Mothering Forum banner

Where to find a cheaper felt board like this??

887 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  E.V. Lowi 
#1 ·
#3 ·
The base of this Pottery Barn map uses Polyester Brushed Tricot, which is compatible as the loop side for the hook Velcro. That is why the "felt" accessory pieces use velcro on the back. Real felt boards do not use Velcro, the felt just sticks to the flannel board by itself, with friction.(or maybe with static electricity?)

If you use felt for the continents, or base of the map, velcro will not work on the felt, alone. You will need to use the loop velcro pieces on the base, wherever you want the accessory pieces with the hook velcro to stick. Hope that makes sense!

I do not know of a stateside source for the Velcro compatible Poly. Brushed Tricot. This is a fabric that is manufactured in Taiwan or Korea and shipped to China and used to make just about every toy and soft goods product imaginable. I don't know of another fabric that is Velcro hook fastener compatible.

#5 ·
how about making the map itself out of different colors of felt - if you want/need to, just sew around the edges so the continents wont move. then, wrap the map around a piece of metal sheeting. Then find toys at the dollar store (or make some yourself if you're so inclined) and attach a magnet to the back. the magnet will stick to the sheeting and you wont have to worry at all with velcro.

fabric you could get at any fabric store really...
metal sheeting & magnets at a home improvement store (or even see about visiting your local habitat for humanity store for some nice inexpensive used items)

hth

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by monocyte View Post
Thanks!!!! I think I understand...

Obviously, I'd want a scaled down version if Im doing it myself.

More ideas on HOW to do this myself?? Guess I need a "shoppping list.." and recom for good stores (online or IRL.)

You can make the entire thing from felt. Maybe I wasn't clear. The back (oceans) is blue felt and the continents in whatever colors of felt you wanted.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by autumnbloom View Post
how about making the map itself out of different colors of felt - if you want/need to, just sew around the edges so the continents wont move. then, wrap the map around a piece of metal sheeting. Then find toys at the dollar store (or make some yourself if you're so inclined) and attach a magnet to the back. the magnet will stick to the sheeting and you wont have to worry at all with velcro.

fabric you could get at any fabric store really...
metal sheeting & magnets at a home improvement store (or even see about visiting your local habitat for humanity store for some nice inexpensive used items)

hth
I love these ideas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.