greater than and less than up to 10 million and while enthusiastic about learning he keeps giving me the "c'mon mom" look. hehe

Again, thanks for the info!

#140 ·
Welcome, PurpleSage -- I think you might have one of the older (if not oldest?) kids on our thread - last spring I met a family whose eldest was in 8th grade in the k12 program for our state and per their description, it was *great.* They were really happy with it. They said that the math was much more challenging than the math he'd been doing the year before in school (IIRC, they actually ended up having to teach some stuff from the 7th grade course to him, because k12's curriculum was substantially ahead of where he'd been at the end of 7th grade in the public school -- I think k12 sent the 7th grade work for him to work through the end stuff on his own before he started the 8th grade stuff?? I'm not sure).

They were loving the curriculum for him, though. As kids get older, there is more and more interaction with the k12 teachers, and he felt he was really learning a lot from his k12 instructors.

Hopefulmama, if Little Lincoln works at all like k12, you'll probably be told that you can "assess out" by doing unit assessments - and then move into first grade level work after that (in k12 you can do it for individual units - so for instance, my dd moved into first grade math in March last year but was still doing K science last year)....

for MyTwoA's - this thread is for questions and support! So your questions are exactly what the thread is for. A bunch of us were flying blind 'til this thread last year (EXOLAX's knowledge as a returning k12 parent was really helpful last year!).

We got behind while Great-Grandma was here -- and with just adjusting to school, I think. I'm caught up/ahead in Science/Phonics/Music, but we're 3-5 lessons behind in LA, Math, Science, Art. I think we'll do some school Saturday and that should get us a lot closer to caught up.

I'm not a fan of the MathPlus stuff - how do the returning parents feel about it? I liked being able to click through the old version and pick which activities to do (instead of having to click through the whole lesson to do it) - I dislike needing to print the assessments to do those (I don't). And even though Ina knows a lot of this stuff, it seems like so much more is predicated on scores on earlier work that there's no way I can cancel out the lessons we'd already done in the old first grade curriculum that I can see.
Am I missing something??

#141 ·
Well, it took dd1 a grand total of 15 MINUTES to do her portfolio writing once we got home from karate with her being on the dry erase board. I got pics of her rough, pics of the editing I did that I went over with her (most of it was she misspelled names of friends), and pics of her final draft. ALL on the board. I'm loving this........... And now she's doing some math review of 2 digit addition on the board with the base 10 set and place value mat. This weekend my h is going to go over subtraction with her in detail, spending a couple hours tomorrow morning I think working with her before we take them all to MILs overnight. (I have the most awesome weekend scheduled, my bff is coming over to watch the girls tonight for a couple hours so mommy and daddy can go out on a dinner date for the first time since MARCH, and then tomorrow they all stay the night with MIL because we're going to a wedding and the kegger, erm I meant reception, afterward, its dd1's birth dad that is getting married and dd1 said she'd rather stay with grandma instead so we're having an awesome kid-free weekend for the first time in a looooooong time)

Now I just need to scan in dd2's portfolio piece to submit to her teacher and I'll be set. She's throwing a little hissy fit about dd1 getting to do all her work on the dry-erase board like she is so we're going to get a second one next payday for her to do her work on.

#143 ·
ok Fun weekend is over. lol The friend getting married is dd1's bio-dad and he's been dating her on and off for 14 years (didn't want to get serious until he felt he was stable enough for a family). She had given up on ever marrying him, so his Valentine's gift this year to her made her scream and faint because it was such a surprise. Anyway, back to school-related stuff.............

I got an e-mail this morning about a free info session online Wednesday for FREE TUTORING face to face for kids in math, language arts, and reading. I don't know if that means dd1 is in Title 1 now, but I do know that today they released the list of Title 1 kids. So I'm going to this online info session, and if I can get her tutoring I am going to be all over this. Especially since the person I'm trying to convince to tutor her for money just got married on Saturday and she is a bit busy with getting used to married life (obviously they are VERY good friends of ours, she has a Master's in elementary education with a specialization in LD teaching but works PT at a dollar store because she likes that work better, she tutors on the side and does homeschool portfolio reviews). Tutoring for free, yep I'll take it if I can get it for her.

