Mothering Forum banner

What are we all doing for babywearing?

1K views 46 replies 31 participants last post by  MandyWelch 
#1 ·
I've got a mei tai and a pouch sling for DS 1. I never used either when he was newborn so I'm super excited! I'd love to buy, like, 20 more pouches, but I'll settle for 1 new pouch for this baby. Found a site that gives a free pouch for daddy, too. http://www.withchildgifts.com

#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post
I actually prefer the Moby . . .I sold my HaB and kept my Moby!
oh, do you mind elaborating on that one? id love to know why you chose one over the other...

im looking for a stretchy wrap. main thing is that i want it to be very very soft. the softest possible. a friend got a moby and i thought it was ok, kind of like a tshirt, but a thick not so soft tshirt. i want something softer than that...
from the reviews i read on thebabywearer it seems that the hugabub is supersoft but maybe im wrong?

anyway, id be happy to learn from you about the HaB vs Moby.

#29 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveMySofie View Post
oh, do you mind elaborating on that one? id love to know why you chose one over the other...

im looking for a stretchy wrap. main thing is that i want it to be very very soft. the softest possible. a friend got a moby and i thought it was ok, kind of like a tshirt, but a thick not so soft tshirt. i want something softer than that...
from the reviews i read on thebabywearer it seems that the hugabub is supersoft but maybe im wrong?

anyway, id be happy to learn from you about the HaB vs Moby.
To me, the Moby was a lot softer than a HaB-- that is one of the main reasons I preferred it. It is thicker, but I didn't see that as a bad thing.

You might also consider the Cuddly Wrap. That is also softer than a HaB.

BTW, don't go by the # of stars in the reviews on TBW for these wraps. . .from what I've read in general there for stretchy wraps, people rate them in comparison to something like a SNuggli vs in comparison to other stretchy wraps.

If money isn't an issue, I'd get whatever-- they will all work fine. However, Mobys and Cuddly Wraps are SO much cheaper and you won't be using a stretchy forever. So, if $ is an issue, I'd buy a cheaper stretchy and then put that money you saved into a great woven, if you don't have one already. If you do want a HaB, definitely buy used because they lose a LOT of value. From what I've seen, they go for around $85 new and only around $40 used. Mobys are around $35 new and around $30 used (but look and you can get one under $30). So, buying used means you can get either for about the same price.

#30 ·
I have a Maya ring sling. I got rid of my other slings because I only reached for the Maya time and time again.

We hold onto the Bjorn because Dh likes it...

I am, of course, totally drooling over and dreaming about getting a storch and a babyhawk. I hesitate because I'm not sure I would like all of that fabric, and might wind up being tempted to attack it with my sewing machine and turn it into something else. And I hesitate on the babyhawk because I had a mei tai, but didn't really like it. I keep trying to rationalize ordering one anyway because the other one I had was blue (and I don't like blue) and because it was a different brand...

#31 ·
All this talk has me interested in a wrap...but they don't look super simple to put on. Of course, they look really comfy for long-term baby carrying (meaning several hours at a time), which I'll likely be doing.

So now I'm lusting after a Moby! I haven't looked into the non-stretchy ones though - any thoughts on non-stretchy ones? I have an ergo, so I probably won't be using the wrap for a back-worn toddler.

I just shipped my ergo back to exchange for color - hope it all goes well!!

MissInformed/Kristen: Did you like the Nojo and Over the Shoulder carriers? My SIL has one similar to the OTS and pretty much never uses it in favor of her Maya wrap. They both seem really bulky - but they are also the easiest to find in baby stores, at least the ones I see. You could definitely find some sleeker, less structured slings or wraps. As I said, I'm new to the wrap thing and am looking into a Moby. I think a Maya wrap ring sling is a great, simple ring sling, sleeker and more versitile than the Nojo or OTS (no padding, a bit less structure). Pouches are super easy for newborns - just pop them in and out - but they outgrown them fairly quickly. It's such a personal decision - b/c it's like picking clothes for yourself, only you know what you'll wear and be comfortable with. I think Mei teis are a great idea - but I hate wearing them, tied around the waist and across the chest and the tails hanging down - it just makes me feel really frumpy. But other folks love them.

#32 ·
Quote:

To me, the Moby was a lot softer than a HaB-- that is one of the main reasons I preferred it. It is thicker, but I didn't see that as a bad thing.

You might also consider the Cuddly Wrap. That is also softer than a HaB.

BTW, don't go by the # of stars in the reviews on TBW for these wraps. . .from what I've read in general there for stretchy wraps, people rate them in comparison to something like a SNuggli vs in comparison to other stretchy wraps.

