Mothering Forum banner

April 2007 babes - November HAS ARRIVED!

15K views 625 replies 39 participants last post by  4lilfarmers 
#1 ·
I get to start! The one compensation for getting up at the crack of dawn (well, before - 5 am). And this is late compared to last year!

Any other working Moms just SICK of working? We need the $ that I earn beyond the kids daycare, but I am hating it. Plus, Abby has to have 1 bottle of formula a day at daycare because I have tried everything and nothing is bringing my supply up. Any ideas to save me from working hell?

Abby is about ready to really crawl!

Happy November!!!

See less See more
#179 ·
So Miss Scarlet is joining the standing crew? How exciting for the two of you. I'm content with Sophia army crawling and attempting to sit better.

No foods for us yet. She isn't sitting well and seemed so urpy after having sweet potatoes. I need to get some pears.

Off to my sister's so I will post more when I get back!

#180 ·
OK the big weigh in...she totally faked me out. She was only 18.3 lbs....but MAN I feel like it's way more than that, lol. And is 29 inches. I love our fam doctor, he's so nice and down to earth...no random comments about co-sleeping/breastfeeding/etc. I told him I was waiting until she was sitting up well before starting solids and he said he feels comfortable with her nursing exclusively up until 9 months so not to worry about it.

OTH my MIL is starting to drive me crazy. She is OBSESSED with the solid foods. I know she gives me advice b/c she loves us and truly thinks she knows best but it drives me nuts. I HATE unsolicited advice. And she always advises things that I think are ridiculous, like if I "feed" her she'll sleep through the night. She's also "worried" about Gianna sitting up and calls and asks me "How's her sitting up going???" and I'm like.... 'Ahhhhh leave us alone! She's barely 6 months. She's FINE."
: She takes it personally that we are doing things pretty much opposite the way she did things. Like I need more things to stress about....motherhood is stressful enough! Sigh.

Anyways. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

#181 ·
queenanne,
uuughh...sometimes it's so hard to deal with well-meaning family members and their crazy advice. My MIL kept telling me that I was doing harm to Scout after she was born because I was choosing to wait 6 weeks before taking her out in public or allowing any non-family visitors. She said that she needed to build up her immunities and I was screwing that up. While I agree with the idea of not sheltering kids and babies from the world around them and letting them get exposure, I think it was perfectly reasonable to want to hole up in our own home with our new baby for a while. The same woman is also upset that we are going to fly to see my family at Christmas because of all the sick people and germs on planes. Talk about contradiction!!

Scout has a patch of eczema on her chest that is creeping up her neck. I've tried creams, airing it out, clay powder, keeping it covered (so she won't scratch it), and trying to keep it dry and free from the flood of drool that pours from her mouth. But it only seems to be getting worse. Part of me wants to take her to see the ped, but I know he will just prescribe some sort of cortisone cream, which I don't want to put on my babe. I think I am going to have to cut dairy from my diet and see if that helps. It started before she tried any solids, so I know it's not what she's eating. I guess it must be something I'm eating, I dunno. Any other mommas battling eczema with their LO's? I feel so bad for her because she always wants to scratch it. I try to keep it covered with a bib so she won't scratch it, but then I think that fresh air might do it some good, so I don't know what to do.
: My mom told me to put some Dial soap on a wash cloth and clean it with that, but not rinse the soap off (that's what a ped told my sis when her kids had it, and supposedly, it worked). That just grates against my better sensibilities, so I don't think we're going to try that.

#182 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kewpie-o View Post
Scout has a patch of eczema on her chest that is creeping up her neck. I've tried creams, airing it out, clay powder, keeping it covered (so she won't scratch it), and trying to keep it dry and free from the flood of drool that pours from her mouth. But it only seems to be getting worse. Part of me wants to take her to see the ped, but I know he will just prescribe some sort of cortisone cream, which I don't want to put on my babe.
Both of my older two kids had patches of eczema at different times when they were babies... i found putting lansinoh on the irritated skin worked wonders. It seems to keep the skin nice and moistuized but also protects it from drool and rubbing. It can leave greasy marks on fabric, though, but you might want to give it a try before you start restricting your diet... we use "nipple cream" for everything

#183 ·
kewpie-o- I have an IRL friend who put BM on her DD's eczema and it cleared right up (better than the prescription cream she had!)

