Mothering Forum banner

MAY 2007 It is October already

20K views 679 replies 47 participants last post by  BrooklynDoula 
#1 ·
I started a new thread for the first of the month can you believe it. Our babies are going to be 5 months old wow time has flied.

#355 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
He was called in for a "meeting" at 4:45 and let go. His boss (of three years) told him things just weren't "working out." He works in communications/PR, and has never been able to get a good "read" on his boss, no feedback, no direction, etc.

He isn't really upset about leaving the job, but is of course upset that he doesn't have a job to go to tomorrow, kwim? They did give him $5,000 severance pay and we can keep our health insurance until the end of the year. He filed for unemployment tonight while he looks for something else.

In some ways, this is a gift. He has not been happy in the job (or in his field) for a long time. He has been trying to figure out his "thing" that makes him want to jump out of bed everyday, but hasn't found it yet. Now, he finally has time to reflect on it. New job? New field? Back to school?

We're trying to stay positive, but it's challenging given that we depend almost solely on his salary to pay our bills. And scary since we have the babe now. I feel like if it was just the two of us, we'd pick up and move to Paris or someplace, but not so practical with the little one.

Anyway, please send some positive vibes our way if you've got any to spare. We could really use them right now. Thanks for letting me vent, mamas!
HUGS HUGS HUGS. Some of the besst positive things come out of the negative. What would you do in Paris if you moved there?

#356 ·
I wanted to do a quick HI. I am not sure if I told you all but I back to work unexpectedly. I got offered a job Monday night and I could not pass it up. I am working from home, so I am trying to juggle a baby, homeschooling and working right now. I will let you all know if I survive.

My darling daughter has started doing the very violent projectile vomiting again. It is very scary when she does it. Probably 1/2 gallon comes out at a time. I have no idea why. I need to weigh her luckily we have some excess padding so that helps. I thought we had finally outgrown it. SIGH.

The nursing necklaces look cool. Where could I buy one. I am not talented enough to make it.

#357 ·
Alana-
Hopefully something good will come out of this, and that is nice they gave him severance pay at least so you don't have to stress too much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by meesa143 View Post
I found a website on how to make your own
Awesome link! I want to make one now!

#358 ·
Maggie has been up for 2 hours, 4 changes of clothes, 8 bibs, numerous spit rags, and one change of clothes for me. Why is she doing this? Is she sick or is the medication no longer working. Its at the correct dose? Why does my child not have an instruction manual or lights on her forehead like red means she is getting sick or something like that so I know what is going on.

#359 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meesa143 View Post

I found a website on how to make your own
great link! i bookmarked it & hope to make one soon. hey! maybe this is something we can do as part of our DDC....a bead swap to make nursing necklaces. hmmmmmm

alana, prayers for your family. i've never been in your situation but it must be scarey. let's hope he finds that job that makes him want to jump out of bed in the morning! (is there such a thing?)

heidi, so sorry maggie is vomiting again. that is stressful. dd1 had something similar but i never looked into it, medically. she projectile vomited for months, only slept 20 minutes at a time & woke up all night long to nurse. silly me thought that was just what babies did!? i mentioned it to her doc a few times but since she was gaining weight & growing strong we didn't do anything. anyway, let's hope maggie grows out of this!

i think ezra is getting into his nap groove!! woo hoo! he's taken a 2 hr morning nap twice in one week!!! his afternoon nap is still about 45 minutes & he's trying to skip his evening one but i prefer if he gets a little 20-30 minute snooze around dinner time. i've been getting sooooo much done in the morning when he naps for a couple hrs. i almost feel like my old self again....

itching for a bead swap, mamas. who's gonna take charge? i would but i'm so computer illiterate. if someone wants to explain to me how to set up a yahoo group i'll give it a whirl.

#360 ·
Swapping for nursing necklace materials sounds fabulous!

If it is just a matter of collecting addresses and sending them out to folks, I can do that I guess. Everyone gets beads and then sends them to all the other mamas? I didn't do it the first time, so I might need a crash course. I have organized swaps before (like the MDC chocolate swap, yummy).

#362 ·
I'm going to attempt to make one with what I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Maggie has been up for 2 hours, 4 changes of clothes, 8 bibs, numerous spit rags, and one change of clothes for me. Why is she doing this? Is she sick or is the medication no longer working. Its at the correct dose? Why does my child not have an instruction manual or lights on her forehead like red means she is getting sick or something like that so I know what is going on.
I'm sorry. I don't have any advice, I wish I did.

