Mothering Forum banner

May 2007 it is December already

22K views 1K replies 39 participants last post by  emiLy 
#1 ·
Check in lets us know how you are doing.

Can you believe 7 months old already or soon to be.
:
Anyone else finding their baby is growing way to fast?

See less See more
#129 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Morning mamas, I don't really have much to say, just upping the post count

Hey, when did the side smilies change? the LOL isn't there anymore.
I just noticed they changed the short list today, but noticed a BUNCH of new smilies in the "more" list a couple of days ago - when I changed my sig

#131 ·
I love Frontier co-ops. The Weleda Arnica and lavander massage oil is wonderful - my homeopath recommended we have it around and I really like it. I also LOVE the aura cacia cocoa butter with vanilla in it. It is amazing - like a chocolate massage

I am not pg, for sure. I have no af yet and while we have lots of sex we use protection every single time and have since Clay was born. We are done at two, sad as it is sometimes to think about. Someone else can be the pg mama because it is not me!

I am working my way through my doula trtaining books and enjoying that (although it makes getting my paid work done a bit slower). I have been seeing one pp doula client also and things seem to be improving for her now (bad latch, cracked nipples, etc).

Ds and I made beeswax candles together this morning for him to give as gifts to his friends and family. He decorated them all so cute.

Did I mention that his recital was awesome? He was so proud of himself and told me he love performing on stage (he had been worried he would be nervous) and that he wanted to do it a lot more!
A born performer I suppose.

I feel like I never write anymore. Clay loves his teething necklace. I got it from atoygarden.com (which I love) and he has been wearing it for a couple of days. He is a mellow dude with no teeth, so I can't say if it works or not!
No food here still and no movement. He is like a hummingbird the way he flaps his arms when he wants something, though. To cute.

#132 ·
Speaking of alcohol, I got a new type of wine last week on the recommendation of the wine seller. It's called Garnacha de Fuego and it is a red from Spain. It is a fairly inexpensive wine and it is wonderful. I love it. Our friend shared it with us the night we had it and them went and bought us 2 more bottles because he agreed that it was a great choice. Anyhow, perhaps someone in their holilday celebrations will need a good wine - I recommend this one!

#135 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
Speaking of alcohol, I got a new type of wine last week on the recommendation of the wine seller. It's called Garnacha de Fuego and it is a red from Spain. It is a fairly inexpensive wine and it is wonderful. I love it. Our friend shared it with us the night we had it and them went and bought us 2 more bottles because he agreed that it was a great choice. Anyhow, perhaps someone in their holilday celebrations will need a good wine - I recommend this one!
DH loves Spanish red wine. i will have to look for that at the store if i ever go.. all wine in utah is sold at the liquor store
:.. DH was just in WY for work, though and got a bottle of Spanish Sangria for the solstice

Quote:

I got the book veganomicon and it is terrific. Just thought I would tell you all this
Post counts and all.
This is my jealous face:

#136 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by stacey0402 View Post
this is totally cracking me up this morning. I turned me and the kids into elves:

http://www.elfyourself.com/?id=1217420742
i love that site and love that they upgraded it this year to do more than one person at a time. i did hubby and his siblings earlier this season and the boys all ended up with boobs and the girls not, which made me laugh even harder. i want to do the scrooge one with his dad's face but i can't find the right picture

#137 ·
hey megan...since you go to a homeopath, what is the general consensus about homeopathic remedies and bf'ing? i just ordered a bunch of stuff from washington homeopathics (thru a co-op) and every bottle says to consult a practitioner before taking if bf'ing. i just found a homeopath in the area that i'd like to see after the first of the year but i want to start taking some of them now (cell salts & a cough remedy). safe?

#138 ·
Quote:

I am working my way through my doula trtaining books and enjoying that (although it makes getting my paid work done a bit slower).
who are getting certified with, again? i'm this/close to being done with my ALACE training. all i have left is the written exam & it's slow going. then....on to the CBE certification! i have my first doula client since ezra's birth & i'm loving it. she's not due until march which is nice because ez will be 10 months old & hopefully i'll feel more comfortable leaving him for an extended period of time.

#139 ·
Tonight we are having the first girls night out in a year and a half! I am way too excited! We are going to a nice bar that has the best beer selection in the whole state, even better than the liquor store (not only do you have to buy wine at the liquor store here, you also have to go there if you want any good beer that is more than 3%

Tomorrow, I am going to my mom's-side of the family Christmas party... they are all ubber-mormon-conservatives, and I am definitely the odd-ball of the family. One Xmas 3 years ago, my uncle told me that I HAD to be a lesbian, since I was a liberal, and all liberals are gay
... He has since apologized for saying that (not that I have any thing against lesbians, my sister just went through a "phase").. Anyway, fun-fun

#140 ·
Quote:

I am working my way through my doula trtaining books and enjoying that (although it makes getting my paid work done a bit slower). I have been seeing one pp doula client also and things seem to be improving for her now (bad latch, cracked nipples, etc).

