Mothering Forum banner

Unabridged conversation btw me and mil and sil today...

2K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  velveeta 
#1 ·
Me: I'm excited about cloth diapering this time.

MIL: You know I heard it really doesn't save you any money.

SIL: Yeah, and cloth diapers are worse for the environment. ( me--->
)

Me: Ummm, they actually are saving me tons of money...and how do you figure that they're worse for the environment??

SIL: Disposables nowadays break down really fast, and all the washing that you're doing with the cloth hurts the environment...

Me: Not if you use detergent that is Earth friendly...and actually sposies take a long time to break down...and they release a gas as they do that is really toxic...

MIL and SIL roll eyes and smile politely.....

<-----me knocking some sense into them...

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh, good lord.

I've had someone say that before - "I heard that you actually don't save any money by using cloth, so I figure it's not worth the trouble and the mess."

I said, "No. Actually you save about $2000 per kid, and that's pretty significant to me."

The other issue that wasn't brought up in the conversation b/t you and your in-laws (other than $ and environ.) is that it's healthier for the baby. My quick comeback line is always, "Well I don't wear underware made out of plastic, paper and chemicals. Cotton's got to be more comfortable." But if I'm feeling really fiesty, I might go into something like, "We're talking about chemicals and plastic, not just next to your baby's skin, but their GENITALS. I don't think so."

Good luck for the rest of the holiday.
I'm so ready to leave my in-laws house, you wouldn't believe it.

#3 ·
Is it ONLY $2000 per kid savings? I thought that was for the first one and more for subsequent kids as you weren't laying out the money for the diapers again. Either way, big savings.

A lot of misinformed people seem to think doing laundry is worse environmentally than using sposies. Don't know where their info is coming from.

#5 ·
They are just wrong. All of the "data" that "proves" that washing cloth is harmful to the environment is based on diaper services anyway, who have to use massive amounts of bleach and hot water, because everyone's diapers are being mixed together.

There is nothing, not ONE thing in the "con" column with respect to cloth diapering, except the inconvenience. And since I don't find it inconvenient, there is simply no argument anyone can make against it!

I am proud that I will be able to say I cd'd both of my sons from birth. I am so glad I researched it during my first pregnancy and didn't take the "easy" way out (frankly, i find disposables a pain), even though every one snickered when I said i was planning to cloth diaper.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tannersmommy View Post
The other issue that wasn't brought up in the conversation b/t you and your in-laws (other than $ and environ.) is that it's healthier for the baby. My quick comeback line is always, "Well I don't wear underware made out of plastic, paper and chemicals. Cotton's got to be more comfortable." But if I'm feeling really fiesty, I might go into something like, "We're talking about chemicals and plastic, not just next to your baby's skin, but their GENITALS. I don't think so."
I must admit, I really think which is better for any individual child depends on, well, the child. My daughter's skin responds better to the dryer experience she has in disposables than it does to cloth -- no matter what the cloth diapers are made of. By which I don't mean to say that she's incredibly rash-prone in either cloth or disposable diapers, just that her skin is more likely to get irritated in cloth.

I realize lots of kids have the opposite experience, but that's how it is for her. As for which she thinks is more comfortable, she seems to waffle on that -- sometimes she expresses a preference for cloth diapers, sometimes for disposables.

Anyway, we use cloth despite the fact that I think my daughter's skin might actually be better off in disposables -- I believe it's better for the environment and I know it's better for my pocketbook. We do use disposables when we travel, and occasionally when she does get a particularly nasty diaper rash.

#8 ·
I must admit I always wimp out on getting into the "more enviro friendly" argument by just smiling and saying "well, I have very sensitive skin, and my son does as well, so it just works better for us to use cloth." One of the great things about being a red head is that no one ever argues if you use your skin / hair as an excuse for any number of things.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by skueppers View Post
I must admit, I really think which is better for any individual child depends on, well, the child. My daughter's skin responds better to the dryer experience she has in disposables than it does to cloth -- no matter what the cloth diapers are made of. By which I don't mean to say that she's incredibly rash-prone in either cloth or disposable diapers, just that her skin is more likely to get irritated in cloth.

I realize lots of kids have the opposite experience, but that's how it is for her. As for which she thinks is more comfortable, she seems to waffle on that -- sometimes she expresses a preference for cloth diapers, sometimes for disposables.

Anyway, we use cloth despite the fact that I think my daughter's skin might actually be better off in disposables -- I believe it's better for the environment and I know it's better for my pocketbook. We do use disposables when we travel, and occasionally when she does get a particularly nasty diaper rash.

But for me, the "it's better for them" argument isn't about diaper rash (a relatively benign condition), it's about the potential effects of having the chemicals from sposie gel wrapped around their genitals, all day everyday. The fact remains that they do not yet know the long term effects of that gel, whether it be infertility or something far worse...

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by muppet729 View Post
ONe thing that I heard was that the water that you use for washing is the same as having another person in the house who is using the toilet- which we all hope to have eventually

I think for us our water consumption went way UP after DD potty-learned. I was down to only one load of diapers a week, and flushing the toilet in a week is way more water then we ever used washing that one load

#12 ·
My MIL originally tried to make fun of me and convince me to forget about cloth diapering when I first got pregnant but the more research I did and presented the more she started to realize that I wasn't so crazy after all.

