Mothering Forum banner

Healing the Gut Tribe - November!

21K views 483 replies 32 participants last post by  caedmyn 
#1 ·
I just thought I'd get a new thread started...

#378 ·
Quote:
I am back at the garlic and candex hardcore. I am thinking of trying either the Threelac or the Can Albex. Any thoughts on these? I saw the whole 'plan' on the website for can albex, has anyone here done it?
I'm not familiar with the plan on the website, but DD used Can Albex and I think it helped. Our DAN ped had given us one bottle of the 30X and said to give her three drops three times a day. She used to have yeast flareups every time we stopped the diflucan and lately has been off diflucan for two or three months with no flareup. We have just now run out of Can Albex and the ped said to discontinue it and see what happens. But it is hard for me to say what role the Can Albex played, exactly. It may have been the key or the yeast may have been brought under control by other factors. She also gets Candex twice a day for maintenance and follows SCD for the most part (just a few illegal supplements that her doc and I have decided are worth the illegal ingredients, such as the six strain blend of Custom Probiotics).

#379 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Lovinlivilou & bluets-you are inspiring with your organized cooking. I hope one day to get to where you are! Especially with the whole schedule worked into the food. LLL- do you do your schedule on a spreadsheet?

We have a major flair up of yeast again
, of course I broke down and had some sugar treats, but not many. I am back at the garlic and candex hardcore. I am thinking of trying either the Threelac or the Can Albex. Any thoughts on these? I saw the whole 'plan' on the website for can albex, has anyone here done it?

By the way, I did an experiment: I added a few tablespoons of water kefir to my ginger carrots and they were horrible, had to throw the whole batch out.
Have you had allergy testing done? I was so shocked to learn that dd was allergic to corn. I knew about dairy but corn was so unexpected. Anyway, I haven't given Threelac in several days because I need to call the company and make sure there are no corn derivatives in it, but since dd's eczema is clearing up so rapidly, she hasn't had anymore attacks of yeast rash (it would always take hold when her eczema flared and the skin was broken). So, if you haven't already, it might be worth it to find out about any sensitivities. That information doesn't help everyone, but it seems to be helping us.

#380 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Have you had allergy testing done? I was so shocked to learn that dd was allergic to corn. I knew about dairy but corn was so unexpected. Anyway, I haven't given Threelac in several days because I need to call the company and make sure there are no corn derivatives in it, but since dd's eczema is clearing up so rapidly, she hasn't had anymore attacks of yeast rash (it would always take hold when her eczema flared and the skin was broken). So, if you haven't already, it might be worth it to find out about any sensitivities. That information doesn't help everyone, but it seems to be helping us.
I have an appt. with the allergist for dec 18th. I know we are dealing with some food allergies. I am on SCD and since I have been on it his rash has gotten worse. A few times it has almost cleared up, but only for a day or two. I am avoiding all the most common food allergens, I am pretty careful with my supplements and their ingredients, but there could be a trace amount of something that he is allergic to. I keep pouring over my food diary to find the culprit, or conversely the things that helped it clear up. Right now I am pretty sure we are dealing with yeast, he is fidgety (with his fingers), is biting everything and I don't believe it to be teeth related.

Did you just start Threelac? I have been following a recent thread about it but have not read many past threads yet.

#381 ·
Quote:

Lovinlivilou & bluets-you are inspiring with your organized cooking. I hope one day to get to where you are! Especially with the whole schedule worked into the food. LLL- do you do your schedule on a spreadsheet?

We have a major flair up of yeast again
, of course I broke down and had some sugar treats, but not many. I am back at the garlic and candex hardcore. I am thinking of trying either the Threelac or the Can Albex. Any thoughts on these? I saw the whole 'plan' on the website for can albex, has anyone here done it?

