Mothering Forum banner

Dingos - it's May - come tiptoe (or run, walk, or wog) through the tulips with us

47K views 2K replies 49 participants last post by  kerc 
#1 ·
Come run, walk, jog, wog, waddle, cross-train or whatever with us - just be active as we enjoy the spring weather!

Newbies and old-timers alike are welcome

See less See more
#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
eksmom - under most circumstances, last years skeeter spray should work fine. shake well and spray away.
Good to know, thanks! I think I got that notion from another natural products maker who once told me that the shelf life of her lotion was not that long. Still, I will be ordering more from you before long, we need lots of that stuff (and I want some of the soap for myself this time!).

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkinseed View Post
drjen-i was one of those w. a horrible gpa my 2nd semester freshman yr
Pumpkinseed, were we separated at birth? 2nd semester freshman yr was my worst - I ended up getting academic warning. Woo-boy that made for a rough summer at home. I don't remember my exact GPA but I think the highest grade I got was a C, my grades were like C, C-, D+, D, or something. I actually took the fall of my sophomore year off. It was getting close to time to go back and I finally realized I wasn't ready. So I worked at Chick-fil-A and took Calculus at the community college. By spring I was ready. My overall GPA at graduation was something like a 3.12 but I had a 3.9 something in my major, which I tried to emphasize on my grad school applications, and they seemed to be OK with it.

I think it's hard on a lot of 18-19 yr olds to go straight to college. There were some things that I didn't gain a more mature perspective on until I was about, er, 25?

Quote:

Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
how do you do this multi quote thing?
See at the bottom of each post the button next to the quote button? It has quotation marks and a plus sign. Go through and click that button on all the posts you want to quote (at least on one page) and then hit quote on the last one as well, and it will give you all of them to work with in your posting box.

#30 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
I saw all the times from my race on Saturday and I came in 3rd out of a total of 31 women running the 10K. My pace was 8.52 which for me, is great! The 2nd place finisher was about a minute ahead of me. The first place finisher was a full 10 minutes ahead though
!
most excellent!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
so in the great backpack dilemma, it seems that I totally HATE the framed ones. good to know, right? we tried on two at REI and it just felt bizarre, although I think ds liked them better. Oh well. I am fine with the stroller, it is just so bulky in some situations. Or I guess I could get crafty and make some sort of big kid hybrid MT.....hmmm....it's not the AP aspect, just that I love MT's and my kid won't be in one.

take care mamas, must go maintain sleepy dd. If anybody has any ideas on how to get a 4.5 year old to go back to sleep in the morning, please lmk.
: she wakes up when ds gets up to nurse, about 5:45, and then drags all day bc she's so tired. we've tried laying with her, letting her in our bed, nothing has worked.
I don't think framed backpacks aren't ap...in fact I think they are very ap and continue to allow a child to be close. I do think they are easier once the said child is older. Beth I don't really care for framed backpacks either - they are uncomfortable. Not to mention once my dd was ready for it she was getting really heavy for me anyway. Sleeping with 4.5 year old. I play dead in bed. Sleep breathing and pray

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I think it's hard on a lot of 18-19 yr olds to go straight to college. There were some things that I didn't gain a more mature perspective on until I was about, er, 25?

See at the bottom of each post the button next to the quote button? It has quotation marks and a plus sign. Go through and click that button on all the posts you want to quote (at least on one page) and then hit quote on the last one as well, and it will give you all of them to work with in your posting box.
I agree about the maturity level. And thank you so much...this was my test drive. I love it!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Totally!

I wanna be home in time to run with Janessa, but since E is coming with me on that run, it can move a bit later than normal.
So when were you thinking? We usually go to church in the morning, getting home around noon. We could walk over to the park if the weather is as pretty as they say it's going to be.

#31 ·
PL: 3 hits, 2 misses. Not so bad for the first day, eh? The first miss was because I said "Lets go upstairs and you can go potty." and just saying it made her start peeing.
The second miss was during my terrible long wait at the doctor's office. I had her sit on the potty for a long time before going into his office, but she couldn't go. A while into the wait (maybe 30 min?) she took a drink from my water bottle and just started peeing. Luckily we were on tile flooring and I came prepared. I had everything cleaned up, her included, without anyone even knowing it had happened. But she stayed dry all night and our first hit was first thing this morning. She also peed before her nap, so no need to switch to diapers for nap time. And the other hit was all on her own. We got home and I was putting stuff away, when I saw her go trucking into the bathroom holding her bum and saying "oh no, oh no, oh no".
She made it in time and did it all on her own.

