Mothering Forum banner

October should be spent chasing the Naughty Dingos

17K views 553 replies 29 participants last post by  Nickarolaberry 
#1 ·
This is the thread for all interested in forward motion, from very beginning runners to Boston qualifiers, and all in between. We love to chat, running and otherwise, so be prepared to jump in and move fast if you're new! Some of us have met each other IRL, others are just online people. New people are welcome all the time.

Usually DrJen maintains a race list....

Since some of us have met in real life, and that necessitates exchange of personal information, we sometimes communicate via a yahoo group to coordinate addresses, etc. that we might not want to post out for the whole world to see. We still use that yahoo group, we let new members in (fairly freely), but keep it private. If you want into the group you basically have to PM me or mamabeth (or whoever the third moderator is, I forget) and you're in. There's not a whole lot of traffic on that, but you will see us occasionally refer to the yahoo site/email/group).

Someone suggested I wrote this. I'm sure it is not all mine:

Dingo n. An MDC mama (or soon-to-be mama, or mama in her heart) with the desire to move forward at a run or walk. She supports her fellow dingo in each dingo's quest to find balance and reason in her life.

Requirements to become a dingo: Posting on this thread goals for the day, week, month, year, or decade. OK if starting couch to 5k or running and ultra marathon.

Identifying features of a dingo: Posts often here, facebook, daily mile. Starts to get antsy during extended time off for injury or sickness. Found on the road, on the dreadmill, in the pool, or on a bike.

origin of the term: Naughty Dingos on Tour

See less See more
#477 ·
Hey Ladies, Love reading along. I hope all of you in the Midwest are okay. I've been reading about all those storms and it sounds awful. We are experiencing nasty, sticky, windy, super-super-super dry weather. I feel like everything is coated in dust. When my dog runs, there is a tunnel of dust that lingers in his wake. Blech. The rain keeps almost making it too us but stopping before my little town. It's dry as bones.

My oldest (10yo) is the dawdler. He just does.not.transition.well at all. Never has. This is partly why we go so few places. It's not worth the hassle. I am always looking forward to the time he can stay home alone. He is all home-body and I am all go-girl. The only thing that has worked with us if I make him come downstairs dressed before he does anything. Then he is ready for an hour or so. He hates it and this doesn't happen very often. When it does, it is so peaceful.

FM: Testing for my next belt level of TKD soon, so I'm practicing for that right now and trying to not pull that muscle in my groin. I am slowly working it but it is a v-e-r-y s-l-o-w process. I have friends who are training for Reiki and I am wondering if I should try that. Also, my TKD instructor has offered to work the muscle but I am just not sure how comfortable I can be with this very, very tall, former football star, world TKD champion massaging that particular intimate area. I feel the need for a professional in a professional setting if I have to go that route, iykwim. Not sure massage is the ticket anyway. In the meantime, the yoga classes are going well and I am doing lots of pigeon to work it out. Still hope to run one day...

I *think* after a year and a half, I may finally be creating a niche for me here. I am beginning to feel rooted and connected. At yoga, someone delivered me home-grown pinto beans delivered from her friend's farm in Minnesota, and another lady told me my bulk order of rice is in, I just felt it. Part of a group, at last. Belonging.

Eksmom, you are in my heart, on my mind and in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so glad you he validated you. This is movement in a positive direction.

Plady, I, too, wish I could see your play. Sigh. I will be there one day. I will I will I will.

Geo, are all the votes in?

Jooj, thinking of you, too, as you explore spiritual issues. Call or text me anything anytime!!!!

Love reading all your running reports and feeling a vicarious part of your running lives.

#478 ·
Hi dingos! I might be hanging around a bit again...

I probably won't get a run in today, but I will get 3.2 miles of walking. I guess that counts for something! Oh, and today is a lifting for biceps day. There is my RR.

Regarding morning dawdling, our problem is kind of funny... We have our mornings down to a science time wise, except.. DD started changing her bowel habits so she doesn't have to poop at school. So now she is pooping after breakfast, and we may have to set our alarms earlier to compensate!

We walked to school this morning in the snow!
It was so much fun. I didn't think I was ready for this weather yet, but I guess I am!

#479 ·

I'm really tired. Luckily I fly to Atlanta tomorrow for a conference....

