Mothering Forum banner

March Decluttering Challenge! (think Spring!)

9K views 295 replies 64 participants last post by  anthasam 
#1 ·
Welcome to the MARCH decluttering challenge!!
If you participated in last month's challenge, feel free to share your accomplishments & what you'd like to do differently this month.
Post your goal- whether it is number of items gone, number of bags, rooms, whatever works for you

Are there items that haven't been used in a long time, are just taking up space, or have been outgrown? Time to get those outta there!

Last month I met my goal of 250 items. I think I reached 280 or so, so I was pretty psyched about that

This month I'm going to shoot for 300 items.. I know my laundry room will add quite a few to my total

See less See more
#179 ·
I went though my daughter's tubs of clothes for 0-12 months and got rid of 47 things, mostly out of the 6-12months stuff. Made myself get rid of the adorable pants with no shirt to match, cute sleepers that were a pain to put on and take off, and a few things I just didn't like! Probably could/should have gotten rid of more, but we're working on getting licensed for foster care so will hopefully be in need of clothes in the next few months

I'm hoping to go through her too-big along with the last too small tubs of clothes some today. There are a lot of hand-me downs in the too big stuff that I didn't even like.
Melody

#180 ·
I haven't read this whole thread, but I've seen the "decluttering challenge" bits in others' siggies and thought I'd come check it out.
I am in some SERIOUS need of decluttering motivation. I can visualize in my mind where I eventually want to be, but then when I compare it to where I'm at... it just feels like an impossible task.
I've started and stopped and started and stopped several times over the past couple of years, but now I feel the need to start and NOT stop. DH and I will probably be moving later this year, so if I get rid of a bunch of stuff then it will be a lot easier to move.

I'm going to make a March/April goal of 200 items, and 3 "tasks". (I have a big list of "tasks" that need to be done, too, that won't necessarily get rid of anything but will still be accomplishments.

Wish me luck!

#181 ·
I got rid of another pile of papers that had been lurking in our filing boxes. I also sat down with the filing boxes for 2 hours and created hanging files for things that need to be filed, consolidated others, and eliminated some. So now I only have relevant stuff in the filing boxes, and only a small stack of stuff left to file (ran out of time). Also set aside some maternity clothes that don't fit for consignment. This afternoon, I will tackle the other box of random papers and stuff, as well as the top of my dresser.

kristin
mom to dd (5 1/2), ds (2 1/2) and #3 due in June

#183 ·
Seeing so many of you exceed your decluttering goal is just the boost I needed. Took advantage of the wintry weather to head back to the basement for more...

Progress:

59 books to a local bookstore in exchange for store credit
2 books to my mom while she was visiting
5 books sold on amazon
18 annual reports and outdated investment prospectus stuff recycled
1 never used infant swim diaper to consignment shop
1 bag of shredded papers trashed

New total: 148/600

I'm still a long way from my goal but the month is still young! I've got a box of books ready to go to a used book sale and, if the weather cooperates, I'm going to do a big "curb alert" posting next weekend on freecycle. DH is away, so that means my evenings are free for sorting and purging!

#185 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydmom View Post
I'm going to do a big "curb alert" posting next weekend on freecycle. DH is away, so that means my evenings are free for sorting and purging!
I have done this on Craigslist with a few things now. I just post that it's free and curbside. It's gone that day every time!

2- old phone books recycled
1- oak mirror sold on Craigslist (I made $50 too! Woo!)

3 items today.

266/250

16/250 toward my second goal

(I'm totally obsessed with this now.)

#188 ·
i posted a long reply last night but ds eraesed it. ack!

anyway i've been plugging away at it. like a pp i decluttered all my clean laundry. it has taken two good days to get it all folded and put away but it is out of the living room.

decluttered all the dirty bed clothes from the kids room. (of course its all still sitting in the back of the car waiting to go be washed...
) threw away some random trash while i was in there. got dd to put all her dirty clothes in the hamper. have the top of the dresser almost clutter free!

been working through the laundry and actually filled a box w/ stuff that doesn't fit and isn't worth keeping.

still need to work on my e-bay closet...

and the kids closet....

but i've been kicking ass in the garage and even added a new goal for the month. i want to de-clutter my bathroom/linen closet.

#189 ·
Didn't get much done this weekend. I'm dealing with a lot of depression/anxiety and turmoil regarding my home business lately and am having a hard time coping to be able to focus during the day... For the most part I'm keeping up and still managing to do a decent job at Mommying and basics, but anything extra I just can't manage. I sit zonked in front of the tv or computer whenever free time comes along usually.