Did I mention that his recital was awesome? He was so proud of himself and told me he love performing on stage (he had been worried he would be nervous) and that he wanted to do it a lot more!
A born performer I suppose.
I've thought about being a doula too. THis would be a few years down the road, though, since I am still in college, and don't really have time to leave for 10 hours straight.

Congrats on the recital for your ds!

#142 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by koru View Post
how do you type a word & have it be a link to a photo? i figured this out once before but now i've forgotten!?
type word, highlight word, click picture of the world with a link of chain in front of it, enter link info, if you copied and pasted it make sure that it doesn't have 2 http:// because it keeps one even if you highlight it to replace it

Sam

#143 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFPookie View Post
type word, highlight word, click picture of the world with a link of chain in front of it, enter link info, if you copied and pasted it make sure that it doesn't have 2 http:// because it keeps one even if you highlight it to replace it

Sam
How cute!

How did you get your DDDC Diaper MacGyver? Form your inventive post? I forget who says what sometimes.
:

#145 ·
I HAVE to multi-quote as I always seem to be short on time to catch up these days....

Quote:

I also LOVE the aura cacia cocoa butter with vanilla in it. It is amazing - like a chocolate massage

I second this! Let's just say that DH and I BOTH love it

Quote:

short
list of things that have happened this week
Ugh, you poor thing! Sounds like you could use a trip to koru's sister's spa, no? Hope you're hanging in there, sweetie.

Quote:

who are getting certified with, again? i'm this/close to being done with my ALACE training. all i have left is the written exam & it's slow going. then....on to the CBE certification! i have my first doula client since ezra's birth & i'm loving it. she's not due until march which is nice because ez will be 10 months old & hopefully i'll feel more comfortable leaving him for an extended period of time.
I didn't realize so many of us are (or are thinking of becoming) birth workers! My training is through DONA, but I am scheduled for the ALACE training in March and I can't wait! My doula was trained through ALACE, as are lots of women I interviewed for my dissertation research, so I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

Megan, I am actually trying to convince DH to move to NYC (my BF lives there and is pregnant with her first). When I saw you were doing doula/babywearing work now I mentioned it to him and he said we can go only if you and I start a business together so he can stay home and write
. I have seriously been thinking about starting a business/cooperative devoted to gentle birth and parenting choices when I finish this
dissertation.

Quote:

hey megan...since you go to a homeopath, what is the general consensus about homeopathic remedies and bf'ing? i just ordered a bunch of stuff from washington homeopathics (thru a co-op) and every bottle says to consult a practitioner before taking if bf'ing. i just found a homeopath in the area that i'd like to see after the first of the year but i want to start taking some of them now (cell salts & a cough remedy). safe?
Koru, my pediatrician/homeopath says that all remedies are generally compatible with breastfeeding because of the miniscule amount of the remedy that goes into the pellets and eventually your system.I would just call and ask if you want to be sure about a specific remedy.

Hugs to all the sick mamas and mamas with sick babies. Will try to post more later

#146 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
I didn't realize so many of us are (or are thinking of becoming) birth workers! My training is through DONA, but I am scheduled for the ALACE training in March and I can't wait! My doula was trained through ALACE, as are lots of women I interviewed for my dissertation research, so I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

i didn't know you were a doula! you are going to love your ALACE weekend. my workshop leader was therese & she was miraculous. such a pleasure to learn from. i met so many wonderful women that weekend & we still keep in touch. the funny thing about my ALACE training is that on the final day, therese talked to us about birth control.
she metioned how weekends such as those are filled with oxytocin & fertility is at a high. and....i unexpectedly became pregnant with ezra a couple weeks later!!
i guess i proved her right....

seriously, though, ALACE is such a fabulous organization. i can't speak more highly of them. i'm thinking about organizing a workshop in chicago in '08.

#147 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by stacey0402 View Post
Holy smokes! Well done

:

Quote:

phew~
i've found GSE to work great for yeast/any diaper rash. just add a drop or two to a few ounces of water & dab on with a cotton ball. or, if you use cloth wipes, add a few drops to the wipe water.
I'll have to get some. Right now I'm using miconozole (sp?) & it's getting better already. I wish I had just followed my gut and tried that two weeks ago
: I'll use the GSE to treat the diaps for sure. I probably need to treat myself & DS1 too. . .

