Mothering Forum banner

Yet one more cause for Autism!

6K views 110 replies 28 participants last post by  Jennifer3141 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
At what point is this going to stop? Why do they keep looking at more crazy stuff when the obvious things are right in front of them and have been pointed out. The real interrsting thing to me is that I see autism as a brain difference. Just like a person with cognitive impairment has a brain difference. So if there can be many causes for cognitive impairment(some known and some not), why can't there be for autism? If there is this much money in autism research, why are we all fighting to get our kids therapy and support? Why can't they throw some of that money our way?

#6 ·
Tin foil hats for all!

And flaming bags of poo for all too!

Oh wait, next tin foil hats and poo are the real causes!

OH NO! Then we will get everyone to stop pooing!

Then we will find out constipation causes autism!

Crap.

or perhaps autistic characteristics and tendencies are a combination of physical, enviornmental, genetic, metabolic, gastroentrological and other characteristics and there is not one set cause that causes it and can be a manifestation of other things.........but that would take logic and thought. no let's just blame everything from teletubbies to cheerios instead.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodama View Post
or perhaps autistic characteristics and tendencies are a combination of physical, enviornmental, genetic, metabolic, gastroentrological and other characteristics and there is not one set cause that causes it and can be a manifestation of other things.........but that would take logic and thought. no let's just blame everything from teletubbies to cheerios instead.
hey!!!!!! the teletubbies deserve to be criminalized!! *shudders* but ITA there is no one single cause, for anything alot of our kids deal with..unless we are speaking of genetic disorders/anomilies eg downs syndrome, even then, every child is different, just like nt kids.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
hey!!!!!! the teletubbies deserve to be criminalized!! *shudders* but ITA there is no one single cause, for anything alot of our kids deal with..unless we are speaking of genetic disorders/anomilies eg downs syndrome, even then, every child is different, just like nt kids.
I am so thankful DD and DS hate the teletubbies and barney.

Unfortunately, Wonder Pets and Dora are quite popular here with DD and DS loves Mickey Mouse and Big Big World.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy View Post
if you ignore the genetic link that makes analytical people more likely to have wifi/live in wifi areas and more likely to have autistic kids, it almost makes sense.

It's like saying eating potatoes will turn you irish.

OMG - we have wifi in our area - and we eat potatoes too!

We must be Irish Autistics!

Wait...no...we're already Irish, and my dh and the boys are science/computer geeks...

look - straws! Let's all grasp at them blindly!

#12 ·
Well, thank goodness. They've found the cause and it isn't vaccines!!

I joined a local autism support network and laughed my fanny off at the one mom who does Floortime for hours and hours everyday describing one of her friends who won't shut up about vaccines and the GFCF diet.

She said, I'm on the floor eye to eye with my kid all day long, I barely wipe myself well after I pee because I have three kids - and we're all playing with her all day long on her level and my "friend" wants me to grind my own flour from our yard clippings. Sometimes I like clean underwear!

I know the diet works for some people but I'm getting really sick of people lauding their "cures" for autism. So hooay for wi-fi!

#13 ·
I can't top all the hilarious things being said here. Thanks so much for the laughs--I open these threads expecting to be mad and it's fun to laugh instead! I love this board!

#14 ·
Quote:

if you ignore the genetic link that makes analytical people more likely to have wifi/live in wifi areas and more likely to have autistic kids, it almost makes sense.
That was my first thought. DH and I were the first to get wifi on our block. We were the only network then and now there are dozens.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
Did you know potatoes are not native to Ireland? That's why they had potato blight leading to famine. Not that this has anything to do with anything.
yeah it's crazy to think it took less than 100 years of having potatoes at all in Ireland to make them so dependant on them that 15% of the population died when the potatoes failed, that is really quick.

It's funny to list facts about Irish White Potatoes: Native plant to South America. Also it's strange that the irish climate is actually really bad for growing potatoes, but they are such a useful food that they had to make it work.

The valuable lesson is that you should not rely on one food for 80% of human and livestock's calories. No matter how perfect the food is... SOYBEANS I'm looking at you... Imagine a soybean famine in the modern US. That is all.

#20 ·
Quote:

SOYBEANS I'm looking at you... Imagine a soybean famine in the modern US. That is all.
And this is why I have a total crush on ShaggyDaddy
:

Plus, I learned today, prompted by SD's DDDDC that despite my lifelong conviction that the Stray Cats were an obscure Canadian band, they are in fact Long Island natives.

That is all.

Martha

#23 ·
Quote:

It is attractive that I play out hundreds of bizarre doomsday scenarios in my brain daily?? Maybe my current novel project (failed nano, but i'm not giving up) will have more appeal than I thought. It's not science fiction if it's plausable right?
/swoon

So do I. My favorie one is about a virus that only affects republicans. What if you woke up one morning and all the republicans were gone?

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
Maybe the republicans are the cause of autism...

:

not likely - ds has had very little contact with republicans....although we did just move from texas...it might be in the water there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.