By the way, I did an experiment: I added a few tablespoons of water kefir to my ginger carrots and they were horrible, had to throw the whole batch out.
Nolunsmum - Sorry you're in flair up mode again
. Yeah - I do it on a spreadhseet layout in excel. I have it so that one page prints for the schedule and a second for the grocery list. I try to get it done by Thurs of the week before, email it to dh for him to make sure I haven't missed anything about schedules, and then it's done. It is my bible these days. I'm not very flexible when under stress, so don't come messing with my matrix/schedule!

I think I'm going to start Zeolite after Thanksgiving. From what I've read, it looks like it either helps you or doesn't, but that you know pretty soon, and I haven't seen much in the way of bad effects. Anyone know how much chepaer it is through a distributor than online?

I've also figured out that cinnamon is causing the little one to yak. It doesn't look like it did at first (looking back over my food journals), so I'm wondering if I created this problem by eating it too much. So now it's a moving target that I'm chasing - just because it was too easy before!

#382 ·
Hi gut buddies.

I got to spend last night in the ER. My chiro and my Dr were convinced I had a femoral Hernia. I was in an extreme ammount of pain. They wanted to do a CT scan and have me drink radioactive stuff. I talked them out of that since it would have meant temoprary weaning for 3 days till I wasn' radioactive any more.

Anyhow, the other tests didn't indicate that the hernia was likely so they think I probably have a badly sprained or torn muscle. Anyone know anything I can do diet wise to help that heal?

Thanks

#383 ·
Hello mamas!! I posted here a couple of times last month, and have been trying to keep up. I don't have much computer time. I have learned so much here though, and it amazes me how much information mothers can amass as they work to heal themselves and their babes. My hubby half jokes that I know more or as much at least as our ND, so why bother going

Anyways, I had a question for you all. I have seen reference to this a couple of times, something about finger sucking and yeast. I feel like we have some signs of yeast, but never have had any of the major ones like thrush or diaper rash or yeast infection for myself, nor coated white tongue. my ds1 though, is hyper sensitive to concentrated sweets, not sugar because we don't have that, but sweet fruits, cereal, honey, dried fruit, etc., craves this stuff like crazy, and has to have fingers in his mouth all the time (he's 5, and never sucked is thumb or anything). I just have itchy eyebrows, eyelashes, face with no rash. I just don't know what to thing about yeast. I haven't been able to find a reference to the finger sucking anywhere else, could any of you fill me in?

#384 ·
Annikate--what are the NCD (I might not have the initials right) drops that you referred to that helped your DD #1?

AngelaVA--my DD had blood in her stools for quite a while. We're out of town right now and I'm at the library, but either PM me or remind me after Thanksgiving and I will tell you what seemed to help her.

saskiasmom--as far as I can tell, certain strains of probiotics do colonize the gut while other strains (such as the ones in Threelac) will help you but they don't colonize you so either need to keep taking them or concurrently take some strains that do colonize. I've been reading "Bacteria for Breakfast", the book that JaneS recommended, and it is saying most people need really large doses of multiple strains to recolonize/change their gut flora (like in the 100 billions). I read that 16 oz of kefir can have up to 5 TRILLION good bacteria, so I really think that is the best probiotic (I'm assuming water kefirs have similar number, considering what they did to me!).

Have you considered that maybe you have bacteria overgrowth and/or parasites along with your yeast issues? If you do that might explain why you have not been able to lick your yeast. Also, I believe low stomach acid primarily affects digestions of fats and protein, so if you went from a low-fat diet to a high-fat one that might explain why you suddenly started having problems with GERD.

#385 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Annikate--what are the NCD (I might not have the initials right) drops that you referred to that helped your DD #1?
NCD=Natural Cellular Defense.

It's also called zeolite and there's a thread about it in vaccinations. (I think it's there.) If you can't find it lmk and I'll link it for you.

