Mothering Forum banner

Where to buy cute, cheap maternity sundresses?

14K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  mamatomax 
#1 ·
I'm planning on living in sundresses this summer. Anyone know where to pick some up for cheap?
TIA!

#2 ·
Try Ebay & save your search so you get notified when new items come up. Also, Motherhood Maternity has decent prices I think. Their lighter (less expensive) material is perfect for sundresses. Good luck!

#3 ·
I haven't done much major shopping, but last week at Wal-Mart I tried on a dress that was tight on top around the chest and loose under that. I don't know if it was that particular style or not, but the dress didn't look good on me. (It was pleated and poofy. Even at 23 weeks I don't look big, I'm barely showing, but this thing made me look fat and poofy and just unflattering.) I started to really like that style when my husband and I watched the season finale of "The Ghost Whisperer". In most of the scenes Jennifer Love Hewitt was wearing dresses lik that and it might have been the dresses, but I wonder if they were concealing her pregnancy. Thes work, in theory, I would think, because they can be worn after the baby.

There's always thrift stores. I'm thinking about attackin one or two this evening or tomorrow evening when my husband doesn't need the car.

I hope this helps.

Laura

#4 ·
target is having a sale on there reg cotton spaghetti strap sundresses...they fit just like maternity dresses, and only $15...i bought 2!!
i've seen them for a couple weeks but didn't try them on because i thought i would have to worry about a bra...but my mom was in town and made me try it on....it fits great!!! and the bonus is i don't have to wear a bra with it!!! super comfy!!

#5 ·
Old Navy has a ton of sundresses right now. They look horrid on me (like Laura described above), but I'm short and tend to look frumpy in those styles. It might be worth a try for you!

Are there any thrift shops near you that you can check for gently-used maternity clothes?

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by adon View Post
target is having a sale on there reg cotton spaghetti strap sundresses...they fit just like maternity dresses, and only $15...i bought 2!!
i've seen them for a couple weeks but didn't try them on because i thought i would have to worry about a bra...but my mom was in town and made me try it on....it fits great!!! and the bonus is i don't have to wear a bra with it!!! super comfy!!

What size chest do you have?
I have a pretty large chest. I doubt that I could get away with not wearing a bra.

#7 ·
any empire waist dress would work for summer and you can usually find them pretty cheap in the junior section since they make them in larger sizes nowadays...i have a few i got at target there and another i got at target that's a pretty brown....the brown one does make me look a tad bigger than i am but that's bc it's gathered under the bust, thus it's a tad poufy but the others aren't....

#8 ·
This is slightly OT, but I just made two super cute ones -- an no, I am not a great seamstress.

My local fabric store (Joann's) sells fabric that has already been gathered with elastic at the top 10-12 inches. I just measured around the largest part of my chest to get the number of inches I needed, and the gathering made sure there was plenty of fabric to cover my third-trimester belly.

A quick seam down the back, a hem (which you could even iron in with that fusion tape or just fray up an inch or so for a different look), and wide ribbon straps to hide my bra straps = a super cheap, cool, cotton sun dress.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshine's mama View Post
any empire waist dress would work for summer and you can usually find them pretty cheap in the junior section since they make them in larger sizes nowadays...i have a few i got at target there and another i got at target that's a pretty brown....the brown one does make me look a tad bigger than i am but that's bc it's gathered under the bust, thus it's a tad poufy but the others aren't....
Creative! Would love to see pics!

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
OMG sunshine's mama I haven't fit into anything in the Junior section since I was 16. I couldn't even get something from there over my head. If you can I am so envious.

haha same here. I actually thought that Old Navy sold only in Juniors sizes. Can ya tell I dont get out much?

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
This is slightly OT, but I just made two super cute ones -- an no, I am not a great seamstress.

My local fabric store (Joann's) sells fabric that has already been gathered with elastic at the top 10-12 inches. I just measured around the largest part of my chest to get the number of inches I needed, and the gathering made sure there was plenty of fabric to cover my third-trimester belly.

A quick seam down the back, a hem (which you could even iron in with that fusion tape or just fray up an inch or so for a different look), and wide ribbon straps to hide my bra straps = a super cheap, cool, cotton sun dress.
Thats a great idea! I've been going nuts lacking comfortable summer clothes and they have those at Walmart too (evil I know but its the only store within almost a 2 hour drive w/ more than basic groceries) I'm going to have to get some of that this weekend
Did you put a ribbon under your chest too? Wondering if it would look better with or without?

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenlaana View Post
haha same here. I actually thought that Old Navy sold only in Juniors sizes. Can ya tell I dont get out much?

I have one oldnavy sundress that I can fit in because it is cotton knit. I fit usually in their extra large or 1x. Most items with preformed boob holders don't work for me.

#15 ·
Quote:

I thought about that a while back, but I hadn't thought of ribbon straps. That sounds so cute! And I love the idea of putting a ribbon under the bust, too. Great ideas! I think that I'll check Target and Old Navy, too. I want to get quite a few since those will be my summer wardrobe. Just have to find them long enough for all of the bending over that I have to do while tending to an almost 2 year old.

Thanks so much for all of the great ideas and suggestions! You've made my day

#16 ·
This summer, pretty much anywhere. Dresses in general have made a fashion come-back, and empire-waists are really popular. You probably don't even have to go to a maternity store. I just got two stretchy sundresses from Charlotte Russe for, like, $15 each. They have high waists and kind of elastic busts, so I think I'll be able to wear them all through the pregnancy. They make me look a little preggo even though I'm only three months and not showing yet, but they are very boobalicious.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuntG View Post
Not having to wear a bra!?!?!

What is THAT like?
:

Not fair!
so that's what i thought....i'm a 34DD and that's why i didn't try on these dresses at target originally. but thank goodness my mom made me!!
i hate wearing bras right now they hurt SO much....but there is NO way i could NOT wear one....but this dress works! i should have bought a bunch
: i wish i new what they called them....smock dresses?? they are long and have the elastic around the bust....the elastic is strong enough to hold it all in

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
Oldnavy.

OMG sunshine's mama I haven't fit into anything in the Junior section since I was 16. I couldn't even get something from there over my head. If you can I am so envious.

Hehe...Normally I can't but I have lost so much weight this pregnancy that I can fit in the largest size at Target in the juniors...The brown dress I have and love is from Massimo at Target and is a L/XL....it's super comfy....and was $20 before it went on sale..it came in black too and I am kickin myself for not getting it in black...BTW, the dresses are the only thing in Junior that fit me bc they aren't fitted..

Quote:

I made alot of dd's sundresses last year out of this material...and some tops for me...it's btwn .39 and .49 cents AN INCH.....at least when I bought it a few months ago...you take your bust measurement and add 2 inches to allow for seam and there ya go...they are comfy but they flow straight down from the bust is you are a C or bigger....I made a dress for myself and ended up cutting it to hip length to wear over shorts bc I didn't like the way it flowed down...
It's pre-smocked/gathered with elastic so it's nice and stretchy....

They are super easy to make though....a seam up the back and wide ribbon for bras....Grosgran works best bc it doesn't slip like satin ribbon....

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by newmamatobe View Post
This summer, pretty much anywhere.
It's been summer where I live (Orlando) for a couple of months now

It has just gotten miserably hot in the last 2 weeks. It won't even start to get cool until November. It's going to be a long, hot one for a preggo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.