#144 ·
Ack --

Ina has an eluminate session NOW and I can't find the link. Her old teacher had a link on her email signature so I could go via that; new teacher doesn't, and it seems like someone had told us that there would be a clickable link on the home page to go straight to the teacher eluminate sessions too - can't find it.

Does anyone know what I need to do (other than kmail her teacher and ask for the link, which I have done?)?

Cat, sounds like a good weekend.
Glad the dry-erase board is working so well!!

#145 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
Ack --

Ina has an eluminate session NOW and I can't find the link. Her old teacher had a link on her email signature so I could go via that; new teacher doesn't, and it seems like someone had told us that there would be a clickable link on the home page to go straight to the teacher eluminate sessions too - can't find it.

Does anyone know what I need to do (other than kmail her teacher and ask for the link, which I have done?)?

Cat, sounds like a good weekend.
Glad the dry-erase board is working so well!!

Elanorh- dd1's teacher gave us a .pdf class connect card with a link to her classroom for this year. Did yours give you a similar card by chance? DD2's teacher didn't give us one this year, nor did she last year for both girls, so this is a new thing for me to have one of those.

#146 ·
No card ....

She did kmail back quickly enough that I was able to use that link. I just need to keep track of that kmail.

ETA:
Just finished some phonics. I don't know WHAT is going on with Ina and Phonics.
She does struggle a little more with spelling - I sometimes have to remind her to picture the word in her head before she writes it. But mostly, it seems like she's simply not attentive. I ask her to spell "Mash," she spells "Match." Dutch becomes "datch." I ask her what sounds "a" makes and she reviews them all, then says, "Ooops!"

It's like somebody hit her over the head!! This is not what she was doing in early Phonics lessons this past year. She literally couldn't seem to remember what letter makes the "ks" sound when we were doing that part of the assessment. She has been able to do that since about November of last year with no problem at all!!! She does have a little cold but seems to function just fine with running, playing, building large lego structures etc.

We are *still* writing super-large letters, too. She's doing better at using capital letters appropriately and writing sentences with capitals for the first letter, appropriate punctuation at the end.... Having helped with her CCD class on Wednesday, I can confidently state that the messy writing she has fits right in with the other first graders who were there (from schools all over the county). So I'm probably being a bit too anal about it. But, she still doesn't see any reason to write small; then overlaps letters to the extent that I need her to spell the words to me because I can't read the sentence with parts of the sentences above and below it impinging on the sentence.

So, my plan now is to make some graph paper and we are on our own, going to start working on how to plan ahead to make letters the appropriate size when "filling in the blanks" on her Phonics assessments etc. I figure, if I have her color in a square for each letter and space in the sentence, then write the letters in the squares beneath that, that should be a good way to start reinforcing that. I think we'll alternate between that and HWT every day and maybe we'll make more progress on this.

I still don't know what to do about the "Blah, don't feel like focusing, think I'll twist and fidget and write things down wrong which I know I'm writing wrong, just because I don't feel like doing this," attitude. One solution would be to do this seated at the table - but our table is bench seats and not so easy for me to sit with her at. Once dh's office is finished, we'll order a table/chairs for the girls to sit at to do school work, and that will help. I'd far rather sit on the floor to do the phonics, but Ina doesn't seem to work well that way at all.

#147 ·
OH MY GOSH! I just have to share, I'm having the biggest warm fuzzies right now and want ya'll to join in my happy dance.
lol

At 11am I got a call from OHVA's at-risk department. I spent 45min talking with her about dd1's learning challenges and what is going on, and how we've been waiting so long for testing with Children's, and she said that definitely she needs intervention and more help and asked me to k-mail her with a background of dd1's learning and sensory issues, specifically asking them to do testing. She said as soon as she gets it that she'll print it and take it across the hall to the psychologist who handles it all, and they will get the ball rolling and should have an IEP or 504 in place within a couple months for her. WOOHOO!!!!!

#148 ·
That's great news Kittie313 - is OHVA set up like a charter school? If so I'm pretty sure that they have to follow IDEA 2004 regulations and if so once you put a request for evaluation in writing, the assessment must be completed within 60 days. It sounds like the individual in the at-risk department is on the ball, yay!