#386 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamajaillet View Post
Anyways, I had a question for you all. I have seen reference to this a couple of times, something about finger sucking and yeast. I feel like we have some signs of yeast, but never have had any of the major ones like thrush or diaper rash or yeast infection for myself, nor coated white tongue. my ds1 though, is hyper sensitive to concentrated sweets, not sugar because we don't have that, but sweet fruits, cereal, honey, dried fruit, etc., craves this stuff like crazy, and has to have fingers in his mouth all the time (he's 5, and never sucked is thumb or anything). I just have itchy eyebrows, eyelashes, face with no rash. I just don't know what to thing about yeast. I haven't been able to find a reference to the finger sucking anywhere else, could any of you fill me in?
Chewing on things is a sign of yeast, I think it is because the mouth is itchy, but don't quote me on that. Other than this current flair up I didn't have any 'outward' symptoms of yeast. And neither one of us has a white tongue.

I also think that I had not been letting my water kefir brew long enough and there was still sugar in it, enough to help the yeast take off and then the stress of leaving DS for a few days, and having some sweets did us in.

#387 ·
Okay, Mamas, I need help. DS, 15 months, doesn't poop more than once a week. I've tried magnesium, vitamin C, Natren Life Start, and most recently a combo of Natren Bifido Factor and Baby Life Bifodobacteria Infantis Powder.

The problem is getting these things into him - he doesn't eat much of anything, so I'll put it in a bit of juice or a smoothie or whatever and he'll only drink a little bit, no matter how little liquid I have it in. Because we are nursing, I'll ingest what he doesn't, hoping he gets it in my milk.

I have a feeling that it isn't constipation so much as he has had some trauma somewhere and is holding it - possibly right from when he started solids, as he has been this way ever since then. The only thing that has worked is Senna or Glycerin suppositories, and I really don't want to make a habit of either of those, as I feel they add to the trauma factor for him.

How bad a Mama would I be if, on our usually all organic, no sugar, SCDish diet...if I gave him some of those low carb chocolates? They have maltitol and it can have a laxative effect. I just don't know what else to do - I feel like I've tried everything natural and I just want him to poop already. I don;t know who to take him to practitioner-wise that could help him, either - if it's trauma around pooping as I suspect, how can we make a difference with that? Who might be able to help him recover from that and poop daily like he did before he started solids?

Please please please help if you can...
:

Oh, I forgot to add that the probiotics we're doing now have done nothing for him, but they're firming up my poop quite nicely, as my issue has been looseness....

#388 ·
Can I put probiotic powder in kefir? I'm assuming it will have a chance to multiply and have greater numbers than taking the pill alone.

I know I have asked this before-
For gut healing purposes how much zinc is good to take each day? What about selenium?

#389 ·
Nolansmum - Ive read that the range for selenium is 200-600mg/day. I take 200. Zinc; I think I remember reading no more than 80. I take 50mg/day, but wonder if that's too much. I think ff takes 30mg/day. Zinc and copper balance eachother, and there is some speculation about having too much copper and having yeast, so it would seem that if you took more zinc, you'd have less copper? But honestly, I dont get down to that level in calculating my protocal
:

Cademyn - I have considered that diet could be causing it. That's what Dh suspects. My digestion seems to be getting worse. At this point, I suspect stress as much as anything. I dont know how you mamas do this without succumbing to stress! As for colonizing pro-b's, it seems top me that most ingested ones do not colonize permanently. When articles talk about colonizing, they mean that there are still some pro-b's in feces up to 3 wks after ingestion but then the numbers go back to normal. It takes many years to slowly shift the balance, as it is very hard for ingested ones to outcompete, and to have all the requirements (space, food) needed to stick. It sounds like some kind of food with the prob's is needed to help them double fast enough to have a chance of permanent colonization. So it would seem that once the yeast is in balance, you would continue pretty aggressive probiotic supplementation for a long time, if not forever.

#390 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
Okay, Mamas, I need help. DS, 15 months, doesn't poop more than once a week. I've tried magnesium, vitamin C, Natren Life Start, and most recently a combo of Natren Bifido Factor and Baby Life Bifodobacteria Infantis Powder.

