Mothering Forum banner

I want a very expensive item

2K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  MissedMyDecade 
#1 ·
Specifically, a breast pump. I want the PJ's Comfort hospital grade breast pump, which is on sale right now for $500 for the deluxe model (down from $700.)

I work 3 12 hours shifts, am away from home from 5am till 8pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday. A good breast pump is not optional, but a) I'm still in my first trimester, and b) I would have to charge half of it.

So how do those of you who are very good with your finances figure out whether a particular purchase is worthwhile? The super deluxe, ideal item is $500, but a functioning item is $200...

#2 ·
how much would you pay in interest if you don't pay it off right away? If you will still save money, it might be worth it. There is also a good chance there will be another sale in the next six-eight months, so it might be fine to wait.

#3 ·
I think it's harder to be objective about something like a breast pump, which can make such a difference in the life of a WOHM. But you can probably resell it, right? It's a pump designed for multiple users, so long as each user has their own kit. So that might help you justify it too.

Also, this probably won't help you, but this is the pump provided by the workplace lactation program by my husband's employer. They provide the pump for a year for free. So, if you or your DP has that benefit, check that out before buying!

#6 ·
It's tricky, because you never know what your plans will actually end up being until you are in the situation. It would suck to spend all that money, then find out you have hypoplastic breasts, and no amount of pumping or dom or whatever will produce enough milk.

If you've nursed before, and things were fine milk-wise, I'd be more inclined to spend the money. How long would it take you to pay it off?

#7 ·
Is there a reason why you want that one specifically?

When I was having trouble breastfeeding and pumping, I went to a lactation consultant and asked about renting their hospital grade pumps. When she found out I had a Medela Pump in Style at home, she said it was just about the same as the pumps they had there so it wasn't worth it.

Also, it may be possible to rent one as a cheaper alternative.

Good luck!

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
If you only have to charge half of it, I'd save the $50/month for the next 6months & buy it outright.
IF it stays at $500. It could go back up to $700.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacroMama View Post
Is there a reason why you want that one specifically?

I want that one specifically because I've been told that those who have used it have gotten much better production than with the PIS and Ameda pump. Also, read a couple of reviews online that said similar things, such as 'this was the only pump I could let down to" etc. I've tried the PIS and was not impressed, and the Ameda was decent.

But I don't want to get this moved to Breastfeeding!

I really want this darn pump. Not entirely sure why. If I pay it off quickly, I know it would be a decent decision.

#9 ·
I would do it.

I had such a hard time pumping with my PIS, and it was such a major stressor for me on top of having to go back to work. I would often cry because of the small amount of milk that would come out.

I would have paid an extra $250 to have a more efficient pump.

Plus like a PP said, the resale value is likely high.

#10 ·
OP, I haven't dealt with this particular pump but if you get it I would be interested in your review. The one thing that was a red flag for me was one size fits all cup. I don't see how that can be true as women have a wide variety of different sized nipples.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacroMama View Post
When I was having trouble breastfeeding and pumping, I went to a lactation consultant and asked about renting their hospital grade pumps. When she found out I had a Medela Pump in Style at home, she said it was just about the same as the pumps they had there so it wasn't worth it.
I really disagree with this LC's recommendation. Hospital grade pumps generally have a warranty for 3-5 yrs vs a 1 yr warranty for personal use pumps. That is because they are built better, stronger, and for different pumping situations. I could go on and on but the point is for anyone else reading this to know there IS a difference.

#12 ·
I understand. I agonized over both of my breastpump purchases.

When I bought my Avent hand pump it was nearly $100 in Canada. When I bought my Pump in Style they were $350 plus 15% tax when I was looking at them. That's close to $400.

Anyway, when I found the PIS on sale, I suspected that it was a mistake in the printing of the flyer. I went and got one right away. It was $300 including tax with the sale. I was so happy to save $100.

We never bought a crib, an exersaucer, a pack-n-play, a baby swing, a change table, or a bouncer seat so I felt that we could splurge on a breastpump for the two days a week that I worked. I have definitely gotten my money's worth out my pumps, but I really did struggle with the decision to spend so much money on them.

If I worked 12 shifts and could get a hospital grade pump for $500 I would do it. I have never heard anyway say that they are basically the same as a PIS.

#14 ·
I agree with the analysis of interest versus savings. If you'll spend more in interest than the savings, it's not worth it. Are you fairly disciplined with saving for a goal (and you have this set as a goal)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post
What is the return policy? If I were to spend that amount of money on something, I'd want to know if I could return it should I end up not needing it (ie, breastfeeding this babe doesn't work out for whatever reason).
If she's in her 1st trimester, they would be *very* unlikely to let her return it after the baby was born. That would be 7-8 months later--- when many people would be done w/a bpump anyway.

#15 ·
Is a breast pump something you can submit to your Health Saving Account? If so.....it might be better to wait, up your 2011 HSA an extra $500, and buy in 2011. By then you would have cash in hand plus pretax HSA $$.

Very hard choice. A good breast pump is worth it's weight in gold.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZgirl2207 View Post
Is a breast pump something you can submit to your Health Saving Account? If so.....it might be better to wait, up your 2011 HSA an extra $500, and buy in 2011. By then you would have cash in hand plus pretax HSA $$.
IRS 502 says breast pumps are not eligible for FSA reimbursement. I'm not sure on the guidelines for HSA but because the wording is similar (qualified medical expense) I would definitely encourage you to double check with your insurance provider.

#17 ·
If you can sell it later, I'd say go for it. I rented one and spent over $200 on the rental. (pumping exclusively for my preemie) Insurance was supposed to cover it but they denied it. I wish we just bought one.

