Mothering Forum banner

Pregnant plus size Mams, come here!!

32K views 441 replies 96 participants last post by  deany 
#1 ·
In the thread for plus size pregnancy pics there's been an interest in having a forum for plus size pregnancy chatter, so I'm hoping this can be it!!

Come on plus size mamas that are pregnant...ask questions, get support, etc.

See less See more
#402 ·
i dunno but i want one too. mine is REALLY narrow and hurts my butt to sit in it. the sides of my butt too! owww.
i have seen some soft gliders, that kind of look like fancied up fru fru lay-z-boys those might be an option for us.
they are just so damned expensive.

#403 ·
Hi,
Just found this thread, am very glad it's here.

I am 290, plus size and pregnant. Dh and I are having issues with this (our first) PG, not related to weight. I don't want to go into details here on my first post and TMI everyone...just wanted to drop in and introduce myself.

I'm 35 (36 in 2 weeks), so, yes, I've got age against me too. I live in New Jersey and work full time as a teacher.

Annie

#404 ·
welcome to the thread Annie! and to MDC!!!!

i personally say, there is never TMI. but then again i am pretty known for just spouting off details of my cervical fluid. hahahaha

#410 ·
I want a lazy boy so bad!! I wish they made them with cotton instead of that nasty velour stuff though...maybe I should go check them out, haven't been to the lazy boy store in a long time. It is HOT here in the summer, and I can't imagine wanting to sit on it in the heat...

Oh, my mom got me some maternity clothes from that super cheap lane bryant store online(someone posted the link a while back). SHe spent $112 and I got 2 pair of pants, 2 really cute skirts, and 5 shirts!! Pretty dang good deal!

#411 ·
What a neat thread! My name is Liz and I am 24. I am not currently preggo but have two beautiful little girls. Before I got preggo with my first I was a size 8 and then by the time I had my second I was a size 18. I am currently a size 14 and am working my way down. This is a wonderful thread...when I was pregnant I was hard on myself because most of the mama's that post belly pics etc are skinny and have perfect little bellies and that def. is not me! Lol.

#412 ·
Okay, I've just read the ENTIRE thread, all 21 pages so far. *Phew*. Time for my intro

I am not currently pg, although after this week that may change (have my first u/s to check follie growth tmw, and hopefully first IUI Thursday!!) though I am a plus-sized mama to one DD, 7, and DSD, 10.

I started my first pregnancy (at age 18) at 220 lbs. Ended up at 258 the day I was induced, and the day I got home from the (c-section
: ) I weighed 225.

That was long ago, and since then I've been down to 185 (via eating about once every week or so, not good, I know) and up to 275. I'm now about 248 (down 22 lbs since fall, and *not* from starving, tyvm
) and desperately hoping to get pg this week! I am 5'8", and have been told that I "carry it well". Every time I'm at the docs office they start at 150, and seem really surprised to have to go up another notch. I wear a size 18 usually, 20 for jeans (yay for hips!)

I am a little confused, though. Some of you posted that you shop for maternity wear at old navy...but when I looked online, all of the jeans they had stopped at an XL (size 18). I guess I could hope that with the elastic waist they fit, but since I also need a tall size, I'll probably stick to Lane Bryant, where I *know* the jeans are actually long enough for me.

I'm hoping to HBAC this time, though trying to convince DP of this will take some work
. I didn't have any BP or GD issues with DD1, and my BP is actually always pretty low, so I'm hoping that through eating carefully (and trying desperately to cut out Pepsi...though I HATE water, so that'll be interesting) I can gain/maintain whatever my bambino needs, nothing more, nothing less.

I am aware of nutrition, as many of you have said. I am also aware that I didn't get to my current weight by being the model of health and exercise. My problem is that if I try to "diet" the anorexic hidden inside me awakens and takes over. If I try to count calories, it'll be a disaster. Instead I plan to eat healthy things, when I'm genuinely hungry for them, and let the calories take care of themselves.

Also, since I've never been much of an exerciser (I break out into hives any time I sweat...ugh!) I plan to do some prenatal yoga, and take walks around the neighborhood with DW. Not enough to necessarily lose any weight, but enough to get my heart going decently.

I am concerned with "looking" pregnant. Though with as flabby as DD1 left me in the tummy area, even when I'd lost 75 lbs, I could still look semi-pg if I poked my tummy out enough
. I guess I'll be buying copious amounts of "Baby on Board" shirts!!

Nice to meet all of you, and hopefully I'll be complaining of morning sickness or something soon!

#413 ·
Hello ladies! I'm joining in!

I'm Jen, 29 yo (30 in a month!). I'm about 30 weeks along with our little girl, after losing our first little girl last April at 24w (unknown causes). I'm pretty similar to the last post of a Jen, though I'd kill to be 5'9!
I'm 5'7", started off this pregnancy at 188, and I'm up at 205 right now. I was planning on gaining 15-25, so I'm doing pretty good so far.

