Mothering Forum banner

February Decluttering Challenge

10K views 299 replies 76 participants last post by  MommyErin 
#1 ·
And so starts the February Decluttering Challenge. If you are lurking, join! Make your goal small. Your goals could be a certain number of items, a certain room, or rooms, a number of boxes/bags, anything. If you see something that isn't blessing your life, you haven't used it in years, you have no place to put it, let it go!

So my goal for February is 20 boxes/bags/big items(like furniture or such)

#255 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lanamommyphd07 View Post
I went through my magazine rack yesterday morning and donated 30 of those mainstream parenting magazines, etc., to the office waiting room. What's terrible is that I had to read through half of them before I realized there was nothing of value in them (but I already knew that).
I struggle witih what to do w/ these. I think I got a free sub. for ordering diapers online. I don't really want to donate them or give them to anyone b/c I don't want to pass along that info to new parents- kwim? So I feel bad about it, but they're going straight into the recycling bin. I need to just cancel the sub to save paper- those mags are such a waste.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellyaellen View Post
i finally decided to get rid of the infant car seat. i know i want a convertable for the next one so why hang on to it yk?
Oh, I forgot to count that. I also threw away an infant seat- we didn't use it as a car seat, just a seat for the baby to sit in at home, and I didn't want to give it to someone else or to the thrift shop for fear they'd use it as a car seat and it isn't safe. I hated putting in the trash but I guess a child's life takes precedence over one more piece of plastic in a landfill

Anyway- trying to update more often so I don't forget what I've gotten rid of:

-aforementioned car seat
-about 40 hangers
-4 outgrown AIO's- freecycler actually showed up!!

-4 useless baby toys
-2 of my outgrown/old shirts

more stuff waiting to be freecycled but I'll wait till they're gone to count 'em.

#256 ·
I've been making some HUGE progress!
Got rid of 6 bulking baby things.
Tub - glad it was borrowed because it we only used it 2 times.
Jolly Jumper
Baby wipes warmer - again borrowed and never used
Boppy - borrowed and used the heck out of
6 huge huge tubs of baby clothes.
Phew ... what a huge weight I have given away.

You know I'm eating healthier. I am feeling lighter ... this living simply and giving things away has ramifications on sooo many things. The way I think, the way I feel ... everything

My new thought is: If I have something that I am not using, I am keeping this item from someone who may use it.

So out out out everything goes! Getting ready for our big move back to the west coast! Our plan is to travel with one car and one hitch. My dream of dreams would be to simplify so much that we only move with our car and clothes and some sentimental mementos. Now wouldn't that be nice!

#257 ·
Well, I don't think I"ll be doing the den this week. I think that will be my goal for next months' challenge.

I got a little "Fly Lady" inpired and went through each room and decluttered at least 15 items in each room. I finally went through and added to the garage sale pile:
23 cookbooks
4 vases
6 candles
10 magazines
3 purses
2 wallets
10 items of clothing
12 cups

I also went through the pantry and cleared out about 15 food items to go to our local charity. Plus I probably tossed about 25 old recipe cards.

Total for the month: 439/500

I might just up my goal a little! We'll see!

#258 ·
I have been feeling so unmotivated lately! I did finally finish cleaning our room, I threw away/put in goodwill pile 50 more things conservatively! Now I have to get DH to go through his clothes and shoes!
Next project is the basement!
:

#259 ·
Hey,

I hope that it is okay that I am posting in this. I know I don't have a goal in my signature but I do in my mind.

One thing that is soooooooooo hard for me to get rid of . .
. . . . is my ds clothes that he has grown out of but I have a bag full for my sister (due in late April, she and her dh decided they wanted to be surprised, so if they have a girl I will have to give them to some else
).

You all are doing a great job you're so inspiring.
:

Happy Decluttering.

#262 ·
I'm on a roll! The thrift shop came and did a pick up today, but I already counted those items. It's nice to have my closet cleared out of bags though!

One more reliable freecycler! Took 12 baby food jars, 4 baby spoons, and a sippy cup.

Also gave 3 unused chux pads to midwife.

Add 20 more to my total!

#263 ·
1 big empty box
1 badly stained kids outfit
1 unwearble maternity shirt
6 items in a swap
1 broken plastic toy
-------
10 items

30/150 Items

I've got a long way to go
I'm going to spend the kids nap time working on going through each room quickly. My Inlaws will be here this weekend so it would nice to be done by then. My MIL is one who has everything perfectly disinfected and decorated. We on the other hand have small children and live in our apartment. I'll feel better knowing I've gotten some stuff cleared out at least if she decides to go with her usual crticism. Please excuse my vent.

#267 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
= 223/250

Almost there!!

+ 28 more items, including:
pair of stained sweatpants that I won't ever wear
lots of cheapy toys
some outgrown clothes

= 251/250

This is the first month that I've actually met my goal!!

Woo-Hoo!!

#268 ·
Jumping in late, but I already got rid of a lot of stuff to a friend who was collecting stuff for a charitable cause. Since I found we have to move, I have to get rid of a lot more stuff very fast. I already have a lot of things in mind (most stored in our garage) and I have a couple charities I will donate them too. Just getting it done...
:

#273 ·
Did another run through the house, this time I had my oldest help. When we got to his room I told him that he needed to find 15 items that he no longer wanted. He was done in less than two minutes
: ! I didn't think it would be that easy. I than told him that once a week we were going to do this and he got excited!

So today we got rid of 87 items. Our new total is:

633/650

Our neighborhood holds a garage sale every year. Usually it's in May but we got the flyer yesterday and it's March 31. So I'm aiming for 700 this month and another 700 next month for the sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.