(Mamabeth, you're in Atlanta, right? If you wanna go for a run or grab coffee I'm at Ye Olde Religion Conference downtown somewhere Thursday night to Monday afternoon... drop me a PM!) (Or any other GA dingos!)

The benefits of a later afternoon flight: I had to cancel classes, and thus have time to pack and run and edit my conference paper a bit. I love/hate conferences - I really enjoy the social stuff but get exhausted by everything that there is to do. And I miss the kiddos something fierce.

... must go tie up loose ends; I'm reading personals and
and
as appropriate.

#480 ·
All about me because I'm so
that I can't keep up with anyone but myself right now.

2/4 four hour classes done for the week. At least no more assignments, but two tests. Just trying to hang in till the weekend since DS is going to Ohio with XH, so I can hopefully get a lot of stuff done while he's gone.

Interviewed a good nanny candidate this afternoon, and I liked her. Elementary ed degree, but no jobs to be found. Seems to understand what the job does (and does not) involve and that I want a commitment until I'm out of school. I'm interviewing someone tomorrow whose life situation seems to be a better fit, but I really liked this one, so I guess we'll see...

rr~Went for a run after class with a friend, but she started having some knee pain a mile and a half out, so we walked it back. Not exactly what I was planning, but at least it's forward motion, right?

#481 ·
Quick, somebody talk some sense into me. I'm seriously thinking about signing up for the Colfax marathon in May. Between early reg and a discount code I have, I could sign up for $60. SIXTY DOLLARS. For a FULL marathon! Clinical schedule for Feb could make training VERY difficult. But...close to home. Cheap. And did I mention cheap?

#482 ·
Do it Gaye! For that price, heck yeah!

Just cleaned a mountain of barf off the sofa where DS "was" sleeping. Looks like our trip to Illinois may not be happening tomorrow. Sigh....

Off to scrape the sofa cushions. And I was sleeping too....

#485 ·
Gaye you started one post woth how busy you are and nanny worries and finished up by signing up for a marathon. I romise you I want to do another but... whoa. Just keep your big goals in mind and manage the pressure you put on yourself so that it life can go along smoothly and enjoyable for you. With that put of the way, you go girl!

I woke up 30 minutes early, fell back alseep, and then woke up 30 minutes late to run before school. Luckily dh doesn't teach on Thursdays so I'll go after I drop them off. Right now it is really time to pack lunches and find clothes and all sorts of evening chores I didn't do last night. In my defense I had to staff the pool for the swim team and dh took ds to Btown for the IU v Butler soccer game for his birthday. At least he didn't mind a consolation prize 2 weeks late. We had planned to rock climb but illness and broken feet and... It didn't happen. Ack! 6:30 I promised to hot roll hair 3 dds and peg the jeans for 80's day at school!

#486 ·
Gaye, you crack me up. But there's something to keeping busy! I had a conversation with one of my students this week who is taking 18 credits next semester, and figuring out how to manage all of her sports and religions and fine arts stuff... and she said, kind of conspiratorially, "I like to be really busy." And I nodded and smiled and said I do, too.
Much, much better than having not enough to do.

#487 ·
I got my highest GPA when I carried 20 credits, my lowest when I carried 13.
Go figure, right? Go for it, Gaye, but get ready to lose your mind.

I didn't work out yesterday. Instead watched a live broadcast of my beloved teacher who's in declining health.
It was tough but good, and has me further contemplating whether I am doing right by my family right now...and whether there is a reasonable way to extricate myself from some of the stuff that's tying me up. And whether I am honestly expressing who I am in my life, or making compromises that are contributing to the ache in my heart. And what is out of pride, and what is out of sincerity. I know, right? Sheesh.

And I have a spare kid this AM, so no Y until later. Going to make them an awesome breakfast and try to have a chill day off school, and somehow still get some paid work done.

So happy to see so many Dingoes around. You ladies have been such inspiration to me for these years. I just love you.

#488 ·
jooj ~ difficult questions, all around
. I'm also one who does better when I have more on my plate (but when I burn out, it's a serious crash).

DS still isn't feeling too hot. I'm finding vomit in all kinds of awful places (doorframe? wall?) Meanwhile, I'm feeling a bit queasy, but it might just be a result of the smell and all the cleaning I've done already.