#363 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by koru View Post
heidi, so sorry maggie is vomiting again. that is stressful. dd1 had something similar but i never looked into it, medically. she projectile vomited for months, only slept 20 minutes at a time & woke up all night long to nurse. silly me thought that was just what babies did!? i mentioned it to her doc a few times but since she was gaining weight & growing strong we didn't do anything. anyway, let's hope maggie grows out of this!
Unfortunately, the latest research shows that ignoring is not the best solution and actually children do not grow out of the problem it comes back to bite you later in life. I had no idea until I started researching this a few months ago. I could not believe how many families I found just like mine with the reflux problems. My oldest is one of those kids who the thought was oh just ignore it he is gaining weight and fine. Now we know all the problems he had was interrelated. We had no idea until the last year everything that is wrong with him comes down to celiac disease. He had horrible acid reflux and did not sleep for which they hospitalized him for. At some point he stopped spitting up, but was a silent reflux. The acid reflux caused chronic ear infections (which we did not know was caused from the acid reflux), the chronic ear infections made it so his hearing was off so his language skills did not develop so he was cognitively delayed. When he was about 8 he developed heart problems which we now know was caused from the reflux which is caused from the celiac disease. He was hospitalized on and off from things which again aggravated by the reflux. Last year, he got mono and had over 1,000 ulcers from the reflux, etc. The drs say now he will always have trouble with ulcers and probably will need surgery for the reflux. He is this healthy kid that has really suffered. Then my youngest son, had all these problems from birth and now he has juvenile arthritis which we found out is from celiac disease. Again, we had the warning signs of reflux we just did not know. The JA is not reversible but they say if we had caught the celiac in time he would not have developed it. So here we are with Miss Maggie, we know more then likely she has celiac disease. We are glutton free and she is on the right medication but I wonder what am I missing???? What horrible thing is going to develop because everyone missed the warning signs?

I should say if we had no had Maggie we probably would have never known about the celiac disease and gone much longer going why are these things happening to our kids and scratching or heads. Our doctor says we have the healthiest kids with bad problems that are scary. My oldest son and youngest son have come close a couple times to dying all because of glutton but we did not know that. Its really stupid...its like people who die because they choked on popcorn.

#365 ·
I know you were not....I mean maybe this is nothing like a growth spurt. I know from the past 4 kids that can set up the reflux but I just hate not knowing is nothing to worry about or is something, kwim?

The other day I got glutton in a sugar free syrup from a coffee stand but I know what it looks like when I eat glutton with her. I just do not understand why she is taking such a downward spiral. Its been at least 2 months since she has done the violent projectiling. I am telling you babies need equipped with little nobs or something that says this is wrong or that is wrong.

#366 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
http://www.mommynecklaces.com/nursin...ededitions.htm
I have the Harmony nursing necklace from here- I love it, babe loves it, and it matches everything!
That's the link I found when I was browsing this morning too - I love most of the colors on there, could buy them out. Probably a good thing she's out on babymoon. I looked at some of their other distributors but they all seem to be down to slim pickings. I can't wear jewelry with metal at all, so I actually want some just for wearing too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
The other day I got glutton in a sugar free syrup from a coffee stand but I know what it looks like when I eat glutton with her. I just do not understand why she is taking such a downward spiral. Its been at least 2 months since she has done the violent projectiling. I am telling you babies need equipped with little nobs or something that says this is wrong or that is wrong.
I'm sorry Maggie's not doing well. Your comment reminds me of a gadget I stumbled across when I was pregnant with one or the other of them - a device that reads the different types of crying and tells you what is wrong - hungry, tired, etc. I laughed at the time, but wouldn't it be nice if it really worked? I mean, they were marketing it as really working, but um, I have my doubts, ya know?

#367 ·
I love how chatty we all are - I love to hear what everyone is up to. Alana I hope your husband finds his calling, and that it pays well!

I hope you figure out what's wrong with Maggie soon Heidi; you have done that dectective work before, so I have no doubt you'll figure it out - but I know it's not something you want to be doing right now with work! Unschooling rocks!

I would love to do a swap where we swap stuff that doesn't require craftiness. How about we pull names and send a care package to one other person? We can all give some ideas of what we want, what we like, things to avoid. Is that too complicated and too much work?! LOL I just know I will never put together a necklace...

Tonight Delia and I were doing latchhook and Henry scooted over to us - it was totally the first "little brother" moment when she was pulling stuff away from him, trying to block him from getting at her stuff. It was so funny. Delia has decided to be a ghost for Halloween. That is a good, easy costume - yay!

Stephanie, would you want to get together Friday morning? I'm in the far NW suburbs and feel like jamming as much stuff into this visit as I can. I'll PM you...

Henry's sleep is a bit sketchy for the past few nights. His bottom gum is red to the left of his 2 teeth down there, and it feels like his top left tooth is going to pop through in the next day or two. Poor baby.

