Mothering Forum banner

THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread

254K views 2K replies 211 participants last post by  royal 
#1 ·
I've posted in a few threads about my recent diagnosis of Adrenal Fatigue & have had a few requests to start a specific thread, so here it goes!
Anyone else who is on this journey to heal their adrenals, please join in the discussion! I plan on updating after every appointment.

I go to Clymer Healing Center in Quakertown, PA. Dr. Neville (95% of his patients are adrenal patients), has phone-appts from all over the world every day. Last time I was there, he had one from Poland & one from Turkey. Here's their other site, on CFIDS/Fibro (see below.)

I did an ASI saliva test (Adrenal Stress Index.) That should be the first step - my doctor ordered mine through DiagnosTechs lab. After that, he came up with a healing plan. Everyone is different & the saliva test is essential in finding out what phase of adrenal exhaustion you're in. It cost me $99.

Here are my saliva test results:

Adrenal Stress Index (ASI) 3/07:

Free cortisol rhythym****** Reference Range

7:00-8:00am - 10 Depressed 13-24 nM
11:00-noon - 3 Depressed 5-10 nM
4:00-5:00pm - 2 Depressed 3-8 nM
11:00-midnight - 2 Normal 1-4 nM

Cortisol burden - 17 23-42

DHEA - 2 - Depressed 3-10 ng/ml

According to the "Cortisol-DHEA Correlation Zone, I am in zone 7 (Adrenal Fatigue), the lowest possible zone - 1 is the highest & is called "Adapted to Stress."

I also have Hypoglycemia, which is the first symptom of adrenal fatigue - I've had it for as long as I can remember.

Total Salivary SIgA Reference Range

5 - Depressed Normal: 25-60 mg/dl Borderline: 20-25 mg/dl

Just for comparison's sake, here are my blood test results (from 2/07) - the saliva test is SO much more accurate!

My progesterone is non-existant, <.5, less than a post menopausal woman.

My estradiol (estrogen) is 22, which is in range. (Not very accurate.)

My testosterone is in range, but towards the lower end. (Total - 12, free - 1.2)

My DHEA is very low, 35, the reference range is 40-325.

My cortisol is 13.5, which is in range. (HA! This is why you need to do a saliva test throughout the day!)

Vitamin D was 37, in range (I've heard that 40 is ideal & you don't want to go over 50.)

Thyroid: (doctor said this was good.)
T-4, free - 1.1
TSH - 1.86
T-3, free - 296

There is a book called Chronic Fatigue Unmasked 2000 that was written by Dr. Gerald Poesnecker. Dr. Poesnecker worked at Clymer for 40+ years researching adrenal fatigue & treating patients. His theory is that Chronic Fatigue & Fibromyalgia is a double sided coin, both caused by adrenal fatigue. My doctor, Dr. Neville, worked alongside Dr. Poesnecker & before Dr. Poesnecker passed away in 2004, he chose Dr. Neville to take over his work & patients. Oh, and a bonus, he's really into WAPF.

I don't have physical fatigue even though my test results would suggest so. I have the "dread horror anxiety" that is a symptom of adrenal fatigue. My body just doesn't have the cortisol to cope with any type of stress, physical or emotional. I need to try to cut back on nighttime nursing, that's the only issue that I can't control. I've had no caffeine for almost 4 months now, don't even crave it. I have had a few bites of chocolate (mostly on easter) but I've been really good about not having it.

My doctor asked if I was eating enough red meat, so I think that animal protein is very important when dealing with adrenal fatigue. I feel like I eat enough, I eat 2-3 eggs every morning for breakfast & some form of animal protein each night, beef, chicken or salmon usually.

The important supplements are a high quality B-complex, vitamin c (sodium ascorbate is good) & a magnesium supplement, also a good multi vitamin/mineral. The diet *must* be a whole foods diet, no crappy processed/packaged foods. Another big recommendation is salt & lots of it.

I salt everything heavily (sea salt.) My doctor wanted me to drink a glass of salt water first thing in the morning & I tried but I couldn't do it.
I limit potassium intake, no bananas, dates, figs, minimal fruit. Breakfast is VERY important, something with protein & lots of salt. No juices, minimal sweetener in teas - I use a dab of honey.

