Mothering Forum banner

Scrapbooking Thread!!

22K views 528 replies 92 participants last post by  rosie29 
#1 ·
Do you scrapbook? Sign in here! Tell us what you're working on and how far behind you are
!

I'm kind of an on-again off-again scrapbooker. I'm working on my son's baby scrapbook. I'm up to about week 3 of his life and he's almost 11 months old!
: However, I've done about 5-6 pages in the past week and I'm pretty proud of that.

On a related note, does anyone own a circle cutter? I just bought the Circle Cutter Deluxe by Making Memories. I haven't opened it...wanted to ask here if it's a good one.

See less See more
#478 ·
I'm glad that some mamas woke up this sleepy thread.

I haven't done much scrapbooking in the past few months, in part I think b/c my scrapping area feels totally disorganized. It's in the room that would be my son's if we weren't cosleeping, so it's not for lack of space! But I don't have much in the way of handy organizers, shelving, etc. so papers and tools are just scattered on the floor or tables. Also we are thinking of making this room into a real bedroom, so I don't want to make it in to a scrapping room. How do you mamas with limited space organize your stuff? I mainly need a compact way to organize my papers! Please help!
:

#479 ·
I subscribed to scrapperschallenge yahoo group like someone here recommended, and today read about the coolest thing! It's about packing page kits, and the site I read gave really great directions for doing so. Basically take your page pouch (there's a word for it, I'm blanking out) and tuck in there, in this order,

1) your photos, between 1-10 of event.
2) your embellishments/adornments
3) your papers
and if applicable, 4) your journaling.

Then, when it comes time, you just pull out a kit (or travel to a crop without all your stuff, much easier) and work it! She says it's great for busy moms who can just put it on a counter, and crop a photo here, glue an embellishment there, and not pull everything out.

#480 ·
I'm a newbie...just found this group. I love to scrapbook, but haven't in a few months. I was going to do a gift album for MIL for Christmas but haven't found the time to start, so it'll be a birthday gift. I've finished 3 12x12 albums, one of my pregnancy and the other 2 of my daughter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
Subscribing and happy to find a tribe for this! I've been into paper crafts (cards and scrapping) for a long time, but have been out of the loop. I made a gorgeous, intricate, fat album of....my life with my ex. Needless to say when the relationship ended and I moved to Mexico life was a wee bit chaotic for scrapbooking.
But now, two kidlets later, I'm BACK! I am eager to make a scrapbook titled, SISTERS, themed with my two girls beginning their lives together.

I am wondering: at first I thought, I need to simultaneously do two replicas because they both need one (waaay down the road, as a keepsake). Then I thought, no, it'll just be a treasure that they pass back and forth (or one of them keeps) and occasionally when they get together in life they'll look at it together and share that moment. Any thoughts on this?

To date, they each have a scrapbook/journal (more journal, but with some pics and pieces of memorabilia), and a baby photo album (with just the best pictures put into a photo sleeve album). I figure they can each have their baby albums and this SISTERS scrapbook will more chronicle their specific relationship.
Then a family album would be in order as we start to do things more as a family...
I am a firm believer in the "start where you are" philosophy because otherwise I would never begin, being too daunted by all the pics I haven't scrapped.

What about printing out blog entries, anybody doing that? Forgive me if it's a stupid question and you've already discussed it. I actually read the entire thread (which took me several days) and near the end the entries started swimming...
Thanks a lot for giving me more stuff to think about!!
I have one of those people who overthink everything and plan to the hilt, so now I have something else to ponder...grrr....
It took me long enough to decide if my scraped photos should ALSO go in the regular photo albums (they do). Now I have to make sure I have enough albums to go around. I guess I'll make sure each child has at least one album of just them as babies.