I'll be picking up my antibiotics this afternoon. Sinusitis that he thinks is being aggrivated by allergies. I feel awful. Not to mention I'm stressed and upset about a lot of stuff, which only adds to the pot. Moonshine, count me in on the pitty pot. All I want to do is curl up on the couch and
about poor, poor me.
: Please share what you get from the library and what you end up knitting. It is all I seem to find joy in these days.

Dr. Jen - I think what is happening with DS is all too common. I know a lot of adults who went through it - almost flunked out of college, took a year off, then went back to be straight A students. Maybe he just isn't ready... Maybe he needs some time off to play a bit between high school and college. I don't think it is anything you are doing wrong, aren't doing, etc. I think he just needs to find his way. I totally feel for your DD, and can relate to what she is going through. Having an acceptable teacher makes all of the difference. I think you are doing a great job at helping her go through this tough time. Try not to be so hard on yourself. We all think you are an amazing mother.

#33 ·
Hi ladies-NAK
No running for me today. I've got two kiddos with gunky noses and one with a high fever and the pukes.
Oh, what I wouldn't do for a hour escape run right now.
Jojo started to crawl over the weekend and it is causing huge sleep problems. As soon as she wakes up she just starts crawling all over the place and crying b/c nobody is playing with her. She did this four times last night. That coupled with M's puking gave me a grand total of about 3 hours sleep.
I'm so tired! Where is the freakin' fairy godmother when you need her???

I'll be back for personals later.

Aurora-you'll love it here!

#34 ·
All this talk of PL, and I have a confession to make... a week ago I got DD a little potty (she is only 17 mo
) About a month ago I had been putting her in the empty bathtub at nite before bed and saying psss psss, pee pee pee to see if she would go a little bit before bed to stay dryer at nite - and usually she would pee a little. Then she started knocking on the bathroom door saying pepepepep, or bringing me a dipe and patting her belly if she was about to poop, or laying a dipe on the floor and laying on top of it if she wanted a change...

So I got the little potty and mostly she just looks at it, plays with it, etc... and in the AM and before bed (or anytime she knocks on teh bathroom door and says pepepepepe) we sit her on it. She's peed in it about 3x and plenty more times on the floor. I'm pretty neutral about it - "oh, look you went pee pee" "that is what it feels like to go pee pee" etc... when I flush the big toilet she looks inside and waves bye bye as the water goes down

I think her awareness is there of needing to go or having gone; but not the ability to control it..... Sooooo, is this crazy? Do yall think it is okay to just let her become familiarized w/ the process w/ no pressure? Any harm? I don't have any expectations really, just wanted to make it available

#35 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
All this talk of PL, and I have a confession to make... a week ago I got DD a little potty (she is only 17 mo
) About a month ago I had been putting her in the empty bathtub at nite before bed and saying psss psss, pee pee pee to see if she would go a little bit before bed to stay dryer at nite - and usually she would pee a little. Then she started knocking on the bathroom door saying pepepepep, or bringing me a dipe and patting her belly if she was about to poop, or laying a dipe on the floor and laying on top of it if she wanted a change...

So I got the little potty and mostly she just looks at it, plays with it, etc... and in the AM and before bed (or anytime she knocks on teh bathroom door and says pepepepepe) we sit her on it. She's peed in it about 3x and plenty more times on the floor. I'm pretty neutral about it - "oh, look you went pee pee" "that is what it feels like to go pee pee" etc... when I flush the big toilet she looks inside and waves bye bye as the water goes down

I think her awareness is there of needing to go or having gone; but not the ability to control it..... Sooooo, is this crazy? Do yall think it is okay to just let her become familiarized w/ the process w/ no pressure? Any harm? I don't have any expectations really, just wanted to make it available
Run with it! My DD did the same thing around that age and I was like, "Oh she's too young to PL." Now, at 3, she's digging her heels in HARD against using the potty
. I wish I'd taken the opportunity back when she was less, well, difficult!