The problem is getting these things into him - he doesn't eat much of anything, so I'll put it in a bit of juice or a smoothie or whatever and he'll only drink a little bit, no matter how little liquid I have it in. Because we are nursing, I'll ingest what he doesn't, hoping he gets it in my milk.

I have a feeling that it isn't constipation so much as he has had some trauma somewhere and is holding it - possibly right from when he started solids, as he has been this way ever since then. The only thing that has worked is Senna or Glycerin suppositories, and I really don't want to make a habit of either of those, as I feel they add to the trauma factor for him.

How bad a Mama would I be if, on our usually all organic, no sugar, SCDish diet...if I gave him some of those low carb chocolates? They have maltitol and it can have a laxative effect. I just don't know what else to do - I feel like I've tried everything natural and I just want him to poop already. I don;t know who to take him to practitioner-wise that could help him, either - if it's trauma around pooping as I suspect, how can we make a difference with that? Who might be able to help him recover from that and poop daily like he did before he started solids?

:

Oh, I forgot to add that the probiotics we're doing now have done nothing for him, but they're firming up my poop quite nicely, as my issue has been looseness....
I think dd1's constipation issue was related to trauma too.
Poor thing, we went the stupid route and had the ped prescribe a stool softener for her and had her on that for longer than I want to admit.

Sorry your little guy is going through it!

I'm sure you tried this but you didn't mention it so I'll throw it out there. . . .
prune juice? I used to cook up some organic prunes for dd and let her drink the juice. This helped a lot.

I don't know, I'd be reluctant to try the chocolate, but that's just me. Hey, anything to get him poopying! (Does he seem like he's in pain?)

#391 ·
Quote:

:

Does it bother your DS to only poop once a week? I know it's not good for them to go that infrequently, but you might not have to "treat" it right away (ie give him a chance to heal) if it doesn't bother him. I don't have any suggestions on practioners but I know firefaery's DS goes to somebody to help with his reluctance to poop. Also, the things that helped my DD poop every day are CLO and coconut oil--she gets 1/2 tsp of high vitamin CLO a day and anywhere from 1/2 to 1 1/2 Tbsp of CO a day (however much I can get her to eat). Since I started those two she's gone every day instead of every 2-4 days. I feel you on the having difficulty getting babies to eat--I can barely get that little bit of CO and an ounce or so of coconut milk kefir into DD every day. Luckily she loves her probiotics. I just put the powder on a spoon and dip my finger in and stick it in her mouth until they're gone. I've started giving her 55 billion CFU's a day of probiotics and she's had some runny poop lately, so hopefully that's the probiotics working on her.

#392 ·
For anyone who let their baby self-feed--does it seem normal for an 11 month old not to digest anything she feeds herself? I've tried bits of avocado, cooked squash, and cooked sweet potato and she hasn't digested any of it. Plus she had nasty green poop for a few days after the sweet potato and squash, so I'm thinking she didn't do well with one or both of those.

firefaery (or anyone else)--do you have any good recipes for a birthday cake for a one year old, particularly a frosting recipe? I'd prefer it to be low or no sugar, and it can't have grains or nuts in it. I was thinking of trying to whip some coconut cream for "frosting" on a pumpkin pie filling "cake" but I'm open to suggestions.

#393 ·
caedmyn, any time I gave dd sweet potato (before doing SCD) it ended up a nightmare. She spent months eating only squash, zucchini and pears. Then we slooooowly branched out.

Not sure why she's not digesting the squash. What kind are you giving her?

If you can get someone to copy the apple cake recipe from BTVC and the frosting recipe that's what I used for dd's first birthday. She only really ate a little frosting but it was good for the picture factor. Plus it tasted pretty yummy.

Sorry, I lost my book months ago and still can't find it.

#394 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
caedmyn, any time I gave dd sweet potato (before doing SCD) it ended up a nightmare. She spent months eating only squash, zucchini and pears. Then we slooooowly branched out.

Not sure why she's not digesting the squash. What kind are you giving her?