Dehydration is a biggie for AF patients. We have a problem with the sodium/potassium ratio (why we shouldn't eat potassium rich foods & need lots of salt.) I know when I first wake up in the morning, all I want to do is chug down 2 pints of water, but I have to wait until I get a good amount of salt in my system.
When I first wake in the morning, I cook eggs & salt them very heavily - after I eat them, then I can drink water, but plain water on an empty stomach is a no-no. We need *a lot* of salt. You'd be surprised how many people suffer unknowingly from some degree of adrenal fatigue - especially us sleep deprived mamas.
I'm also *almost* EBFing my 14 month old, my milk makes up about 95% of his diet, so that doesn't help with the dehydration issue.

Bottom line, our adrenals need salt, our bodies NEED salt!

Cutting out caffeine is MAJOR, as is eliminating stress, seriously eliminating it - whatever it is, negative people, high stress job, relationships, whatever, if you want to heal, you need to eliminate it. Rest is very important, we're supposed to be in bed by 10pm at the latest & sleep till 9am if possible (ha!) take any naps you can get. A sleeptime routine is also essential, going to bed & waking at the same exact times each night/morning. (I have yet to perfect this routine!)

My doctor says that the thyroid is always affected when one is suffering from adrenal fatigue - even if it doesn't show up in testing.

Low blood pressure is one of the symptoms of adrenal fatigue - it's even used as a diagnostic tool, I've always had low blood pressure, low body temp. too. I went for my appointment this week (5/07) & my blood pressure was 94/50 & that's a HUGE improvement! It actually rose 10 points after I stood up which is also HUGE since up until now, it hasn't budged when I rose from laying down to standing up - a classic sign of adrenal fatigue.

One of the diagnostic tools is to have the patient lay down, relax for 5 minutes, while laying down, take the patient's blood pressure. Then have the patient stand up & take the blood pressure reading again, if it fails to rise or drops upon standing, that's a sign that you're adrenals aren't working to their fullest capacity & it should be addressed.

A couple of fantastic books are Chronic Fatigue Unmasked 2000, by Dr. Poesnecker (the link is for the first edition, there's a newer one available now with the "2000" in the title) & Adrenal Fatigue, the 21st Century Stress Syndrome by J. Wilson. The first one, by Poesnecker, is much more in depth in terms of treatment & how the neuroendocrine system works, which explains *how* adrenal fatigue occurs. Here's Wilson's website.

Here is my treatment plan: ***before taking any supplements/medication to treat adrenal fatigue, an ASI saliva test is needed to determine the stage of adrenal dysfunction you are in, it's VERY important in deciding which supplements to use.***

I started out taking 1 tablet of Mil Adregen by '******' brand. It contains raw spleen concentrate, raw adrenal concentrate, raw thymus concentrate, citrus bioflavinoids, vitamin c, vitamin B6, vitamin B5 & zinc. I have slowly built up to 3 tablets a day, taken at meals.

I also started out taking 10mg of bioidentical pregnenolone by 'Pure' brand. I am currently taking 30 mg/day all in the morning. The necessary dose depends on how severe your adrenal fatigue. I'm still working up to a higher dose.
Pregnenolone is the first hormone that our bodies convert from cholesterol. It is at the top of the adrenal hormone cascade & is made into cortisol, DHEA & all of the sex hormones, estrogen, testosterone & progesterone. Pregnenolone usually has zero side effects where bioidentical DHEA supplementation can often have masculine side effects like rage & facial hair growth.

I take "Seriphos" by InterPlexus as needed, a proprietary blend 1000mg of phosphorylated, Serine/Ethanolamine which has a calming affect & helps take the edge off of the anciety.

Those are the supplements that my doctor gives me, aside from those listed above, I take these (with his approval.):

B-50 complex by Now brand
Magnesium citrate (powder) by Now brand
Selenium 200 mcg by Now brand
Zinc 50 mg by Solaray

HTH!

See less See more
#127 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whittliz View Post
OK Ladies-

So, tell me what you know about miscarriage (specifically blighted ovum) and adrenal fatigue......or copper and adrenal fatigue??

From hair analysis testing 4 weeks after m/c, I have adrenal exhaustion, low progesterone, copper toxicity, estrogen dominance, all my ratios are WAY off (like the sodium/potassium) & my thyroid is not functioning well.