I have been going crazy cleaning up my house today...

So my little boy is becoming a ladies man...yesterday at BF class he was "kissing" the girls on there heads (ok, slobbering on their hair) it was funny and cute though. He has also decided that sense he can't crawl yet the next best thing is to grab onto the pants of any baby that can crawl so they pull him along!

Johnny just finally grew out of his small dipes and we don't have enough of the next size so it's sposies until I can get enough store credit at the consignment store to get more cloths (but I have enough to let him wear them when I go to LLL or API groups etc so I look all 'natural parenty' LOL - when I "had" to have a certain haircut as all my friends as a teen I just really never thought that I would "have" to have certain dipes!
).

#184 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post
(but I have enough to let him wear them when I go to LLL or API groups etc so I look all 'natural parenty' LOL - when I "had" to have a certain haircut as all my friends as a teen I just really never thought that I would "have" to have certain dipes!
).

I know what you mean. Back when we were still using sposies for outings and night time, I would put DD in cloth for LLL meetings and playgroups w/ crunchy families.

Thanks for the tips on lanolin and breastmilk for the eczema - I will try both!

Scout bit my nipple for the first time today.
I knew it would probably happen sooner or later, but it was still an unwelcome shock. I was trying to nurse her down for a nap and she wasn't sleepy enough yet, so she started squirming and playing. Just as I had the thought, "I bet she's about done, she's popped off a couple times", she bit down hard, but released quickly (thank goodness!) I gasped pretty loud, but she didn't notice, since she was already on her way off of the boob and onto her tummy to play. The couple times that I've nursed her since then, I've had a tought time relaxing.

ps - that's so funny about Johnny being into "the ladies" LOL
I love to watch babies interact with eachother.

#185 ·
Sophia gets some eczema on her legs if I eat eggs.

Claire had it something terrible and not has the extensive and asthma to go with it.

If it is in the neck, you might want to watch it and if it doesn't go away, you might have a doc look at it to see if it complicated by yeast or bacteria.

#186 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MizLiz View Post
Both of my older two kids had patches of eczema at different times when they were babies... i found putting lansinoh on the irritated skin worked wonders. It seems to keep the skin nice and moistuized but also protects it from drool and rubbing. It can leave greasy marks on fabric, though, but you might want to give it a try before you start restricting your diet... we use "nipple cream" for everything

lol so do we
i put it on my lips and on G's bum when it looks a little dry/chapped. I love that stuff.

#187 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by queen_anne78 View Post
OK the big weigh in...she totally faked me out. She was only 18.3 lbs....but MAN I feel like it's way more than that, lol. And is 29 inches.

OTH my MIL is starting to drive me crazy. I know she gives me advice b/c she loves us and truly thinks she knows best but it drives me nuts. I HATE unsolicited advice. And she always advises things that I think are ridiculous, like if I "feed" her she'll sleep through the night. Like I need more things to stress about....motherhood is stressful enough! Sigh.
!
Evangeline was weighed at her recent appt too- and she was only 20lbs! I was surprised, I was sure she was more! We did get the dtap vax, I had decided to get that one. Not sure about the mmr, definately not the prevnar, verivax or menjugate.
My mother sometimes questions me, especially as some things I'm doing now are different than with Axel. It's tough too, because unlike you I welcome unsolicited advice, and I have to learn to brush it off and not let it sway me. I also don't want to insult her, but I try to do things consciously, and I don't want it to seem like I'm being weird, just informed.
A

#188 ·
"only" 20lbs!!!!!???? That sounds huge to me with my skiny little one
Actually I think he is getting "chubby" he's 17.9 and has a few tiny folds on his thighs
Well I weighed him at BF class right after he ate to see how much his intake was and it came to 18.3 with a dipe on...that was exciting....