If you can get someone to copy the apple cake recipe from BTVC and the frosting recipe that's what I used for dd's first birthday. She only really ate a little frosting but it was good for the picture factor. Plus it tasted pretty yummy.

Sorry, I lost my book months ago and still can't find it.
I'm giving her butternut squash. She might digest fruit better but I don't want to feed the yeast--she's got yeasty bumps on her neck and butt right now. I bet it was the sweet potato that gave her the green poop--I've fed her squash before and she's never had green poop with that even though she doesn't digest it.

Will someone post the apple cake and frosting recipe from BTVC for me? Pretty please

#395 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Annikate View Post

I'm sure you tried this but you didn't mention it so I'll throw it out there. . . .
prune juice? I used to cook up some organic prunes for dd and let her drink the juice. This helped a lot.

I don't know, I'd be reluctant to try the chocolate, but that's just me. Hey, anything to get him poopying! (Does he seem like he's in pain?)
I've tried it before but it's been awhile, maybe time to try again.

He won't even eat the chocolate. And who can blame him? When we DO get chocolate, rare though it may be, it's organic fair-trade chocolate. This stuff is...not even a close approximation. He won't even put it in his mouth . I tasted it and I won't either, so I can totally understand. It's icky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Does it bother your DS to only poop once a week? I know it's not good for them to go that infrequently, but you might not have to "treat" it right away (ie give him a chance to heal) if it doesn't bother him. I don't have any suggestions on practioners but I know firefaery's DS goes to somebody to help with his reluctance to poop. Also, the things that helped my DD poop every day are CLO and coconut oil--she gets 1/2 tsp of high vitamin CLO a day and anywhere from 1/2 to 1 1/2 Tbsp of CO a day (however much I can get her to eat). Since I started those two she's gone every day instead of every 2-4 days. I feel you on the having difficulty getting babies to eat--I can barely get that little bit of CO and an ounce or so of coconut milk kefir into DD every day. Luckily she loves her probiotics. I just put the powder on a spoon and dip my finger in and stick it in her mouth until they're gone. I've started giving her 55 billion CFU's a day of probiotics and she's had some runny poop lately, so hopefully that's the probiotics working on her.
It bothers me because yes, he does seem like he is uncomfortable. He flips all over the place and stiffens his body at regular intervals in his sleep. His belly is distended - you can tell he NEEDS to poop. Not to menbtion how unhealthy it is for him

I'll try the CLO or CO - whichever I can get into him. And I'll try the finger thing. Maybe it will work? Thanks so much, Mamas!

#396 ·
chasmyn, have you tried belly massage? You can massage the large intestinal tract, working backwards (starting on the left --his left) and general stuff. Always work clockwise. Would he stand for a castor oil pack? I have only tried it once, but I know people swear by them.

#397 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
chasmyn, have you tried belly massage? You can massage the large intestinal tract, working backwards (starting on the left --his left) and general stuff. Always work clockwise. Would he stand for a castor oil pack? I have only tried it once, but I know people swear by them.
Do I just massage in circles? My hand takes up his whole belly.

What's a castor oil pack?

#398 ·
Chasmyn, can you just put the powder in his mouth, like in the corner of his mouth, for him to swallow? As far as massage, there are specific techniques for it. You use your fingers not your open hand, and you have to put quite a bit of pressure on them. One is to massage clockwise on his belly, forming and upside down "I L U" (I love you, cute, eh) as described in the Baby Book by Sears. There are also acupressure points you can stimulate that are supposed to loosen up constipation. There is a book called "Chinese Massage for Infants and Children" that shows them. I never pursued it because in our case, ds's sensory issues made it impossible to massage him, otherwise I'd have it and loan it to you. Here is one thing I found online that shows some points for this: http://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.asp?id=246

#399 ·
Quote:

I've tried it before but it's been awhile, maybe time to try again.