Here are the most useful links that I have found so far that tackle both the issues of infant health and the whole "enviromental" aspect.

The Diaper Dilemma: The Environmental Cost of Diapers
Weighing the environmental costs of disposables versus cloth diapers.
by Susan Crawford Beil

REAL DIAPER ASSOCIATION - DIAPER FACTS

And speaking of water ... because my MIL tried that one on me too ... for those people who actually think that the water argument has ANY validity they should seriously consider stopping showering because of the sheer volume of water that one person will use showering over the course of a year ... which is far more that you will spend on washing diapers.

I think that most people just feel threatened by somebody doing something different from what they did. That is why so many people seem to freak out if you tell them that you want to have a natural birth for example ... because after all they went to the hospital and had their epidural and the whole shebang and so what makes you think that you are above that ... as if it had anything to do with that. But some people just don't like it when others try to step out of the norm I guess.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlissP View Post
But for me, the "it's better for them" argument isn't about diaper rash (a relatively benign condition), it's about the potential effects of having the chemicals from sposie gel wrapped around their genitals, all day everyday. The fact remains that they do not yet know the long term effects of that gel, whether it be infertility or something far worse...
:

Here's a link to info on the health concerns of sposies: Diaper Drama-Your Child's Health

This is the link to the entire article - it's a good one:
The Diaper Drama

#16 ·
Why do people try to debate things when they have no idea what they're talking about? I've already saved almost $1300 cloth diapering my dd and I know that the amount of water I use to wash them does not even compare to the water, trees, bleach, and other numerous chemicals that the disposable diaper industry pollutes our earth with. Not to mention the BIOHAZARD that is left in our land fill!

#17 ·
Quote:
A lot of misinformed people seem to think doing laundry is worse environmentally than using sposies. Don't know where their info is coming from
actually, it all depends on where you live. i have a very crunchy friend whose husband is a scientst (read: huge geek who thinks research is fun!) who spent a lot of time looking into what is best all round, and really, it depends on where you live. if you're living in a desert or drought area where there are regular water shortages, disposables are the better option. if you're living in a area where water is no issue, then cloth is definitely the way to go. where we are, water is not an issue at all, and disposables can go into the community compost so landfill isn't an issue either, so we'll be going with whatever makes baby's bottom happiest.

#18 ·
I just don't understand why outsiders think they even have a right to an opinion on the issue. That is, they can do what they want and feel is best with THEIR kid, but where do they get off telling YOU what is best for YOUR family and YOUR child? Unless they plan on coming over for the 3 am diaper changes, I say they need to learn to zip it.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by katie9143 View Post
You ladies have no idea how much hearing this in-law stuff makes me appreciate the fact that mine are 2 oceans away...

check out this article and this woman's stats if you have a few extra mins - i found it very interesting and have forwarded to several people who questioned my decision to use cloth.

http://www.mercola.com/2006/aug/15/d...le_diapers.htm

That is a great link! Highly informative. I bookmarked it!

#21 ·
Hi,

I hope your not sick of the subject, but my MIL (who I am fortunate enough to love) found info. on gdiapers. They are flushable diapers, cute reusable covers with paper inserts that can be flushed down the old toilet.

http://gdiapers.com

We don't have a washing machine right now and cloth diapers feel overwhelming to me and hubby at the moment. But these seems like a really interesting alternative. Has anyone heard of them before or used them? I'd be curious to hear what people think.

Thanks!

#22 ·
They are a fairly new product but I have heard good things about them. The inserts currently come in two sizes and I have heard that with a larger/older baby the larger size may leak. Maybe it's possible to double up?

I think we will use these when we travel - taking cloth with us overseas was impractical but I hated to buy disposables all the time...we could probably manage to split it with the gdiapers and sposies next time...

#23 ·
I, too, have heard good things about them, and considered using them myself, but IIRC, they were pretty pricey. It probably would be a great alternative for some families(and I have encouraged some of my more mainstream friends to give them a try - it's a step in the right direction), but we have an extremely limited budget. It just wouldn't be practical for us.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by More Veggies View Post
We don't have a washing machine right now and cloth diapers feel overwhelming to me and hubby at the moment.
This item rules for washing small loads of diapers and such.

It's cheap, it's easy to use, it doesn't take electricity, and it's faster than my regular washing machine.

#26 ·
There is a page in the new Pregnancy Magazine Buyer's Guide (as mainstream as publications come) that has a rundown of diaper choices. It mentions traditional disposables and states unquivocally that they pretty much never break down. But there are disposable diapers that are made to be less-impactful, like g diapers (already mentioned) and the magazine also mentioned Nature Boy and Girl diapers, which are made using cornstarch so that they will break down faster. The page also mentioned Fuzzi Bunz and Happy Heinys, and seeing these diapers in a very mainstream pub tells me that cloth diapering is definitely coming out of the total alternative little niche market (slowly, I'm sure).

I doubt the water argument associated with washing is very compelling unless you live in a place where water is such a scarce and precious commodity and I don't think this applies to anywhere in the US.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.