#18 ·
I think it would depend on how much better the 500 dollar pump is than the 200 dollar pump. What exactly are the "luxury features" and how important are they to you. Will they significantly improve your life over the less-fancy version?

I see by your sig you have a 1 1/2 year old. Did you pump and work with your 1 1/2 year old? What pump did you use? How did it work for you?

If you did pump with your older child and the pump you used worked well enough (you were able to get enough milk and it wasn't too long pumping, etc.).

How old will your baby be when you return to work? I think that is another factor. If your baby will be 6 weeks your pumping needs will be different than if he/she will be 6 months.

Are you planning on having more children? What is the resale value of the pump? The thing with breast pumps, is that they are generally pretty short-lived use items. Many moms stop pumping at work early in the 2nd year (ie. 12-18 months)...so are you willing to pay 500 for an item with probably less than 1 1/2 year of use. However, if you are planning more children or can re-sell it, it might be worth it.

On that same note about re-selling it, could you find it used?

#19 ·
Quote:
IF it stays at $500. It could go back up to $700.
half of 500 is 250. Take 250 off of 700 & you get 450. 450/6 is $75/month for 6months. If it stays at $500 is it $42/month for 6months.

Either way you are better off saving the money & paying for it outright than racking up the interest if you charge it. For such a small amount it is not worth it to charge it.

If you're going to have the money to pay it off quickly you're going to have the money to save up for it & not have to pay the extra in interest & the risk you won't pay it off quickly.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ameliabedelia View Post
I think it would depend on how much better the 500 dollar pump is than the 200 dollar pump. What exactly are the "luxury features" and how important are they to you. Will they significantly improve your life over the less-fancy version?
It isn't 'luxury' features as much as the sensation on the breast is supposed to trigger better letdowns -> higher volume. I haven't tried it, can't say for sure, this is just what I'm hearing/reading. I do know that I experienced significant differences between a cheapie First Years and the Medela/Ameda, so this could certainly be another step up.

Quote:

I see by your sig you have a 1 1/2 year old. Did you pump and work with your 1 1/2 year old? What pump did you use? How did it work for you?
Yes, I pumped, first with a PIS and then with an Ameda Purely Yours. They were adequate.

Quote:

On that same note about re-selling it, could you find it used?
Baby will be 12 weeks. Not interested in used.

#21 ·
Well...only you can decide what to do, but if it were me, I would probably just use the Ameda again. I probably wouldn't pay $500 or $700 for an item that would likely only get used for a year or less (ie. from 12 weeks to say 15 months) since you already own an adequate alternative. Plus, if you are in the first trimester and aren't going back until 12 weeks, well that is a year away. A lot can happen in a year. I would tend to be pretty cautious about spending a significant amount of money on something that won't be needed for a year. You never know what could happen during that year that might make the pump unnecessary. (job loss, something happens to the baby
or on a more positive note, you win the lottery, get a major inheritance or partner gets a big raise and you don't have to work.
)

Plus, it's likely it will go on sale again before you need it. Ideally, you would want to wait until your baby is born so you could try it out and then return it right away if it doesn't live up to your expectations. Or at least wait until the baby will be born within the "return window " (ie. 30 days or 60 days or whatever it happens to be) so you can try it out and see if it in fact does improve let down and volume of milk expressed.

#22 ·
I would not charge it. You have plenty of time at this point to 1) save up for it and 2) get the word out that you would like contributions towards your pump in lieu of any baby presents people would have bought.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post
Specifically, a breast pump. I want the PJ's Comfort hospital grade breast pump, which is on sale right now for $500 for the deluxe model (down from $700.)

I work 3 12 hours shifts, am away from home from 5am till 8pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday. A good breast pump is not optional, but a) I'm still in my first trimester, and b) I would have to charge half of it.

So how do those of you who are very good with your finances figure out whether a particular purchase is worthwhile? The super deluxe, ideal item is $500, but a functioning item is $200...
For me, I need to justify the cost in a way that makes it beneficial to purchase while still being more of a need. If it is an item I want, I need to justify the cost in a way that makes it beneficial to purchase while still being something we can easily afford.

For example, one strike against this purchase is the charge factor. How long will it take you to pay off $250 and what will the interest be? For me, if I could not pay the $250 off within one month, I would probably consider the purchase a "want" in a time where I couldn't afford it. I would use the $250 I did have to pay off other bills and/or for savings.

If I could pay off the pump before accruing interest and/or it were just a one-off short month, I would really contemplate the worth of the item (time and money saved). If it was a need, I would try to calm myself by realizing I would a) sell the pump after using it and b) pay a whole heck of a lot less buying the pump than formula feeding.

ETA: I do think you got some good suggestions on how to afford it better. Examples: working an extra shift, using a 0% interest credit card, purchasing used, etc.

#25 ·
Honestly, I would wait until I thought I needed it for sure. I would pump with the Ameda again and would reconsider if I felt I was under constant pressure to have enough expressed milk. If that wasn't a concern I wouldn't bother.

Is there anywhere where you could try it (just buy the kit part) before you bought one?

#26 ·
to be honest... (and I'm a wohm, so I totally understand the call of a good breast pump)... I would not buy a non nessity if I had to charge it.

To evaluate whether a purchase is worth it-- I shop around, look at reviews, always try to buy in the 'middle' for most everything. I don't go with the cheapest, and I don't go with top of the line either.

I also at least evaluate how much an item would cost used-- so I know how much it's costing me to to buy new.

And sometimes you get it wrong. For breast pump, I was able to find a NIB medela that I used all last year for 180. I do wish I'd 'splurged' and gotten the freestyle, but at the time it was new and had mixed reviews. I shopped the price + had a coupon that would have made the freestlye closer to 300 than 400, and the ease of use may have been worth it. Oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.