I had all of this done through my chiro and I'm now on a copper toxicity program full of B vitamins, organ meats, zinc and Moly-Cu. I'm also on a Mediterranean-type diet. Which means, lot of sea salt, no refined sugar or fruit, no caffeine, and always combining complex carbs with good protein. Oh, also very little dairy (except that I'm not really checking for caisen (sp?). Maybe a slice of cheese or dollop of sour cream per day.

Do you think wheat is a bad thing for me? I'm eating about 2-3 serving of sprouted bread or crackers along with my meals.
Sounds like you're right on track Margie! I asked my doctor about copper excess after I read an article about it & he said that he just assumed that I had that imbalance. He didn't seem to think that it was a priority & said that my Mil-Adregen (raw bovine organ extracts) has a good amount of zinc in it.

Low progesterone is common in adrenal fatigue because your body converts all of your sex hormones into cortisol or DHEA. Couldn't low progesterone in and of itself be a cause for m/c? Sorry about that btw, I've suffered a loss before & it's really hard.

Is your dairy raw? Organ meats are GREAT for this (& generally, IMO.) If you notice that you're extra agitated or suffering from insomnia, it might be the B-complex, I was taking a B-50 complex & was horribly irritable with my Dc. My Mil-Adregen has B-vits as well, I seem to be able to tolerate that amount okay.

Gluten could be a problem *if* you have a sensitivity to it - I try to avoid it just because I think people eat too much wheat & it's not so great for us. I also soak my grains/nuts/seeds to reduce phytic acid & make sure that all of the nutrients are available to my body.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazucchini View Post
I think I've been suffering for about 4 years and have only recently heard of thyroid problems and adrenal fatigue.
I have six kids (15, 14, 9, 7, and twin 4yr olds). The last five years have been extremely stressful and hard for me. I've been pregnant or nursing (mostly two at a time) for 10 years now. I think I'm depleted in so many ways. And only in the last year and a half, I've really begun to look at what is so wrong with me. I kept telling myself that when the girls night weaned, I'd feel better. Then when they day weaned. Then when I was exercising regularly......... Well, for over a year I've been working out 3-4 times a week. I eat well, don't smoke or drink, sleep 7-9 hours a night. I've been vegan for about 14 years, was lacto-ovo for a few years prior to that.
I'm reading Eat to Live and am very interested in how it might help me to lose weight and feel better.
I had my thyroid checked a year and a half ago, but think it would be good to go have it done again and see if it's changed.
Glad to know I'm not alone in looking for answers.
peace, k
Kathy, the thyroid usually suffers during adrenal fatigue, it doesn't always show up in lab results but all of that is interconnected, thyroid, adrenal & sex hormones, if one is out of balance, the others will suffer.

Let me preface this by saying that my sister is vegan so I know to tread lightly... My doctor is a member of the Pottenger-Price Nutrition Foundation (Weston A. Price) & that's the basis of my diet as well. The most common & effective natural treatment for adrenal fatigue is to use raw bovine organ extracts.

I don't know if you eat soy, but it's a known thyroid antagonist. Fermented soy seems to be okay in moderation. I've seen soooo many people in the TF forum who have said that they were vegan or vegetarian for years & they feel that that is what caused their thyroid disease, since switching to a traditional foods diet, they feel much better.

I'm not here to argue about which diet is "right" or "best" I'm just responding with what I've learned.

Hugs to you, I can really relate to your last 10 years. Raising babies takes a real toll on our bodies.

#128 ·
So I was reading a bit. I still don't know much. But what stuck out is that most of what I read talked about female sex hormones being down. Considering my progesterone should have been dropping at day 20 and I took the test on day 22, my progesterone was sky high at over 500. My estradiol was in normal range, but on the high side as well (same w/ testosterone.) Does anyone here know more about this? I've done some internet searches and haven't come up with anything other than pregnancy levels, and LOW progesterone causing the types of PMS symptoms I've been having. Grrr! I'm not sure what to make of it. I can't go to the doctor b/c we have $300 in our bank account right now, and it costs more than that just for the initial visit at any doctor, naturopath or not, if you don't have insurance.
Plus, even if it did cost less, we still have half a month to go w/ that $300.

#129 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post

I ask because the canary club said that they did not do the Anti-TPO or TgAb for thyroid as you stated that I need.

Also, I didn't know if the Secretary IgA and AntiGliadin Antibodies were important in diagnosing adrenal fatigue. Because canary club does not offer those either. And direct labs offers all of these.

