Mothering Forum banner

How many Homebirths/ UC?

3K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  flowers 
#1 ·
I am woundering how many of us had hombirths and how many of those were UCs? I had a uc, because the law in SD say that no one but family members can attend a homebirth and currently there are no lay midwives working in the state.

#12 ·
Gina, so glad that you got to have a homebirth (and a UC no less!).

We ended up having a UC. Midwife missed the birth but it was exactly what we wanted and didn't plan. It's like fate worked it all out for us. It was an amazing experience. I'll have to post my birth story.

#14 ·
Homebirth with MW and MW Assistant (they were wonderful)

Six of my closest friends attended the birth, along with DH, my mom, and MIL. It was amazing.

#15 ·
UC (in the hospital no less....)...My MW and doula were present (wouldn't have made it to the hospital if it hadn't been for my doula) at the hospital (really wanted a homebirth but was scared of having another dystocia even though my brain knew why it happened in the first place, my heart didn't care)......I think my heart planned the UC but my brain slowed it down....

We almost had a UC in the car on the way!!!

I know, I know, I REALLY need to get my story written up and posted......it's in my brain, just can't figure out how to get it into nice words like that others I have read....

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshine's mama View Post
UC (in the hospital no less....)...My MW and doula were present (wouldn't have made it to the hospital if it hadn't been for my doula) at the hospital (really wanted a homebirth but was scared of having another dystocia even though my brain knew why it happened in the first place, my heart didn't care)......I think my heart planned the UC but my brain slowed it down....

We almost had a UC in the car on the way!!!

I know, I know, I REALLY need to get my story written up and posted......it's in my brain, just can't figure out how to get it into nice words like that others I have read....
how was it uc w/a mw and doula present in a hospital?

#17 ·
doesn't UC mean unassisted, as in nobody present like a mw or doctor that can help in an emergency? I'm not sure a hospital birth qualifies as unassisted.
Sunshine, maybe you mean unintervened, since your dh caught the baby and the mw just stood by?

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparklish View Post
Home birth with midwives and doula!

I am lucky enough to live somewhere (British Columbia) where home birth with midwives is covered as part of our public health care, should that be a woman's choice.
I could not agree more!!!!!!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
doesn't UC mean unassisted, as in nobody present like a mw or doctor that can help in an emergency? I'm not sure a hospital birth qualifies as unassisted.
Sunshine, maybe you mean unintervened, since your dh caught the baby and the mw just stood by?
I really need to get my story up....

MW was there just as Dp was catching baby.....does UC mean he isn't there either???

Doula was there bc she was at the house with us and someone had to drive to the hospital (wouldn't have gone if I wasn't scared of another
dystocia...even tough my head knew better).....

I believe a hospital birth can count as one if certain ppl aren't present....there were no nurses in the room....One admitted me but then didn't come back at my request....helps that I knew her though and she knew the kind of birth I wanted....

However, I spose there are those that believe that NO hospital birth is natural bc it doesn't occur at home or in a birth center...

Nobdy assisted us in the delivery or management of my labor...except my doula bc she drove us to the hospital. If I had known I was in transition I would've stayed home in the big ol tub we have....but I didn't. I was induced with the first so I only knew what Pitocin contractions felt like...my body just didn't start with the easy labor.....

The only ppl in the hospital room were the ones that mattered...the friends that mattered....those friends being my mw and my doula....who talked and played with dd while dp and I had the baby.....

I'm not sure I even want to post my story now.....I don't want it critiqued and picked apart about how it isn't really UC in the pure sense of the word....

It went exactly like it would've had gone at home had we stayed.....sans the MW bc she doesn't do homebirths (although I am almost positive if I had called her afterwards she would've dropped by...)

:
:

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshine's mama View Post
I really need to get my story up....

MW was there just as Dp was catching baby.....does UC mean he isn't there either???

Doula was there bc she was at the house with us and someone had to drive to the hospital (wouldn't have gone if I wasn't scared of another
dystocia...even tough my head knew better).....

