Mothering Forum banner

Biggest Misconceptions

5K views 119 replies 67 participants last post by  jennifersueack 
#1 ·
What do you feel that people have wrong about SAHMs?
:

I think that the biggest one is people thinking that you just relax, watch TV, and occasionally toss the DC's a bread crust and some water...

See less See more
#5 ·
I think a common one is that we're all bedraggled, unwashed, wearing sweats and having ponytails, yelling at our kids because we're so burnt out, and are basically unfulfilled.

Sure, everyone has days like that. But I'd like to think that more often than not, I'm dressed, happy, having fun with my kids, feeling relieved not be doing a 9-5, and even wearing makeup.

So there!

#6 ·
people usually assume we're wealthy,because im a sahm, and because we live in a nice neighborhood, within walking distance to the beach. we're quite the opposite-we rent a little fixer upper townhouse, and we are constantly counting coins....
i hate that.
life of leisure...
hahhahahah.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autoemesiss View Post
Don't forget the chocolate covered bon bons!
Well...... I forgot... But....

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandib50 View Post
aside from the fact that we lay on the couch eating bon-bons all day, don't forget that we SAHM's are also boring and stupid.

Mandi remembered!!

#11 ·
In keeping with the affluence theme, I hate hearing "oh, you're so lucky to sah!"

I'm not "lucky." Over the past 7 years that I've been at home, I've worked my hiney off to live frugally. I do all kinds of things for "extra money" to spend on things like groceries!

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamallama View Post
In keeping with the affluence theme, I hate hearing "oh, you're so lucky to sah!"

I'm not "lucky." Over the past 7 years that I've been at home, I've worked my hiney off to live frugally. I do all kinds of things for "extra money" to spend on things like groceries!
Yep. I've been an eBaying fool for the last little while.. Just keeping us afloat until we move.
:

Sigh. At least I get to be poor with my little baby.

#13 ·
I hate the one that I'm "wasting my education" by being a SAHM. Goodness, I use more of my "education" raising my son then I ever did working! Plus, how is it not "wasteful" for another person to waste their education raising my son for me? Just because they would be paid? Stupidest thing ever!

I also hate the "does nothing" one. Holy cow, I'm busy all the time too. It's just that I have more time to enjoy ds.

#15 ·
There are a couple that bug me to no end.

The thing that gets me the most is people assuming that since I'm at home, I obviously have time to run THEIR errands for them. I am constantly being asked to do things for other people, who don't seem to get that dragging a toddler around is a lot of freaking work.

The other thing is the constant need to "get me out of the house," even if I insist that I don't mind staying at home most days. I mean, really, if I say I'm okay hanging out here, then I mean it. I know when I need a break, and a lot of times it's more work to try to go do something. Especially during the day, with the whole toddler in tow thing.

Drives me crazy!

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I hate the one that I'm "wasting my education" by being a SAHM.
Ah yes... I actually had one of my former college professors say to me, when he discovered that I was a SAHM, "That's too bad... You were really smart." I felt like shoving my Phi Beta Kappa key up his

#17 ·
My mil is big on the escape thing. She assumes I'm dying for one.

Since she's always been a sahm, there's not much I can say. Perhaps she always wanted to get away.

I certainly don't. If I did, I'd put my kids in school/daycare and get out of Dodge!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmd View Post
I had a mom ask me tonight, at DS's soccer practice, if I was still enjoying my "life of leisure."
My dd decided to pretend she was a cat and actually use the litterbox yesterday. This is when I had a cold and had to get out to pick up something for dinner. My ds2 had been in there, dumping handfuls of litter in the hallway about eleven times that day. My dd was juggling linguini. Every time I got into the fridge, ds2 managed to grab something and/or knock something over.

Life of leisure??? Sure, my house is a mess, but that doesn't change the fact that I vacuum and sweep every day (this a new and necessary development) and can't remember what hot coffee tastes like...

People are kind of stunned sometimes, really.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin926 View Post
The thing that gets me the most is people assuming that since I'm at home, I obviously have time to run THEIR errands for them. I am constantly being asked to do things for other people, who don't seem to get that dragging a toddler around is a lot of freaking work.
My sister suffers from this one. We're both SAHM. She has four kids...11, 5 (almost and 3-year-old twins. I have three...13, 3 and 14 months.

So - I finally got my driver's license last year (at 37!). My sister hasn't got hers yet, and isn't doing anything about getting it. So, she seems to think that it's okay to call me up and ask me to go pick up cigarettes or milk or whatever for her...because it's "hard to get all three (the oldest is at school, of course) of my kids dressed and ready to go". errr...what do you think I have to do with my kids? My youngest only started walking today - do you think he dresses himself? Maybe he straps himself in the carseat, too?? Of course, it's much, much easier for me, because I "only have two". (She's said herself that if any of hers were like dd, she'd go insane.)

It drives me freaking batty!

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
That I cook and clean.

Well, I guess I do a little of that, but not as much as one would think!!

ME too.. I do what has to be done.
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
By the way Greenie.....I like your username! My name really is Greenlee!
:
Thanks!! I love that name.
:

#23 ·
I hate when people assume that I have a lot of free time.

Designing and sewing is one of my passions..something that I must make time for no matter what. So I made a dress for my niece's wedding, and everyone comments, "Oh, it must be nice to have time to do that," as though if I gave them an hour they would be able to make something exactly like it. Ummm, no...this is what I do instead of watching TV or eating out or going to a movie or reading the paper!

#24 ·
I haven't gotten too much flack for it, but I get the feeling that some people think I must be inherently lazy or unmotivated to not want to do something "real" and "valuable" and make a CONTRIBUTION to sociaety.
:

I'll admit, there are days that all I want to do is go on an overnight with my husband, get massages, eat an amazing meal (that someone else cooks and cleans up after
) have sex without worrying about the kids, and sleep, sleep, sleep. Did I mention sleep? But I just want to do that FOR ONE NIGHT! I missed my babies getting my hair-cut yesterday. Escape is not what I'm after.

The "don't you get bored" question always pisses me off. Why would you assume that my kids or I am boring?
: I am perfectly capable of filling my days with activities, or books or whatever we need that are intersting and fun. I was waaaaaaaay more bored waaaaaaay more often when I had a job.

#25 ·
SIL told me she doesn't know if she can be a SAHM because she "doesn't know how to knit." That one made me laugh, especially since I didn't know how to knit when I became a SAHM myself. The ideas people have!

The other one that gets me is the money thing. We're not rich - we're frugal. People just don't get that.

#26 ·
This was my own misconception after many years of WOH'ing...

I thought I could be the perfect mom if I stayed at home...

:
:

I'm not, btw....not even CLOSE!

I learned it was a lot easier to be a great Mom when I wasn't doing it 24 hrs a day without a break...and I had all the spending money I wanted...and I put relatively little pressure on myself regarding household things...and no one was home messing up the house all day...etc., etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.