#39 ·
we're working on leah (18 months too). I've heard it said there's a window where they are receptive around 18 months and then again later. Leah seems much more aware than erin ever was. Erin STILL wakes wet every day, unless we keep her up till all hours.

I just got a wonderful review from the Dean. Yay!
Now I'm going to look at and hopefully purchase a used bathroom cabinet. We have a pedestal sink and a very narrow medicine cabinet and an 18 month old obsessed with toothbrushes (hers, ours, yours, you name it).

#42 ·
I was going to say also about potty learning - I don't think nighttime dryness always has a lot to do with daytime success. Night wetting runs in our family and my boys both have had a long haul with it - but they were reliably using the potty shortly after age 2.

I say go with any potty interest at any age - but I'm sort of an EC'er at heart, I think, so keep that in mind if you are taking any advice from me! All my kids used the potty a little from a very early age and just transitioned over into full time when they were ready.

Thanks so much for all the supportive words. Today I was talking with a grandma whose grandson has been in so much trouble - drugs, arrested multiple times, putting his young teen sister at incredible risk - and I am reminded that in the grand scheme of things my kids' issues are minimal. Plus, I went to preschool conference this am and heard nothing but praise for my littlest.

The thing with my ds is that he really wants to be at college. He loves it there, loves the independence, loves his friends, and was horrified at the thought of coming home for the next year. He can talk a good game and seems to understand that you must get decent grades to be able to get into grad school or get a job in your field, but he can't seem to make the connection to his behavior. It's really odd. We did tell him though that if his grade point dips below 2, he either has to come up with the funds himself to go back next year (not likely at a private school) or come home and go to community college. I don't like the idea of "threatening" him, but this wasn't said with any threat or malice, just realistically I explained that we can't see spending the money if he's not ready to take it seriously. He has a writing assignment due tomorrow in one of the classes he's getting a D in, and when I talked to him today at 1 pm, he hadn't started it yet, or done the reading yet.
: So we'll see. I know in the big picture one bad year is no big deal, but it's a life pattern with him, and I'm wondering when he's going to start caring about something, anything - you know?

Dd, I'm actually less worried about. I think she's just struggling with the normal pre-teen stuff, a lot of peer issues, and has a hard time taking this teacher seriously (as do I.) She was really shocked they booted her off the academic team and pretty upset about it. She was more upset that we password protected the computer and she can't chat with friends anymore. I had her come to my office after school instead of going home alone, and she has been diligently doing homework all afternoon. Just so frustrating to see your bright kids do poorly!

Eksmom - I know what you mean about how it would never have occurred to you to not do the homework. I was the same way. Also, I think you and I are similarly driven to do the right thing and to want folks to like us. That's how I was always the standout student and made it through med school. My kids are nothing like me! And here I am like "What do you mean you don't want to?"
: I totally get what you mean about expectations for our kids. I have to remind myself all the time that it's not my job to turn my kids into what I want them to be, just to help them be themselves.

RR - Seriously, any ideas on what to run this week before the half on Sat.?

#43 ·
Count me in with
too this week - and can you believe it, I lost my Diva cup. How on earth do you do that??? I appreciate it more than ever after this cycle.

doctorjen - I am another one who had some serious struggles after high school - then again, you might not want to hear from me - I am turning 40 this summer and I am just getting my academic act together now
: I had an awful lot working against me then - I think some time off would have done me good. I don't know that I will encourage my kids to go to post secndary education right after high school. I won't know until we get there, but I think there is a lot to be said for young people having a year to do some community service work and some growing up before making the personal and financial commitment of university or college. We have friends who made it clear to their children that they would give them some financial assistance for school after they did a year of volunteer or mission type work forst. The kids came back more mature and focussed and with a sense of the world that you just can't get in high school.

Spring cleaning is happening here this week - I moved all of the furniture downstairs the other day and scrubbed the floors. Today I emptied the kitchen cupbaords and scrubbed everything down. I'm not turning into Martha or anything - I discovered moths and was so grossed out that I had to clean and go through everything until I found the source - which was a package of sliced almonds that had been opened but never refrigerated. Yuck.