#481 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve's Wife View Post
I
Thanks a lot for giving me more stuff to think about!!
I have one of those people who overthink everything and plan to the hilt, so now I have something else to ponder...grrr....
It took me long enough to decide if my scraped photos should ALSO go in the regular photo albums (they do). Now I have to make sure I have enough albums to go around. I guess I'll make sure each child has at least one album of just them as babies.
Tee hee! Sorry to complicate matters for you. My parents separated out a bunch of photos of each of us (3 kids) and made photo albums (horrid sticky page things) for each that chronicles our life, and gave it to us when we came of age. They included pics of the others but each was selected because it somehow highlighted the specific person.

#483 ·
Hello Scrapping Mamas! Is anyone working on their scrapbooks over the holidays??? I am! And I'm going to use the new Sizzix machine DH gave me for Christmas!
Actually, I feel a little guilty that I even own it...I told him several times prior to Xmas that he should not buy me one (it came up in conversation b/c I had borrowed a friend's in August and he knew how much I liked it) because the machines and accessories are so pricey, IMO. But he splurged and got that for me, along with some dies and embossing plates. My sister did the shopping for him. Somehow I'll forgive him for not following my directions.
Anyone else get any new scrapping toys/papers/etc for Christmas? Also, if anyone knows of websites with great die-cutting or embossing ideas, I'd love to check them out.

#484 ·
No scapping stuff for Christmas, but I do have the scrapbooking bug right now. I'm waiting for my new carpet to come (impatiently) because I'm going to set up a craft area with two big tables in my dining room (we have a breakfast area where we eat, so the dining room is just waiting for me to use it!!!!!!!).

#485 ·
Well my mom gives me scrapbooking things for christmas the past two years. So this year i was kinda expectingi t, BUT when i went over to my grandmas(my moms, moms house) there was a present for me and when i opened it, it was a sewing machine. Which i was very excited fro too, cuz i just found a new passion in sewing. so yeah i got that so i didnt thinki was going to get any scrapbooking. Well my grandma calls me and says i have a package here that your mom sent(may i also say the reason it was sent was cuz i live in utah and my mom in Texas) so i went to go pick it up just expecting it to be for my daughters christmas from my mom. But when i went to get it there was a huge and man do i mena HUGE basket full of scrapbooking stuff. I was so excited. So yeah i an so in scrapbooking mood, but i have been so tired lately i think im pregnant with ym second. But ok ill stop babbiling. talks later to everyone. Have fun scrapbooking!~!~

#487 ·
It has been a few months since I've posted to this thread, but my husband and I recently decluttered our office and now I have room to spread out and really work on my scrapbooking stuff. I found a couple of inexpensive tools to help me with organization...I bought a 22 pocket shoe organizer that hangs over the back of the office door and I am using it to store stuff like the 'thanks to you' kits, stickers, etc that used to be in shoeboxes. It cost less than $7 and is helping me a lot to be able to find things without having to *dig* for them.

The other thing is a 4-drawer clear organizer I bought on clearance at office depot. It was $5. It is clear acrylic and the drawers are just the right size to hold my pens and that tool that you use to lift up misplaced stickers. (I love that thing. It has saved me many stickers because I often have the 'help' of my 3 year old daughter when I'm trying to work on an album!)

I do have some of the CM pen cases, are they called Journal Mates? I think I'm going to keep one for going to workshops or whatever, but I'm going to sell the others. I have 2 normal blue-ish ones and one mini one that is pink that held 8 special edition color pens. I also have a CM sticker/accessory binder that I'm going to sell. It has some 'official' CM storage pages, and some pages that I got from Michael's that are not CM but are supposed to be acid/lignin free/blablabla. I want to recoup the cost of the acrylic drawers and the shoe thing that I'm using now, and maybe make a little money to buy some stickers for the baby girl album I'm going to start pre-making for this one due in April.

If anyone is interested please feel free to PM me, I'm going to list them in the trading post in the next week or so! I'm going to try to keep up with this thread too, I've been reading back from when I last posted and have gotten some great ideas already.