I guess we'll be hanging out at home today. Depending on how DS and the rest of us feel this afternoon, we may or may not head to Illinois. I'd hate to be trapped in DH's crummy apartment with a stomach virus. DS is really disappointed. It's his birthday weekend and we had so many great plans for Saturday in St. Louis.

And it's a given that there will be no FM today... again.

#489 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
And what is out of pride, and what is out of sincerity. I know, right? Sheesh.
That is such a resonant question. Im finding it interesting, especially entering "mid-life", how I evaluate my life along lines of should vs. sincerity, being needled by pride to do things that may not be genuinely true to me
.. but then what's true to me is a whole 'nother biq question - blork

mommajb - so true/funny about not wanting your kids to be from there. I think, not infrequently, that my kids MUST do well in school (as in, I'm going to end up being that pushy mom) so that they can leave for college

Lofty - so glad to hear you are feeling that sense of belonging. I have found too that it takes 18 months whenever I move to get that feeling

Gaye - have you heard the expression "the more you do the more you do" (and its inverse..) Go for it!

Nic - I love that expression too "well behaved women seldom make history", but then lately I'm also really liking another bumper sticker; "Maybe the hokey-pokey really is what it's all about"
Glad the Sasquatch didnt see you

Jaygee - BLEH
Im SO sorry!! I hope he rebounds and the family ca salvage a nice weekend!

On supervising kids; my dawdler is the 8 year old, but truth be told, I dress them all in the morning because I'd rather be done with it in 8 minutes than remind them over and over for half an hour
I know this is probably training them in the wrong direction, but my mornings are just too short to hope they do it. I do however let them suffer other natural consequences (forgetting homework)

Speaking of which, off to wrangle kids into clothes and get lunches packed and breakfast served...

#490 ·
Whoa Jo, those are some very big questions.

I like being busy and right now I'm at such a happy place, even on the craziest day I now am sure that working with kids like this is what I truly love. I'm already thinking about 'next year's play' as if such a thing is a given (not). I'm also thinking about ways to involve older kids. The down side, such as it is, is that dd1 doesn't like to share me so much. But really it seems to me that we spend more time together when it feels to her that my time is more precious. When I'm always on hand we can ignore each other more kwim?

Anyway,
to those of you who do not feel like you are in the right place. I have had that and it is difficult if not impossible to settle down when that's the sense. I had that feeling where I grew up and it does sometimes make me a little sad to realize that if I never go back there again it will be okay. My heart was never there in the first place.

RR; I have to run today. Probably it won't be far because I just have so much to do before tomorrow afternoon, but it has to happen.

My mom is enroute. I'm not sure when she'll be arriving but she was in Stockton CA yesterday evening.

#491 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Sheesh. I mean, for $60, how can I NOT sign up for it?

drjen, can you put it on the race list? Colfax Marathon, May 15.

Ha! I'm one that tends to do better when I'm overcommitted. I have a definite tendency towards sitting on my butt all day in front of the computer if I don't have pressing responsibilities, so keeping my schedule full forces me to keep moving. I think I accomplished more Monday, bookended by 2 births at 5 am and 11pm, than I did the rest of the week combined. I knew the second birth was coming, I didn't know how long it was going to take and I had stuff that had no option but to get done. I also feel I study better when I have limited blocks of time rather than "sometime today I need to".

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
I didn't work out yesterday. Instead watched a live broadcast of my beloved teacher who's in declining health.
It was tough but good, and has me further contemplating whether I am doing right by my family right now...and whether there is a reasonable way to extricate myself from some of the stuff that's tying me up. And whether I am honestly expressing who I am in my life, or making compromises that are contributing to the ache in my heart. And what is out of pride, and what is out of sincerity. I know, right? Sheesh.
Sometimes taking that step away is liberating, but it's terrifying at the same time. Having just made a tough professional decision to do what's right for my family, I get a glimmer of what you mean. Be gentle with yourself and listen to your heart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Whoa Jo, those are some very big questions.