Aurora - welcome!

babybugmama - nice to see you around!

to everyone else!

#44 ·
Hmmm...no word from
? Hmmm...

I skipped the TM...and ran OUTSIDE instead! Woo-hoo! Totally challenged my fear of the highway and just did it. Took a little longer than I had planned for the TM...and I ended up doing 5.2 miles, but took 55 minutes. All in all, an excellent run for me.

#45 ·
Another college slacker here. 3.75 Freshman fall semester, 2.75 Freshman spring semester, the rest were abismal, came up for air during summer school of 2000, continued doing well, then became pg Fall of '01.

I'll finish one day. And it'll be more meaningful and with a truer sense of purpose. I was going initially for my folks. When I go back, I'll be going for myself.

I hesitate to join this thread. I totally suck right now but I have nowhere else to turn. I have been wanting to get back on the diet and exercise wagon for MONTHS!!! I was on week 6 of C25K sometime last fall when I overdid it one day doing some fast walking/incline on the treadmill and got major shin splints. I had to do complete rest for 2 weeks and when I went back to running my heart wasn't in it. I've restarted the program twice since then, and want to start again.

The excuses keep piling up, along with the weight and depression. I so want to get healthy but can't seem to muster the motivation. No one else is going to do it for me, I'm the only one who can make it happen. I KNOW THIS!! Yet, I'm stuck. So, I hope to gain some motivation from you all and when I do start, I look forward to sharing that triumph with you guys.

#46 ·
Bex - I've started and stopped running so many times the last few months. I started running a month after ds was born..and then stopped. And started. And stopped. Etc. Just keep trying. Make it really easy to get out. Like, 5 minutes easy. It helps me to say, all I have to do today is x minutes. And make it super easy and attainable. Can you find someone to run with?

How about this...would anyone be interested in picking an online running buddy? I know we kind of buddy up with each other here...but sometimes it moves so fast it's hard to keep up. What if we each had a single buddy that we were accountable to and could work to be each others cheerleaders? Thoughts?

#47 ·
Quote:

How about this...would anyone be interested in picking an online running buddy? I know we kind of buddy up with each other here...but sometimes it moves so fast it's hard to keep up. What if we each had a single buddy that we were accountable to and could work to be each others cheerleaders? Thoughts?
i am so in - specifically, i need someone to be accountable to in order to get my rear out of bed at 6am to run, please.
:

#48 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
Count me in with
too this week - and can you believe it, I lost my Diva cup. How on earth do you do that??? I appreciate it more than ever after this cycle.

Ummm-you didn't lose in while in use, did you???

Bex-Good for you! The ladies on this thread have been so incredibly inspiring and supportive. I honestly don't think I would be the runner I am now without them and because of them I have set goals I never would have dreamed about before. Love y'all!

Jo-Yippy for the outside run!

Monica-I can't believe you're still sick. Yuck.

College slacking-I didn't hit that phase until my sophomore year. My freshman year I was very competitive with the 5 guys that were in my honors program (we each had to choose a subject for concentration and we all choose biology). Actually, they were very competitive and didn't really pay me much attention. Imagine their surprise when I had the highest scores at the end of the year. I will never forget their faces when our teacher announced it!

I ended up getting a run in today! My SIL and I went for a nice 3.68, with a stop at CVS on the way home. I ran home carrying a bag with Gatorade, saltines and two new coloring books. It's no chicken, but it was a little awkward.
:

#49 ·
welcome newbies!
:

is here too, oh joy.

condi
- how did it go today?

kerc - congrats on the move. exhausting, aren't they? at least you get to be done with that
of a buyer

my toe is slowly coming around. i see some running in my future!

this weekend is the kentucky derby so we're headed to louisville. i'm lucky enough to have access to the track on that day. most locals don't get to go because tickets are very hard to come by and are reserved for all the out of town big rollers. it's a lot of fun, though, for a race all of two minutes long.

back later...

