Mothering Forum banner

Dingos Trotting after Turkeys...November Running Mamas Thread

18K views 614 replies 39 participants last post by  JayGee 
#1 ·
Here's the new thread!

See less See more
#27 ·
My brain has left my body for some reason.

Anywhoo, walking the dogs. Walking the kids. Walking, walking walking. Oh, and I swam today. 1400 yards of drills. Tough, good, too much chlorine. Tri class tomorrow.

And, will someone PLEASE come and forcibly take this candy away from me?!

#30 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Life. Is. Crazy.......

And my insomnia is back.
hmm. related?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Nope, only the effects of the soap.
I never had any. I think DrJen had some. As did eksmom?
I think I have no idea what you guys are talking about. When did this happen? (2006? -- maybe I can blame it on ppd).

Total strange day. Coming back for some parenting advice from my favorite mothers.....

#31 ·
The soap involved rosewood.

The towels are clean after yesterday's flood. Looks like the damage is limited to the ceiling tiles.

I'm taking tomorrow off. I'm calling it a nervous-breakdown intervention. Also backing out of some work responsibilities again for a bit. Hoping for good weather, so I can spend at least some of the day outside. Alone. I'm about done here.

#32 ·
kerc, from your posts you sem to have it all together, intimidatingly so. I hardly believe you are human some days I am so awed and inspired. When I grow up I want to feel as strong as you appear to be on-screen. I've been meaning to say so for a while. I mean this as the biggest compliment.

#33 ·
I have no idea about the soap, but I could try. I don't know if Mandy is still making soap, and I certainly wouldn't want to overstep my secret-ingredient-searching bounds.
I could use some of that soap myself, though.

No FM today but a ton of orders. I put out a FB update (for my biz) that most of my inventory was going to an art gallery and apaprently driving downtown is too much for my local customers! I've sold more in the last two days than I have in the last 3 months or more.
I am overwhelmed and busy!

#34 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
I'm taking tomorrow off. I'm calling it a nervous-breakdown intervention. Also backing out of some work responsibilities again for a bit. Hoping for good weather, so I can spend at least some of the day outside. Alone. I'm about done here.
I call that a mental health day. Don't tell anyone but I'm going to be sick = furlough day on Dec. 13th. My kid has a holiday concert, I'm having a rough semester and I can't get anyone to cover my classes at 9am and 1pm (agreeable people are all teaching at that same time....). Jo: alone outside = my idea of a good time. Here's hoping the weather cooperates for you.

Mommajb: There is just not a smilie that is appropriate for how I feel reading your comment.
might work, honored, there's that faint one
:. Thank you, I do feel complimented.

and now I'm
:at my dh because he took my computer charger to his desk without telling me and i'm out of charge....

#35 ·
A forum search of rosewood indicates it was all the rage the spring of 2007 (starts 3/07, post #387). Active posters included SallyZ, gmm, CherylAnn, schatz, kate~mom, moonshine, 2bb, Patti...

Kerc, you might have missed all of it because it looks like you were moving...

#38 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
omg Geo, can you do that for my brain?

Only if you subject your brain to indexing... (locating the post required both the MDC search and google...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandasemele View Post
Ok, so I am new to running, as in I want to but don't know where to start. How did you all start? By walking or just full fledge running?
Start with proper running shoes -- shoes that someone at a running store picks out for you. They are personal to your gait, and shoes are worn out before they look worn out.

Then look up the "couch to 5k", an 8 week program of 3x/week that starts with short runs (60 seconds) and walking and gradually increases the running.

Welcome!

#39 ·
I feel like a who, but "I am here, I am here, I am here!"

I had a rough couple of weeks with running because of birthday stuff, but back on the wagon of high mileage weeks. Anyone want to do part of 20 with me on Sunday?

amandasemele - geofizz gave great advice. Run/walk is the best way to ease into it. The third day is the hardest, but set a goal and you'll be good.

Jo - mental health days are a requirement and should be scheduled at least one a semester of the year. Hugs mama.

I remember the soap conversation

Kiddos up and needing sustenance....off I go.

#40 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Hoping for good weather, so I can spend at least some of the day outside. Alone. I'm about done here.
I hope you get that good weather and an alone day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
I feel like a who, but "I am here, I am here, I am here!"
Hi BBM! Good to see you.

Hi Amandasemele! I second the suggestion to start slowly with a c25k program. I've done it probably 3 or 4 times over the years after a period of inactivity, and it's a fantastic (slow) way to get back into running! Enjoy!

I am officially into week 3 of c25k, even though yesterday's workout was completely strange. I had both dogs with me raring to go and was wearing jeans and a t-shirt rather than running clothes just because I was in too big of a hurry to change. At least twice I found myself completely tangled in dog leashes and ear-bud cord while trying to hang onto a bag of dog poo. Gross. But I felt really good and have no swelling in my knee today. So Yay!!!

#41 ·
Good to see yu BBM! I wish this weekend wasn't so crazy and I was ready for a 20 miler. I pop over and visit dragging Geo along.

Welcome Amandasemele. C25K with good shoes about sums it up. Where abouts are you in IN? (if you don't mind sharing)

Mel, better to be tangled in leashes than bags of dog poo.

JG, I hope today's showing is The One.

I think we are coming to some sort of conclusion on some of dd1's school issues.

#42 ·
amandasmele - Definitely want to 3rd the advice for C25k and for good shoes that have been professionally fitted for you (sounds a LOT more intimidating than it actually is. Go in and tell them you are a new runner and need shoes). Oh, and don't worry about pace. If it feels too hard to run 60 seconds, try slowing down a lot. Remember, running is a gait, not a speed!