I like being busy and right now I'm at such a happy place, even on the craziest day I now am sure that working with kids like this is what I truly love. I'm already thinking about 'next year's play' as if such a thing is a given (not). I'm also thinking about ways to involve older kids. The down side, such as it is, is that dd1 doesn't like to share me so much. But really it seems to me that we spend more time together when it feels to her that my time is more precious. When I'm always on hand we can ignore each other more kwim?

My mom is enroute. I'm not sure when she'll be arriving but she was in Stockton CA yesterday evening.

I hear you on the kid thing. I definitely think the girls and I have a better relationship when I'm busy. They do a better job of expressing what they need from me, I do a better job of stopping to focus on them when I know I'm pressed for time. That sounds sad when I type it out, but the time definitely seems more precious and I enjoy it more.

Was that her driving by my house?

Today is another one of those crazy days for me, one that I can't quite figure out how I'm going to fit it all in. I'm hoping that means that my client who has been walking around at 4 cm for 2 weeks now will have her baby. She's getting so antsy and riled up about it and has a bunch of pressure from friends (in a positive way, but it's still pressure, kwim?).

On a FM related note, I'm struggling again with the hip/calf/shin thing, and for some reason have a nagging pain on the side of my foot. Need to make a chiro appointment and see if I'm really out of whack, need to get new shoes ordered and see if that helps (is it pathetic to ask my family for running shoes for my birthday?), need to get a massage referral. But today is hot yoga, so all is right with the world.

Oh, an update on the no-sugar thing: I've done it, except for Monday. No candy (even though DD1 went to a trunk-or-treat at a friend's church on Tuesday and came home with a boatload of candy). Monday, otoh, proved to me that I have no control in the face of chocolate-I had a few Hershey's kisses while working in E's classroom, had some mini candy bars at the second birth because they had no food in their fridge that I could eat and I was needing to get some calories in. I need to get my birth food supply bag restocked to avoid this problem. I do think I feel better, but it's not translating into weight loss yet.

#492 ·
tjsmama--I'm voting for crazy, but in a very good way.

This thread has been helpful. My mother and sister are always telling me I'm an overachiever, and while that might be true in general, I don't think I'm doing too much right now. Specifically, my mother told me this week she thinks I'm going to have a stroke at my tender age because I'm doing too much.
And right now I think I'm doing what it takes to live, yk? R has one extracurricular activity (violin), P and I do choir and handbells at church, I work pt, and I'm trying to keep my mileage around 15 miles/week, give or take. How is that doing too much?

IR is on a field trip this morning, which means no afternoon kindy and we could do something else fun. I invited my mom and sister to come to the zoo or museum with us in the afternoon. Mom decided she didn't want to (she doesn't want to do anything if we're only there for a couple of hours). I get that and don't have any problems with it. But then she launched into "why don't you just stay home in the afternoon and rest?" Uh, mom, I have two kids. "Yes, but stay home and rest." But the kids will still be there. "Yes, but then you all can rest."
Um, right...they'll magically take naps.

As it turns out, J has pink eye, so I don't know that we're going anywhere. And now I'm off to pick up some eyedrops from the pharmacy.

#493 ·
Jo-
I have such a hard time reconciling things in my life sometimes.

FM- walk last night, but not much planned for today. We are volunteering at the museum to help get new work installed that requires a lot of hand sewing.
I am just hoping the artist is not a crab-ass and doesn't get pissy about kids being there. Usually it is fine, but some of them are not so kind.

#494 ·
Jo. Hope that the discernment feels fruitful to you.

FM: I did 6m. Wait, no, 5, because my stoopid knee started hurting at about 4.5. Sigh. The first three were amazing, though! I was fast and my breathing was awesome and it was gorgeous and cold out.... perfect. There I was, running along, thinking like the supah-dork that I am, "I am so glad to be alive!"

I need to cut about another three paragraphs from my conference paper, but that's not so bad. I'm really anxious about the travel, but am trying to relax a bit. I've got a bunch of friends going to this particular conference, and am rooming with one of them, so am going to have a good time, dangit.

#495 ·
everyone!

JG: I hope your DS is feeling better and no more yucky surprises.
Gaye:
yep, you are addicted to running! But a good deal is a good deal, and I'm sure you'll figure out a way to fit everything in.
Jo:

Sparkle: yeah, I
Dan Zanes, too. He's cute!