#50 ·
it's a little early for AF for me, but I seem to be PMS'ing or something. fight with dh, got all teary about something stupid...not sure what is going on. maybe I'm just getting in sync with the dingos? someone really should study us.

oh and shanti, I totally see how you could lose a diva cup. I have to hide mine because dd and ds are totally fascinated with it, grossening as that is.

yay HBM! I hope your sickies feel better soon, poor girls. "runs with puke supplies"
OH! lmk if you want us to pick up your csa thing! yikes!

bex, we are totally there for you. I have started and stopped too many times to count...it's just part of it. let us know what's going on and we will cheer you on no matter what.
but be careful...you might get addicted to dingoes and running. it's a good thing, really.

take care mamas.

#51 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bex80 View Post
I hesitate to join this thread. I totally suck right now but I have nowhere else to turn.
Bex, you can do it! This thread is a wonderful source of support. Please feel free to ask questions and share your struggles and triumphs! I have been off and on myself - I believe that is probably the way it will be for life, especially while I am the mother of young children. This time last year I had finished my first half marathon and logged 150 miles in the month of May. Right now I'm doing great if I get out 4 times a week for a total of about 15 miles a week, and that's after some long stretches of not running at all. You just have to keep plugging away. Remember that every step you take is a step for better health, both physical and mental, and every little bit counts.

Quote:

I like it! I'd be in!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
I ran home carrying a bag with Gatorade, saltines and two new coloring books. It's no chicken, but it was a little awkward.
:
I don't know how you do it, HBM. The one time I ran with a 1 lb. bag of baby carrots I thought that was awkward. You rock!

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
The thing with my ds is that he really wants to be at college. He loves it there, loves the independence, loves his friends, and was horrified at the thought of coming home for the next year.
Jen, I would have been absolutely horrified at the suggestion that I come home from school at this same point in my freshman year. I resisted the notion, didn't think I needed to, etc. etc. until literally about 2 weeks before I was supposed to go back in the fall. It suddently started to feel like it was closing in on me and that is what clued me in that I'd better not go or it would be the same deal or worse.

Quote:

I know in the big picture one bad year is no big deal, but it's a life pattern with him, and I'm wondering when he's going to start caring about something, anything - you know?
The only real experience I have with someone who doesn't have a lot of drive is my DH. I think that is definitely connected to his other issues, so I don't know that that's an appropriate road to go down with regards to your DS. For myself, I do recall a feeling in college that I was supposed to pick something to do, but I don't think I had the right criteria to use to decide. Somehow I had very little understanding of what the real world is like - i.e. what it's like when you have to pay your own bills, etc. I put all my focus on finding a major that would make me happy - and while I think that is important, I think it is not the only thing to consider. I also didn't really know at the time what would make me happy - I felt like lots of stuff was interesting, but how was I supposed to know if it would be something I would love for the rest of my life? I just had a really abstract view of the world and felt a lot of pressure to make the right decision, but really had no clue how to do so. As it turned out, I had planned to be an elementary school teacher, but needed a primary major. Lots of elem ed majors did psych for their major, so I took some classes. Loved the research aspect of it which was viewed kind of negatively by the education professors, so I ditched the elem ed part and threw myself headlong into psych. This was well after naming majors such as Spanish and computer science. I might as well have been throwing darts to pick a major in my first 2 years of college. Psychology and research really lit my fire and I no longer felt all the doubt that I felt when I was just "picking" something.
Don't know if any of that ramble makes sense...

Quote:

Also, I think you and I are similarly driven to do the right thing and to want folks to like us. That's how I was always the standout student and made it through med school. My kids are nothing like me! And here I am like "What do you mean you don't want to?"
:
Yep, exactly. It was a little tricky when my peers were giving me grief for being the smart kid - but I don't think I ever considered just totally ditching schoolwork. I think I figured I was too nerdy otherwise for it to work - then I'd still be nerdy but with low grades and in trouble with my parents!

RR: I think your plan for this week sounds good. Here's a pretty good article on tapering before a marathon... but it has lots of good advice no matter the distance. Let me know if you want any eating/carb-loading advice!

I have been meaning to say
to Aurora! Jump right in!

Poppy, glad your toe is healing. I always think of you at Derby time. Have fun!

Worked in the garden tonight. Remind me next year how much I hate hoeing up clumps of grass and weeds if I get any big schemes about expanding the garden. We doubled its size this year and I am still trying to get it ready to plant. I dug up a half of a brick tonight!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.