#189 ·
I haven't had a chance to read through this thread but I just wanted to say that DD is getting her THIRD tooth! It makes me so proud for some reason

#190 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post

Johnny just finally grew out of his small dipes and we don't have enough of the next size so it's sposies until I can get enough store credit at the consignment store to get more cloths (but I have enough to let him wear them when I go to LLL or API groups etc so I look all 'natural parenty' LOL - when I "had" to have a certain haircut as all my friends as a teen I just really never thought that I would "have" to have certain dipes!
).

lol!! even though i have enough dipes sometimes when we go out i use sposies and i use them at night cause she sleeps better in them... but i always make sure she has her cute diapers clean and on when we go to LLL and such!! (did you notice her pretty bum genius?? lol)

#191 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kewpie-o View Post

Scout has a patch of eczema on her chest that is creeping up her neck. I've tried creams, airing it out, clay powder, keeping it covered (so she won't scratch it), and trying to keep it dry and free from the flood of drool that pours from her mouth. But it only seems to be getting worse. Part of me wants to take her to see the ped, but I know he will just prescribe some sort of cortisone cream, which I don't want to put on my babe. I think I am going to have to cut dairy from my diet and see if that helps. It started before she tried any solids, so I know it's not what she's eating. I guess it must be something I'm eating, I dunno. Any other mommas battling eczema with their LO's? I feel so bad for her because she always wants to scratch it. I try to keep it covered with a bib so she won't scratch it, but then I think that fresh air might do it some good, so I don't know what to do.
: My mom told me to put some Dial soap on a wash cloth and clean it with that, but not rinse the soap off (that's what a ped told my sis when her kids had it, and supposedly, it worked). That just grates against my better sensibilities, so I don't think we're going to try that.

Caroline had some early and has a tiny bit now but when we stopped dairy for her belly her eczema cleared up too! ok i can't believe i am saying this but try A+D diaper rash stuff i got it for Carolines bum cause NOTHING was working and her bums is clear!! and the little spot of eczema on her chest is almost gone cause i put it on there and her drooly rash on her chins is gone too! i usually hate things with petroleum in it or fragrance but its working i figure once we clear it up then we can use something better to prevent it from coming back.

Hailey ( dd2) has really really bad eczema and i am having a hard time treating hers i do use cortisone cream when it gets bad cause it starts to bleed and she is so miserable.
ohh and DO NOT use DIAL!!!! its the worst!! Hailey washed her face with dial at my MIL house and her face swelled and was red and horrible looking, i rushed her to urgent care!! it might of just been her reacting to it but it makes me think its pretty harsh on sensitive skin!

#192 ·
I haven't had a chance to read through all the posts so I'll just say hello to all

My mother was diagnosed with cancer this week (lymphoma, not sure which kind yet, biopsy will be next week). My Grandmother, mum's mum, has non hodgkins lymphoma so this is a trying time for our family. Also my dad lost his job a few weeks ago. I'm in the midst of trying to keep everyone sane, if only to keep myself sane. The idea of being a mommy without my mum is too much.

Ewan still is not sleeping. He is still happy all the time though. It's nearly midnight and he is excitedly wiggling on the floor. He just can't sleep. Oh well. He also thinks he can walk. He keeps letting go while cruising. I'd like to point out that he CAN NOT walk, and letting go mearly results in him careening to the floor, (don't worry he is always caught before he gets there). He is such a monkey! Oh I think he may be asking to nurse, could sleep be coming soon?

#194 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post
Evangeline was weighed at her recent appt too- and she was only 20lbs! I was surprised, I was sure she was more! We did get the dtap vax, I had decided to get that one. Not sure about the mmr, definately not the prevnar, verivax or menjugate.
My mother sometimes questions me, especially as some things I'm doing now are different than with Axel. It's tough too, because unlike you I welcome unsolicited advice, and I have to learn to brush it off and not let it sway me. I also don't want to insult her, but I try to do things consciously, and I don't want it to seem like I'm being weird, just informed.
A
My family doc told me that if I had any reservations about doing the MMR to hold off until age 2. By that time if the child you would see signs of autism and there for it did not come from the shot (and hence no mommy guilt for giving the shot).