T-shirt update! We are still one shirt shy of an order, but that may change as I have 2 'pending' orders (Runningmommy, did you get my message with the ordering info?). Does anyone need the info, I can forward it to you, just PM me. I'm only waiting for the checks to trickle in this week (my husband is just putting them all on my desk while I'm in Denver, so don't be surprised if they don't get cashed right away!)

So here I am in Denver! This place is really cool - both temperature-wise and just a cool city, too. I'm excited to be here and do a bit of exploring, meeting lots of new people, working out every morning in the hotel gym.
I just ate an awesome breakfast burrito that was the first substantial, warm food I have had since the soup I had at home 2 days ago. Man, was I famished and was it delicious!

FM: 15 min. on the stationary bike, 30 min run/walk on the treadmill, and maybe 10 min. in the pool. I'm doing drills to help me learn to breathe on both sides.

Still staying ref. sugar-free here, too, despite a "dessert reception" last night.

OK, I better dash... have a great day everyone!

#496 ·
ok - wow there is a lot of posts. So I'll keep personals to
and :goodvibe for those who need 'em and
for those celebrating

The last couple of days have been long, esp today - SO LONG. I'm giving myself tomorrow to get more "recovered" and hoping Saturday i can check out the local gym.

#497 ·
Just caught up on the last page. I've been CRAZY busy! Fall Product Sale for the Girl Scouts had to be turned in this week, and that had it's own set of insanity. Getting orders entered, chasing down parents that didn't give the right amount of money, getting money deposited, following the latest set of procedures, and just making sure the numbers all balanced (very stressful for me!). They change the procedure every.single.year, and it came with a booklet over 30 pages long with all the instructions. It was crazy. But, it's done. Oh, I also had Halloween costumes to get finished, and have one fundraiser to help take care of at the kids' school. And, AF started. Just to top it all off.

I've managed to get to the gym twice on my own, plus tri class. And, I've been walking 3-5 miles every day with the dogs!

I guess this answers whether I tend towards a busy life or not.

Gaye - I wouldn't be able to pass up a $60 full marathon, either!

Ugh, sorry so slim on the personals. I'm beat!

#498 ·
Today is a good example of what happens when I'm not busy. DS was still throwing up at 2:00pm. We've spent the entire day coloring, watching WAY too much TV, and napping. I ate FAR too much Halloween candy
. No one wants to do anything (granted, DS still feels crappy, but still). I got nothing accomplished. DH decided we shouldn't come to IL this weekend and he'll just come home after work tomorrow night. Twenty-four hours.... down the tubes.

#499 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post
But then she launched into "why don't you just stay home in the afternoon and rest?" Uh, mom, I have two kids. "Yes, but stay home and rest." But the kids will still be there. "Yes, but then you all can rest."
Um, right...they'll magically take naps.
I think we must be sisters. My mom is exactly the same. She always acts all nervous about how busy I am and how I must need rest. I'm all, "Mom! I'll rest when I'm dead!"

Oh my. She could be here any time.

#501 ·
Allrighty, need some nanny advice here. I interviewed candidate #2 today, and I liked her. She's 62, used to be a nurse in the 70's, worked in a preschool for one of the local school systems for years, and most recently was a nanny for twins and was suddenly let go when some daycare slots opened up unexpectedly. She was very nice, I liked her, talks a LOT, seemed a teeny bit desperate, but really seemed to understand the flexibility required and that I can't guarantee a minimum number of hours each week. Lives with her daughter, so making the rent each month is probably not as big a concern. My brain tells me to hire her. The other candidate, who I interviewed yesterday, is in her 20's and a new grad with an elementary ed degree who hasn't been able to find a teaching job. She really interacted with DS and seemed to have a lot of energy. I don't know her situation entirely and why she would be able to afford to work for me, kwim? Which worries me. Also, that she could potentially find a teaching job next year. But I really liked her. GAH. I'm probably going to make an offer to the older one, but anyone have any thoughts?

I planned to run or go for a bike ride today, but it just didn't happen. Oh well. I feel like I got zilch done today, between two (yes, two) trips to Costco and the interview. Sigh. Oh well...hoping to get a run in tomorrow after class. And now, it's time to study for tomorrow's dosage calc test. You know, because we just did this in our last class, and now we have to do it again for this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.