Quote:

I just noticed they changed the short list today, but noticed a BUNCH of new smilies in the "more" list a couple of days ago - when I changed my sig
Hey! They added one that I requested in the thread "Post a Smiley you want" Woot! ---->

Now if they would just add this one
Do you guys write out the code for the smiley you want usually, or do you click it?

Quote:

Speaking of alcohol, I got a new type of wine last week on the recommendation of the wine seller. It's called Garnacha de Fuego and it is a red from Spain. It is a fairly inexpensive wine and it is wonderful. . . perhaps someone in their holilday celebrations will need a good wine - I recommend this one!
I'll give it a try

Quote:

Tomorrow, I am going to my mom's-side of the family Christmas party... they are all ubber-mormon-conservatives, and I am definitely the odd-ball of the family.
Fun, fun. Were you supposed to be mormon? I left the church (much to my mother's and sisters' shagrin[sp?]) when I was about 14.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
How cute!

How did you get your DDDC Diaper MacGyver? Form your inventive post?

Quote:

I HAVE to multi-quote as I always seem to be short on time to catch up these days....
. . .My doula was trained through ALACE, as are lots of women I interviewed for my dissertation research, so I'm REALLY looking forward to it.
. . . I have seriously been thinking about starting a business/cooperative devoted to gentle birth and parenting choices when I finish this
dissertation.
Wait. What's your dissertation on again? (I know you've told us
)

Quote:

she metioned how weekends such as those are filled with oxytocin & fertility is at a high. and....i unexpectedly became pregnant with ezra a couple weeks later!!
i guess i proved her right....
It seemed that a statistically significant proportion of the student midwives became pregnant while in school. I was one of them too

#148 ·
Quote:

One Xmas 3 years ago, my uncle told me that I HAD to be a lesbian, since I was a liberal, and all liberals are gay

!! OMG that is hilarious!!
That's about as good as my dad saying if I breastfed my kids I'd "turn them gay"
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
I left the church (much to my mother's and sisters' shagrin[sp?]) when I was about 14.
!! i wouldn't have pegged you as someone with that background...no offense of course!!
One of my close long-time friends is a very devout Mormon and I am split about 50/50 for being fascinated by her, or thinking she's off the deep end
She met me as a lazy Catholic, and she saw me transform from that into a devout Catholic, a questioning Catholic, then into a confused Christian, an agnostic, and finally an eclectic Pagan. She actually got angry and quit speaking to me when I was questioning my first marriage, but later, apologized and was a steady support thru my complicated divorce.
: ...sry, lol.

Well I'm nearly done with gift-buying, we just need a tree!! And lots of cookie ingredients
I bought Claire some Haba blocks and a few board books in German, for dh to read to her. My mom is bummed we're not coming down, but she is buying the kids some really cool stuff this year (aka she LISTENED to me after asking what they wanted!
)--my son's even getting a laptop from that one-laptop-per-child thing too, and that was her own idea

argh, gtg....claire is trying to eat the xbox controllers

#149 ·
Homeopathy is safe while nursing - no worries there. My homeopath is a mom of 2 (extended bf kids who are 8 and 11 now) and works for a midwife (and gives remedies through that practice as well). Totally safe. Only issue I can see is how some remedies will totally knock you out. Last one I took made me SO tired (my constitutional) and I felt like co-sleeping might have been a no-no (dh slept with the babe instead of me).

#150 ·
Quote:

Megan, I am actually trying to convince DH to move to NYC (my BF lives there and is pregnant with her first). When I saw you were doing doula/babywearing work now I mentioned it to him and he said we can go only if you and I start a business together so he can stay home and write
. I have seriously been thinking about starting a business/cooperative devoted to gentle birth and parenting choices when I finish this
dissertation.

Sounds like a plan for sure! I'd love to have a back-up and two doulas with PhDs is a rare and special thing I imagine
Come on down and we can let the men stay home

#151 ·
LizzyQ -- I had been wanting this book and then 2 days ago I was walking down my hallway (I live in a huge building that takes up half a city block and has 20 lofts per floor and 5 floors) and there is was! People leave things they don't want in this one spot - like a floorwide freecycle program and others take it (or the porter takes it to the basement and people can get stuff from this room there). Anyhow, someone just left a BRAND new, perfect condition hardcover vegan cook book for me! I felt my karma must have been good that day
Dh got tempeh today for spicey tempeh nori rolls.

#152 ·
Quote:

People leave things they don't want in this one spot - like a floorwide freecycle program and others take it (or the porter takes it to the basement and people can get stuff from this room there). Anyhow, someone just left a BRAND new, perfect condition hardcover vegan cook book for me! I felt my karma must have been good that day
Dh got tempeh today for spicey tempeh nori rolls.
1) it is so very cool that your building does that.
2) it is so very cool you got an item you really wanted!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.