He won't even eat the chocolate. And who can blame him? When we DO get chocolate, rare though it may be, it's organic fair-trade chocolate. This stuff is...not even a close approximation. He won't even put it in his mouth . I tasted it and I won't either, so I can totally understand. It's icky.

It bothers me because yes, he does seem like he is uncomfortable. He flips all over the place and stiffens his body at regular intervals in his sleep. His belly is distended - you can tell he NEEDS to poop. Not to menbtion how unhealthy it is for him

I'll try the CLO or CO - whichever I can get into him. And I'll try the finger thing. Maybe it will work? Thanks so much, Mamas!

Chasmyn-are you doing castor oil packs? They would probably really help. All you do is heat a cloth with castor oil (a bunch) on it and apply to hte lower belly. I do it under a onesie, but you could also use cotton tape to adhere it. It is antiinflammatory and very soothing. It woudl relax the intestinal tract quite a bit.

I use a network chiropractor, a PT who is a CST and a homeopath to help my ds with his elimination issues. I find that this approach deals with any possible issue that can't be fixed with dietary intervention.

#400 ·
I am having a flair up of yeast and I cannot do the raw garlic right now, my tummy is not happy. I am doing Candex + protease in between meals. Do I need a yeast 'killer' on top of this? I am thinking of doing a homeopathic remedy too, maybe just plain candida albicans or can albex. I am also drinking water kefir and eating as many fermented veggies as possible. Maybe I need to make nut milk yogurt.

Can we go over again which bacteria strains colonize the gut?

Happy Thanksgiving!

#401 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
Chasmyn, can you just put the powder in his mouth, like in the corner of his mouth, for him to swallow? As far as massage, there are specific techniques for it. You use your fingers not your open hand, and you have to put quite a bit of pressure on them. One is to massage clockwise on his belly, forming and upside down "I L U" (I love you, cute, eh) as described in the Baby Book by Sears. There are also acupressure points you can stimulate that are supposed to loosen up constipation. There is a book called "Chinese Massage for Infants and Children" that shows them. I never pursued it because in our case, ds's sensory issues made it impossible to massage him, otherwise I'd have it and loan it to you. Here is one thing I found online that shows some points for this: http://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.asp?id=246
Thanks Jen!

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Chasmyn-are you doing castor oil packs? They would probably really help. All you do is heat a cloth with castor oil (a bunch) on it and apply to hte lower belly. I do it under a onesie, but you could also use cotton tape to adhere it. It is antiinflammatory and very soothing. It woudl relax the intestinal tract quite a bit.

I use a network chiropractor, a PT who is a CST and a homeopath to help my ds with his elimination issues. I find that this approach deals with any possible issue that can't be fixed with dietary intervention.
I'm not but I'll try them. Our chiro is unfortunately not able to get Kiernen to let her adjust him - he kind of freaks out about it no matter what she tries (and she is very gentle and has good energy and is good with kids otherwise). We're going to see a naturopath in their office and see what she says, too.

#402 ·
Quote:

I am having a flair up of yeast and I cannot do the raw garlic right now, my tummy is not happy. I am doing Candex + protease in between meals. Do I need a yeast 'killer' on top of this?
I'm going to answer my own question, YEs I need a yeast killer and now! I found a liquid form of caprylic acid, what do you think of this?

Quote:
Caproyl, containing liquid caprylic acid (extracted from coconut oil) and oleic acids (in olive oil), is the fungicidal component of the Attogram products. Caproyl contains 1400 mg Caprylic Acid per Tablespoon.

Caprylic acid, a fatty acid, is a broad-spectrum anti-fungal agent effective against Candida albicans and other fungi, but harmless to friendly intestinal flora. It is effective not only against the yeast form of Candida, but also the invasive mycelial form because it is absorbed by the intestinal mucosal cells. Oleic acid hinders conversion of the yeast form of Candida to the more injurious mycelial form. The olive oil in Caproyl is high quality "extra virgin".