#196 ·
Rant incoming:

I love my Mom, really, but I've spent the last week at her house with the baby. She is actually fairly AP, she breastfed us all (my sister and the twins to a year, me to 10 months), my sister co-slept in her bed till she was 4, she cloth diapered me and one of my sisters. She was the one who suggested delaying/cutting out some of his vaccinations. She also has said she had her chance with her 4, so since DS is my son it is up to me on what I want to do to raise him.

That being said, in the past week she has commented something like 6 million times how giving him a little rice cereal will help him sleep better at night. She doesn't seem to get the point that we do not want to do rice cereal. We'll do oatmeal, but I really don't want to do rice cereal. I also don't think it will help him sleep at night, but that is another story all together. I mean he has had more non-breast milk in the past week, then he has in the past month. Which I don't mind, but he isn't getting rice cereal. It is really getting annoying actually.

Her other comment about how he is hungry, and needs food to help fill in the gap, is getting annoying too, I mean DS does like solids, he loves to play with them and eat his cut up pieces of fruits and veggies, but he so isn't getting much in the way of calorie intake out of them. Heck if we gave him rice cereal he still won't be getting many calories since he would be getting like 1 tablespoon at the most of it. So I really don't follow her logic.

On the plus side we head home tomorrow, and when we come back on the 20th (for Thanksgiving), all my siblings and such will be staying at the lake house with us and so we probably won't have to hear the whole rice cereal thing for those 5 days at least.

I really do love her and hanging out and spending time with her, but I really wish she would get off this rice cereal kick, since I have no intention of giving Desmond rice cereal.

Ahh that ranting felt so good. My mother in law also comments on the rice cereal, but it isn't as bad with her since she lives by us, so we only see them for a few hours at a time. Though I am still boggling over my mother in laws comment, when we were talking about carseats, that Desmond would get bored facing the rear, so we'd have to switch him to forward facing. Both DH and I were wondering how boredom trumped safety but we didn't bother asking, since the likelyhood of his parents driving Desmond is extremely low.

#197 ·
Re: rice cereal
No one ever says anything to me about rice cereal!! I think I scare people out of giving me advice. Maybe because when they try, I open my eyes extra wide and say something like "you're kidding right? People don't give babies rice cereal anymore! Even I know that much! It's empty calories and can even cause "insert whatever - allergies, obesity, eczema, weird deformities, low IQ"
It works. Seriously.

#198 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
My family doc told me that if I had any reservations about doing the MMR to hold off until age 2. By that time if the child you would see signs of autism and there for it did not come from the shot (and hence no mommy guilt for giving the shot).
I think that's wise.
As for you getting advice that you welcome, I actually enjoy reading the shock on people's faces when I tell them boldly that dd isn't vaccinated. Liberating, really! I swear I'm becoming weirdly militant about my choices (meaning I don't let people push me over, not the other way around
), because people don't even ask me these questions anymore!

#201 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nani View Post
Maybe I'm still on another planet here, but what is the controversy about rice cereal??
It's not a controversy... Just not the most nutritious of foods. And since our parents fed us rice cereal as young as 3 weeks, they assume we should do the same with our kids. Most experts now believe we should skip the whole baby cereal phase and go right to "normal" cereals... As in oatmeal and such.

#202 ·
I made my own rice cereal using organic brown rice, I just ground it in a food processor till it was a fine powder then to cook it I'd add 1/4 rice powder to a cup of boiling water and cook for 10 minutes. Then I'd add expressed breast milk to make it runny. I don't make it anymore though because I discovered DD would rather eat whatever I'm having e.g.. curry, spaghetti, burrito's,

#203 ·
We're skipping the grains here too for awhile.

Maybe we'll try solids again next week. It would be kind of fun for her to be "eating" something on Thanksgiving...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.