Mothering Forum banner

Washington Post article is up

6K views 83 replies 27 participants last post by  josephine_e 
#1 ·
#77 ·
Honestly the whole article mad me really mad. I wanted to comment but didn't even know where to start. Personally I feel Dr.s should be accused of hubris and I have accused them repeatedly as I am firing them. For some reason 4 yrs of medical school ect makes them demigods. Guess what, being male, they don't give birth nor will they ever so they will NEVER truly know the intuition of birth and, to me, that is far superior to their monitoring.

#78 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post

There is a fundamental flaw in Ms Rothman's underlying assumption - I do not go outside the system because it is broken. I go outside the system BECAUSE I DO NOT NEED IT - IT IS USELESS TO ME!

Ah, better now...

or more correctly, you were never IN the system to begin with! their system is not the default, and we don't 'go' outside of it so much as we 'stay' outside of it!

#80 ·
She has a discussion forum over there, too, and the people who post there LOVE her even though she never talks to them...and they all have very interventionist births, all kinds of ultrasounds, etc. :/

#82 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post
[edited because I don't want to violate the UA]

Treading carefully...
... Well, that's interesting. Her "book" is a laugh. Here's a good example: http://www.askdramy.com/Chap17-2.html Classic. Although even with modern books about medicalized childbirth, it's rare to find the process depicted that simplistically. Yeah, she's all about education, right.

That was one of the creepiest things I have ever read...and the pictures at the bottom of the page. OMG. Seriously creepy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.