#368 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
I would love to do a swap where we swap stuff that doesn't require craftiness. How about we pull names and send a care package to one other person? We can all give some ideas of what we want, what we like, things to avoid. Is that too complicated and too much work?! LOL I just know I will never put together a necklace...
:

Kayleigh is having trouble sleeping too. I've put her down twice already tonight and we're now sitting here bouncing on the exercise ball because she was up again and I'm NOY nursing her to sleep again before midnight tonight.... her "suck to sleep" link is growing and I don't want her to only be able to nurse to sleep. I can feel her tummy rumbling though, I must have eaten some garlic, poor kid.

#369 ·
Whew - I just finished Clan of the Cave Bear. Luckily, the sequel isn't in the house so I am free until I locate a copy. That's one of those books that just consumes you (me anyway) until it's done. I was doing really well only reading when nursing or walking Henry, but then it was just too good - I was taking it into the bathroom with me and staying longer than a good mother should! ROFL Luckily we are at my in-laws' so there are lots of arms available when I go off to get my literary fix. I had never read it before, and was expecting all these sex scenes from the way people talked about it!

Ah, cheese. I'm feeling the effects. It's not TOO bad, but it's still not fun. I am getting better though - I'm now to the point that I don't usually cheat for stupid stuff, only when I know it'll almost be worth it. Henry doesn't seem to be bothered by it, and Delia nurses so little, at least I'm not affecting anyone but myself. (She says hopefully.)

I spent about ten minutes looking how to change my mood and then saw it right there staring right at me. All that effort just to finally select "fine" from the long list of options. Too funny.

I did figure out how to display 100 posts per page, and if you do that this thread is only four pages!

#370 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by emiLy View Post

Stephanie, would you want to get together Friday morning? I'm in the far NW suburbs and feel like jamming as much stuff into this visit as I can. I'll PM you...

oh emily, i'm so bummed that i'm watching my friend's little girl friday! i would back out (because she's my friend & might understand) but the last time i was scheduled to watch her i thought simone had pink eye & canceled at the last minute. when do you leave? i should just pm you again.....

#371 ·
Just had a rough night with Maggie. I do not think it was because of anything wrong with her just the fact I have no idea...she just nursed most the night. I am glad well glad is not the right word...man lack of sleep sure makes it hard to get out what one wants to say...I am glad that I see other people dealing with sleep problems. It must be the age.

I went back to work this week and last night was rough on Maggie. She was tired and she did not want her daddy at all and could not understand why mommy was not holding her. She finally went to sleep for daddy right as I finished uped. Maybe that is why she had a rough night. I tell you 4 am came awful early this morning.

#372 ·
Oh boy my daughter scares me sometimes. I am also proud of her stubbornness. She was not happy with me this morning since I was not in bed with her when she woke up. She let me know. She probably is still holding a grudge from last night too. Anyway, she messed her pants and I needed to get diapers washed so I had to change the laundry around. I might be talented but I cannot fold clothes one handed. So I had her on her stomach on the floor while I was changing the laundry around. She proceeded to yell at me. She does not cry a lot but she does yell. She also has developed a scream when she is mad at me. So I picked her up calmed her down and then put her back down as I needed to get the diapers going. Anyway, she yelled at me again and boy was she mad she was so mad she scooted over to me. It was a good 4 feet. It was so funny seeing the look on her face. It was pure determination.

#374 ·
What are we swapping?

Are we still doing a bead exchange?

My DH works total opposite schedule as me now.. So I've only talked to him a couple times since he's been gone
He is hoping this movie goes union, becuase one of the only ways to break into the California film union is to work on a film that turns union, which means more money on future shows.. And then if that is the case and he can keep up on getting work there, we might temporally live there. Which would be good and bad. I've always wanted to live in Venice Beach, but it's good to have friends and family around to help out if I need it.

I got Sebastian a Rooster costume at Target. And if anyone hasn't gotten anything for their LO yet, Old Navy's are 50% off.

#375 ·
My guy is not sleeping great right now either and seems to be doing some chomping (toothless) where his gumb feel ba on my nipple. Perhaps he will get a tooth?

So my love-slug is now a proficent roller (although only to the righ it seems
) and is getting more mobile (and less slug like). Those with facebook know that my baby is working on a "he with the most rolls win" strategy

Sorry Maggie is not going well - that sucks. But, you are right that she is a fighter and good to be proud of her

I could organize a random swap where folks tell me who is in and then say what they would like and get a surprise care package. Does everyone have access to the TP because we could organize one over there then.

#377 ·
anyone else's LO discovered the fake cough yet?
ezra figured this out a couple days ago & it's oh-so cute. at first i thought he was really coughing but after a few days i'm quite sure he just learned something new....ya gotta love these babes!

#378 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by koru View Post
anyone else's LO discovered the fake cough yet?
ezra figured this out a couple days ago & it's oh-so cute. at first i thought he was really coughing but after a few days i'm quite sure he just learned something new....ya gotta love these babes!
OMG! I thought Kashi was the only one
She totally tells "mama get back here" or "stop fussing with me already!" via coughs. Adorable!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.