I believe a hospital birth can count as one if certain ppl aren't present....there were no nurses in the room....One admitted me but then didn't come back at my request....helps that I knew her though and she knew the kind of birth I wanted....

However, I spose there are those that believe that NO hospital birth is natural bc it doesn't occur at home or in a birth center...

Nobdy assisted us in the delivery or management of my labor...except my doula bc she drove us to the hospital. If I had known I was in transition I would've stayed home in the big ol tub we have....but I didn't. I was induced with the first so I only knew what Pitocin contractions felt like...my body just didn't start with the easy labor.....

The only ppl in the hospital room were the ones that mattered...the friends that mattered....those friends being my mw and my doula....who talked and played with dd while dp and I had the baby.....

I'm not sure I even want to post my story now.....I don't want it critiqued and picked apart about how it isn't really UC in the pure sense of the word....

It went exactly like it would've had gone at home had we stayed.....sans the MW bc she doesn't do homebirths (although I am almost positive if I had called her afterwards she would've dropped by...)

:
:
I believe you had a natural birth, just not a UC in the true sense of the term... while dh caught the baby, mw was still there for it... and that's still awesome! Not trying to take away from your experience in any way!! You should type your birth story for you, don't worry what others think, y'know?
I wouldn't critique or criticize and don't think anyone else would, either.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by beemama View Post
I believe you had a natural birth, just not a UC in the true sense of the term... while dh caught the baby, mw was still there for it... and that's still awesome! Not trying to take away from your experience in any way!! You should type your birth story for you, don't worry what others think, y'know?
I wouldn't critique or criticize and don't think anyone else would, either.
:

#23 ·

i personally think if the dr and nurses or a midwife were not there and were not delivering your baby then you had a UC. who cares if you were in the hospital? if someone lives next door to a hospital is their UC not good enough because they would have help so close in case of emergency? Whatever. Don't let anyone make you feel bad.

#25 ·
Hey, my intention was definitely not to make anyone feel bad.

I don't want to split hairs or anything...BUT, I can see where if she had her babe in an elevator or something... that would be a UC, but being in her hospital room w/her MW present doesn't seem like a UC, medical backup was right there.
I'm no expert, tho! And I guess it's all really just a matter of semantics.

And that is just awesome that public health covers homebirth in some places!

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by beemama View Post
Hey, my intention was definitely not to make anyone feel bad.

I don't want to split hairs or anything...BUT, I can see where if she had her babe in an elevator or something... that would be a UC, but being in her hospital room w/her MW present doesn't seem like a UC, medical backup was right there.
I'm no expert, tho! And I guess it's all really just a matter of semantics.

And that is just awesome that public health covers homebirth in some places!

My friend was the nurse who admitted me...she saw us coming and just went ahead with the paperwork and showed me to the birthing room....and left us alone....she did inform my MW that I was there and baby was pretty much there.........

MW arrived just in time to see daddy catch baby....

Doula read stories to dd but dd climbed on bed just as daddy was handing baby to me...

MW was thrilled to just enjoy the birth.......

Being in the hospital didn't make a difference...she almost came in the elevator and for what it's worth, almost before we got to the hospital......in the car at the stoplight to turn into the hospital....

IF I had had the UC at home, my neighbor is an EMT....that's medical backup right next door...just knock on the living room wall....we even had a code....
so many hard knocks on the wall meant COME NOW....sure, it's a different kind of medical, but medical all the same.......and she's delivered alot of babies....her own included. My other neighbor is a medical assistant....handy neighborhood I live in....so it it not unassisted bc they would've been right next door....

Not a single medical hand touched me until HOURS after the baby was born...I wasn't hooked up to anything medical and dd didn't have anything medical done to her.........

Unassisted to me means nobody helps, intervenes...it's you and your hubby (and with me my doula bc someone needed to drive) and I don't know....Im not gonna go on and on....it's just gonna make me more upset....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.