On the plus side- hubby went through his pants today and got rid of 4 pairs
I went through all the too-big clothes and took out everything not worth saving- pants that didn't match anything, clothes that were very worn, and things I just didn't like or weren't practical. DH and I have almost completely gone through a box and a hamper that had been filled with random stuff since we moved here 3 years ago! I went with my mom to 'Shipshewana on the Road' today, a well known flea market I'd never gotten the chance to go to which travels round the state during the winter months, and hardly spent anything!! I got a few scented oil things for a souvenir I've had almost 3 years and still never used- now I can!, and 2 inexpensive classic kids books. I went through all my bulletin-board borders and materials this weekend and gave 2/3 of them today to my mom's best friend who is a missionary in Bosnia
They went from not being able to close the bin plus a grocery bag stuffed to ALL fitting in the one tub, which feels so good.

#190 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTmama1 View Post
Didn't get much done this weekend. I'm dealing with a lot of depression/anxiety and turmoil regarding my home business lately and am having a hard time coping to be able to focus during the day... For the most part I'm keeping up and still managing to do a decent job at Mommying and basics, but anything extra I just can't manage. I sit zonked in front of the tv or computer whenever free time comes along usually.

On the plus side- hubby went through his pants today and got rid of 4 pairs
I went through all the too-big clothes and took out everything not worth saving- pants that didn't match anything, clothes that were very worn, and things I just didn't like or weren't practical. DH and I have almost completely gone through a box and a hamper that had been filled with random stuff since we moved here 3 years ago! I went with my mom to 'Shipshewana on the Road' today, a well known flea market I'd never gotten the chance to go to which travels round the state during the winter months, and hardly spent anything!! I got a few scented oil things for a souvenir I've had almost 3 years and still never used- now I can!, and 2 inexpensive classic kids books. I went through all my bulletin-board borders and materials this weekend and gave 2/3 of them today to my mom's best friend who is a missionary in Bosnia
They went from not being able to close the bin plus a grocery bag stuffed to ALL fitting in the one tub, which feels so good.
well shoot, if that's not getting much done, you must be a force to be reckoned with when you DO get a lot done! that sounds great!!!
:

#191 ·
Didn't do a lot this weekend, but got rid of a few things.

*Base from the dustbuster we haven't had in 2 years
*Box from a serving platter that broke last summer
*Paper towel holder hanging on the wall in a room where we don't use paper towels.
*Old light fixture that we took down 3 1/2 years ago and shoved in a closet.
*Really cheap folding chair that I was afraid to sit on.

Plus, I have 5 bags of stuff to deliver this week. I'll add that on once it's delivered. They go to the pregnancy crisis center, the consignment store, and the food/clothing pantry. I also have about 100 plastic grocery-type bags to be recycled, but I haven't decided if I'll count those individually or as 1. (Plus they have motivated me to start bringing my own bags.)

#192 ·
OH MY GOSH!!! How did I forget this one????

I got rid of...
*16 bottles!!!!
*1/2 canister of formula
*1 box of formula singles

DS is officially weaned off of bottles and that nasty, nasty formula!!!!!!YAY!!!! I know most of you BF, but we couldn't, and haven't even been able to pump for the past 8 months, so this is a HUGE deal for us. Never again will I have to tear up as I am making the bottle, since I hate that I couldn't BF. Know what, maybe I'll count one extra thing I've gotten rid of...the guilt! YAY!

#196 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay'smom View Post
OH MY GOSH!!! How did I forget this one????

I got rid of...
*16 bottles!!!!
*1/2 canister of formula
*1 box of formula singles

DS is officially weaned off of bottles and that nasty, nasty formula!!!!!!YAY!!!! I know most of you BF, but we couldn't, and haven't even been able to pump for the past 8 months, so this is a HUGE deal for us. Never again will I have to tear up as I am making the bottle, since I hate that I couldn't BF. Know what, maybe I'll count one extra thing I've gotten rid of...the guilt! YAY!

I'd count the guilt as more than one thing!! Congrats Mama! I'm so happy for you!

#198 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by my2girlz View Post
16 items from cleaning out my car and some of my bedroom

658/900
Just taking a little break. 32 items pulled from the the kids' bookshelf and a stack of papers on the kitchen island.

690/900

#201 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
Previous count= 87

Plus 53 more random items gone..

140/300
I hope to add quite a few more this evening

+ 5 more items.

We were heading out today to run some errands and I knew we would be near Goodwill, so I grabbed a plastic shopping bag and looked around for 5 items to donate. It didn't take long, of course, but the important thing is that I remembered to drop them off at Goodwill!! That's HUGE for me
I'm great at bagging stuff up, but actually getting it to Goodwill is a bit of a challenge.

Anyway.. I'm at 145/300, but hopefully I'll be able to add a few more items tonight!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.