Well, now I'm confused. I've been thinking that they were the same thing. I'm sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metasequoia
Kim (NocturnalDaze), I believe saliva testing to be much more accurate than blood for testing sex hormones. Just curious where you've read otherwise....
They had a discussion about it the other day on STTM. Do you have any info that says it is better? If you do I would love to have it because I just had my friend do the Canary Club test and she really couldn't afford it all. So, I feel kind of bad that I told her to take it now. All of her results point to a pituitary problem too and I'll feel awful if the test's are wrong and she's freaking out for nothing.
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whittliz
So, tell me what you know about miscarriage (specifically blighted ovum) and adrenal fatigue......or copper and adrenal fatigue??
I can tell you that I now believe that adrenal fatigue does cause miscarriages.

The book I have "Safe Uses of Cortisol" by Dr William Jeffries says that he had many patients with adrenal fatigue that had recurring miscarriages that were able to carry to term when they took hydrocortisone during their pregnancies.

I had 2 miscarriages last year. One at 12 weeks then another at 8 weeks. I have no idea they were blighted ovums or not though. I never had ultrasounds done. The whole time I was pregnant both times I was so unbelievably exhausted. I could really barely even function.

I'm now almost 15 weeks pregnant and I've been taking the hydrocortisone throughout this pregnancy. I feel SO much better this time around!! Cortisol is actually suppose to increase in the second trimester and I didn't increase my hydrocortisone like I should have and I could feel it this past week. I upped my dose and I'm back to normal again.

#131 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lazucchini View Post
I think I've been suffering for about 4 years and have only recently heard of thyroid problems and adrenal fatigue.
I have six kids (15, 14, 9, 7, and twin 4yr olds). The last five years have been extremely stressful and hard for me. I've been pregnant or nursing (mostly two at a time) for 10 years now. I think I'm depleted in so many ways. And only in the last year and a half, I've really begun to look at what is so wrong with me. I kept telling myself that when the girls night weaned, I'd feel better. Then when they day weaned. Then when I was exercising regularly......... Well, for over a year I've been working out 3-4 times a week. I eat well, don't smoke or drink, sleep 7-9 hours a night. I've been vegan for about 14 years, was lacto-ovo for a few years prior to that.
I'm reading Eat to Live and am very interested in how it might help me to lose weight and feel better.
I had my thyroid checked a year and a half ago, but think it would be good to go have it done again and see if it's changed.
Glad to know I'm not alone in looking for answers.
peace, k
I know Eat to Live is a vegan diet book, so it would probably fit right in with the way you have been eating. I would wonder, however, if you've already been a vegan, how much more it would help? I know there are tons of studies to support his point of view, but I would just wonder how you could replenish your body with so little fat and protein? Nursing moms use up a lot of fatty acids and minerals like calcium -- are those present in his diet? Have you read Eat Fat Lose Fat, the diet book that says pretty much the opposite of his book? Not that I'm an expert - I'm someone who was a vegetarian for many years, then went back to pretty much the Standard American Diet, and now I'm doing a special diet for low blood sugar and low blood pressure that includes meat but no dairy (because I'm dairy sensitive) and it really has seemed to help. I think organ meats in particular are helpful with adrenal fatigue, although I have a really hard time eating them. I didn't mean to try to turn this into an anti-vegan or anti-vegetarian thread -- there are those who thrive on those diets, and those who feel that their bodies' nourishment is less important than their ethical beliefs -- just that there are other diets out there that can help. I used to think vegetarian was the only "healthy" alternative to fast food, etc. because it was all I was exposed to.

#132 ·
Thanks for everyone for the info.........& now to the hard questions. I've been on the "detox" supplements & changed diet for about 2 weeks. I skipped TTC this cycle at the request of my chiro...which by the way, was my 1st cycle post m/c.

Do you think it's a bad idea to TTC this next cycle while I'm in the healing process? My chiro has been kinda "It's up to you." I'm torn....I want to be completely healthy, but I also think that a month of rigorous changes is a huge improvement. I'm still thinking that my tests had to have been influenced negatively by the fact that I had a m/c 4 weeks before and I was physically/emotionally drained at the time of the test.

Any thoughts? Am I being irresponsible if I TTC?

#133 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whittliz View Post
Thanks for everyone for the info.........& now to the hard questions. I've been on the "detox" supplements & changed diet for about 2 weeks. I skipped TTC this cycle at the request of my chiro...which by the way, was my 1st cycle post m/c.