I was interested to read the pp about midwives/OBs making comments about weight! I haven't had any problems with our providers in either pregnancy, and my GD test was normal. If anything, I've been nervous about not gaining MORE weight (which just adds to my basketcase/previous loss-ness anyway!).

So....heeeelloooo..

#415 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Bunny View Post
Hi,
Just found this thread, am very glad it's here.

I am 290, plus size and pregnant. Dh and I are having issues with this (our first) PG, not related to weight. I don't want to go into details here on my first post and TMI everyone...just wanted to drop in and introduce myself.

I'm 35 (36 in 2 weeks), so, yes, I've got age against me too. I live in New Jersey and work full time as a teacher.

Annie

Are we the same person? You sound so similar to me, it's kinda scarey.

#416 ·
We found out yesterday that we are having a boy! His name was Abby Sue but we had to change it to Nathaniel and middle name will be after one of our dads.

I am still spotting off and on at sixteen weeks. Doctor was pretty gloomy about that but we are going to try to stay positive. Baby has been a fighter so far.

#417 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momuveight2B View Post
We found out yesterday that we are having a boy! His name was Abby Sue but we had to change it to Nathaniel and middle name will be after one of our dads.

I am still spotting off and on at sixteen weeks. Doctor was pretty gloomy about that but we are going to try to stay positive. Baby has been a fighter so far.
Congratulations! That's fun to know. Just know that your little guy is going to make it and he will. Your Dr. should be positive, not gloomy! So here are positive thoughts coming your way...

#418 ·
My name is Emily and I'm 31 weeks pregnant with my first child, a girl. She's due in May. My husband and I are very excited. I am a Plus Size momma and my pregnancy is extremely low risk - no GD, no hypertension, no pre-eclampsyia, low swelling. I hope it stays that way! I am carrying my baby very high and so it's hard to get clothes that fit. It makes me angry when I go into maternity sections or stores and they cater to the smaller pregnant women. I mean, do they not think that plus size women get pregnant?

#419 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kireiemiri View Post
My name is Emily and I'm 31 weeks pregnant with my first child, a girl. She's due in May. My husband and I are very excited. I am a Plus Size momma and my pregnancy is extremely low risk - no GD, no hypertension, no pre-eclampsyia, low swelling. I hope it stays that way! I am carrying my baby very high and so it's hard to get clothes that fit. It makes me angry when I go into maternity sections or stores and they cater to the smaller pregnant women. I mean, do they not think that plus size women get pregnant?
Congrats on your healthy pregnancy and little girl to be! I've had nothing but trouble finding maternity clothes too. Apparently if you're a fluffy mama, you're either a. not supposed to get pregnant, b. supposed to be ok with just getting bigger clothes, or c. not supposed to care how crappy and tacky most of the plus size maternity styles are, IF you are so fortunate as to find them big enough. Very frustrating! You would think with as much as everyone has complained about America's expanding waistlines, SOMEONE out there would get a clue that there just MIGHT be a market for nice looking fluffy mama maternity!

#420 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightRose View Post
Apparently if you're a fluffy mama, you're either a. not supposed to get pregnant, b. supposed to be ok with just getting bigger clothes, or c. not supposed to care how crappy and tacky most of the plus size maternity styles are, IF you are so fortunate as to find them big enough.
Don't forget d) have GIGANTIC boobs.

#423 ·
Quote:

Congrats on your healthy pregnancy and little girl to be! I've had nothing but trouble finding maternity clothes too. Apparently if you're a fluffy mama, you're either a. not supposed to get pregnant, b. supposed to be ok with just getting bigger clothes, or c. not supposed to care how crappy and tacky most of the plus size maternity styles are, IF you are so fortunate as to find them big enough. Very frustrating! You would think with as much as everyone has complained about America's expanding waistlines, SOMEONE out there would get a clue that there just MIGHT be a market for nice looking fluffy mama maternity!

Actually didn'tyou know, fat women don't have sex? How on earth would we get pregnant?!

#424 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
Actually didn'tyou know, fat women don't have sex? How on earth would we get pregnant?!

LOL, I am thinking of being a midwive that caters to plus size "fluffy" mamas.

Might as well open up a Plus Size Maternity Shoppe too!

Ah, dreams are nice.

#425 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post

Yeah... we don't??? Dang... I've been having my some vivid dreams then!
And it seemed so real... what I'd like to know is how we've all been reproducing asexually and managed to stay out of the media.

#426 ·
Quote:

Yeah... we don't??? Dang... I've been having my some vivid dreams then!
And it seemed so real... what I'd like to know is how we've all been reproducing asexually and managed to stay out of the media.

Ditto that! Look at my siggie!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.