Mothering Forum banner

He is so mad about child support!

7K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  Marsupialmom 
#1 ·
He just said, "I just can't believe that once they are out of daycare I'll be paying you $12,000/yr to just do with what you want."
I'm speechless. I'll be buying their groceries, buying their clothes and shoes, buying school supplies and paying for lunches at school, taking them for haircuts and buying them their toys. They'll live with me most of the time so I'll be paying for a roof over their heads and electricity and gas and water and internet for their school work.
WTF does he think I'm going to be doing? Sitting around and eating bon bons? Honestly. This is THE thing that is going to drive us to mediation...his little penny pinching, can't stand to give me a dime, petty BS. He's trying to nickle and dime it to death and try to control how I spend his child support. He's crazy.

#27 ·

#28 ·
Did I miss something? Why is your children's father allowed to wait until the children are out of childcare to start paying childsupport? Seems he would have to start paying once you have an agreement in the court?

Help me here?

#29 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post
Did I miss something? Why is your children's father allowed to wait until the children are out of childcare to start paying childsupport? Seems he would have to start paying once you have an agreement in the court?

Help me here?
He doesn't. He just knows it will be recalculated when they are out of daycare and that more money will be coming to me then. He also knows that, right now, every penny he sends goes to pay my half of daycare. [Since the newest calculations of his anticipated child support (he's not paying yet; he's just paying daycare right now cause we are still living together and that's what we've agreed to do), I'll actually be having to pay an additional $75/mo on top of what he's paying in child support to cover my half of daycare.] Once they are out of daycare then I will actually have that money in my pocket to spend on the kids clothes, food, etc instead of having to do it all myself. He thinks that $500/mo for 2 kids is too much.

#30 ·
I was reading through all of this and started feeling a little less alone. Thank you!

On that note, my ex told me I am a greedy B***h because I filed for food stamps and medicaid. When you file for those as a single mom, you are required to contact child support enforcement down here, so I did. He was ordered to pay half the child care because we were working on 50/50 custody at his request.... now he is paying nothing at all.

#32 ·
Ditto.

My XH has 4 kids by 4 different women, and has never paid a dime of CS. His first DS was adopted by another man, so no CS there. He bullied his second DS' mom into giving him custody and CS by holding something over her head. He's is arrears for 10K for his third DS but since he lives in another province, all the government has done is seize in federal income tax return. And for DD, he recently said he "didn't know" he had to pay me CS because *I* "didn't tell him that I won sole custody".....poor ill-informed him. He has claimed to make a payment arrangement with the CS office, but doesn't yet know that the amount will be garnished directly off his wages. I'm waiting to see how badly the cow manure hits the proverbial fan when he finds out.

#33 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfasianmomma View Post
Ditto.

My XH has 4 kids by 4 different women, and has never paid a dime of CS. His first DS was adopted by another man, so no CS there. He bullied his second DS' mom into giving him custody and CS by holding something over her head. He's is arrears for 10K for his third DS but since he lives in another province, all the government has done is seize in federal income tax return. And for DD, he recently said he "didn't know" he had to pay me CS because *I* "didn't tell him that I won sole custody".....poor ill-informed him. He has claimed to make a payment arrangement with the CS office, but doesn't yet know that the amount will be garnished directly off his wages. I'm waiting to see how badly the cow manure hits the proverbial fan when he finds out.
Congrats on that! I have an appointment tomorrow morning with an attorney to try to get all of this worked out. We'll see how it goes, and how the hell I am gonna afford to pay her. But she accepts payments, so...

#34 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post

Help me here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
He doesn't. He just knows it will be recalculated when they are out of daycare and that more money will be coming to me then. He also knows that, right now, every penny he sends goes to pay my half of daycare. [Since the newest calculations of his anticipated child support (he's not paying yet; he's just paying daycare right now cause we are still living together and that's what we've agreed to do), I'll actually be having to pay an additional $75/mo on top of what he's paying in child support to cover my half of daycare.] Once they are out of daycare then I will actually have that money in my pocket to spend on the kids clothes, food, etc instead of having to do it all myself. He thinks that $500/mo for 2 kids is too much.
I'm confused too, since where I am, cs is based on a % of income, and child care is NOT based on income - its just half the cost (or it might be split based on how much each of us make), but child care is in addition to the cs they would otherwise be required to pay. So, what that means, is that once my ds is out of childcare, I'll be getting less money than I'm supposed to be getting now. (I'm not getting it b/c of a lag in the court process and my ex's refusal to search for full time paid work).

#35 ·
Our parenting plan says that STBX pays X amt (determined by the state) of CS and that we split daycare costs (independent of the CS). I cannot afford all my bills and house payment and half of daycare, so right now every penny of CS that I receive will go to pay my half of daycare. STBX knows that. Once I don't have daycare to pay (which will be years from now), I'll have that money to actually spend on things like clothes and shoes, etc.

#36 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
Our parenting plan says that STBX pays X amt (determined by the state) of CS and that we split daycare costs (independent of the CS). I cannot afford all my bills and house payment and half of daycare, so right now every penny of CS that I receive will go to pay my half of daycare. STBX knows that. Once I don't have daycare to pay (which will be years from now), I'll have that money to actually spend on things like clothes and shoes, etc.
I get it. So the dollar amt won't actually change, you'll just be able to use it differently. Makes sense. Me too though, daycare is expensive.

#37 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
Well, I htink part of it is also here is this large lump of money that they are giving for the raising og their child and they have no say in how it gets spent. No control over it. I think my xh would feel better about giving me money if he could tell me exactly how to spend it.
How to spend it? Like you won the lottery or something?

I don't know about you ladies, but it's not like I'm getting rich off of child support. Every penny is spoken for. As long as the NCPs can see that their kids are fed and clothed and cared for, they should butt out.

#38 ·
I think sometimes the child support payer does need to see were the money is going.

Many noncustodial parents do not realize how expensive their kids are.

They do not see the $20 for lunch, the $40 for new shoes, the inch they grew and the new pants, the cold that cause $50 in doctor and meds, $100 calculator, et

They do see bigger things the custodial parent does. One of my dh coworker ex just got a boob job. Then asked him $100 for hockey. Yes, he feels perplexed if she could afford a boob job why can't she afford $50 for hockey nor help do the volunteer work to reduce the amount owed. My dh did defend his ex on the $100 winter coat. His coworker didn't get how expensive it was because he wasn't doing the shopping. Even though we agree his ex should be a little more froogle ($50) jeans for a growing 12 yo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.