Do you think it's a bad idea to TTC this next cycle while I'm in the healing process? My chiro has been kinda "It's up to you." I'm torn....I want to be completely healthy, but I also think that a month of rigorous changes is a huge improvement. I'm still thinking that my tests had to have been influenced negatively by the fact that I had a m/c 4 weeks before and I was physically/emotionally drained at the time of the test.

Any thoughts? Am I being irresponsible if I TTC?
Margie,
I know that you just want to be pregnant again, but your body needs to heal. Pregnancy is hard on our bodies & even harder is staying up nursing a newborn all night long.
I have brought up my frustration to my doctor about not showing any improvement & he said, "It's only been 4-5 months." Apparently it can take 1-2 years to heal from adrenal fatigue.

I think you risk dealing with more severe adrenal fatigue after birth if you get pregnant now, JMHO. That said, I know it's tough to delay something that you want so dearly.

#134 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Margie,
I know that you just want to be pregnant again, but your body needs to heal. Pregnancy is hard on our bodies & even harder is staying up nursing a newborn all night long.
I have brought up my frustration to my doctor about not showing any improvement & he said, "It's only been 4-5 months." Apparently it can take 1-2 years to heal from adrenal fatigue.

I think you risk dealing with more severe adrenal fatigue after birth if you get pregnant now, JMHO. That said, I know it's tough to delay something that you want so dearly.
Thanks.....I think all of these things are quite rational, but it seems to odd to avoid pregnancy right now.
My current gut feeling is to pray for perfect timing & just trust that God is in charge....continue with regular, normal sex and see what happens. I keep telling myself, I can only get better with all the changes I've made. I mean, 5 servings of veggies a day compared to zero servings (and McDonald's regularly
) has to be a major improvement.

Thanks for letting me "talk it out."

#135 ·
I know it's hard.

If you do get pregnant and your adrenals are not healed or being addressed then in the last trimester you actually take cortisol from the baby to use for yourself. That depletes the baby of the cortisol that it needs and can actually cause AF in your baby.

I really think that my first miscarriage stressed my body out a lot and trashed my adrenals. That is why I think I only made it 8 weeks the second time.

There are people who have Addison's disease (their bodies make very little cortisol) that get pregnant all of the time if you look at some of those message boards.

It is possible but you might have to go a less than natural route to do it because, like Metasequoia said, it does take 1-2 years for the adrenals to heal...and that is if you are doing everything right.
:

#136 ·
I hope this hasn't been asked yet, but does anyone know if Zoloft helps with AF or if it's just for depression. A doctor told me that I have general anxiety disorder and prescribed Zoloft. I haven't taken it yet b/c I'd like to find a natural remedy.

However, I've been under sooo much stress since my son was born (and esp in the last couple of months) b/c he has health issues. I've been in an almost constant state of fight-flight and know that my adrenals are shot. I plan to have the testing done, but until then I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and take the Zoloft.

#138 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NocturnalDaze View Post
If you have AF and/or thyroid problems then Zoloft is just going to be a Band-Aid. It's not treating th real problem....
:

But that doesn't mean that I'm not tempted every other day! So far I've been trying to beat this anxiety naturally (for 7 years) & now that I know that my adrenal health is really the root of my mental health, I plan on trying to treat them (naturally.) Ikwym though, about curbing the anxiety in hopes of getting out of the fight or flight mode - it's actually something that I've been meaning to ask my ND. I have an appointment on Tuesday, I'll definitely ask & I'll post back with his input.

I have read about ADs & anti anxiety meds compromising our immune systems though - I'll post the article if I can find it. If that's the case, they're doing more harm than just being a bandage approach.

#139 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
2bluefish--Just this week, suspecting that my amalgam fillings have been an underlying, contributing factor to my health problems, I am trying a gluten-free, casein-free diet. I didn't expect to feel any different (I tried it because my health care provider said it would be good for me and I figured I'd give it a shot) and whoa! I started to feel significantly better in just a couple days. I mean, I can still tell I'm not normal healthy, but it was a real difference. Isn't this amazing? I was just wondering if anyone else in the thread had seen improvement with dietary changes like this, and I log on and read your post.
: It made me feel less like a nutcase (I've been having pangs lately, I think they'll subside pretty soon). So thanks for posting.
I'm just starting to read this thread so I apologize if this has already been talked about but I wanted to respond to this:

I changed my diet on my own (no NP dr or anything) so I have no idea what I'm allergic to...if anything. I cut out all dairy, grains, beans, soy and all sugar (basically I only ate all animal protein, nuts, seeds, oil and of course, fruits (very little) & veggies) for a year in an attempt to heal my gut. I had ongoing yeast issues which sparked my decision. I've never felt so good. I was so clear headed. Lots of energy. No stomach upset (bloating, gas, etc). I felt wonderful!

