Mothering Forum banner

February Decluttering Challenge

10K views 299 replies 76 participants last post by  MommyErin 
#1 ·
And so starts the February Decluttering Challenge. If you are lurking, join! Make your goal small. Your goals could be a certain number of items, a certain room, or rooms, a number of boxes/bags, anything. If you see something that isn't blessing your life, you haven't used it in years, you have no place to put it, let it go!

So my goal for February is 20 boxes/bags/big items(like furniture or such)

#203 ·
Whoo-Hoo! This is fun. I cleaned out half my room (it's really horrible) and I have 12 bags. About 6 of trash stuff, 3 of too small clothes I put on freecycle, 2 bags of too small or too big clothes I am keeping (maybe not actually getting rid of, but they are bagged up and in the closet where they belong). And 1 bag of misc stuff for freecycle. So 12/20 bags!!!!

#204 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by marybethorama View Post
I'm actually seeing SPACE It's so amazing. I'm beyond thrilled
Isn't it great? I'm so enjoying all of the empty space in my house. I've found that being in rooms (in my house or others' homes) with a lot of clutter makes me really nervous. Maybe I'm getting a little Zen-like in my old age?

#207 ·
Iced in here today in the 'nati with the kiddies home from school. Great day to declutter -- another box of stuff! My dining room table is full! Now if the weather clears, I can load up the car and get to SVDP.

I feel a little sick about it today, though, when I realize how much sh** I've accumulated for no good reason. What a waste of money and energy. <SIGH>

I feel like Scarlett O'Hara -- "As God as my witness, I'll never fill this house with useless crap again!"

#209 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by seren View Post
Whoo-Hoo! This is fun. I cleaned out half my room (it's really horrible) and I have 12 bags. About 6 of trash stuff, 3 of too small clothes I put on freecycle, 2 bags of too small or too big clothes I am keeping (maybe not actually getting rid of, but they are bagged up and in the closet where they belong). And 1 bag of misc stuff for freecycle. So 12/20 bags!!!!

Cleaned up the living room, dinning room, kitchen. 4 more bags. 16/20 YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#210 ·
A few more things:

2 soothers (neither of my girls would take them)
1 pr dh's old socks
1 badly stained shirt
18 expired medications (most were samples that my sister the pharmacist gave us)
1 empty Advil bottle
1 old water bottle
1 lip balm
1 eye cream
2 bottle of weird cream

53 + 28 = 81/500

#211 ·
We took all the boxes to the recycling center today, I had already counted most in Jan, yes they were in dhs truck for that long...but we added two dish packs filled with packing paper that I guess we were saving for the next time we moved. We did try to freecycle these 4 times, but 4 no shows
: and figured we would get rid of everything at once.

#213 ·
We got rid of this stuff over the weekend...

3 tools bought to redo a desk we no longer have
3 big empty boxes
4 big piles of papers
3 desk decorations
1 big bag of broken toys and stuff
5 empty cd cases
1 used up coloring book
-------------
20 items

40/150 items Total

#214 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchymomof2 View Post
I wasnt really decluttering per say today. But I got rid of 52 items.

52/500
Ok so after much procrastination I have items to add lol. 130 plus another 125

307/500

YAY over half way

We are going to be looking for a house in the next month or two. I am definately taking as little as possible. Ill be decluttering each month as I can. Probably not the month the baby is due though lol.

#217 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by my2girlz View Post
Cleaning off my desk. 30 more things in the trash.

559/500
Yesterday I organized my statements that have been piling on my desk. I through away 1 stack of junk.

I sold 5 items yesterday.

So far I've thrown out 6 things from cleaning out my purse and doing 5 min. tidy ups in the kids' rooms.

So I'm adding 12 to my total.

571/500!

#218 ·
I just found you today and my apartment is in serious need of decluttering, I dont know how I've never found out about this before! THis is my first challenge and we are already halfway through the month, I'm going to set myself a goal of 500 items. Shoot high and reach for the moon!!!! I'm nursing ds right now, and anxious to get started as soon as he's done!

#219 ·
i just spent a half hour going through some of the baby/kid clohes in dd room and bagged up 78 baby boy items that ds has outgronw and 44 little girl items that dd has outgrown so im up to 122 not bad for my first day, i think right now while im nursing ds(again) ill gather some of the junk off of this computer desk!

#221 ·
I cleaned a bunch of junk out of my bathroom (including all that old make-up I don't wear--thanks to the poster who started the thread about it!) and sold a bunch of stuff on the TP.

I also cleaned out my closet so I have a big bag of clothes to get rid of (not "counting" those items until they're out of the house, though), dh and I are giving our TV to someone who works in our building, and we're moving a ton of stuff into storage (we just found out we have a free bathroom-sized storage space in our building...I am BESIDE myself with happiness). The storage stuff also won't get counted, though--as it's only out of sight, but not out of my life.

Anyway...up to 68/100!

#224 ·
I haven't been keeping up with posting so I keep forgetting what I've dumped.

2 women's shirts

3 kids books that were out of batteries or ripped

1 strange, small plastic 'cooler'

bag of baby towels, shoes, and clothes to teenage moms' charity (8 items?)

1 outgrown baby sweatshirt

returned 2 borrowed baby shirts

cleaned out 4 cabinet drawers- how to count stacks of papers? I'll just say "30"

The thrift shop is coming around for a pickup next week, so I want to have more stuff ready by then so I can get rid of things with no effort on my part! Will list more stuff on freecycle today (that is, IF the people show up!
: )

47 more items outta here!

#225 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
My goal...hmmm...is...

-10 bags of "stuff" (anything) to be given away

-4 bags of clothes to be given away or sold for cheap

-5 bags of papers to be recycled or shredded (I know that sounds nuts, but I am a major paper collector, a habit I'm desperately trying to break!)
Last night I finally got rid of some stuff on Freecycle! Whoohoo! 3 bags of kitchen stuff. We also just recycled an entire Xerox box full of shredded paper...I think that counts for two bags.

5/19!

#226 ·
finally rounding and counting it all up:

20 expired toiletries
1 computer monitor
55 things
1 sink

i have to add another bag of books, and magazines....but so far, 77/300

it's starting to seem like it could actually happen...especially if dh gets on board.....

we are always in routine decluttering mode, and don't seem to buy much....but it is amazing what you can come up with...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.