#488 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosie29 View Post
Do you scrapbook? .
No but i'm wanting to start, not sure how yet either do a big one for all 3 of my dc and start with chloe at the begining, then chloe and cameron and then chloe, cameron and caitlin or do one each what do you think sounds best? if i do a big one for all 3 it will start with pregnancy days and chloes scan pics, pics of chloe as a baby and then go on to pregnancy with cameron and scan pic while still haveing photo pages etc for chloe, then camerons birth , pics of chloe and cameron together going up to pregnancy with caitlin, scan pics, birth and then pics etc of all of them.

#489 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by beckyand3littlemonsters View Post
No but i'm wanting to start, not sure how yet either do a big one for all 3 of my dc and start with chloe at the begining, then chloe and cameron and then chloe, cameron and caitlin or do one each what do you think sounds best? if i do a big one for all 3 it will start with pregnancy days and chloes scan pics, pics of chloe as a baby and then go on to pregnancy with cameron and scan pic while still haveing photo pages etc for chloe, then camerons birth , pics of chloe and cameron together going up to pregnancy with caitlin, scan pics, birth and then pics etc of all of them.
I'd suggest just going chronologically...Start with the first baby, and go from there. I wouldn't try to do all 3 kids' baby pics, then all 3 kids' 1st year pics, etc. Chronologically would be easier to organize, in my opinion. Also...what if you have another baby? You'd have to go back and change things! This is how I'm working. I do think that I might go back someday and do a special album for each girl, just a small one, like a 7x7 album for their baby years, but that's something I can work on when they're grown. For now I have all I can do just trying to keep up with the current events of their lives!

#490 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
a recent page
Looks great, I love it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiestabeth View Post
Hi Ladies!

Just wanted to let you all know I am raffling a bundle of Creative Memories products to support the Holiday Helpers!

Complete info and entry instructions here.
What a great idea - how did it go?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosie29 View Post
I'm glad that some mamas woke up this sleepy thread.

I haven't done much scrapbooking in the past few months, in part I think b/c my scrapping area feels totally disorganized. It's in the room that would be my son's if we weren't cosleeping, so it's not for lack of space! But I don't have much in the way of handy organizers, shelving, etc. so papers and tools are just scattered on the floor or tables. Also we are thinking of making this room into a real bedroom, so I don't want to make it in to a scrapping room. How do you mamas with limited space organize your stuff? I mainly need a compact way to organize my papers! Please help!
:
As mentioned below, Scrapper's Challenge. I recommend it to everyone!

Quote:

I subscribed to scrapperschallenge yahoo group like someone here recommended, and today read about the coolest thing! It's about packing page kits, and the site I read gave really great directions for doing so. Basically take your page pouch (there's a word for it, I'm blanking out) and tuck in there, in this order,

1) your photos, between 1-10 of event.
2) your embellishments/adornments
3) your papers
and if applicable, 4) your journaling.

Then, when it comes time, you just pull out a kit (or travel to a crop without all your stuff, much easier) and work it! She says it's great for busy moms who can just put it on a counter, and crop a photo here, glue an embellishment there, and not pull everything out.
I love love page kits (and it's a page protector you are putting everything into). I have a PSB with all my page kits-in-progress, and a Sterilite box (smallish) with my most frequently used supplies, which makes me super-portable.

I didn't do any scrapping over the holidays b/c I wanted to focus on spending more time with my kids w/o the distractions of housework. Ever since I started working part-time over the summer, I have less time for them. I miss my scrapping, but I'll get back to it someday.

#491 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by beckyand3littlemonsters View Post
I always scrap the most recent things first and work backwards. It helps me get fresh journaling down quickly and keeps me from feeling constantly behind. When I put my albums together, it's completely chronological, with the very occasional themed exception - wedding, vacation, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
For now I have all I can do just trying to keep up with the current events of their lives!
I've said this here before, and discard it if it has no value for you, but I have found it very helpful to *not* think in terms of being "caught up". I scrap for fun, not to have another item on my to-do list!