If money isn't an issue, I'd get whatever-- they will all work fine. However, Mobys and Cuddly Wraps are SO much cheaper and you won't be using a stretchy forever. So, if $ is an issue, I'd buy a cheaper stretchy and then put that money you saved into a great woven, if you don't have one already. If you do want a HaB, definitely buy used because they lose a LOT of value. From what I've seen, they go for around $85 new and only around $40 used. Mobys are around $35 new and around $30 used (but look and you can get one under $30). So, buying used means you can get either for about the same price.
Thanks for such great advice, I really appreciate it. Here is where Im at right now. Im embarrased to say this but... I want to sell my new Didymos Julian
without even trying to learn how to wrap with it.
It came in the mail not long ago, and Ive been holding it and fiddling with it and its just.not.me. For more than one reason. I have found a local NINO group where Im going to go to a meeting, and Julian was going to go with me but as of yesterday I made up my mind to just sell it.
So I am going to have the $$ from this sale to spend on whatever other wrap.
So let me ask you this-assuming $ is not an issue- what would be the softest and most fine fabric out of the three wraps- HaB, Moby or Cuddly Wrap? Its going to be extremely hot here in Los Angeles, and I just dont want something thick or ill never use it.

#33 ·
Becca- the Nojo and OTS were okay. I liked the OTS better than the Nojo this last time around....the Nojo was a little too big for me and stretched out feeling....but dh used that one when he carried cause the OTS was too small for him. I don't remember what sizes I got. Anyway, it was fine for quick, short trips while baby was small. But, anything extended or after baby was bigger just really pulled on my shoulder. I'm planning on buying a wrap for this one...either making my own or buying a Moby maybe. I just think that will be much more comfortable for extended wear (which I tend to do)...and I'll have the ergo for when they're bigger....or for my ones now who will of course want to be carried too.

So mamas...pros and cons of Moby?

#34 ·
Well, I have a few wraps, all made by me
My favorite is a linen one that I made, really lightweight. I also have a few rayon ones from my Hawaii days. I am sure I might get some summer use out of them here.
I also have one mei tai that I made, I gave the others away. I really, really am thinking of getting a freehand. But I mostly just use wraps. The only reason to get another mei tai is because of the RAIN here, insane amounts of rain and the thought of putting on a wrap in the rain with two other kids running around...
: But considering how much I used my mei tai last time, I am not sure if I can really justify it.
I, personally, never really liked stretchy wraps and all my kids are light weights. I really like the tightness I can get with my wovens. And I like the light weight fabrics, rayon was a wonderful thing in Hawaii, and when it got wet at the beach it dried really quick. Of course these are things I don't have to worry about this time

#35 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveMySofie View Post
Here is where Im at right now. Im embarrased to say this but... I want to sell my new Didymos Julian
without even trying to learn how to wrap with it.
It came in the mail not long ago, and Ive been holding it and fiddling with it and its just.not.me. For more than one reason. I have found a local NINO group where Im going to go to a meeting, and Julian was going to go with me but as of yesterday I made up my mind to just sell it.
So I am going to have the $$ from this sale to spend on whatever other wrap.
So let me ask you this-assuming $ is not an issue- what would be the softest and most fine fabric out of the three wraps- HaB, Moby or Cuddly Wrap? Its going to be extremely hot here in Los Angeles, and I just dont want something thick or ill never use it.
Nothing to be embarrassed about! I sold/returned many a wrap for that reason-- they cost so much $, you'd better be happy with it!

Since you are dealing with heat issues, I would probably not get a Moby. I have only seen/felt (briefly) a Cuddly Wrap . . .I don't remember how thin it is, but I've read it's thinner than a Moby and I do know it's softer than a HaB. You may have lucky with a Bali Baby Stretch. I've never tried one, but I've heard good things. (Personally, I did NOT like the Bali Baby Breeze and sold mine right away.)

But, you might want to consider not getting a stretchy at all and just going for a thinner woven. If you get one used/broken in they can be very cuddly. EllaRoos are good thin wraps . . .I don't know much about other thin wraps because I stick to those. I'd ask on TBW for more suggestions.

#36 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post
All this talk has me interested in a wrap...but they don't look super simple to put on.
They do get simple, believe it or not. For a long time you can pretie, leave the wrap on all day, and just pop the baby in and out as you need to. This is easier with a stretchy but definitely possible with a woven.

Pros and cons of the Moby-- well, when you wash it, it shrinks. Then you have to keep retying periodically while it stretches back out. I think this is true of all stretchy wraps. I avoid washing mine for this reason! It has more bounce than a HaB, which is nice in some ways, but then a bit less supportive. Pros-- it is so cuddly and the poppability is great, so in some ways it is an easier beginning wrap (for a young baby).