I've slowly been eating the things I eliminated over the last few months. My stomach has felt great so far. I thought I was "healed". Well, duh on me...since reading this thread I realize I have several of the AF symptoms that I didn't have when I was on my grain-free diet.

I guess it's time for me to go back to that diet to see if my symptoms disappear...

#140 ·
Quote:

:

But that doesn't mean that I'm not tempted every other day! So far I've been trying to beat this anxiety naturally (for 7 years) & now that I know that my adrenal health is really the root of my mental health, I plan on trying to treat them (naturally.) Ikwym though, about curbing the anxiety in hopes of getting out of the fight or flight mode - it's actually something that I've been meaning to ask my ND. I have an appointment on Tuesday, I'll definitely ask & I'll post back with his input.

I have read about ADs & anti anxiety meds compromising our immune systems though - I'll post the article if I can find it. If that's the case, they're doing more harm than just being a bandage approach.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd love to hear what your ND has to say. I'm sooo tempted to start taking them for this stress. My ND gave me some digestive enzymes and Bach flower remedies. I just don't think those things are going to cut it.
I'll read thru this thread more carefully and see if I can't come up with some other ideas.

#143 ·
Quote:

Hey you're DHEA looks good though - that's great news! I'm not so sure about cortisol being the best bet - my doctor hasn't suggested it & I'm in zone 7 (aka as bad as it gets.) I think the bovine organ extracts are a more natural approach, I've also heard that it's really tough to wean off of the cortisol - just some food for thought....

Congrats on feeling validated!
It's nice to be able to blame our symptoms on something, isn't it?
I'm not sure it's the best bet either,
, but I'm willing to consider it if my ND thinks it's worth exploring. I think the rationale is that it is easier for the adrenals to heal if they have no demands on them. So basically, cortisol supplementation, and I would definitely request bio-identical, suppresses the natural adrenal production but in this case it is a good thing because the "rest" gives the adrenals a chance to heal. I don't know, it's all makes me
:. I had to resort to drawing a schematic of the thyroid hormones just to keep that straight in my head.

And I think it was Kim who mentioned testing for Addison's, sorry can't get the multiple quote thing going from a few pages back. I don't know what the DHEA means in that equation either. My understanding is testing for Addison's is a ACTH test or challenge (pretty sure that's right?). Low cortisol and high ACTH is Addison's (primary, i.e. adrenal-based, hypocortisolism); low cortisol and low ACTH is secondary hypocortisolism, i.e. pituitary malfunction). So I don't have an answer either as to whether or not that's a possibility for me. I do have a grandmother with Addison's. And as a bonus my mother was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid. Hormone issues everywhere, I guess.

For everyone else: I wish I had more answers for all of your questions but I only come up with more of my own questions! We're working toward health, though, that counts for something.

#144 ·
Well I have ordered my blood/saliva combo kit from the canary club.

It's going to take forever to get here though, and we're going on vacation next weekend. Bah! I hope it gets here before then.

Anyway, I will post the results when I have them. There had better be something wrong as I'm tired being told it's all in my head and there's nothing wrong with me!
:

#145 ·
Quote:

It's going to take forever to get here though, and we're going on vacation next weekend. Bah! I hope it gets here before then.

Anyway, I will post the results when I have them. There had better be something wrong as I'm tired being told it's all in my head and there's nothing wrong with me!
:
I understand that so well! I told my naturopath and one of my friends that I would cry if my tests came back all normal. If you plan on doing thyroid testing as well, remember that just being in the lab range for normal does not necessarily mean that your thyroid is healthy. The Stop the Thyroid Madness website has some good information on that.

Dana

#146 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nurturedbirth View Post
I'm not sure it's the best bet either,
, but I'm willing to consider it if my ND thinks it's worth exploring. I think the rationale is that it is easier for the adrenals to heal if they have no demands on them. So basically, cortisol supplementation, and I would definitely request bio-identical, suppresses the natural adrenal production but in this case it is a good thing because the "rest" gives the adrenals a chance to heal. I don't know, it's all makes me
:. I had to resort to drawing a schematic of the thyroid hormones just to keep that straight in my head.