#492 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megs Mom View Post
I've said this here before, and discard it if it has no value for you, but I have found it very helpful to *not* think in terms of being "caught up". I scrap for fun, not to have another item on my to-do list!
This is a great attitude...If I do find that I'm working more than 2-3 months in the past at any given point, I do try to write a few lines about the events in new envelopes of photos I'm getting back and I drop it in with the pictures. That gives me a little head start on my journaling when I 'catch up' to that point

#493 ·
Yesterday my husband took our kids out to spend their holiday gift cards and left me home for a few hours, I managed to do 5 pages. I think I would have done more if I'd been more organized before they left, but I had to sort through some newly printed pictures, I started a new album, etc etc etc. If I had the same opportunity today, I think I'd get twice as much done.

How many pages a week, approximately, do you all get done?

These are pages in a 12x12 album, by the way...

#494 ·
Quote:

Yesterday my husband took our kids out to spend their holiday gift cards and left me home for a few hours, I managed to do 5 pages. I think I would have done more if I'd been more organized before they left, but I had to sort through some newly printed pictures, I started a new album, etc etc etc. If I had the same opportunity today, I think I'd get twice as much done.

How many pages a week, approximately, do you all get done?

These are pages in a 12x12 album, by the way...
I can usually do one or two pages a night if I have the pictures ahead of time. I only scrap once or twice a week though, and november and december was taken up with albums I did for other people.

#495 ·
If anyone has some cute ideas for a 2 page layout of Sea World, I'd love to see them...We live in FL and go there a few times a year, and I am running out of ideas!

I'd be willing to share mine as well, but I need to figure out how to use a photo-hosting site, and how to take pictures of layouts that don't end up looking awful.

So there's question #2: How do you take a photo of your scrapbook without it looking really strange?

#496 ·
Quote:

If anyone has some cute ideas for a 2 page layout of Sea World, I'd love to see them...We live in FL and go there a few times a year, and I am running out of ideas!

I'd be willing to share mine as well, but I need to figure out how to use a photo-hosting site, and how to take pictures of layouts that don't end up looking awful.

So there's question #2: How do you take a photo of your scrapbook without it looking really strange?

don't use a flash it can reflect off the protecors, stand it up right if you can and make sure that there is good lighting. I've found that natural lighting if possible works really well.

#498 ·
Quote:

Ambrose, I can't remember if I let you know how VERY MUCH I am enjoying the stuff you sent!!!! I was so excited and happy opening it and can't wait to play!
Thanks!
YAY!!! I was wondering if you got it or not. I figured you did but with the holidays was distracted. I'm so so so so glad that you liked it.

#499 ·
I went to a scrapbooking thing at my friend and cm consultant's house Friday evening. It was billed as a 'swap and crop' but I didn't bring anything to work on, because last time I went (last fall, she was a new consultant then) I found it to be too crowded and I was still dealing with a lot of early pregnancy morning sickness) I ended up not staying very long. I did bring some things to trade, mostly thanks-to-you type stuff, and got to meet a couple of new people, and have some yummy snacks before I left.

She's planning on doing this once or maybe twice a month, so next time I'm going to be prepared and bring some work! Do you all ever go to workshops like this, and what do you tend to bring? I think that I'd need to bring my pictures, of course, and the album I want to put them into, and some cutting tools, and adhesive, and paper, at the minimum.

#500 ·
I have GOT to get motivated!!!!! What is wrong with me?? I love to scrapbook and I haven't touched me stuff in forever! Why can't I get into it with any consistency?? I so wish I had a place I could leave my stuff out! I would scrapbook all the time!

Kick my rear ladies! I'm so far behind!!!

#501 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post
I have GOT to get motivated!!!!! What is wrong with me?? I love to scrapbook and I haven't touched me stuff in forever! Why can't I get into it with any consistency?? I so wish I had a place I could leave my stuff out! I would scrapbook all the time!

Kick my rear ladies! I'm so far behind!!!

: that is me totally. I have the most BEAUTIFUL STUFF!!! I have been on the scrapperschallenge list for a while, and have gotten some good ideas--on organizing etc--just not implemented them. It's hard to scrap when you are disorganized like I am. The suggestions on that list ROCK but I still haven't done it--just a couple things like starting "packs".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.