Mothering Forum banner

Annoyed

601 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Ilana 
#1 ·
I had my 36 week home appointment with the midwife to make sure my house was okay. In case of emergency the stairs are a bit tight to fit a stretcher down so we talked about bringing the futon down and me birthing in he living room, which I just agreed to because I didn't want to be obstinate or anything, but I think when it all comes down to the wire I'll aim to give birth in my bedroom like last time, where I'm most comfy.

So the baby is engaged and at 36weeks I'm measuring 33.5 weeks, which doesn't suprise me because she feels quite low to me. But the midwife said she's small, which I knew, but she didn't brush it off like it wasn't an issue. At the same time, it wasn't really an issue either, but she counselled me to make sure I'm eating enough. I don't think I am but to tell the truth, I'm not hungry and when I do eat more than a bit it hurts everywhere in my midriff because I don't have much space. I am not having cravings which normally I can interpret to figure out what my needs are.

So I'm going to try REALLY hard to just keep my protein up as high as possible but I'm SO tired of being told how small I am by everyone. I start to question myself and my body wisdom. My daughter was small, my husband and I are not big people, but everytime someone asks me how far along I am and I say 36 weeks they gape at me and say they expected I'd say five months. ARGHHH!! I'm not THAT small!

Anyone else dealing with the "you're too small" thing?

ILANA

See less See more
#3 ·
I get it all the time. They ask when I am due and than say; "really!! You are very tiny" I then feel I have to validate my size or something. I was even smaller with my daughter and she was 8lbs 3 oz.. When I tell people that they look at me like I am making it up. I guess I just hide babies well.

As annoying as it is don't worry you are growing the perfect size baby for you.

#4 ·
I got that a lot when I was pregnant with my daughter and measuring 2-3 weeks behind. Some said, "Oh, a 4th of July baby?" and my friend says "No, a Cinco de Mayo baby!" and the guy was a bit shocked. She was a week early and 7 lbs 3 oz - totally normal. I know it sucks, but people are just darn nosey and bold and talk without consideration to how we feel.

#5 ·
Oh, Ilana
to you! I definitely hear where you're coming from. I have been measuring a little small throughout, too, and also have had to deal with people sounding shocked when I tell them how far along I am. Last week at the DMV a woman talked my ear off the whole time I was waiting to be called because she was so sure I was only around 5 or 6 months. She even asked me how much the baby currently weighed and if I was eating enough
:.

I felt like I did well eating at the beginning (thankfully, no ms), but I share all of the same issues with you: baby is engaged and I've been carrying low (and therfore measuring a bit small), not feeling really hungry for anything and worried about/needing to eat less because my whole mid-region feels stuffed!

I don't have any advice for you, but please know you are not alone
. I'm tall (5'8'') and weighed 110 before I got pregnant, so I just don't think a 10 lb. baby is my future. I just keep reminding myself (as SamGroom pointed out) that our bodies grow the right size babies for US. Hang in there!

Alana

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilana View Post
I had my 36 week home appointment with the midwife to make sure my house was okay. In case of emergency the stairs are a bit tight to fit a stretcher down so we talked about bringing the futon down and me birthing in he living room, which I just agreed to because I didn't want to be obstinate or anything, but I think when it all comes down to the wire I'll aim to give birth in my bedroom like last time, where I'm most comfy.

So the baby is engaged and at 36weeks I'm measuring 33.5 weeks, which doesn't suprise me because she feels quite low to me. But the midwife said she's small, which I knew, but she didn't brush it off like it wasn't an issue. At the same time, it wasn't really an issue either, but she counselled me to make sure I'm eating enough. I don't think I am but to tell the truth, I'm not hungry and when I do eat more than a bit it hurts everywhere in my midriff because I don't have much space. I am not having cravings which normally I can interpret to figure out what my needs are.

So I'm going to try REALLY hard to just keep my protein up as high as possible but I'm SO tired of being told how small I am by everyone. I start to question myself and my body wisdom. My daughter was small, my husband and I are not big people, but everytime someone asks me how far along I am and I say 36 weeks they gape at me and say they expected I'd say five months. ARGHHH!! I'm not THAT small!

Anyone else dealing with the "you're too small" thing?

ILANA
: i getthe " your so tiny" alot up until about 37-38 weeks. now people thing im soooooooooo huge ughh.

#7 ·
Quote:
I would have a cow at that, suggesting you ARE going to have to go to the hospital!

The whole point of a HB is to birth where you want.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post
I would have a cow at that, suggesting you ARE going to have to go to the hospital!

The whole point of a HB is to birth where you want.

Yes, but that's what I get for deciding to birth within the system. Last time I had underground midwives but these are under provincial domain and have protocol to follow so I just said uh huh uh huh but I plan to birth where I want to, upstairs on my bed. It's all about emergency preparedness, which is a real bummer to discuss, but this homebirth thing within the system is new in Quebec so I guess I kind of understand why there is so much overkill.

Thanks all for your reassurance on the size thing. I'm so glad to know I'm not alone. This baby is growing as she's meant to be growing and I know it so I really just have to tune it all out. DD was small, I'm not big, DH is small, so why would I produce a 10lber? So long as she's not considered low birth weight (which is what, like 5lbs or under??) what's the big freaking deal?? DD was 6lbs12oz and about 20 inches long but she's the healthiest, biggest kid compared to all her peers. I think I'll just dig out my eardrums for the rest of the pregnancy so I don't hear the comments.

ILANA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.