* The Caprylic acid in Caproyl, being a liquid has a coating action on the intestinal wall which tablets and capsules cannot match.
* Liquid Caproyl, being dispersed in the Psyllium gel, releases its caprylic acid throughout the entire length of the intestinal tract at a predictable rate controlled by the gel.
* Liquid Caproyl, being dispersed in the Psyllium gel, has its caprylic acid forcibly rubbed into the intestinal wall (where Candida live) by the bulking action of the gel.

Only liquid caprylic acid will work properly with this program. Powdered caprylic acid in tablets and capsules will not cooperate nearly as well with the Psyllium gel, even when crushed first. The caprylic acid in Caproyl, being a liquid, has a coating action on the intestinal wall, which tablets and capsules cannot match. As the liquid Caproyl is dispersed in the Psyllium/Bentonite gel, it releases its caprylic acid throughout the entire length of the intestinal tract.

The following is from the book, Conquering Yeast Infections, the Non Drug Solution for Men and Women" by S. Colet Lahoz about the Caprol:

Caproyl (former name: Caprol), containing liquid caprylic acid (3600 mg per oz) and oleic acids, is a broad spectrum anti-fungal agent against Candida albicans and other fungi.

........Caprylic acids antifungal properties were the subject of a study at the Japanese Niigata University School of Medicine: "the fungicidal effect of caprylic acid on Candida albicans was exceedingly powerful...Caprylic acid exhibits the most remarkable fungistatic and fungicidal properties of all normal saturated fatty acids with even numbered carbon atoms studied.

This information about caprylic acid's powerful antifungal properties was reported by the Japanese in 1961. However not until two decades later was it further discovered by a Canadian, Andrew Gutauskas, B.S. Pharmacy, that the benefits of caprylic acid are further enhanced when its transit through the intestinal tract is slowed. Caprylic acid must exert its fungicidal effect in the intestinal tract or not at all. The longer it can react the better.

Unfortunately, caprylic acid is a substance that is normally quite rapidly absorbed into the intestinal tract and routed directly to the liver. There it is quickly metabolized and does not succeed at entering the general circulation. Just ten minutes after the oral intake of straight caprylic acid, more than 90% can be traced in the portal vein on its way to the liver. For this reason, the quite powerful caprylic acid has little anti-Candida albicans effect, both intestinally and systemically. This fact, however, is significantly altered if its absorption can be somehow slowed, allowing it to remain in the intestine for a longer period of time in order to complete its fungicidal mission. In this program, caprylic acid acquires its needed sustained-release properties from gel, formed by the mixture of Caprol, colon cleansers, and water. This thick gel traps the caprylic acid and slows its transit through the colon.

Uncontrolled surges of caprylic acid into the liver are the most probable cause of adverse reactions to caprylic acid: however, while in this gelled state, caprylic acid does not escape into the liver. It is no surprise, then, that no adverse reactions to this gelled form of caprylic acid have been reported, even among individuals who previously reacted to other caprylic acid products.

Traditional caprylic acid preparations exist as capsules and tablets, but the preference is the liquid form. This mixing causes the caprylic acid to interact with the olive oil, thereby amplifying its fungicidal effects far beyond what caprylic acid has traditionally offered.

........Oleic acid, the second acid ingredient in Caproyl, is found naturally in olive oil. It too, has significant CRC battling effects. Normally harmless Candida albicans (if in small quantities) can convert, or mutate, into a disruptive mycelial form for several reasons - overuse of antibiotics being a prime example. When this happens, root-like tentacles are formed, which allow the new harmful fungi to penetrate the mucosa (or lining) of the intestinal wall and enter the blood stream. From there, the fungi easily gain access to other parts of the body. Oleic acid follows the mycelial, root like tentacles of candida albicans to the base of the root and kills it there. Oleic acid also hinders any additional conversion of Candida albicans yeast into its mycelial fungal form. ....As explained, oleic acid is of great importance in the destruction of CRC.
What about goldenseal as a yeast fighter? This article listed it as a good one to try. http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...ed-thrush.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.