Mothering Forum banner

When does dilation start?

39K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  theretohere 
#1 ·
I'm 35 weeks, and apparently my cervix is still really tight. This is my first... but I was hoping that at my OB appt yesterday there would be some indication of progress. I would love a 38 week baby... Any thoughts about when it is realistic to expect something to happen??

#2 ·
oh mama....no expectations is best! dilation can start anytime from now to when contractions kick in. there is no rule, estimation or even educated guessing game. kick back, relax & enjoy the final days of your pregnancy because a "watched pot never boils," ykwim?

i know how you feel, though. my mw asked if i wanted to be checked at my last visit but i declined because i simply don't want to know! even if you DO start dilating it could be weeks. i just know if i anticipate a early babe, this little guy will come at 42 weeks!!!

#4 ·
I think with my first I didn't start dilating until over 38weeks but I know that is not the same for everyone. He was 1 week late. With my 2nd I can't remember but am thinking it was between 37-38 weeks and he was 1 week late. This time seems to be the same thing...I'm only now 1 cm dilated at 38 weeks. It is a little frustrating -- I know how you feel. I've also had weeks of contractions with all 3 pg before the baby comes (This week mine have started up every single day I have a ton of BH contractions...I think this must be how my body gears up for labor).

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by doulalove View Post
oh mama....no expectations is best! dilation can start anytime from now to when contractions kick in. there is no rule, estimation or even educated guessing game. kick back, relax & enjoy the final days of your pregnancy because a "watched pot never boils," ykwim?
You mean I'm not allowed to plot my BH contractions vs. time on an excel spreadsheet for analysis? shhesh, you guys and DH, always squashing my good ideas!

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
You mean I'm not allowed to plot my BH contractions vs. time on an excel spreadsheet for analysis? shhesh, you guys and DH, always squashing my good ideas!

that seriously made me laugh out loud!

#7 ·
I dialted at 40+ weeks when I went into labor with my son, not before. I think checking for it is silly actaully and I refuse internals at this point because you could walk around dialated for weeks and not go into labor or you could walk around closed tight and be in labor in 2 hours!

#8 ·
I'd try really hard to get the thought of a 38 week baby far, far out of your head. With dd, I was so anxious. When the midwife showed up at my house for my 36 week visit and announced that I could safely have my baby anyday from then on I really got my hopes up. I was convinced that she was going to come on the full moon at 39 weeks. I really did think she would come early and on the night of the full moon I even made dh go out and take a walk with me at like midnight for an hour because I was sooooo ready. When I hit 41 weeks and 6 days I was so desperate to have her and get it over with. I went and got acupuncture to help get my labor started. She was born at 42 weeks 1 day.

Most first time mamas go an average of 10 days past their EDD.

I would seriously consider skipping any cervical checks until you've at least hit your due date. I wonder why your OB would want to check you at 35 weeks anyway?

#9 ·
Thanks guys! I know that having any expectations are unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be
That also made me laugh out loud. I could so see doing something like that if I though it would do me any good whatsoever...

As for why they are checking, I had cervical surgery about ten years back, so they are concerned that the pg might cause premature opening of the cervix. They've been checking me since about 24 weeks because of it.

#10 ·
I am one of the rare first-time mamas who went early (38.5weeks) but NOTHING happened until I actually went into labour. And then I did like 21 hours of labour and only got to 3cm. But from hour 21 - 24 I did the balance 7cms. That was fun....NOT. So nothing happened in advance for me at all.

This time I'm sure I'm 1 or 2cm dilated already but I started out that way as I don't think everything ever sealed up tightly after the first time around.

ILANA

#11 ·
I didn't dilate at all until I went into labor with my DD. I asked my midwife to check me on my due date and my cervix was thick, long and closed. I was so depressed, but DD was born 3 days later. On the other hand, I had a doula client who was a first time mom and she was dilated to 4 cm for a week and a half before her baby was born. Try not to worry about it - dilation doesn't mean anything.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessma View Post
As for why they are checking, I had cervical surgery about ten years back, so they are concerned that the pg might cause premature opening of the cervix. They've been checking me since about 24 weeks because of it.
If you don't mind me asking--What'd you have done? I had cryo.

#14 ·
i got checked through the early part of my third trimester with my second due to ptl issues. i was still closed (though effacing) at 35 weeks. i didn't get checked again until about 30 minutes before dd2 was born at exactly 37 weeks.

with my first i got checked on a thursday or friday and was still closed up tight. i went into labor 2 days later...

#15 ·
well obviously your cervix is not opening early so I would refuse any more internal exams. They are not going to help you now.
you are nearly done.........only about a month left! Hang in there and dont worry about when baby will come.

I have only had 2 internal exams late in pregnancy and those were with my last pregnancy. I had to travel to CA at 38 weeks. I had an exam at 37w3d and nothing at all was happening. When I arrived in CA, I had another exam at 39w and still nothing..........I ended up going into labor at 40w3d. I might have been completely closed up right until labor started.

#16 ·
ditto what everyone else said. It really means very little. I was 2cm for over a month with my first. With this one I am refusing internals since all it did was make me crazy last time. FWIW dd #1 was 8 days late, or right on time for a first babe.

Hang in there I know how hard it is to wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.