I was terrified of taking the cortisol too. My practitioner (she's a holistic Nurse practitioner who consentrates mostly on hormones) suggested I take Isocort. From the reading I did it seemed that didn't work for a lot of people and since it actually has cortisol in it anyway I decided to go with the more pure form.

She told me it would take 2 years to heal my adrenals and the way I felt (I spent much of the time most days on the couch and I couldn't fall asleep until 4 o'clock most mornings) I decided that was the route I needed to go. I'm just not a good enough mommy without it.

I also wanted another baby and as it is my daughter will be 6 when this one is born so I didn't really feel that I had time to wait.

I'm resigned to taking it for the rest of my life anyway. I already have to do that with the Armour Thyroid I take so it doesn't really bother me.

I totally think you need to heal yourself naturally as well. Eat right, relax and all of those good things too. The thing that ticks me off is that I have access to all of the good stuff...raw milk, organic veggie farmstand, grass fed beef but I can not afford it right now

I am definately glad that I went this route though. I have my life back again!! I don't spend all day everyday yawning and wishing I was in bed!!

It is definately a personal choice though.
:

#147 ·
Quote:

:
OK, I got an answer from a moderator at STTM for you....

The Canary Club test only tests the TgAb. However, she recommends blood testing for antibodies because saliva is not always accurate for that. I would probably take the Canary Club test for your adrenals anyway though. If it does turn out that you have thyroid problems you do need to know where your adrenals stand if you decide that you are going to take medication to fix the thyroid.

If you just take thyroid meds without having your adrenal addressed then you stand the chance of going hyperthyroid before your meds are optimized. This applies especially to Armour.

It usually takes about 4 business days for them to send the kit.

#148 ·
Okay so the test I am taking is saliva and blood spot. It contains all the sex hormones, complete thyroid and adrenals.

What other test should I be getting other than those? Is it the anti-TPO?

Thanks so much for your help!
:

#149 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NocturnalDaze View Post
If you have AF and/or thyroid problems then Zoloft is just going to be a Band-Aid. It's not treating th real problem....
I understand this, but how do I get out of this horrible state I'm in right now? I'm so worried about my son, and have been for 3 years, and my body is at its limit. I feel light-headed, nauseous, and have loose bowels--classic fight or flight and I can't get out of it. My ND prescribed Bach flower remedies, but it isn't doing anything. Is there something besides an SSRI that can help lift me out of this acute state so I can work on healing my adrenals naturally?

#150 ·
Ugh, I'm having a bad day today.

I am SO tired but I can't go to sleep at night because of my anxiety. I feel shaky and depressed, my vision is all screwed up and I'm yelling and everyone and crying at the same time. My dh and dc went to church without me this morning because I couldn't pull myself together.

Ugh, I can't wait to get diagnosed and start looking at treatments. This is insane.

#151 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex Libris View Post
I understand this, but how do I get out of this horrible state I'm in right now? I'm so worried about my son, and have been for 3 years, and my body is at its limit. I feel light-headed, nauseous, and have loose bowels--classic fight or flight and I can't get out of it. My ND prescribed Bach flower remedies, but it isn't doing anything. Is there something besides an SSRI that can help lift me out of this acute state so I can work on healing my adrenals naturally?
Many anti-depressants take several weeks before you start feeling the effects consistently. I found this on Zoloft specifically: "Although some symptoms may improve within a matter of days, it is important to allow four to six or even eight weeks for the medication to be fully effective. If no improvement is seen in two to four weeks, another medication can be tried."

By 6 to 8 weeks you could have gotten your adrenal testing and begun treating the underlying problem. I am only guessing that it would be difficult to tell if you were receiving adequate adrenal treatment while on SSRI's because how can you tell if the adrenal issue is improving while the symptoms are masked? During the worst of my issues I was in the same place you find yourself now, in a constant state of being 'keyed up', combined with insomnia and depression/suicidal thoughts. If I'd been given the option of an SSRI I can't say I wouldn't have gone for it just to lessen the symptoms and give me a break long enough to have a sane thought about a long-term approach. So my personal position is neither pro or con on the Zoloft, but I wonder if you couldn't get positive results from adrenal support in the same time frame?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.