If you are only going to buy ONE wrap I would get a woven. It will last throughout your babywearing days.

#39 ·
I have an Oopa Baby sling, New Native carrier, Kozy carrier, and hugabub.
I really want a KK adjustable fleece since I keep hearing great things about them with newborns!
My new native often hurt my back would that be comparable to a KKFP or are they different?

#41 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by avasmom View Post
I really want a KK adjustable fleece since I keep hearing great things about them with newborns!
My new native often hurt my back would that be comparable to a KKFP or are they different?
I think it depends why it hurts your back . . .it could be the way you are using it, it could be the wrong size, or it could just be that you need a 2 shoulder carrier.

I think, though, that fleece is absolutely the most comfy material for a pouch, and that it is can be hard to make a non-adjustable pouch work (size wise). New Natives tend to run really big, so it is possible that your pouch is just too big for you. If you want a non-adjustable, something like a hotslings is better because there are more sizes.

#42 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taliabc View Post
Does anyone know anything about the metromamma wrap? I am looking at that one and the Hug-a-bub- Can't seem to figure out the difference really- I have low back problems-so I definitely need a wrap- any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I see you are in Illinois . . .I am, too. There are at least 2 local NINO groups (one in Naperville and on one the northside of Chicago) where you could try out wraps in person.

If you have low back problems, I probably stay away from a stretchy wrap and stick to a woven. The support is just better!

#43 ·
Quote:

Nothing to be embarrassed about! I sold/returned many a wrap for that reason-- they cost so much $, you'd better be happy with it!

Since you are dealing with heat issues, I would probably not get a Moby. I have only seen/felt (briefly) a Cuddly Wrap . . .I don't remember how thin it is, but I've read it's thinner than a Moby and I do know it's softer than a HaB. You may have lucky with a Bali Baby Stretch. I've never tried one, but I've heard good things. (Personally, I did NOT like the Bali Baby Breeze and sold mine right away.)

But, you might want to consider not getting a stretchy at all and just going for a thinner woven. If you get one used/broken in they can be very cuddly. EllaRoos are good thin wraps . . .I don't know much about other thin wraps because I stick to those. I'd ask on TBW for more suggestions.
Thanks again! You're awesome and full of great info!
It just so happened that I may be buying a used HaB from an MDC mama! I think its meant to be
But I will remember your rec on the Cuddly Wrap. Since Ill be getting the HaB used, maybe ill get a Cuddly Wrap too.
Im also wanting a mei tai. I have no clue where this sudden lust for carriers comes from-all I had with dd was a stinky bjorn. I didnt know anything about any other carriers!!!
Im thinking a mei tai from Catbirdbaby.com (an MDC mama recommended it awhile back, and ive heard nothing but great things about it since). But Im thinking I gotta be sure about that one, because its $$ and well I gotta stop playing around with buying stuff and then having to sell it!

#44 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taliabc View Post
Does anyone know anything about the metromamma wrap? I am looking at that one and the Hug-a-bub- Can't seem to figure out the difference really- I have low back problems-so I definitely need a wrap- any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I was looking at the exact same two wraps too! I was all set on the metromamma when I discovered HaB. So Ive been going back and forth between the two! I would LOVE to know how the MetroMamma wrap feels.

#45 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by avasmom View Post

I think that your back would be okay with the KK pouch because baby sits pretty high up. I tried on a couple of New Natives at a store when ds2 was a wee babe and wasn't crazy about how low they carried him. I could see how you would have lower back pain with it. With the KK pouch, ds sat over my ribs. If I carried ds for long periods of time in it, my shoulder would get sore from supporting his weight, but I didn't get my pouch until ds was almost 3 months old, so I'm sure that made a difference.

#46 ·
We have a little of everything too.

1. A bjorn that my husband lives in
2. A fleece Kangaroo Korner pouch that I live in (forest green...so pretty!)
3. Two homemade mei tais we use a lot in the summer
4. A homemade summer print pouch
5. An ergo for my toddler to ride in while the new babe in is the pouch
6. An old New Native organic cotton pouch for occasZional use by kids 2 and up (pretty stretched out!)
7. A moby wrap for longer adventures
8. A framed backpack for my husband to wear on longer outdoor adventures

#47 ·
Right now I have a Sachi MT and a Zolo cotton ring sling. I love my Zolo but ds never liked the mei tai.

Like many of you, I really want a wrap but can't justify paying the $$ for the Didy I really want when all it is is a long peice of fabric...you know, nothing very difficult to make. I have a friend IRL who has I think every baby carrier on the market! She is one of our local leaders of NINO. Maybe I ought to hit her up for one of her didy's

Mandy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.