My puppy gained 7 pounds in the last 3 weeks!
I think I can see him growing!

We saw 2 skunks on our walk last night, too.
Thankfully, nothing came of that!

Tri class tonight. 45 minute bike, followed by a 15 minute run. I'm taking it easy during the day today. My biggest goals are to do laundry and shave my legs.

#43 ·
Me to husband this morning, "So did you call the cleaning lady to come and clean before your parents get here Thursday?"

We don't have a cleaning lady, nor do we have time to clean deep enough to have houseguests. The bathroom is clean, the floor is vacuumed every other day. Dust? yeah. we've got it.

soap: yes, I was moving. No wonder I missed it. That was a bad phase in my life. Bad bad bad.

Dingo visits: throwing this out there cautiously: we may or may not be visiting Ohio at Christmas time with a general idea of Cleveland for xmas, driving through Columbus to Dayton on the 26th or 27th. Then flying home 28th-ish. I'll know more soon, but I could see a little dingo gathering, providing ya'll are home.

#44 ·
Kristin - PLEASE!!!! I would love to see you!

mommajb, I have several long runs coming up, let me know if you want to come over (maybe Geo could come this way too and we could have a whole dingo posse!) this way. I have a 21 and 23 miler coming up.

So, thoughts ... I made up my running schedule and I did kind of a 3-week cycle. For example, 20, 14, 10, 21, 16, 10, 23... what do you think? Should I have the really long runs every other week or keep doing the three week cycle?

#45 ·
Trying to lift my head up from under the weight of what happened yesterday
, and I'm not even talking political party preferences, just how much divisiveness there is, and how little true communication

FM: None. I have been feeling recovered for about two weeks, and every day is gonna be the day I get back on the wagon, and then its not. I want to run! The fall weather and colors are so glorious - I love Fall running, but I have to "train" to be able to run, which means going to the gym and sitting on that dern bike, and doing PT exercises over and over and over
I told you guys how the gym replaced the bikes I like with ones I hate. Sigh. Must ride. Must get strong and stretch and then .... Run.

#46 ·
Sparkle- I feel ya! I have been having a knee issue that feels markedly better after some strength work and stretching. But to do all that, and then make time for a run has been more than I've managed lately. Ugh.

So, I've been back to the business of soap and two days in I think "I need a sitter!" Oh boy. This is why I wanted part time work!

I hate these decisions sometimes.

#47 ·
I don't wanna clean my house for ANOTHER showing! I'm TIRED of cleaning. I'm TIRED of everything needing to be perfect. Ahhhhhh!!!!!

Okay, I feel better now.

The best news to come out of yesterday's election is that our school district actually PASSED the funding referrendum
!

No FM (again), spent the morning volunteering in DD1's first grade classroom, and now, the vacuum is calling my name

#48 ·
Hey, dingos.

I'm still here reading along, trying to figure out when to schedule in my running. I'm thinking early afternoon, as soon as dh comes in the door. Otherwise, no run, and I'm not holding it all together well.

Trying to remember to breathe...

#49 ·
Today!
Is my birthday!

Happy birthday to ME. A brand-new year starts today!

A few years ago when I realized I was disappointed in the non-mindreader characteristics of DH, I decided I would be in charge of my own happiness. Which includes a VERY limited Amazon wishlist and me doing most of the birthday planning. Me feeling like
is much better than my previous

Last night I made waffles and bought ice cream and heavy cream, so this morning I could have my family's traditional birthday breakfast: waffles with ice cream and fresh whipped cream. I also pulled out the recipe and ingredients for chocolate cake, so DH and the kids can bake tonight while I'm at work and we can eat cake tomorrow.

Because of my limited wishlist, DH gave me the wrist Garmin I'd been wanting.
Now I just need to charge up and learn how to use the darn thing.

My dad told my mom that the people he knows at the gym only wear wicking and warming gear, so on his advice she bought me a fancy long-sleeved shirt and a hooded thing to wear over it, plus some socks and a sports bra. Yay for new high-tech running stuff!

After dropping DS off this morning, I went to DD's first-grade class to be their "mystery reader." DD was delighted; she kept inching forward to point at the pictures in the books I'd brought, to make sure her classmates didn't miss anything.

I ran four miles in the thirty-degree
, then sat in my car and listened to a new book that unexpectedly arrived in CD form instead of paper form--"Zombies vs. Unicorns." I wish it were more kid-appropriate, because it's really funny. It's a collection of stories written by people who come down on one side or the other of the zombies vs. unicorns debate.
Now I need to find a time and place to hide out with a CD player to listen to the remaining nine CDs.

All in all, a satisfying birthday morning.

Enjoy my birthday day! I give all of you my best wishes for a happy and productive and satisfying start to the (official) new year.

#50 ·
Lalalala, you are officially my Official Hero. Never again will I build up regret, resentment & anger toward my dh due to his (perceived) lack of effort. I will be like you and dance to my own tune. You have made my day. As my Official Hero, I send you the best birthday wishes ever and plan to enjoy this day 10x, no 100x, 1000x more. Happ Birthday.
I :heart you.

Posted via Mobile Device

#51 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by loftmama View Post
Lalalala, you are officially my Official Hero. Never again will I build up regret, resentment & anger toward my dh due to his (perceived) lack of effort. I will be like you and dance to my own tune. You have made my day. As my Official Hero, I send you the best birthday wishes ever and plan to enjoy this day 10x, no 100x, 1000x more. Happ Birthday.
I :heart you.

Posted via Mobile Device
This.

Happy Birthday 4La's!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.