#149 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post
That's great news Kittie313 - is OHVA set up like a charter school? If so I'm pretty sure that they have to follow IDEA 2004 regulations and if so once you put a request for evaluation in writing, the assessment must be completed within 60 days. It sounds like the individual in the at-risk department is on the ball, yay!
Yep, OHVA is a publicly-funded virtual academy for the state of Ohio. I have to follow all the rules for attendance and testing that the local b&m schools do and they give me curriculum and computers and such for free to use. I was told at our local ps when dd1 was in k that they can't do anything legally unless a child is in 3rd grade and 2 grade levels behind in at least 2 subjects (her teacher told us this) and that submitting a request was pointless before then because of that law so I waited so long because of this. Then when I found out otherwise last school year, I thought that I'd have to do the testing privately because its a virtual academy and they didn't have the ability to do testing, which I learned otherwise just last week. So, now I have things going. The at-risk coordinator responded already to my written request, and said that the person who does testing is out of the office for KRA-L testing until Friday but she'll have it first thing that morning she's back in office and she'll be in touch likely that day, Monday at the latest. Its a good thing the change to our cell phone plan doesn't start until Oct. 7th, as I used almost all our minutes for this month already and am about to start on the pile of rollover minutes we have (no house phone) to start the process. Hopefully they can fast-track it to do as much as possible before the 7th so that I can handle most of the phone calls without overage charges (right now I have 3400 rollover minutes, but the 7th our rollover drops down to 500 rollover with 500 shared minutes because we changed our package).

But on a positive note, today I tried writing her math work that's in the workbook she refuses to even look at onto a plain white sheet of printer paper and she did 3/4 of them today without fighting me any. And we got lang arts and phonics done too. I decided today that I was only going to spend 1 hour working on her math instead of going until she could pass the assessment, so we only got about half the work done today with her math. I got a full day in with both girls, and no real fighting from anyone about it.

#150 ·
We are a month into K12, and I am thinking about jumping ship. I am feeling very constricted. The only thing my son wants to do is math because that is the only subject that is challenging him. I do a lot of supplementing in the other subjects to engage and challenge him, so I am in essence virtual schooling and homeschooling. That is time consuming and tedious. And, there are things my son would like to study and do, but we don't have the time because of what we have to get done with K12.

Ugh. Anyone ever feel this way and stuck with it?

#151 ·
OK I am ready to beat my head on a brick wall I think. I just spent 15min with dd2 working on the place value stuff in math 1, and she not only got it right away but also grasped expanded form and carrying at the same time. UGH!!!!! I tested her out of a unit and called it good, then tonight dh said he'll go over addition and subtraction facts with her as usual to help her memorize them (she knows how to do the basic facts already so now we are memorizing them, we want her to be able to pop off the answers instantly before she hits math 2 after seeing how dd1 is struggling with that stuff). But anyway, dd1 sat in on my little lesson with dd2 and now she's got expanded form for 2 digit numbers down pat, so when I do her math lesson this afternoon we're going to attempt to do 3 digit expanded form and place value to see if she's open to it at all, and then continue with adding 3 digit numbers. I swear, how can two girls who are just 12 months apart be at opposite ends of the learning spectrum like this? And to make it more fun, dd2 is the one who was born early, the one that we were warned may have all the learning problems later as she started school. I think doctors are flipping idiots............ OK rant on that over, I just needed to get it out because I can't say it out loud until late tonight when the girls are all asleep and dh and I can slip outside for me to unload it all on him.

I am REALLY frustrated with it though right now, obviously. Hopefully we can get dd1 past this brick wall soon so she can move forward and possibly even start to take off with math and remember what all we worked on last school year. Her reading appears to be starting to take off a bit, so I don't see why math can't too.

And I'm probably going to get in trouble next week for our hours, especially with dd1. But thankfully, I have documented communications with her teacher and the SN department and the SES department about dd1 shutting down and refusing to even try to do lessons, and our having been sick the first 3 days of attendance and having to call 2 vacation days because of dh's work schedule (we always try to take days off lessons when he is scheduled off so that he can spend time with his girls outside of structured academics). If you deduc those hours that we missed that the teachers are aware of, we aren't really behind on hours as much as it is we are actually a couple hours ahead. But I don't know if they will take those into account or not, so I need to k-mail some teachers and ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.