Mothering Forum banner

flu shot while bfeeding

719 views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  aira 
#1 ·
Is it ok to get a flu shot while bfeeding? I've never gotten one but my MD recommended one so I don't infect my 2-month-old. Any advice?

#3 ·
I got the flu shot when my son was about 4 months old.

I didn't get it the year that I was pregnant, and lo and behold, I got the flu!! It was HORRIBLE...10 days of lying in bed wishing I was dead....and since I couldn't take any meds, I just had to suffer through it.

I have been working with vulnerable populations for years now, so I just always get it. It's not even usually a choice for me. I have had no problems thus far, so I am not opposed to getting it. I like to be as natural as possible, but when it comes to risking those I work with, and my son, it's just not worth it.

I fully recognize that the flu shot doesn't guarantee you won't get it, but it REALLY lowers your chances. I mean, what are the odds, that I didn't get it for 4 years, while working in schools and with vulnerable populations, and then the one year I didn't get the vaccine, BAM! I got it!

That being said, I wouldn't get it if I wasn't around vulnerable populations. I got it last year because of the all the play groups and stuff I was going to. But, if I was a SAHM, or only worked with healthy adults, I don't think I would get it. I avoid unnecessary drugs...

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by schmaela View Post
Check out the vaccination forum here. Your MDs logic is flawed. If you get the flu shot, there is no guarantee that you wont get the flu.
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Vaccines are nasty creatures. Read a list of ingredients. Most flu shots have full strength mercury in them.... I'd call that a risk personally.

We don't vaccinate at all.

-Angela
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Yea, run the other way!!!!
:

#10 ·
I am in agreement with all the pp's. No way I'd get a flu shot, pregnant, nursing, or neither.

eta: the only time I ever agreed to a flu shot was last winter, before I stopped vaxing my then 6 month old, and we all (me, my dd, and my dh) got the worst flu I've ever had in my entire life last spring. My dr told me the same thing, get the flu shot, and get my dd the flu shot, and we would all be at "less of a risk"

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lifescholar View Post
I avoid unnecessary drugs...
The flu vax isn't a drug.

http://www.vaclib.org/basic/fluindex.htm

Quote:
The flu vaccine is NOT effective in any age group at preventing the flu.

It is never safe to inject decaying matter mixed with poisons into the human body.

Quote:
Yes, this year's flu vaccine contains mercury. [2006-2007]

http://www.putchildrenfirst.org/flu.html

Quote:
Yes, last year's flu vaccine contains mercury. [2005-2006]
Dr. Mercola's web site: New Flu Vaccine is Loaded With Mercury www.mercola.com

Quote:
FLU Vaccine Ingredients depend upon the manufacturer
# FluVirin, FluShield, FluZone, FluMist, Etc, Etc. All are made using egg or chicken protein
# Influenza viruses (most! are inactivated)
# Neomycin, polymyxin, gentamycin - antibiotics
# Thimerosal [mercury] - a harmful preservative
# Betapropiolactone - a disinfectant
# Nonoxynol - used to kill or stop growth of STDs
# Octoxinol 9 - a vaginal spermicide
# Formaldehyde - embalming fluid used to kill viruses
Yeah, I second that RUN FAR AWAY!!!!!!

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lifescholar
I fully recognize that the flu shot doesn't guarantee you won't get it, but it REALLY lowers your chances. I mean, what are the odds, that I didn't get it for 4 years, while working in schools and with vulnerable populations, and then the one year I didn't get the vaccine, BAM! I got it!
This correlative, not causative.

I mean, I haven't had the flu in ages and never had a shot, but this year we bought a new car and BAM! I got the flu!

Could it also be that four years of innundating your immune system with toxins finally caught up to you and you couldn't fight off the flu when you were preggers? Do you understand how one's immune system changes during pregnancy?

It doesn't lower your chances of flu, either. And as has been said, vaxes don't confer immunity through BM.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jemar View Post
Is it ok to get a flu shot while bfeeding? I've never gotten one but my MD recommended one so I don't infect my 2-month-old. Any advice?
Your doctor is recommending it because he was recently told to recommend it by the CDC. I have two children and one is 9 years old . . . never once did the subject of influenza come up with any doctor nine years ago. But of course since the recommendations were recently expanded to include parents, now all of America's parents are putting their children at risk.

Ask your mother, aunts, grandmother, etc. if they ever worried about infecting their babies with the influenza virus . . . or anything else for that matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.